Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Franks Happy Place posted:

(The only exception is the default Barb axe which is currently too short and really hard to time for new players)

The starting barb axes sucks so badly you really need a felling axe to feel good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BombiTheZombie posted:

It also feels like armor is kind of a trap unless you gain enough of it.

It's very funny worrying about some fighter in full plate and then hitting his head twice and killing him while I'm in barb starting gear.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Franks Happy Place posted:

Spears are crazy OP right now and taking the Ranger perk that lets you use them is a no brainer just FYI.

Such a pain in the rear end fighting someone who's good with the spear.

Just had an 8 kill game on barb with a full team escape using starting gear and a grey felling don't think I'll ever have a run that good again. Still playing around with what perks I want but morale boost did a lot of work that game.

Ran into a barb in another game with a purple felling and tons of damage amp gear and he took off like 75 percent of my hp with a body shot never been whacked that hard before.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

A lot of it is learning the whens, whos, and hows of engaging enemy players based on location and their classes. I've never had better than a white weapon in two playtests and 99 percent of the time I'm running a grey felling and was running that and starter everything else in that game last night where I had 8 kills.

They go after you even though you're only in starter gear because 1. killing players is the most fun 2. you may have loot on ya and 3. fewer people to take portals later on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pain of Mind posted:

The gameplay loop is ok so far, but I wish it populated maps with people similar in level. It is not really that fun to come across a team of 3 people in advanced gear when I am a level 1 in the starting gear. I have played for a few hours and never even seen a portal. I can survive a decent amount of time when portals are spawning and do well in PvE, but eventually I will come across someone with much better gear or a team and get vaporized.

The game is extremely daunting when you're first starting out - I was bitching and moaning when some friends got me playing during the last playtest because everything seemed so impossible and now we effortlessly clear rooms. I don't think we successfully escaped for awhile. By the end of the playtest I was holding my own pretty well doing some solo runs when nobody was around to play.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

DarkAvenger211 posted:

The only thing I wish existed were more ways to alternate your swings and some kind of blocking or parry mechanic for all melee weapons. I say this as someone who pretty much just plays Barbarian.

It usually ends up being the first person to land a hit just wins but it also feels so bad to go at someone with a shield and having my already extremely slow attack stopped instantly and with a longer recovery. There's just no counter play there and it kind of sucks, if I could at least block their attacks there might be a back and forth, but instead the only course of action is for me to just keep swinging and hope they miss their blocks since for some reason barbarians are also one of the slower classes (without rage anyway).

I only play barb and you can pretty much two tap someone's head so the "counter play" is to pick your swings wisely. Depending on the perks you've taken you can usually turn it around even if they get the first hit on you - I bet most fights against fighters they get the first tap on me and I still come out on top way more often than I don't.

You could also try dual wielding which I think might be the superior playstyle due to not being as punishing for misses and blocks and I think being able to put out more DPS (since axe perk applies to both) but I'm still not used to it like I am with the felling axe so I haven't been able to use it to its full potential.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 12, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

Horseman axe is absolutely broken. My barb is hitting for over 100 on a headshot. Also if someone shields just jump and swing at their head.

Yeah...it's pretty good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It'd also split the playerbase which would suck.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lister posted:

After playing with my friend, I have to think that felling axes or barbs are going to get a nerf some kind of way. Or the other classes will get more perks or items to raise up their power levels.

I'm fine with them nerfing felling axe (though only slightly) even though it feels really good to chop with because I think dual wield is the actual strongest build but hasn't filtered out to the community yet.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There is a point if someone is geared enough or in the right way the odds of you coming out on top are close to nil. I posted about going against another barb who took off like 70 percent of my hp in one body shot so the fight was pretty much over at that point - he was blue/purped up with plus physical and amp damage gear and effortlessly cut through my team. That was the only time that's happened though I'd say we usually come out on top more often than not against people in blues/greens and the occasional purple when we're greyed/whited up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dsf posted:

im not sure how much long term longevity this game is gonna have once its actually out for a bit and the high-roller 3 mans start getting seriously geared up. already starting to see what a huge difference geared players have only 1 week into the playtest and the imbalance is only going to get worse and that much harder for people starting out to get a foothold.

I got into the game last playtest and what I was looking forward to was someone else who has a budget to do it "properly" would start work on a clone after it blew up. My ideal would be something like a mix between this and DMZ. Like an "overworld" with towns and dungeons scattered about.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

There's aim involved too - if you can consistently hit headshots and they can't you're going to come out on top. I'd say I come out on top more often than not against other barbs and fighters because I'm hitting my headshots more consistently than they are. I just wish I'd discovered how good dual wielding is sooner because you can dice their heads up right quick and not be punished as severely as with the two handers when you do gently caress up.

I wouldn't mind a game with a more complex combat system but I'm fine with this game being what it is. It's why I don't understand calls for a PvE only mode - it'd get dreadfully boring pretty quickly with the game as it currently plays.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jimbot posted:

By reading the last few pages sounds like the class I chose, barbarian, really has a tougher time of it in the beginning because that default weapon sounds like it's right trash compared to the most basic white quality axe you can buy from the shop. I probably wouldn't have bitched and complained as much if the two-handed axe felt like a two-handed axe and not a really slow, stubby one-handed axe that did slightly more damage.

It's not the quality of the starter axe that makes it bad - it's the animation/speed. I'd take a felling axe with nerfed damage as a replacement starter weapon just because it feels so much better to swing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I went to the subreddit and it's like the Elden Ring one was between the release of the reveal trailer and the gameplay trailer. And I can understand em both.

Was talking to my buddy about how awesome a version of this game that was just Diablo 2 would be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think the portals are fine and only really lovely when the circle is around hallways or you're in an area with multiple floors but the way DMZ does extraction is way better and I hope someone who rips this off does some version of it.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 17, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

Static extractions are really lovely, just look at Tarkov. There are people who's gameplay loop is solely camping extractions. Obviously, some classes would be better at it than others, ie ranged. Imagine rangers or wizards getting to a portal room or whatever early, shutting off all of the lights and hopping up to an area that's hard to see but easy to shoot or fireball down from. You have to remember in this type of game, people will always flock to playing as the lowest common denominator.

Also, there is a static extract in goblin caves.

Never played Tarkov but I like DMZ having multiple so you can strategize which one will probably be best to avoid other players. I'm not envisioning an exact clone of this game when I say someone else iterates and I'm mostly fine with how portals work (again apart from a team getting hosed if the last circle isn't around a large-ish room).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

the key to having plenty of portals is to butcher the entire lobby. I'm not even really kidding about that either.

personally I would change nothing about the portal system. I don't think blues are really that scarce and after you've got a little bit of a bank, not extracting isn't a big deal when you can just drop your weapon and your jewelry to a team mate, or just hop in a red portal where the chances of a good player making it out are pretty high unless all the portals spawn in a boss room or they get ganked

The only times the portals get really annoying is in the hallways with multiple floors or the trap maze but you are correct that you should be as aggressive as possible to knock out anybody who could be taking your portals later on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

There's only on red portal, right? I honestly feel like, if anything, that's the portal we need more of.

Nah there are a bunch usually.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jarvisi posted:

I tried this game numerous times with a friend and never succeeded in escaping or getting any loot. It's really frustrating and I'm not sure if I wanna try it more

First playtest we played it took us a lot of tries to get an escape and I really hated the game for a day or two. This time we had a lot of escapes but I personally found it frustrating because all the times I got sick loot were the times we didn't make it out. My 8 kill game I don't think I even made 100 gold. It's one thing to be so poor you can't upgrade your gear before a run but it's another level of frustration when you can't load up on consumables before a run.

ShowTime posted:

I didn't play really at all this test, did 3-person portals get removed entirely or do they still spawn at the end of the match? For the later maps, not the single player one obviously.

I think one should spawn as a last resort but as others said they don't spawn at all.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 19, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mendrian posted:

I mean extracting with sweet loot is a mixed blessing because you're going to lose it on your next run. I'm sure an extreme minority of players can slowly put together a collection of good gear but for most players it just flows like water.

It is pretty funny rocking greys and looting some team you just wiped and they got blues and purps.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Was mainly a fighter this play test and really like them, I’ll do another next time but also looking forward to really trying a rogue and a ranger, both seem extremely apt for solo bullshittery. Didn’t have much time to level both up to really play around with the perks.

I played barb last two playtest and I feel dumb not trying fighter because longsword and halberd look so fun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Had a blast with a high dmg blue Halberd I looted from some corpse. Many triple kills especially when they try to run or bunch up together with cleric.

Yeah the moveset looked great and the range is a bonus. As busted as everyone says the felling axe is the range is tiny and I don't think you can drag it to hit multiple enemies as well as you can with other weapons.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

the game's melee system very importantly doesn't have built-in feints, easy parries or blocks, or whiff attack into bullshit animation cancels that plague games like mordhau

even if your opponent does some crazy hitbox matrix poo poo, their attack is still readable and you know they're swinging and that if they miss you have a window to go hit them and everyone at all levels of play can recognize it!

I was looking at the first person melee games to tide me over and saw some video and that poo poo was way too involved. It'd be cool to play something with a bit more depth than Dark and Darker but the Mordhau poo poo was ridiculous. Definitely take the simplicity of dnd over that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

comedyblissoption posted:

even some of the good players in those games hate that the game looks like a ballerina dance

the most egregious design decision in mordhau and chivalry is letting players cancel the recovery of their whiffed attacks. nevermind that it heavily punishes players for not knowing this silly mechanic exists or makes the game look stupidly spammy. this mechanic devalues the fundamentals of footwork, spacing, and timing.

in the fighting game genre, the developers design their games so that players can punish whiffed attacks for a good reason!

I also hate UIs with a bunch of stuff popping up though I don't know if Mordhau etc allow you to shut that off.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You're supposed to wear armor cuz it looks cooler.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Playing Destiny 2 is the most embarrassing part.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

First Gundam Evolution now this...I can't catch a break.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's amazing that the most basic dungeons and dragons game that looks like a unity asset flip would end up in this situation.

Weren't Nexon the ones who forged Richard Garriott's signature on some stock documents while he was in space and had to pay out the nose for doing it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Concurred posted:

I think that was NCSoft

You are correct. Sorry to slander you Nexon please do not sue me.

Mendrian posted:

There's some kind of metaphor in here.

A company makes up a property but doesn't like it very much, so cans the project. A bunch of people involved decide they want to make that project, so go off and build it from scratch, but it's pretty popular and now the company is suing for ownership of a property they didn't even want to use.

Like I understand the legal situation but there is something so infuriating about a company actively throwing away a good idea and then crying foul only because it stands to make money.

Do you think they tried to buy-out D&D first? Can they acquire it if they win?

I missed that they canned the project. How does it get more ridiculous lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Waiting for a clone would suck both because of the timeframe and the inevitability they gently caress something up and make a core aspect worse.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I think Nexon should be shuttered permanently personally.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kchama posted:

Toby Fox kept talking how small and indie he was and how little money he had. And then it was discovered that he actually worked for Warner Bros or Sony and was being funded by them and had been using the stories of being broke indie dev to get extra sympathy money and sales.

What.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh the way you wrote it was like that's what actually happened with him and I thought I missed some big story.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

And did Koreans really think IRONMACE was just a scrappy indie startup? The game itself could be made by a few people since the assets are pretty much all purchased but you can't support playtests the size they did without charging unless you got some real money backing you.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Oh I know it's how they presented themselves but you gotta know a small indie group wouldn't be able to support hosting the number of players and matches they did once the game blew up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lemming posted:

The details are all stupid and I don't care. Nobody's a murderer or racist or sexually assaulting people. Whoever is stopping the game from being made is the one who sucks. Let me play.

Yup.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Even if IRONMACE had stolen everything wholesale they should let them release the game. Not like they're putting out their own.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The playtest will begin next week. I can't wait.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ShowTime posted:

Who’s gonna tell him?

One week from today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ShowTime posted:

People in the Discord and subreddit are flipping out because Graysun streamed a Spotify playtest with songs like "soon" and "just wait" but also songs like "two years" and "just kidding". He also waved bye when he was done.

Some real addicts out there.

Why are they freaking out? The playtest is in three days.