Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm having fun with the game so far. I like the aesthetic of the stuff in the city as the subtly changed braytech assets show that everything in neomuna is from the golden age. That little bit of storytelling through environment is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Most of my deaths, or the most noticeable ones, have been due to getting instantly killed by knockbacks and the physics engine. Turns out that trying to get into melee range is a bad idea against cabal. So I switched from a one-two punch shotgun to a sniper and things went way smoother.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Trinity Ghoul has been the MVP with a punchy arc hunter build. The punchy part isn't going as well as it did last year but I do like how all the mods and fragments support a game plan where you run in, do some damage, then run around at mach speed with your resilience and recovery at max. Reminds me of that one build I saw people running where you used frostees and stay invisible most of the time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I figured the italics are from hitting shield as I've seen them in different colors, corresponding to the shields that enemies have.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

General Battuta posted:

Someone tell me what happens in this one in a reasonably factual manner so that I know for future lore, tia

Golden age people moved to Neptune, uploaded their brains into a darkness(?) powered isekai computer and hid from the rest of humanity. The witness wants to fight the demon king and needs the thing powering the computer. So they get some jobber to do it and idk I'm not all the way finished with the campaign you should just play it and pay attention yourself

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

life_source posted:

Dont talkto battuta like that you ooeve of poo poo ehey deserve your reapect

You ok dude?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Nimbus is an entirely new entry into the series and is some Joss Wheedon / Marvel style cringe. There’s no reason for the cloudstriders to even exist lol, and if there is, the campaign certainly didn’t show it

It makes sense. They're the city's protectors while the rest of the population uploaded their consciousness to the cloud.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Then I don't get your problem with them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
They're kinda lame but idk why you're so worked up about it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Because witch queen was good and this one is very, very bad

Cool.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Low level Cabal having strand shields on like mission 2 and Osiris never even saying something like “ah yes, I have decided to call this fundmental power “strand”, guardian” and instead everyone just calling it “Strand” from the jump is some extremely funny poo poo.

Pretty clear signs of organizational breakdown and getting lost in your own design, love to see it in year 9 of this game.

Do you actually like games or do you just complain about them all the time?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Has there always been a red circle indicating where drop pods are going to land or is it a new thing for the expansion?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PathAsc posted:

Bungie Twitter

Ohhhhhh

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'm gonna keep mine at level 6 forever

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Just can't beat this Tormentor. I'm very much enjoying redoing this fight only to get grabbed by the Tormentor and killed. It's hell good. I love it

The knockback that turns off your grapple is also pretty fun.

I had to switch my build for the last boss and used
Krait with one for all / subsistence
Telesto
Lmg with vorpal/autoloading hey man it's all I had to kill tormenters

Telesto did some work at boss damage, it was really fun.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Maybe it's different in a fireteam but I just don't have the agility to outrun them for the 5 minutes it takes to whittle them down

I was using a wendigo against them but switched to an lmg for the last fight and realized how tormenters work.

They have glowing spots that you shoot. The first two are on the shoulders and when you pop them they get aggressive and start actively chasing you down. You'll see a notification on the screen when a tormenter is chasing you.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The seasonal armor for female hunters has high heels

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The incursion activity has the same problem I've had with similar activities in patrol zones (escalation protocol, altars of sorrow) where no one else shows up so I'm trying to complete the thing by myself.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Let me know how you go with it. It seems really loving dumb to me but I've only just started playing Destiny so I dunno if you're supposed to group up for these missions or not.

The legendary campaign is assuming you have somewhat optimal weapons, build, and game plan. Trying it as a new player seems impossible.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

haveblue posted:

Yeah legendary mode assumes you are matching shield elements and are supported by a good mod loadout (at least for the parts where it isn’t forcing you to use a different subclass). Trying to go through it with just the first few drops you got in your Destiny career is way harder than intended, and it’s intended to be really hard

The forced strand parts were the most difficult for me as I couldn't just endlessly punch my way out of things.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is mobility worth it?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I was doing the quests for the new exotics in the patrol zones and have a shitload of keys now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Waroduce posted:

Through the campaign on my Titan and Hunter, Strand nearly totally unlocked on both and getting my hands on the now disabled Glaive today :(

I really enjoyed Lightfalls legendary campaign gameplay. I cleared most of it with 3 the first time through and the solo/duo'd my hunter. It is much much easier solo since the scaling is so aggressive. It feels easier and lower stakes compared to WQ which is a bit disappointing, but overall from a gameplay perspective I don't have any complaints. I enjoyed figuring out all the encounters with my friends, the only one that really sticks out is trio-ing the boss with the red wall of death as really tedious. My only gameplay campaign negative was being forced to use strand since it seemed to make some of the encounters harder to clear and was very disorienting irt how I was playing. Def breaks the flow state. Callus seemed pretty braindead to me zip around the outside platforms, murder tormenters as they pop and whittle him down. Shoot and scoot. The final bit was a fun surprise. I used alot of Witherhoard and Outbreak Perfected. LMGs seem to be the answer to alot of problems too.

The story seemed really disjointed and I get why people were like WTF is the veil? I barely pay attention to The Destiny Lore and even I though Nimbus was really annoying. This is supposed to be some Very Serious Business (TM) and this dudes really not reading the room. I also disliked that this expansion was an incredibly contrived Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles learn your power grasshopper adventure. It felt like a bunch of filler bullshit and they could have cut like 2-3 of those campaign levels and added in something else. WQ actually got me to pay attention because it felt very interesting and high stakes and like it all actually mattered.

The seasonal is alot of fun and feels like they should have reversed the story lines of the expansion and the seasonal tbh. Give us strand across a season with all that bullshit and let us do things that matter in the campaign. I like it, but the end section drags a little but overall, probably the bestest they've done to date. It's really rough when you have two blueberries though and YOU are the one doing all the mechanics. Hoepfully this fades as the seasons progresses.

Mods seem very superfical with set general BIS options in your head and feet leaving you to basically make decisions around how you want to stack your regen options in your arms and class items. Chest is defensive mods ezpz. You're running Heavy Ammo Finder/Scout/Siphon in your head and 2x Damage boosts with your flavor of orb pick up (or kinetic damage) in your feet. I think the only time I'd give up the weapons boosts would be for an Arc Titan style build where I just want the grenade all the time.

I really miss some of the more cross style builds from the well system where you could synergize across classes to provide benefits to people like just having a casual well of life on since the warlocks in your fireteam are popping solar wells.

Speaking of mods the general early meta seems to revolve around answering how do I keep suspend and/or woven mail up as much as possible and LOL Volatile Flow is broken. You can run void weapons for volatile rounds even if you're not void and I would encourage everyone to do it if anything is giving you a hard time. Repulsor braces will give you over shields after picking up an orb with volatile flow effectively making you invincible. Looking forward to playing with some of the deeper strand options and unlocks in the season pass since I'm currently built with a bunch of void and unstoppable glaive.

I think hunters have some interesting suspend options with sixth coyote, but the support class seems to be Titan since we can proc Woven Mail for our whole fireteam by popping tangles. Need to mess with Glaive vs HoIL, do not enjoy Synco's and decide on a good loop to keep Mail up on everyone (and myself). Titan melee feels a little underwhelming but I'm using it to finish lower health opponents and force a tangle. Legend Lost Sector is a good time but I'm not good enough to flawless it yet RIP. Strand Titan feels like living your life 10 seconds at a time. Need a good way to keep the orbs and tangles flowing. Currently set up running HoIL Strand with Witherhoard, Repulsor Unforgiven, Repulsor Commemoration or a timelost corrective measure depending on how i feel. Volatile Flow op. Going to experiment with the strand exotic I think but the icicle spikes are tempting.

Titan Fragments I think Mind, Generation and Warding are pretty great. I'd run the demo one for a boss encounter and currently experimenting with the one that makes tangles on weapon kill if woven. I really like the precision kills on suspended targets makes orbs since its a non-mod dependent orb generator and something you can proc when you need it for Volatile and Woven.

Post campaign the Machine Gun quest is most excellent and I think the Glaive quest is one of the best things to do when you pass campaign. It gives powerful's at every tier and will feed you strand bucks and vendor rep. Really enjoyed the weekly sparrow race thing that you get to do too. Vex incursions is really fun cool idea, I hope they do more of that.

Overall I think its a pretty solid B being dragged by the tone, pace and forced strand, but I consider this expansion to be more of a tech debt payment/systems update. The overhauled systems I think are an A+ rn. I think it will be a huge positive and I love what they're doing to light level.

Now just into the Powerful/Pinnacle loop and getting all my stuff to 1780 for the raid yay :)

Cool.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kith posted:

I've already done a hot line of Acceptance off of the Witness's rear end, I'm still confused

there's no collision on Rohan so you can look up his rear end

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I thought the legendary campaign was incredibly tough but doable if I played well, and adapted my loadouts to the current fight. I wanted to punch my way through things and realized I couldnt do that all the time. So I swapped tactics and beat it fair and square.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Tormentors kinda suck unless you're using specials or heavy weapons that excel at precision damage. Spamming wendigo grenades at them felt pretty useless but an LMG made them mincemeat during the legendary campaign

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like it. When I switched my secondary to a sniper rifle the last boss was super easy. The visuals are cool, I like the technoverse at the end, and it's pretty short otherwise.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Are there any ui mods that show buffs in a better way? It's kinda hard to see what's up when there's only 5 things that can be shown at once.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I still use arc hunter and it's basically dodge in, punch a dude to make them explode, repeat while liars handshake and collecting orbs heal me. Use trinity Ghoul on the next pack to soften them up and repeat.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sunday at work posted:

Having just two people to defend an entier city is dumb. Chosing to make one of them a teenager with no expericne of anything is really dumb. Giving that teenager a lethal amount of body modification (and then I guess hoping they are a quick study) is irresponsible and unethical and dumb.

Yeah it'd also be stupid to have a movie where a bus can't drop below 55mph or an fbi agent infiltrate a surfer gang that robs banks. Man glad no one's ever just made decisions because they thought it was cool

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

drat dude, entire galaxies and then gets jobbered by a single planetary system.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

VanillaGorilla posted:

Yeah no, sorry, gently caress this vexcaliber mission. Awful check pointing and endless waves of poo poo as “challenge”.

This lackluster expansion has done more to gate off chunks of this game as, apparently, just not for me than anything in D2 has in quite some time. I completed operation seraph and a bunch of hard solo poo poo in Witch Queen and had a great time but Lightfall is just one kick in the dick after another. I’m honestly at a loss for who finds some of this poo poo “fun”.

I guess if they’re really just all in on catering to a bunch of hardcores to the exclusion of every actual human being playing this game then I wish them well with it.

I thought it was difficult but doable and fun once I focused and played well. It was a good challenge and required a little bit of thinking with what build to use at certain points. Even felt a little disappointed when I finished because i just used a chill clip fusion on the last phase of the boss to chain stuns while also running around the arena in a panic trying to scrounge up more special ammo because I was really bad at aiming the wendigo at longer ranges.

IDK how it's considered hardcore when it's just a stupid optional weapon with a difficult challenge that you could do in a group.

Edit: I was also at 1810 with artifact power included.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 12, 2023

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Seperate difficulties, and stop gating anything except cosmetics and titles behind the higher difficulty. It's really simple, and every other game manages to do it.

You have normal difficulty, which is normal and suitable for your average person. You have hard, which is a challenge and is suitable for people who want to push themselves. And here's the important thing - when you tune the difficulty upwards, you tune it upwards for hard, not normal. If you really want to welcome casuals in, you make an easy difficulty, for when people - like kith said earlier - just want to chill and play with fun guns in the fun guns game.

Again this is absolute basic poo poo that every other game manages to do, but Bungie's design team seem fixated on the idea that hard difficulty is the difficulty everyone should aspire to and be funneled into playing, as opposed to an extra challenge for a small core of players who want more. And that's never been true in any game.

The bulk of the playerbase in most games are casuals. And if Bungie are going to go hard on making a game that's just for poopsockers, they're going to find out exactly how toxic a fanbase can get when they're your core playerbase.

People got all gamer karen at the legendary campaign, I don't think separate difficulties will make them happy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bobby Deluxe posted:

which is having everyone play on the same difficulty and pushing players into legendary if they want the catalyst / exotic.

I don't see the problem with this. There can be room for difficult things in games. This is also a massive rehash of every difficulty in games argument that has ever occurred where you either get people complaining that poo poo's too easy so why bother; people wanting harder content to make completion, and rewards from completion, more meaningful; and people who bring up a list of excuses on why they don't think content should be hard, such as "catering to tryhards, hardcores, streamers" or wanting to play casually and not put in effort. I hate it, and find it extremely tedious. This poo poo sucks and feels like I'm playing gin rummy with my grandma only every card has some scrubquote on it.

However I do agree with some people's takes in that some of the difficulty scaling is really weird and doesn't make sense, like how legendary lost sectors right now are kinda bullshit a bunch of streamers lamented that the contest mode for the raid felt easier than doing the legendary campaign.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kesper North posted:

Not empty quotin'

Watch out, lots of people this thread will tell you that LLS is "ezpz" and that you just need to "git gud" and that if you can't do LLS, "destiny might not be the game for you" :nallears:

Ok

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

tyrelhill posted:

yes this is clearly my fault. not that i need 1 to finish weekly pinnacle and its the last one i have to complete

Delete that one and buy one of the random ones, it's the rightmost selection.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Every stat other than resilience and recovery is a dump stat for all my characters.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You guys are really dumb. The issue was that contest mode, a thing made to be a challenge, wasn't a challenge. That's it. That's all they're complaining about.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Most of them were complaining about the mechanics being too simple, which is not something that changes once challenge mode goes away.

The annoying thing about this is when the gun tuning feels generally awful but they accidentally make one gun feel really good to use, and then everyone starts using it; so instead of asking why people are using that one gun they detune it so it feels as poo poo as everything else, because of course the only reason anyone would be using one gun is because it's overpowered in crucible, right?

That is part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Aqua Dracula posted:

For me, one of the best parts of Witch Queen campaign was getting the void subclass rework simultaneously and using it throughout the whole campaign to learn how to use it properly in challenging content. They should have just given you Strand from the rip and let you actually learn it over time yourself instead of the stupid Osiris yells at you for two minutes segments.

People didn't read the tooltips when they popped up one by one in each segment to teach you the class bit by bit. Do you think that just letting them have everything and letting them learn on their own would have been more helpful?