Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

[ASK] me about taking four newbies at the same time through Vow of the Disciple.

It was fine. It took a couple of hours, but we got it done and everyone was patient and understanding of each other's learning curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I tried playing D1 but it's really hard without mantling and class abilities. I don't mean in terms of skill, I mean in terms of really, really missing having those abilities.
I flip back and forth between playing D2 and playing Satisfactory and man do I miss mantling in the latter.

Cheap Trick posted:

Then based on how pressured I felt while soloing the Xenophage quest, I must be the living embodiment of "skill issue".
3GC has some weird definition of "easily", but their point does stand that all dungeons are designed to be possible to solo. So while bosses may take half a dozen damage phases to kill, you'll never run into mechanics that require more than one person.

I wish they would scale boss health or damage phase durations to fireteam size though, just to make solo dungeons a bit less of a slog. Ghalran is a clear example of this, where the mechanics phase can be done in one trip into the nightmare realm if you're in a team, but you need two trips if you do it solo meaning you need to spend several more minutes doing mechanics between each damage phase in addition to requiring more damage phases. There's a trick to extending the damage phase by ~10 seconds, but it still takes way too long and there's a bunch of bullshit physics that can randomly kill you no matter how well you play.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The biggest problem with Taken Phalanxes is their knockback attack has immense range. You think you're safe because you're far away but nope, you just get knocked right off the map by a phalanx on the other side of the room.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

arsenicCatnip posted:

Rhulks fight makes more sense with the detail that he isn't taking it seriously until the final stand and is basically just loving with you until then
Rhulk is such a comic book villain and it's why Vow is the best raid.

My headcanon is Rhulk is in that pyramid because the Witness got tired of his constant monologuing and gave it to him as a playground just to keep him busy.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Also funny to be like 'we care about accessibility, also we are removing the lowest difficulty setting.'
I see it more as "There's no real difference in difficulty between a strike and adept nightfall, so there's no reason to have both."

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PERMACAV 50 posted:

the utility of always on time is honestly massively overstated; it’s just good for the opening of DSC and that middle part of grasp.

The real best sparrow is the StarHobbyHorse.
People really overvalue Always On Time.

You can easily make the DSC sparrow section without ever boosting anywhere except a few jumps, and it's not the sparrowing that makes the Grasp gauntlet tricky, it's not getting randomly physics killed by the launchers at the end.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A lot of stuff in the game at this point is tribal knowledge and is never directly explained. There's nothing in game that explains the armor mod system for instance, but you don't need to worry about that as it's all changing on Tuesday anyway.

Or Xur showing up in odd places each weekend to sell you random exotics for legendary shards. This weekend he's up in the big tree in Watcher's Grave on Nessus.

Each lost sector needs to be completed once on normal before you get the option to do it on legend/master difficulty, and this is per-character. Only one lost sector is available each day for higher difficulty, and completing it gives you a chance of getting exotic armor for a specific slot. It will prioritize giving you armors you don't have yet.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

I've been getting back into the game (finally finished Beyond Light campaign kinda, it's now telling me to see Variks for post-campaign missions) and this is very new to me. How do I find the daily lost sector for doing this, is there some way of knowing which one on which planet it is? Or is it just whatever lost sector you choose to do on the higher difficulty and that gets locked-in for the day if you complete on the higher difficulty?
It's a rotating list of lost sectors (and not all of them is in the list every season) that changes daily. You can either click around on the Director until you find it, which is made difficult because it won't show unless you have access to it (Bungieeee! :argh:). Or you can look at a site like todayindestiny.com or bray.tech under the Weeklies heading.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

Yeah legendary mode assumes you are matching shield elements and are supported by a good mod loadout (at least for the parts where it isn’t forcing you to use a different subclass). Trying to go through it with just the first few drops you got in your Destiny career is way harder than intended, and it’s intended to be really hard
And you can always go back and do it on legendary later when you have more equipment/experience. Doing it on normal doesn't prevent you from doing it again on legendary later and getting the legendary difficulty rewards.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Even if you do it legitimately and don't cheese it the Calus fight is incredibly unimaginative. Calus himself is barely a threat, the threat is all from the Tormentors and getting booped into the void by incendiors.

One of the biggest threats we've faced lore wise and the random servitor boss in Warden of Nothing has better fight mechanics.

Cheese it just to get it over with, you're not missing anything.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Should I do anything with my yellow weapons and armor? Is there a way to upgrade them or see if they are worth using still?
Yellow background (exotic) guns and armor are still fine. If you mean yellow border (masterworked) it depends on if they're sunset or not.

Any weapon with a grey corner such as the one on the left here can be safely discarded, those guns have been sunset and can't be raised above the power floor.

As for armor, I didn't play during the pre-Armor 2.0 days, but was armor ever sunset or was it just converted to Armor 2.0? Nowadays armor has 6 different stats like your typical MMO. Max total stats is 68, with a max of 30 in any one stat. Until you've found your footing again, just wear whatever you have that has the highest Resilience.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 6, 2023

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah I was talking about exotics. I guess I just smash higher leveled same items into it and that raises the stats.

I would like to use my lion rampant. I remember being able to zoom around with those.
Yeah exotics were never sunset (though some of them have been somewhat left behind by power creep) so you can still use your favorite year 1 exotics and just need to infuse them to bring the power level up.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Mods?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I don't like the midpoint boss in Lake of Shadows. The taken meatball wasn't fun in Gambit and it isn't fun in nightfalls.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The blight on the floor only spreads while the cruxes are up. Shoot them as soon as they spawn and you have all the space in the arena available.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Remove deepsights and make the pattern unlock after you've trashed x copies of the gun.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I wish they'd put less subclass specific perks on the artifact and more neutral ones.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Glad to see my ACD/0 Feedback Fence playstyle is safe.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was doing Bay of Drowned Wishes on Master as strand titan yesterday, and is it just a thing on master or is the strand suspend really only meant to stun unstoppables for 2-3 seconds? Obviously the suspend lasts much longer, but you get a very short time before they regain their damage resistance.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Harbinger, Presage, Seraph Station, all great exotic quest activities.

Whetstone, not that.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ullerrm posted:

NGL, I wasn't a huge fan of Harbinger. Having Match Game active with all three shield colors meant that Arbalest (or a kinetic with Osmosis) was practically mandatory. The constantly respawning Vandal snipers in the big arena were a huge pain and basically locked you into always building for solar resist. It felt good on difficulty, had nice design and nice story payoffs, but it had a very fixed and inflexible solution build-wise.

IMO Presage and Seraph Station managed to have a nice level of difficulty, and even better impacts on story, while also offering much more flexibility in builds.

How about Zero Hour? The jumping puzzle was needlessly hard (I will have perpetual PTSD about the around-the-corner jump from the transformer) but Trevor was fantastic and the two arena fights felt decent.

Whisper I could do without. It was 6-8 minutes of jumping puzzle followed by a mediocre arena fight, done. My fastest Heroic clear was 11min, and that's way too short.
I see your point about Harbinger kind of forcing you to build a specific way, although that was a more general problem of Match Game being overly restrictive back then. It was hard, but it was also very satisfying to finally complete a solo flawless run.

Vox Obscura was okay, but I didn't enjoy it as much as I enjoyed Presage or Seraph Station.

I never did Whisper or Zero Hour, I came into the game at the tail end of Arrivals and didn't really start playing in earnest until Beyond Light.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

haveblue posted:

Vox Obscura was a time limit done right (or at least better), since it kicked you back to a checkpoint or mission start on failure. Presage and Seraph let you take your time and absorb them which is the right thing to do for a mission in a cool brand new environment
Master Presage had a 25 minute time limit, but that was plenty of time as long as you were somewhat familiar with the mission.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I attempted solo master presage twice but ran out of time about halfway through the boss fight both times. There was no triumph or other reward for doing it solo on master so I didn't put a ton of effort into it but it felt like it was doable.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

What? Strafe Lift is jumping puzzle easy mode.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

magiccarpet posted:

After a bit of a break I'm trying to get back into the game, but this GODDAMN TORMENTOR has kicked me off the platform in Parting the Veil twelve times and I'm done for a few weeks. I don't understand this game.
That mission really wants you to use Strand with the grapple, it's a utter pain in the dick if you don't have a way to save yourself from its knockback punting you off the platform.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

PERMACAV 50 posted:

Absolutely batshit read. This loser hosed with DMG's family so hard Washington came up with a new kind of tort.
For as much poo poo as people give Bungie it's heartening to see them stand up for their employees like this and confront the shitstains who think they're immune behind the keyboard.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

This year's solstice armor looking classy af.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

smallmouth posted:

I did my first legendary lost sector today. The cosmodrome one is nice because you aren’t trapped in the room with the boss and you can turtle. I got the telesto catalyst.
:toot:

Assuming you mean Exodus Garden 2A, it's one of many lost sectors where the champions are a bigger speedbump than the boss. There's one section where you get a barrier and an overload at the same time and it can be a right pain in the rear end, especially on master where the overload will just about oneshot you while getting shielded by the barrier.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol well gently caress, the only triumphs that count for this last cheevo are Dredgen, Rivensbane, and Cursebreaker. I'm not going to grind the raid or Gambit, and I'm not waiting over a month to shoot an egg, so screw that lmao

I did get Vidmaster though :toot:
Getting the last steam achievement was my main motivation for completing Cursebreaker.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

TheTrend posted:

Jesus who still wears skull fort.
Skullfort with thunderclap is some of the most fun you can have in this game. Sorry Cannon Brace, but as long as you don't restore full melee on a single kill you'll always play second fiddle to the objectively superior arc melee exotic.

RBA Starblade posted:

Also for the hell of it, my current dude. He's seen better days

It makes me smile to see his rusty pieces of poo poo next to all the extra glowy and shining stuff people run around in now
Reject looking like an RGB christmas tree, embrace the tradition of looking like you just started playing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Counterpoint:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The main thing Gambit needs is a reason to play it. The loot has been the same since forever and none of it is noteworthy nowadays. The only reason people touch Gambit at all is to complete seasonal challenges.

They also need to tone down the power/importance of having a good invader, but that alone won't make a difference if there's no incentive to play it in the first place.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The very long transport sections in some activities gets a bit annoying yeah. At least put some token enemies there to break it up.

Ghosts of the Deep is especially annoying in this regard, where you have the whole section between opening the door and getting to the first boss that's almost 10 minutes of just running and swimming with only a handful of enemies along the way.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I was doing the Lightfall campaign on my long-neglected hunter and suddenly enemies stopped moving and killing them just caused them to immediately come back. After a little while I got kicked to orbit and I was unable to relaunch the mission. Time to go to bed.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Showcase has me hyped. :dance:

The Tower model was kind of unimpressive, but I wasn't looking to buy the CE anyway.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Oxyclean posted:

ugh, why's the seasonal LMG gotta be an arc rapid? We already got a craftable one like that.
Yes but Planck's Stride sucks.

All of Eleatic Principle's stats are better than Planck's, and it has a better perk selection.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

aledesma posted:

lol Warlock aspect got disabled
Tends to happen when you can abuse an aspect to remain invulnerable while killing people. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Just create a separate matchmaking pool for people with vac bans.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Ghosts of the Deep solo is miserable even with broken guns. Mostly because it's not the enemies that test your patience, it's the slog before the first boss that's at least twice as long as it needs to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yeah, I believe she has about 10 million HP which is way too much for a dungeon boss imo. Most raid bosses have less or similar health pools.

My hot take is that dungeon boss health should scale with fireteam size. Everything else can be the same, but give the boss 25% less health if there are two players in the fireteam and 50% less if you're solo. It's challenging enough to solo a dungeon, it doesn't need to be such a test of patience too.