Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I appreciated that Eramis didn't forget to level grind, going from pointlessly easy to a significant challenger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKr_UvMhOlU

Wow the witness is tall, if he's looking down on Tormentors / Calus.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Yeah I don't think I agree with the idea the game is almost at the end of it's life cycle. It's pretty clear there is intended to be content beyond The Final Shape.

If they were going to stop active development on Destiny 2 they wouldn't be wasting their time adding so many features and backend content. The fact they're reprising stuff in the game is just something the Warcraft developers have started to figure out now. The game has a tremendous amount of content and they're killing themselves making tons of new stuff that would go away and be irrelevant when they could just spruce up and put in old stuff at significantly less development cost much faster.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Alright fess up, who wrote this?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Honestly though jokes aside, the Cloud Striders are genuinely loving massive. I see why they die in 10 years now. There is no way the human body can sustain that size.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

...Oh. I can't un-see it.

That's a ghost.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Gadzuko posted:

The Witness just being a guy when the traveler is a gigantic unfathomable orb is kind of unsatisfying to me. It can't really end up as Anime Eyes Guy vs. Giant Orb, can it?

The Witness is a paracausal god who most likely used to be a mortal.

My guess is it's a collective entity through an egregor link, and disrupting that will rob him of his divinity and bring him back to a singular, vulnerable individual.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

Will disrupting that link be accomplished by standing on balls or by dunking plates?

How else would you break an egregor link...? This loving guy...:rolleyes:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

sure okay posted:

I'll forgive ghosts for being dumb and I'm sure a ghost somewhere at some point tried to revive a cat to no avail.

What I don't understand is why the Traveler let Hive be revived. I played the whole Witch Queen and still don't fully understand that

The Traveler always intended to choose the Hive as an uplifted species. The Witness just got to them first.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

SUNKOS posted:

I've been getting back into the game (finally finished Beyond Light campaign kinda, it's now telling me to see Variks for post-campaign missions) and this is very new to me. How do I find the daily lost sector for doing this, is there some way of knowing which one on which planet it is? Or is it just whatever lost sector you choose to do on the higher difficulty and that gets locked-in for the day if you complete on the higher difficulty?

Once you do all the lost sectors on normal you'll see it on the planet that it's active's map.

https://www.light.gg/

Or you can use light gg. There is a tab there under Ada-1 that is the daily lost sector and potential rewards. Today, sunday the 26th is Bunker E15. The easiest lost sector in Destiny.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beGLAnX7-J0

The boss theme for the final boss of Root of Nightmares raid. It's definitely a banger.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 28, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

SgtSteel91 posted:

Raid speculation:

There's tones of Calus'/Cabal theme in it, maybe this is the 'kill Calus for realsies' raid?

If you really honestly want to know the final boss of the upcoming raid and so on. If you're really really paying attention you can figure it out yourself.

It's Nezarac. Nezarac is a Psion disciple, joined long before the cabal conquered them. Look at Nezarac Sin's helmet, and then look at the Psion model. I can't believe I never saw it.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Azubah posted:

I thought Nezerac was a guardian/risen?

Nezerac was the general who led the assault on the traveler in the first collapse. The moon pyramid is his flagship.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Astrochicken posted:

So moon pyramid is nezarecs and crashed into the moon during/after the collapse but k-1 anomaly predates it and was also found on the moon ?

Yes. K-1 told Clovis to go to Europa.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I think this was an overall weaker campaign than Witch Queen, but the boss fight with Calus at the end on legend difficulty is an absolute loving banger.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

ponzicar posted:

I've been avoiding online discussions of Lightfall until I finished the campaign, and I'm surprised to see all the extremely online gamers getting mad about it. I guess Witch Queen is a hard act to follow. There's certainly rough spots; it's closer in quality to the pre WQ expansions, but I don't really get the hatred.

The witch queen set a new bar. All of Beyond Light's seasons were setup to the witch queen payoff. This clearly isn't the case with Witch Queen's seasons. It's significantly under that bar and we've regressed to shadowkeep level storytelling. It's a real shame. And there are other problems like strand taking up so much of the campaign, being significantly less powerful than story version, etc.

I don't think the expansion is horrible but they definitely need to up their loving game.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I can confidently say that the Artifact should just be 100% unlockable

I can't see any issues with having all 25 of these unlocked, since a lot of the juicy ones require you to have specific weapons or subclasses equipped, and you won't be stacking too many crazy things.

This would also solve the problem of needing to reset artifact when you want to swap from void to solar to strand etc

Yeah this seems like a fear-based design decision rather than actually playing with it. And even if there are some powerful combinations, they just have to take notes and apply it to the next series because it's not going to last.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

The smart sidearm fuckin rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhcu-Zocklg

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/Aztecross/status/1636812825392820225?s=20

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

New patch lowered the HP of harder difficulty enemies. And good riddance. The tuning wasn't there.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Double post cuz a new Wednesday pseudo-TWAB just hit https://www.bungie.net/7/en/News/article/reflecting-on-lightfall

Feel free to clown on me if I'm wrong but I am really not digging the tone of "the changes we've shipped thus far are good enough and you won't be getting anything else," especially in regards to stuff like Lost Sectors and Neomuna patrol.

This is a fantastic not-twab. Tons of great news.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

What difficulty are we complaining about again? Because the power curve isn't going to increase as seasons go on, and there are significant weapon buffs coming next season. So if legendary lost sectors are a problem now, they're going to be significantly less challenging as time goes on.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Hey guys Destiny 2 is not that hard and frankly, it did need a difficulty increase. It's still a solidly casual experience and with a proper buildcraft (which they are pushing players to do engage in and is easier than ever with loadouts) the difficulty increase outside some overtuned content may as well been an academic exercise. I'm actually right there with you the idea that sometimes I just want to relax and have a gaming burger. And Destiny still easily allows that.

They went too far and balanced it poorly is the actual issue. Use a bow or a SMG in content you find difficult and you'll be surprised at how fast stuff dies. The rest of our weapons are getting tuned up to their level by next season as well as some underused exotics.

So yeah. It's a good thing to get pushed out of comfort zones sometimes. You'll find a new comfort zone level as you improve.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

RBX posted:

Nobody asked for it.

No, people did. They just didn't understand what they were asking for. Everyone has done "The Corrupted" strike and everyone has a story of the blueberry who doesn't understand how the throwing charges work and just makes the entire experience significantly harder for other players. Especially on harder difficulties. Or the nightfall where nobody has champion counters.

It's because the game allowed incredibly passive play in the lower difficulty bands that didn't encourage getting better or creating milestones of improvement for so long is the reason that happens. I think people will be completely surprised at general skill levels once in-game groupfinding is put into the game in the final season.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

quote:

absolutely delusional

Kinda surprised someone is legitimately this upset at conflicting opinions. I suggest trying out other weapons than what you're used to. I'm actually in the camp that Neomuna can be a slog as an example- but I think this is mostly a problem of weapon balance than design of the space itself.

No, challenge and self improvement is actually what drives people to play games in general actually. Especially RPG's. Destiny's issue with challenge is one of balance and rewards. The lower tiers are unbalanced and the difficulty progression got upended and the higher tier doesn't offer rewards commensurate with it's difficulty spike.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Chappy posted:

It’s not a casual experience if you can’t engage the content without optimal weapons and load outs

I absolutely agree. I said so in the post you're quoting. However Destiny is still a pretty casual experience. You can still use sub-optimal builds and weapons in all the content pretty successfully. I went through the entire legendary campaign with a weapon bugged to do 40% less damage and found it pretty reasonably difficult and only learned about the bug after completing it. There were kills of Nezarac with Rat King in Challenge mode as an example.

Being encouraged into the buildcrafting experience is legitimately healthy for the game. And as I said- with a reasonable build any difficulty increase in (not overtuned) content has been mostly academic, especially after the recent rebalance.

quote:

What website do you think you're on lmao

...Touche.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

"Self improvement" doesn't mean you're playing the game to become a better person. The light level grind or item level grinds are examples of "self improvement". RPGs generally get that dopamine hit on progression systems with levels, gear, etc.

fast cars loose anus posted:

No, people generally play games for fun. Nintendogs outsold Elden Ring. Challenge is fine but if you're gonna provide matchmaking things you gotta aim low. I can get better, it appears the randos I get paired with in heroic nightfalls cannot or at least not consistently.

This isn't remotely a comparable thing. Nintendogs is a pet raising simulator. Elden Ring is an action RPG. There is...a bit of a different audience and general gameplay. Conversely, Elden Ring shows that steady progression of difficulty and gameplay that rewards outside the box thinking and exploration is actually really popular.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I find it's more helpful to try to prove someone wrong if you want to get your point across?

quote:

The point being, no, most people don't play games to be challenged, we play them to HAVE FUN and when a previously fun game is made way more annoying and difficult, you should not be surprised when that provokes a negative reaction!

Yep I agree. Infact...

Holy poo poo a post with nuance? Seemingly contradictory points that under further examination aren't really?! posted:

They went too far and balanced it poorly is the actual issue. Use a bow or a SMG in content you find difficult and you'll be surprised at how fast stuff dies. The rest of our weapons are getting tuned up to their level by next season as well as some underused exotics.

Anyway I've banged this drum long enough. Game needed to be slightly harder. We got that. Now we just need significantly better rewards. The difficulty of a legendary lost sector compared to the rewards is absolutely ridiculously skewed.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 6, 2023

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Zokari posted:

why in the gently caress are wyverns so dangerous, is there a lore explanation for that??

The Vex we're fighting right now are their farmers, scientists, miners, managers. Not the dedicated combat units. Wyverns are the first step towards that.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Panderfringe posted:

they got rid of lakshmi to avoid paying the kind of money shohreh demanded

:colbert: They should be grateful it was only that much. Because she's worth every cent.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

For everyone who was flipping their poo poo because bungie didn't release a statement on it and so they assumed bungie was totally fine with everything, yeah, it is good.

The game is good, but Destiny has one of the whiniest goddamn fanbases I've ever seen goddamn. That's not specifically related to the previous statement either.

Destiny is fun, and really great general gameplay. But they -clearly- are sunsetting the game and it's frustrating they're letting the game die by 1000 cuts.

When "We don't have the resources to make 1 armor set for free anymore" is openly admitted, it's a problem. This is their cash cow that is funding their other games.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Mill Village posted:

The only mode that's on life support is Gambit.

And yet we're paying more, for less.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I can't say I've been enjoying Joe Blackburn's product since after Witch Queen launch but that video he put out is a fantastic example of leadership and taking responsibility and I'm immensely proud of him for doing so.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Wow that was a BAD showcase. They really are pretty much abandoning Destiny it looks like.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

what were you watching dude

The one where they go into maintenence mode with 3 instead of 4 seasons a year. No post final shape expansion. No new darkness subclass. Nothing there was aspirational or unique. This was the absolute loving bare minimum.

Nothing here represents "responding to criticism" like Joe brought up.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Kith posted:

>still getting new content
>maintenance mode

lol ok buddy

titan players have been bitching for years about how our supers are all roaming melee or extremely niche. arsenal is not that. there are many other things i could point out but that's one off of the top of my head

I want you to remember this moment. When "Episodes" are just longer seasons, I want you to apologize to me.

Nothing about this showcase was a response to criticism that has been lobbied at the game.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Pirate Jet posted:

Jesus Christ.

I understand people are really excited for the fun new content. The Pale Heart looks genuinely fun. But let's be real. This is just going to be the seasonal model we have now with a little more time on it. And when I'm right about that and people complain about it, I'm going to feel pretty vindicated. Admittedly this is better than what we have now.

quote:

What's the criticism that's being lobbied at the game that this showcase didn't respond to?

There was a lot of criticism to not just seasonal model but pricing, etc. Joe implied there was more information on that in his twitter video. I'm not seeing anything even in this post show that responds to any criticism that has been bouncing around.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Firebert posted:

The real takeaway is that the game is actually done after TFS, despite what they told us. Or their ‘modular content’ or whatever the hell they called it is going to be threadbare or written by machine learning.

I pointed this out during the showcase reveal and folk were really upset about this. Which I get, the content looks great and hype happens. Bad timing. But yeah it's pretty clear Destiny has aggressively been put on maintenance and now it's about wringing blood from the stone.

It's a real shame. After the Witch Queen I -genuinely- believed the hype that "Destiny's best days are ahead of us". All the problems of the game at that point were clearly fixable. Seeing all this happen is extremely disappointing. Destiny deserved better.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

I'm not sure you need to be "online enough" to recognize posters showing up to go "this proves me right when I said the game was dying"

I am taking a victory lap, about being right. Sure. That doesn't mean I don't think this loving sucks, which I kind of made clear? Destiny deserves better. And it deserves high quality employees like Liana Ruppert edit: and everyone else fired today to make that vision a reality. But these incompetent loving executives are objectively ruining a fantastic product that realistically could have no competition with more investment chasing short term profits.

It's not a gimmick or doomposting to simply point out I see the quality is rapidly decreasing, the price is increasing, the monetization is the worst it's ever been, player numbers are explicitly half of what they were at the same time last year, and Bungie is clearly in a loving tailspin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Holy gently caress. What? I hope this isn't true. Michael is a golden goose. The audio team has NEVER MISSED.