Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Tarsem Singh's Dungeons and Dragons (2006)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I think its very important to remember that during the era Bell was active, a lot of the conspiracy poo poo he dealt with was seen as more "acceptable", for lack of a better word, than it is today. Like, the problems were always there just beneath the surface, but the popular opinion was that is was perfectly harmless at the time. And pop-culture was more than happy to mine that stereotype for comedy gold - look at those kooks, aren't they silly? Surely they'd never be able to pull off an insurrection! Your Dale Gribble's, that radio guy from 2012 - or for that matter, just about everything Roland Emmerich's ever done - that's what the average American thought when they heard "conspiracy theories" back in the day.

It wasn't until QAnon found an audience and people started to realize just what kind of person was actually eating this poo poo up before public opinion really started to shift.

More than once I've heard folks bemoan QAnon for ruining "when conspiracy stuff was fun."

edit: whoa what a loving post to start a new page on, sorry

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

But God hasn't kidnapped men and did butt stuff on them (that I know of).

Enoch

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Most G1 Transformers fans don't actually remember G1 at all. Funny thing is the Michael Bay movies actually make a lot more sense if you figure he specifically used G1 for ideas, because that show is bizarre, ridiculous and sometimes downright batshit crazy. A lot more human antagonists than anything since, too. And not particularly watchable outside of novelty value, the animation and voice acting is VERY 80s and not in a good way.

I'm convinced the missing link for the Michael Bay movies is actual the G1 toy commercials.

https://twitter.com/PaperPlaneTF/status/1148651148582227974

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Black Lighter posted:

I swear, film critics these days are kinda pathetic in the way they prostrate themselves before any big blockbuster, past or present, that doesn't look like grey, processed slurry. Like, yeah, the clip there looks really generic, but that doesn't make Michael Bay's stuff any less awful or gross.

...which major blockbuster is he prostrating himself before..?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neo Rasa posted:

gently caress I ALWAYS mix them up sorry lol

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Hollywood actors are a population of dopes that collectively have a large audience. If you're selling BS, you want to aggressively target them because they're a powerful vector to getting at more people.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's not even 10 years...we're talking 3 years and a few months. The power of propaganda, baby.

That doesn't sound right. I remember Antivax spreading fairly widely by the mid '10.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

MonsieurChoc posted:

In a recent interview he said he'd love to do it but no one asked.

my lovely rpgmaker game is about to level the gently caress up

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The movie looks like it was done in the corporate art style (AKA Corporate Memphis).

The art looks like the Klasky Csupo house style with the edges filed down.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think its mainly because Black Lightning was one of the first black superheroes and DC likes expanding a heroes retinue and supporting cast with younger heroes with similar abilities.

Black Lightning was also creator owned, and why pay royalties?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

*Black* Thunder Cat, as we have now established that having electrical powers is what makes you black.

His name is Panthro.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
If being timely with memes was enough to turn a profit Morbius would have been a huge hit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Alan Smithee posted:

it really was proof that Zombies are too big to fail

i feel like there should be some apt metaphor available to represent something that won't die but it's just not coming to mind

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Grendels Dad posted:

Remind me what that means, please. Pretend that I have no idea what a blockchain is.

That's the beauty of it; it doesn't mean anything!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
there's no rule that says the pope's talking dog's purpose can't be to play basketball

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Gonna repeat what I said in the discord: Blue Beetle looks to be a stones throw from a kind of latin Kamen Rider, which would rule, but instead it looks to be yet another budget Ironman after a decade of every film superhero being budget Ironman.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Snowman_McK posted:

I recently got back into 40k (no i don't know why shut up) and had never quite put together just how much of it is lifted wholesale from Dune. The rest is lifted wholesale from the same company's fantasy universe, which is best understood as 'lord of the rings but a child is explaining it as he downs an entire crate of juice boxes'

There's also a lot of 2000 AD comics in 40k. Notably but not exclusively Nemesis the Warlock.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

muscles like this! posted:

It wasn't until the DVD era that everything for home release was priced for consumers. I worked at video rental store in 98-99 and even then there were a lot of movies that were in the $80 range.

Notably, this change did not happen everyone else at the same time it did in the US. There was a big thing for a few years where Japanese anime fans would reimport American DVDs because they'd be priced so much cheaper.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Cooked Auto posted:

Where is the Lego Space Cinematic Universe? :colbert:

I will never forgive Star Wars for eliminating Lego Space.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Zelazny would have cool wuxia sword fights but not at the expense of the psycho-sexual vision quests.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I'm pretty sure Taylor Swift was "seemingly popular" before covid.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The nic cage bit is strange but it's not as bad as them having the guy who was b&w TV superman on, who infamously committed suicide because being superman became a death knell to his career

My father maintains to this day that it was a mob hit.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Remulak posted:

Thr incredibly original and compelling Gears of War IP: “what if aliens came like from the ground man instead of the sky”?

Spielberg did it first.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ccs posted:

Anyway I don't really care about a Zelda movie. I'd have more interest if it was animated.

Ralph Bakshi presents,

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Basebf555 posted:

George Miller had a chance to do it but I guess the reason it never happens is because when you make something along the lines of a Fury Road then getting the next project greenlit is all the sudden so easy that it's hard to pass up. Like, I seriously doubt he's getting $60 mil to make Three Thousand Years of Longing if not for the success of Fury Road.

George Miller still has a chance to do it, Furiosa is currently in post production.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah Miyazaki is cheating because all of his films are his last films

Takahata didn't direct anything after Princess Kaguya, did he? Because that was a hell of a film to go out on.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

dr_rat posted:

Do we just need to assume they were going to start canceling anything that they thought wasn't going to be a massive hit?

Knowing the minds of executives is impossible, but that at least sounds like a probable reason.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
You want the hallway of blades in case the angel breaks out, clearly.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ccs posted:

What an incredible article. Its hard for me to pick my favorite quote but it might be this one:

I'm partial to "I want to be where the content is made."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Casimir Radon posted:

One of the most frustrating things about reality tv is how it took over what were supposed to be educational channels. We didn’t have cable when I was growing up. So I was extremely happy whenever PBS had a history of science show on. But I wanted cable channels that showed that kind of thing all the time. 2007 comes along and my parents finally decide to get cable. It wasn’t bad at that point but it was certainly headed there. Discovery still had good stuff but they were also showing way too much Deadliest Catch. Go forward about 5 years from that and Discovery and History is wall to wall garbage all day long. You’d be hard pressed to find something in any given week that was actually worth watching.

:lol: yet another thing we can blame on Zaslov

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

hallo spacedog posted:

I don't know what you guys are talking about, there's only one Hobbit film and was released in 1977

That movie isn't exactly good, but it was way more solid than I expected.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
<pointing at a mound of dirt> There worm.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Rochallor posted:

Ludacris went to space in Fast 9, but honestly they didn't really do much with it; they strapped a rocket to his space-sealed (?) car and he had to hack a satellite or something. If you're going to go to space you should at least have a scene where somebody drives a car on the moon or something.

Yeah, for as much "the only place left for the series to go is outer space" jokes there were, the actual execution wasn't anything big.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
It's kind of darkly funny how "rich people sharing class interests" also works in reverse, in that by maneuvering your interests to overlap that of a wealthy institution, you can make yourself rich almost by fiat.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Tars Tarkas posted:

Ain't no grift like stealing from QAnon grift

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/sound-of-freedom-angel-studios-audience-business-practices-1234928374/

Lots of highlights here but this part rules, the "Pay it forward" donations for tickets was really just them collection half a billion dollars in extra box office that they don't have to use for anything

Grift aside, there's something darkly humorous/sinister about the mindset where you help fund a movie not because you have any interest in it yourself, but because you want to expose other people to it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm just shocked that there was that much money available. I know religious groups and churches often buy blocks of tickets, but if those numbers are real then they really cleaned up.

A big part of televangelism (and radio evangelism before it) has been cultivating an audience where every family is willing and eager to tithe. A handful of extra movie tickets per person is nothing to this crowd.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It’s wild how much they give, I think the article says the average pay it forward donation was upwards of $600.

I don't know what the average is for the group at large, but the church my family attended when I was young (before they got out of it / the church imploded) it was a point of honor for families to be able to tithe a full 10% of their paycheck. I don't have any reason to believe this church was in anyway exceptional.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

It's a Netflix thing, no one's paying twice

I have no idea who this is for though, it looks like a fun movie but why would I watch a junked version now instead of just waiting?

It's honestly baffling. Even as someone who's mostly up on Snyder, I probably wouldn't bother with the shorter version if there weren't a simulwatch.

There's only a very limited theatrical release, right? Netflix could have just produced/released the full cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
There is some choreography in the John Wick sequels that are mind boggling to comprehend, but they really excel more as works of craft than as stories. When my friends talk about which fight scenes we like best, Keanu vs Casual from the second film usually tops the list. It's not the most technically proficient, but it's one of the last before everyone's motivations become convoluted.