Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/apr/24/heads-or-tails-smarter-than-an-mp-personality-quiz-ben-ambridge

quote:

Are you clever enough to be an MP? To find out, simply answer the following question: if you toss a coin twice, what is the probability of getting two heads? (I know we’re talking about MPs here, but you can assume that no skulduggery is afoot and both coin tosses are fair.) The answer, when you are ready, is below.

Get it right? Perhaps you’re too smart to be an MP. A 2012 study conducted by the Royal Statistical Society found that just 40% of MPs surveyed gave the correct answer. Worryingly, 45% of MPs thought that the correct answer was 0.5 (ie 50% or evens) – ie the same as the probability of getting heads on a single toss.

Even more worryingly, most MPs seemed completely unaware of their own ignorance, with around three-quarters of them saying that they “generally felt confident when dealing with numbers”.
:wow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

people getting free green beans from a food bank and then going out for prime rib - makes me SICK

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Microplastics posted:

Maybe the green beans have gone off then. You should stop
I will never do that.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnysDX6k8nY

How were they not aware that oil heating is expensive as gently caress?

cat botherer fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 5, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

No one ever told me animals have to eat!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

Reminded of that article by the person who moved to the country and then demanded the farmers stop muck spreading because it made everywhere smell.
You don't have a link to this do you?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

forkboy84 posted:

A good leader would be 20 points ahead
I can’t really think of another time an advanced country has gotten as avoidably hosed during peacetime as Britain has under the Tories post-May. It’s fascinating how the utter failure of the conservatives has only made Labour more obsequious. A moist, bloated, and frightened-looking leader is really their perfect avatar.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I'm so afraid of SMALL BOATS

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/gary-glitter-jail-dark-web-b2299550.html

Gary Glitter is back in jail for very boomerishly attempting to access CSAM.

quote:

Gary Glitter has been filmed using a smartphone and appearing to enquire about the dark web.

A video filmed by another prisoner at his bail hostel and obtained by The Sun on Sunday shows Glitter - real name Paul Gadd - appearing to reference search engines that protect user’s privacy.

He says: “Shall I get rid of this duck duck?”

An unknown person replies: “Yeah, I wouldn’t bother using that if I were you.”

Glitter then says: “So what do I do next, then? Let’s try and find this onion. One step at a time.”

It is thought that Glitter, 78, was referring to DuckDuckGo, a search engine that claims to protect users’ privacy.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Guavanaut posted:

^^ :lol:

Now claiming "we are just poor wee women who can't be expected to keep big nazi men away when hateful antifa refuse to help us. also the nazis were good."
Women are weak, and totally defenseless against people who were born with penises. I am a feminist.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Guavanaut posted:

Megafauna would be the best outcome for post climate change brexit britain. Get rid of all those tiny encephalactic dogs and replace them with 40 foot millipedes.

Jesus Christ that millipede was real

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthropleura

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Gonzo McFee posted:

You should read up on UK undercover police. If you want to meet your local undercover police officers, basically just start a left wing book club and at least one of the people who turn up will be an undercover cop trying to get people to do something illegal. There are kids fathered by undercover cops who basically got fathered by rape by deception. The UK government's response when it all came out was to retroactively make it legal.

There's probably a few cops posting in this thread. The only one I hold above suspicion is Comrade Fakename.
I don't think this thread has quite reached the effective threat level of a Trot book club, unfortunately.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Rivers of blood, filled with small boats.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

big scary monsters posted:

They always want people to love the country but they never seem interested in making the country more lovable.
They are trying to make it more lovable. It's just that there is a group of people in our midst that hate Britain and everything it stands for.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Jeremy Crumblins is at it again!

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The Question IRL posted:

The main character in "The Butterfly Effect" is called Evan Treborn.
He was originally going to be named Chris Treborn. Because his name would be a play on Christ Reborn and how he sacrifices his life to save others.

There are a while lot of Gareths out there.
And thus ended Ashton Kutcher's abortive attempt at being a respected actor. Well that and the Jobs biopic.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Andy Pandy posted:

I've been following this topic for a few years. If anyone isn't aware of what's currently going on in the US regarding UFO/UAP stuff, it's deeply fascinating regardless of what conclusions you might draw from it.
There's many incidents involving objects doing impossible maneuvers or even splashing into the ocean, that have been verified by multiple people and instruments independently, that have no reasonable explanation as birds or lens flares of whatever. Nobody knows what they are, but standard explanations have been ruled out on many of them.

The disclosure going frustratingly slowly, but suffice to say that UAPs are something that are now taken seriously by serious people in the military. There's even a new program now called ARRO building off some previous efforts by the military and intelligence.

https://www.defense.gov/News/Releas...tion-and-manag/

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Dabir posted:

Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from loving aliens apparently
It's no technology anybody on the Earth has, unless China is secretly like 500 years ahead of us.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

OwlFancier posted:

Highly improbable explanations can still be vastly more probable than aliens is the thing.
It's not necessarily even aliens as we'd think. The only scenario that could really explain of the observations now known is some vast conspiracy to fake this stuff. The best thing, IMO, is to just keep studying and observing the phenomena, without necessarily trying to come up with specific interpretations like "aliens."

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Dabir posted:

So you've travelled back from 500 years into the future to confirm that then?
Yeah. A few of the UAP sightings were me going back and forth to the future, but what about the other ones?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How much does all this cost compared with just giving a decent payrise?
That's not what it's really about.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Dabir posted:

wait so landlords can effectively just end a ton of politicians' careers at-will?
That’s why it’s important to elect more landlords if you want to protect tenant’s rights.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Just Another Lurker posted:

Actor Ray Stevenson (Titus Pullo from HBO Rome) dead at 58.

13th!!! :hist101:
That sucks. I’m still mad that show got cancelled when it did.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

sebzilla posted:

Absolutely. The massively condensed second season was still good but it deserved to be given the space it needed.

Time to treat myself to a rewatch and become absolutely obsessed by both Polly Walker and James Purefoy again.
Yeah, it was amazing how good the second season was despite the constraints they were under. I hope another ancient history show like that will come out some time. I just loved how realistic and dirty things were portrayed compared to 99% of stuff where it’s all gleaming marble columns.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I have to admit, he's doing a great job of seeming more racist than the Tories.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

That diver's an absolute dick to that fish. No one is ever that interested in the boring poo poo I do.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

Failed Imagineer posted:

Teddy's is GOAT, if you're going to Dun Laoghaire and not getting one of those what are you even doing. Also, Dun Laoghaire is a bit of a kip.

Separately, I laughed at least 4 different elements of this map

https://twitter.com/NoContextBrits/status/1662753610898317312?t=ZOIcTMdfzirdryB-cLbrbg&s=19
Tensions in the Balkans are still running high I see.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

smellmycheese posted:

Meanwhile in Corbyns Britain …

This is a CoOp in London apparently
9.35 GBP for 200g of Nescafe? :wow:

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

The key to making roux is to do a fuckload at once in a pot. Like 1-3 cm deep. It doesn’t burn nearly as easily with a bigger volume. That also means you can do more heat and get it done faster. It also means you can just keep the rest in a jar or freezer and decant as needed. Also, use a high smoke temp oil like peanut or avocado, and a thermometer to make sure it doesn’t exceed 235 or thereabouts

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

It's very important for political parties to have a leadership representative of their leadership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

How do they stay on? Is he supergluing the ends to his hair or something?