Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Now he's bragging about the shits he takes. I hope he retires and gets a job at Twitter.

Hey, he's matured to the level of a 2 year old getting potty trained.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Lions have to at least make an offer to Jackson. They'd be insane not to.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Timby posted:

Next year's free agent market looks a lot better than this one's.

The good thing is that this doesn't matter if the Bears are smart. They just need to front load the contracts they make this year with signing bonuses. If they do this they can actually make their hires this year have very little impact on the cap in the short and medium term.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

At the very least you gotta put together an offer and see if he's interested. Maybe he's not the guy, but that's true of any potential pick.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

HootTheOwl posted:

Vallus Jones sucks poo poo I am sorry

If he could figure out how to catch a football he might be in a good place. Alas, he has not shown any indication that this is possible, and that is a talent that you should probably develop before you hit the pros if you want to be successful.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, and it's been barely 2 months since he played potentially his last football game for the Packers. There's 5 months until summer camp starts. I don't understand the people who say he's dragging it out.

They're just tired of him and want to stop hearing from him. Can't blame 'em, but Aaron was always gonna be Aaron and make at least a little production of this.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

MJeff posted:

Wonder if there's any other circumstances in the world where gaining weight and missing work after the death of some friends and colleagues in a car accident would be attributed to attitude and maturity issues.

Your point is well taken, but you just know some of these teams are definitely gonna judge it that way.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sataere posted:

We know that Rodgers doesn't talk to the media, so that means all the passive aggressive media poo poo about him is coming from the front office. I can't stand Rodgers, but if I had a HoF quarterback, I wouldn't be making GBS threads on him publicly and then blaming him for nothing getting done. Especially when they admitted today they are just waiting on compensation. They are trying to strong arm one of the best players they've ever had and pin it all on him.

I agree to an extent, but Aaron has been extremely passive-aggressive about all this. In the end, I think we can all agree that both the Packers front office and Rodgers are being stupid here.

In other words, gently caress the Packers.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yea, and if I recall, glennon wasn’t happy about it. Although I don’t know how that guy didn’t realize he was a transition QB.

Well to be fair, the Bears did pay Glennon a stupid amount of money for a transition guy.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ZombieCrew posted:

I understand people sayin that the lions reached, but they were able to trade back, get more capital, and get their guy. Seems drat good to me.

I also understand why people get upset on draft day. Its not about the players. Its about how badly your gm might get fleeced in a trade. Pace trading up one spot for Trubs was fuckin embarrassing.

Yeah, but that was an obviously risky move. Getting upset because you may have picked the wrong RB or WR or LT is a little pointless (unless there is something obviously wrong with the pick, like injuries, crimes or things like that) because all these picks are crapshoots.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Metapod posted:

Chicago's Big10 team Ohio State has won many championships

You've gone too far, apologize.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dexo posted:

My house assesses tax wise for a decent chunk less than I paid for it.

The city is dicking them decently hard. In a way most people wouldn't get.

Now it's still gently caress them they are billionaires, pay up. They can afford it.

That's the thing though, they can't afford it. They can't afford to build a stadium. The McCaskeys don't have nearly enough money to get their stadium built, so every extra penny they spend means it is even more difficult for them to get to their goals. It's honestly hilarious how badly the Bears have bungled this.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dexo posted:

Yes they can. They can in the same way all billionaires operate, by taking out loans against their absurdly valuable assets. the McCaskey's can extremely afford to pay the loving taxes on that land even if it is high.

They aren't like loving Jerry Jones or other comically rich person rich, but they are still very very wealthy.

They could do that, but they won't, because they're far too entitled to put any of their own assets at risk over the stadium deal. They want a taxpayer bailout. I seriously doubt that we will see any movement on a stadium anywhere from the Bears until they convince the taxpayers of some poor town to pony up some dough. The McCaskeys are trapped in a hell of their own making and it is hilarious.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

If the bears had taken Shea McClellin at any place but in the first round, his career would make a hell of a lot more sense.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SKULL.GIF posted:

I thought the whole reason Rodgers went to the Jets is because he wanted to have a better roster around him.

If the last couple years have proved anything, it is that Aaron Rodgers is a very stupid man.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I'm starting to think there is a problem at Northwestern.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

No one's defending Velus Jones or even saying he should get the traditional 3 years to develop. I think he should be cut, because he cannot field a punt, which is his only job.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Blowjob Overtime posted:

The air yards vs YAC stuff makes me wonder if there's a point where YAC being below a certain threshold correlates to increased games missed by receivers. Like if a QB is regularly making throws that get the needed yardage in the air, but put the receiver in danger (insert Febreeze's Austin Collie comic here) versus throwing it short to a receiver with room to run and actually defend themselves.

There is so much that goes into this though. For example, if the defense blitzes a lot, a good offensive line will probably lead to receivers having a better YAC than those with a bad offensive line. How do you quantify that? There is so much that can potentially affect these stats, trying to tease out what affects what can be very tricky. I think the best way to put it is that stats can be indicative of certain trends, but are rarely prescriptive of them.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dexo posted:

Isn't Arlington Heights still Cook?

Yes.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

HootTheOwl posted:

The Bears offense is going to be one of the best if Fields is healthy and bad if he isn't. Simple as.

The defense I do not care. They spent money so probably middle of the pack.

So, 5 win team when Fields tweaks something week 4 and being a step too slow gets him hurt irrevocably week 10.

I do not believe that the Bears offense will be among the best under any circumstance this season.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dexo posted:

It did not. It's a fun narrative off a silly situation, but like yeah he had a completely deranged kicking competition after it, but that competition ended up actually working to find a kicker.

The thing that broke Nagy was realizing that Mitch would never ever be able to run his "beautiful" Offense, so he constantly had to dial it back, and was just constantly mad, that his offensive coordinators were able to call a better gameplay to play around Mitch's limitations than he was.

Just Nagy seething in Meetings as Mitch aw shucks his way through missing passes and reads in meetings week after week after week, but being unable to actually bench him, because despite this he still does give you the best chance to win of the QB's on the roster at the time. Just completely sapped his will to be an offensive coach.

It reminds me of an Onion article that was basically "Young QB who is going to get everyone fired says he just wants to win football games." I felt bad for Trubs, he was a nice enough guy, he just sucked at being an NFL quarterback. Unlike Cade McKnown, who was so unlikable that him turning out to be terrible was actually hilarious.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I just wish the Bears could call a game that is geared towards their strengths, as opposed to calling a game that ensures they never generate any opportunities because they don't even try to mix things up.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Niwrad posted:

They always hire these dumbshit coaches and GMs who have a specific system and style that they can't deviate from. It was the excuse they made the past 2 offseasons as to why they couldn't sign competent offensive linemen.

You can’t run any system if your oline leaks like a sieve, you fuckwits!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I for one am shocked that the literal worst team in the NFL did not solve all of its problems in one offseason.

It would have been nice if they had solved even one of their problems.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

fishing with the fam posted:

I would prefer the new president have an edict that requires he keep Poles around for at least one more coaching hire, and the new coach should be required to hang onto Fields for at least one year.

The Chicago Bears Special.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I am confused that the worst team in the league that got rid of all of their good players and deliberately tanked is bad.

Well, we were hoping they would get new good players, but maybe the Claypool trade should have been a sign.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dexo posted:

please at least wait until the Bears inevitably suck poo poo against the Bucs before cliff jumping lol.

I mean I'm just checked out until the bears prove they aren't just repeating the same cycle again. Until then it's just lol bears again.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Having a Robocop statue might seem like a cool and kitschy idea in theory, but once it’s really there, it’s just going to be embarrassing.

*stares off in the direction of Milwaukee’s “The Fonz” statue*

The only movie statue that really works is the Rocky one in Philly, but that's actually tied to that specific location and there's actually meaning to a Rocky statue beyond a stupid movie reference.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

A lot of posts in this thread that could apply to any of the four teams in this division if you removed the names this week.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ummagumma posted:

I think they want to see if Fields can handle full pro QB responsibilities since they have to make a call on his player option/starting with a new QB with their picks next year.

But yeah I think it would be good to incorporate some of what worked in their scoring streak last year to at least get him going or give the defense more to think about.

This is dumb, because the best chance to show off what Fields can or can't do is definitely not when the opposing defense knows for certain what play you are going to run because all you are calling is lovely screens.

Fields is probably a wash at this point, but goddamn the play calling isn't helping.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

GenericMartini posted:

The Minnesota Football Vikings will be picking number 1 in this year's NFL Draft

The Bears are gonna trade them their pick?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

This is confusing me, and that makes me angry.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

If this is all a big nothing the new Trestman era has definitely begun.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Pretty much, yeah.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I'm assuming that it is murder, treason and jaywalking all at once until we get more information.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Not watching the game, but the Bears are meeting every expectation I could have of them.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

The Bears will have a chance to prove what they are made of against the Broncos! What do we think, wet toilet paper, or damp breeze?

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Niwrad posted:

Seiya was having a bad season and the Cubs sort of benched him for 2-3 weeks and he has been one of the best hitters in baseball since. He made a terrible error yesterday which is where the headlines are from, but I think Hub is arguing that benching Fields will magically make him good because Hub is dumb.

I think he's hoping that, with no real reason to think it's true.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I did not watch football today. As a Bears fan, it was definitely the correct choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Dexo posted:

Like Justin obviously should hold on to the ball, but dear god loving stop calling that loving play

But it might work next time! You gotta give it a chance!

Why yes, Justin Fields did run over my dog.