Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Sashimi posted:

lmao are the GOP going to make this moron and his subsequent trial into another stupid hill to die on?

Yup. Fox news is working that point. I walked into the living room this morning and mom, who as she ages is turning more and more into a fox news controlled p-zombie, was there defending the honor of this guy, how it was youthful indiscretion. Then she goes back to getting angry about the continued existence of transwomen after tucker tells her they need to be disposed of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

"Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed" is a horrific mindset to have on an individual but especially on a societal wide basis. That's how you get poo poo like "cocks" and whatnot.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

For comparison, I think the U.S. military logistics system was able to get wounded out of Iraq to Germany for emergency surgery in a matter of hours after stabilizing them locally.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

mllaneza posted:

What we've heard is that Ukraine has 9 brigades organized along NATO lines. Some of them have NATO AFVs. Those are the core of the UAF's mobile reserve and are going to suffer terrible losses in an offensive, especially if they advance beyond the GBAD umbrella. Ukraine has a lot of Western equipment in the replenishment pipeline, so they can afford to take losses in an offensive.

Nine brigades. That's basically two corps or one army. In WW2 the same ground was fought over by army groups. Ukraine can smash the gently caress out of front-line positions with a maximal effort by PGMs and drone operators, but exploitation behind the lines is going to be costly even in the good scenarios. I think they can reach the Black Sea with an offensive in Zaporizhya, but it'll be costly and extend the lines they have to defend when it comes time to hold their gains.

They do have to do something to ensure support for a long war. Perun says it best, so ignore me and go watch his video from today.

Ukraine is also on a deadline until when and if two-pump Trump gets reelected, or some other GOP ghoul, not only cuts off supplies but also actively starts aiding russia to own the libs.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

I am actually slightly more optimistic about whatever Republican is elected next in terms of Ukraine. Not about literally any other subject mind

Also the thing I keep thinking about in terms of whether Ukraine's counteroffensive will be good is that signs point to Russia, like, retreating in half the places they are currently holding. Surely this is not indicative of the most intense possible resistance to any counteroffensive

The american right is incredibly schizophrenic w/r/t this war and fox news (I'm living with old going-deaf people who raise the volume to compensate, making it inescapable), seems to be moving towards "Whatever happens in the war, *Biden BAD!* also Hunter laptop", which I suppose, is at least not full russian support out of spite.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

It really is amazing how much Russian chuds are like 1/1 with American chuds in just like, completely batshit beliefs about christianity/ LGBTQ.

Is there a historical/ cultural event that happened that made the two so similar? I can't imagine just the Cold War did this to both nations' chud brains.

Dugin, right wing media in general, and the 8-chan pedo creating Q and basically doing everything possible to weld the far right and far left together and make horseshoe theory real. We're seeing the fallout of two decades of engineered brain rot. There were always plenty of crochety reactionaries since the dawn of time, but what's new is they're all marching (or shambling/driving mobility scooters) in the same direction while screaming about Soros.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Telsa Cola posted:

Rome was pretty not okay with the whole Christianity thing at first so the whole it was a roman goverment conspiracy is pretty insane.

Also it's 2023, while super religious crazy people are cringe in close second is internet atheists.

Thanks for listening to my Tedx talk

I will see you and raise you internet atheists that become internet super religious crazy people. Many such cases!

Imagine the sort of person who has a late life awakening and conversion due to Paradox map making games and wishes they could inflict a "Expel the Jews" decision on people in real life. This is the sort of person that turns into an online supporter of the russian government in its struggle against 'modernity'.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Wasn't it a Minnasotan unit they dropped into Siberia or something?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

to be fair i would expect minnesotans to deal well with siberian climates

You'd think so but Russian winter wrecked even the Swedes when they tried it under Charles XII. Climate change turning general winter into private mud is going to have some interesting repercussions in the future.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Yeah, at the time any talk of russia or syria could be lumped into "we're looking for a new war, to rekindle the magic just after 9/11." If putin kept doing what he was doing pre-invasion the west would've just kept rotting away and collapsing into trumpian fiefdoms.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Storkrasch posted:

Ukraine managed to rebuild its military completely in 8 years. Imagine what they could have done in 18 years. Russia meanwhile would probably look pretty much the same, militarily, minus 10 more years of graft.

Also Putin would probably be dead, so there's that.

I think we need to start mentally preparing ourselves for more 80, 90, and eventually more than zero 100+ year old rulers and politicians in the near future, unfortunately.

Ramses II allegedly made it to 92, imagine that becoming the norm for modern wannabe pharaohs.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Another year, especially for america, is time for another wave of chuds to be elected in the U.S. though, and while we think there's no way to reverse the pro-UKR stances of the u.s. government, I'm pretty sure the people who get angry enough to do stochastic terror over complete nonsense could/would do exactly that. I know a lot of the russian troll farmers are either fertilizing some field in ukraine or otherwise occupied, but not all of them.

(I think k-hive is gone for the most part, at least)

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 27, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Deki posted:

Man, how hard would it be to create a pure pro-labor org that made a point to not be assholes about race/gender/etc but doesn't get involved with the more-leftist-than-thou horseshit?

If you manage to create a successful labor movement, capital tends to make a point to either co-opt you (Black Lives Matter Inc), and if that fails just have you killed. Unfortunately in the U.S., the continued existence of many leftists groups is proof they're no threat to those they oppose or they'd be violently dispersed already. This is if you somehow manage to get passed all the grifters, purity testers, and both unaware and completely self-aware wreckers out to gently caress you. Successful organizing depends on communal trust, and capital and power in the u.s. successfully destroyed that this past century. While the new wave of unionization gives me hope, I'm wondering if it'll all be pushed back with a tidal wave of bullshit and blood.

The fact that one of the most successful modern resistances against a genocidal imperial state is somehow being provided with NATO weapons is not lost on me. Zizek's response to the hardline Anti-Nato-under-all-circumstances-crowd being "So called leftists, I wouldn't call them that" or words to that effect, stuck with me.

CommieGIR posted:

Little by little? Project Pluto was at the Beginning of the cold war. The insanity was out of the gate.

The air-to-air nuclear rockets to take out bomber swarms stuck with me.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 4, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

See, I think that while all right wing military dictatorships are at least allied with fascism, not all of them are technically fash themselves. (I'll make the joke about "its only fascism from the fasces part of Italy, otherwise its just sparkling authoritarianism" so no one else has to) See, especially, Franco, who did not burn out in an ever expanding militarist insanity and just sat there and squatted on his feudal demesne.

I really think fascism is defined by its cult of speed. the need to be faster, flashier, and more catastrophic. If a right wing movement doesn't have that urge to burn itself and everything around it, its probably just defacto conservatism ala the catholic church.

The weird part is when you have a conservative element that makes use of the fascists but doesn't want the fash anywhere near the top rungs of power, which is when you get this incredible schizophrenic dance as people who want to maintain a gangster-grifter status quo are inherently endangered by militarist psychos but need those psychos to keep the entire house of cards from collapsing.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 21, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

mcvey posted:

Lol

L m a o

Started by laughing at one hotdog man on SA, now laughing at another.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I saw that painting of Hegel and it gave me hope. "Goddamn, dude looked that hosed up and is remembered for only a literary atrocity, not a literal one". Like, if I get going now, 200 years from now I can be giving sapient cockroach philosophy students a vauge sense of unease and malaise.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

whiskas posted:

I feel like he's destined to be thrown out of a window at some point in the future. If only to be made of as an example. He's no longer useful to Putin, and assasinating him would strengthen Putins position as someone not to be crossed.

This is Hellworld, so the stupidest possible option was in a winner takes all zero sum game for both participants to be left standing. Possibly even long term, somehow

Comedy-horror option, Prig defects to the west, they get all the info they can out of him, and then the U.S. exchanges him for Snowden and then both russia and the u.s. govts make extremely public examples, in their own respective ways.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Time is a polonium circle.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Honestly I think the same thing, I think he realized and was probably told by lucaschenko like hey the entire Russian world's about to loving collapse if you do this.

And did this like hero of the fascist state self he is

So an even more stupid version of Mishima

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

you know what this means? It means Sonic is real!

"As the Sonic series is a garish work of propaganda supporting a hybrid of Futurism and Nazi Romantic Pastoralism, Eggman is a fascist caricature of the Judeo-Bolshevik menance and its materialist conception of reality
Sonic craves speed and death, the Sonderweg of Sega opposing Mario and Nintendo"

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jul 3, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Except instead of one lone psycho there's an entire army of them.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

This implies she'll be busted after the fact that she's done so comes out. Out of all the 2016 era troglodytes still standing, MTG has the strongest :matters: field and the highest chaos energy next to trump. (I'd be very happy to be proven wrong)

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That's top tier, right up with the guy in a respirator mask during peak covid wearing a bigfoot t-shirt with "social distancing champion"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

capitalcomma posted:

Not just painting, art in general. The link between failed artist careers and bitter hard-right politics is well-established. Shapiro couldn't make it in hollywood, several failed painters...and god look up the failed stand-up comedians sometime.

I contend the rise and reign and end of Benito Mussolini was one of history's most elaborate performance art projects.

"LOL, U MAD?!"
"Yeah, we're pretty pissed" BAM
*looney toons extro-theme, Porky Pig*: "th-th-t-ththat's all folks!"

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

fizzy posted:

Bad news for Russia's propagandist attempts to demonize Ukrainian nationalism - People who call themselves Banderites do not share his ideologies and probably have never read any of his writings, and the nationalists who pogromed the Jews of Lviv weren't out to exterminate, they were out to combat their political enemies

...no. good lord. if we don't give stalinists the time of day when they try to disown atrocity, we don't give it to loving banderites either. This is fash apologia.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Several metaphorical and fictional things have become real due to the russian government's bullshit these past 20 years+this war, but i was not expecting literal one legged men in rear end kicking contests.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Toxic Mental posted:

I love it every time I see on twitter or discord that Bernie is a neocon because he supports Ukraine and NATO supporting them. Awesome.

Zizek and Bernie have been wrong on several things, but I feel comfortable having the same opinion as them here. It sure beats sharing the opinion of Kissinger and Chomsky.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

redshirt posted:

Imagine not that long ago being the richest, most important person in the world. You could go anywhere, do anything.

Now, however.....

musk's self immolation is slower but with a lower bodycount thankfully.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Lammasu posted:

Today I said he was the human incarnation of Master Shake and my friend thought that was an insult to Master Shake.

Yeah. The Master Shake presidency is only recently behind us, after all.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

We have been, its hard when they're a deathcult religion fueled by contrarian spite that would have another go at couping the government if they got the chance again. Instead of basement tankies its their parents who actually do have money and actually both vote and wave guns around in public at people and are not arrested for it.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 16, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Xenocides posted:

Then we just mass ban all the people doing that and they will crawl off and build some degenerate offshoot that won’t bother us ever again. 4chan 2.0: Deader and Gayer

I think when they ended up creating Q-anon* and attempted to coup the u.s. government they were bothering us all. He was long gone by the time that happened but 1/6 is obviously moot's revenge.

*Technically I believe that was created by the 8chan/wizard-chan folks, who are the degenerate offshoots of 4chan, if one is willing to contemplate that.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Honestly expecting them to bait people into vacationing and then draft the men when they try to leave.

"Hope you enjoyed the vacation, off to the front lines comrade!"

Its a holiday in the crimea
in my lada dodging flak

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Lammasu posted:

So, was Putin's plan to stay in the grain deal till they did something to piss him off? Does he actually expect to win this war? He's out gunned and more importantly out moneyed. He has no hope in hell.

The purpose of blowing up the grain is to cause a famine in Africa to drive refugees to Europe so right wing governments will get elected, who will kill aid for ukraine and generally make the continent far more hospitable for russian corruption.

Re:shirts, as a man entering his hawaiian shirt era of life, if I had the money I'd be tempted.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 20, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

To be fair, I feel the existence of Hillary Clinton's political career was a significant contribution to that, and now that Trumpian chaos energy banished her to the shadow zone and probably strangled Chelsea and Meghan McCain's political aspirations in the cradle, there's less of that accelerant. I mean yes, there's Joe and Kamela but chuds have to go the extra mile until its work to actually care about either of them. See also fox news trying to scream "HUNTER'S LAPTOP!" into a meme.

tl;dr, I feel the chud's won't win the presidential election*, but are absolutely going to try to use escalating violence and political control of the political powerhouses they do have (Texas, arguably Florida), to destabilize as much as they can.

*although, as you point out, I felt that way in November of 2015, lol.

To bring it back on topic, Putin probably understands if he plays the very long game (as in, past 2024 and into 2028**), enough european and american governments will flip and enough chuds will be back in office that they will pull aid and Putin will win the forever war.

And I guess its a testament to both the state of medical technology available to the elite, and our calcified political classes that 70 and even 80 year old rulers can reasonably plan to be alive and in power in another 5+ years.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jul 20, 2023

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Moktaro posted:

Personally I refuse to accept that a Republican president will spit in the face of the US MIC when the rubber meets the road. Even Trump would just talk tough until he gets paid off.

Remember this is hellworld. The worst thing doesn't always have to happen, but the most absurd thing is highly likely.

Somehow those pics of hunter biden's areas will be involved.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Article 5'ing over some dead chickens is definitely stupid enough to be plausible in this timeline

66 million years ago: end of the world when a bunch of dinosaurs got wiped in an explosion

2023 AD: end of the world when a bunch of dinosaurs get wiped in an explosion.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I hope I'm not in a timeline so stupid we start a nuclear war at the hen house.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Trump and Biden are close to or north of 80 now. While I hope it doesn't happen, putin may see at least two u.s. presidential cycles come and go. Unless the reaper deploys tactical assault windows, the elite/super rich can regularly expect to make it to 80+ due to cutting edge modern medical tech.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

When your enlarged heart counts as a red state all by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

"Would you like one or two shots with that?"