Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Are we allowed to dehumanize Russian soldiers and joke about them dying if we do it individually instead of en masse?

For example, remember the pictures of that one General or whatever who's so fat he's practically spherical? Can we, say, debate the odds that he'll die of a heart attack on a toilet vs. the odds of dying of a heart attack while attempting to loot a toilet?

Or can we perhaps come up with comical scenarios about how he'd have so much rear end hanging off either side of the toilet when he sits down that it's arguably inside him, and then he can't get it out and the poor mobiks have to come in and unbolt it from the floor and rush the General, toilet and all, to the nearest infirmary camp, where the doctors give him a bunch of Taco Bell and then point his butt toward Bakhmut and sure enough, soon the intestinal pressure shoots the toilet out like an artillery shell, but they forgot to account for the weight of the poop that was already in the toilet so the trajectory fell a little short and anyway that's how another A-50 got its radome crunched by a toilet falling from the sky?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Lammasu posted:

Do you think Biden is going to get a statue out of this like Clinton did for Bosnia?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Poster: Makes a very simple joke comparing a current event to another country's war crime habits.
Other posters: HOW DARE YOU APPROVE OF WAR CRIMES SIR, YOU ARE A FOOL

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Play posted:

Is that really what happened though? Extremely lovely joke if so, since it echoes the endless both sides poo poo from the tankies. When you do what clearly seems to be a whataboutism, don't be surprised when people object even if it was only meant as a dumb throwaway joke.

Not everything that mentions a thing in the context of another thing is "whataboutism".

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The bridge is fine, they got a thumbs-up from that Davenport building inspector and everything.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Issuing correction Ukraine is not using Western kids to blow up Russia.

It was meant to be kit.

I mean I'm sure there are some kids from Lviv involved.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

(sings Waltzing Matilda for the 38th time in the movie)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Putin could always borrow Snowden's ipad-on-a-stick telepresence rig and attend the summit that way.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Edward Snowden was a goon hero back in like 2013 after Ron Paul's idiotic rear end flamed out for the second time

bob dobbs is dead posted:

men change after a decade. especially a decade of exile

He still has significant nerd cred -- I'd listen to him on infosec topics -- but yeah, it seems ten years under Putin's thumb has warped his perspective just a tad.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Deformed Church posted:

surely they can just go lift that bit up and bolt it back to the next span?

Dump a bunch of dirt on the hangy-down part to make a new surface that's level with the rest of the road, then drive over that.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

cr0y posted:

I had a thought, has anything like this ever been attempted to coerce surrender of troops?

Just giant tents advertising hookers, cocaine, water, medicine, warm beds and pizza.

In my head it would be immensely effective.

Air-dropped leaflets are the usual method. Often they explain exactly how to surrender safely and make various promises of safety and comfort.

Sometimes they get more specifically targeted, like this one from the Korean War offering a US$100,000 reward (a little over $1M in today's money) to the first North Korean pilot to defect and bring along their MiG-15.

The prize was claimed a few months later, although it was a total coincidence -- he'd never heard of the reward before he defected, so it was a happy surprise.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

BRICrolled! :v:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

the popes toes posted:

If Hillary was in charge of Space Command out there on her space base, and had a bunch of space rocks to drop on the heads of these recalcitrant dictators, by god we'd get some cooperation for a change.

We cannot allow a space rock gap!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Coming in hot from the memes thread:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Toxic Mental posted:

Can we get a real quick "RIP" to Vladimir Bobrov, who also died in the crash

*Takes a quick rip* :350:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Abe Fromanov? The sausage czar of St. Petersbu--

shadow puppet of a posted:

Abe Frohminski? NooooOOOOoOoO!

drat it! :argh:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

E. Revenant posted:

Russia is doing it all wrong putting tires on the entire surface of the bomber to protect them from drones. They need to put their scarce resources to only the parts of the aircraft that receive damage. Here is how they should be placed based on the reports from surviving bombers.

:golfclap: Very nice.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Lammasu posted:

Now that I think about it, the average state faire would kill a non-American.

"Faire"? Trap sprung.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Why is he using enough significant digits to point to an individual atom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Reporting From Ukraine has a lot of imagery on this assault. My summary? WHAT THE gently caress RUSSIA? WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress ARE YOU DOING? General Haig is looking up from Hell shaking his head. GO THE gently caress AROUND. DO NOT ASSAULT THAT.

its-over-anakin-i-have-the-high-ground.gif

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

* Puts flour on mobik's grave

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

kuarduck posted:

Excuse me, the documentary on the EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle is called "Stripes"

I'll take a Herkimer Battle Jitney any day.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Spazzle posted:

A gun club?

No no, the Gun Club are the folks who'd build a giant cannon to shoot three people at the Moon.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

"How can we end this war?" says the one man on Earth who can end the war at a moment's notice.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Cannibals who kill, or killers who target cannibals?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The fact that this was necessary is both hilarious and terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

I kind of want to go back in time and tell 1994 me that in 30 years he's going to be in MUCH better shape than Steven Seagal.