Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Thank you for bringing this back it's like 90% of my use of SA right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

NAFO is exactly what it needs to be. The annoyance is the point.

Mocking an actual war criminal with cartoon dogs until he gets mad enough at them to actually call them out is perfect.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Athanatos posted:

Also if you want discussion about how admins hosed it up forever or how things should be different, please come to the feedback forum here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=686 You can make a new thread in there for issues. Use that space so we can fix things and hear you out and this thread can stay on topic.

You have not done enough to make that space at all comfortable for bringing up problems.
Now I'm not going to make a super big deal out of this because I just want to chill and enjoy reading this thread, but there's a reason people don't make use of that resource. The leadership of this site has not done enough to ensure that people feel comfortable bringing issues up in such a public space.

On topic: lmfao kadyrov is gonna kick it and Chechnya is gonna fall apart again.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/15490?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

you say red line, I say front line

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Are you an actual Russian citizen or are they just sending mobilization orders to anyone with accounts on Russian email services now?

you know in your heart which is true

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

lol @ assuming correctly that wagner would be dumb enough to rush forward to take the city only to fall to an obvious encirclement

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

so not only is he dead, he was sent to putin personally ina soup can.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Hughmoris posted:

The survival instinct of some people amazes me. What the hell do you think is going to happen in that immediate area if poo poo kicks off? The machine gunner 10ft from you might draw fire?

This is a country where relatively bloodless palace coups are in living memory, and there's always the knowledge that you get some warning before it kicks off _that_ way.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

To their credit Wagner did denazify Ukraine.
by leaving.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Intervention in Libya was probably good.
Kinda-sorta pulling one over on the UNSC to do so was probably not great.
The followup was most assuredly awful.

These have been deep thoughts from SRQ.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

like it's legitimately possible some of these wagnerites are so unknown to the modern world and the west given growing up in basically 17th century backwaters they might think the idea of "raid polish supply lines" has a chance
just get in and get out it'll be easy
i'm becoming more convinced by the day that the war was a conspiracy to liquidate the military aged males to ensure a revolt is impossible tbh

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

shadow puppet of a posted:

Gbs should be for wild speculation and theory crafting of headcanon-grade ideas. Not this “source” bullshit.

Putin is a half-formed Reagan clone.
The timeline lines up.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

if a man breaks into your house, shoots one of your children, and says you either leave or they shoot the rest

well you leave and then come back to protest from your front lawn about the unfair treatment, of course.

(note: they did not let you leave with the children.)

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

NoiseAnnoys posted:

i ain’t no solider but isn’t not having your entire leadership together on an airplane like basic organizational security 101?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1981_Pushkin_Tu-104_crash you say that but

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Bondematt posted:

Prig getting cold feet while barreling down on Moscow is still the most unrealistic part of this novel.

It just makes no sense, who would do that? When success is almost in your hands you make a deal and just trust them?

It gets even worse as they just kill him at the end of the next chapter, like wouldn't he at least be afraid for his life traveling in Russia? I know they haven't actually said it was Putin who ordered it, but come on, who else would it be.

2/5 plot and whoever is ghostwriting this for Clancy should move on.

two cowards playing chicken and they both swerved

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I'm curious here, now. Do we have good stats for:
Russian military strength pre-war/now in relative vehicles/persons available. Ukrainian for the same.
Are both countries worse off, and by what margins?

This is a pretty heavy question that no doubt requires a lot of research, but I figure these numbers might have been tossed around in the thread.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

zone posted:

We don't really know. According to the Oryx group their total of visually confirmed losses is, +/- 20-30% for Puccia and 15-20% for Ukraine, the absolute floor of the recorded losses. Even now old losses from previous battles are still being occasionally posted after geolocation gets confirmed. More than that, we have no idea.

That about tracks to where I thought, and it's loving mind-blowing.
It's really hard for me to wrap my head around a peer conflict in 2023 that's destroyed 30 odd percent of its participants military strength.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

zone posted:

I wasn't referring to 30% of their military strength, I was more saying the total number of destroyed equipment on Oryx for both sides + those percentages indicate the floor level of losses for both sides. As to how much equipment both actually have in total, that'd be harder to pin down.

Dang it! Well 30 odd percent of pre-war stocks is the last I remember referenced for Russia.
At the very least the cost is enormous.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Prettz posted:

AMRAAM is a fairly little missile, how could that even be? That's approaching the cost of a Tomahawk according to wikipedia.

:usa:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

posting on the Rudy guillini page

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I'm cynical on Musk facing any sorts of consequences for anything ever, please prove me wrong.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I always figured the most obvious out would be simply to fake a loss in the fake elections in the annexed areas, say "well they want to be independent and not part of Russia," and then just bounce.

continue doing low-level insurgency there like 2014-2022

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

are those servers 12 and why are their outfits so baggy

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

mcvey posted:

How is russia so fuckin bad at this lmao

Well I know why but lmao anyways

nobody cares

there's a special type of person that fights for a democratic regime. volunteers that are ideologically predisposed to fight, kill, and endure hardship purely in support of that regime.
Putin spent 30 odd years propagandizing that this is bad and stupid thinking, never care about the state or nation, in order to excuse corruption
so every person in the RUAF is either there out of a pure desire to do violence (these people wouldn't really care to run an AA system or be smart enough) or to collect pay and do the bare minimum.

a lot of the former are already dead, leaving the latter and conscripts only doing it in as much as they have a gun to their head.

so you end up with AA systems manned by people who are lazy and just doing the bare minimum to be, on paper, doing their job- or conscripts who have no idea what the gently caress is going on and only got shoved in the seat so their commander can claim to have filled the required slots

I think on a less wildly asspull level Russia front-loaded the defensive lines and maybe pulled AA from the rear for that too.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Polish farmers have a right to be mad if this causes them financial stress, but the solutions to it are relatively simple:
1: Ensure the agenda is firmly towards this being Putin's fault.
2: Subsidize the farmers so their income is equal to last year at least.

Which has a cost and would mean Poland can't provide as much military aid directly, but allowing Ukraine grain to be sold through them is still support.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

I like how it's becoming increasingly apparent that the Soviet Union was strong despite, not because of, Russia.
Something that modern Russia has completely rear end backwards which really explains a lot of this.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Dr. Quarex posted:

Owning the libs has replaced all Republican ideology other than tax cuts. Though if Biden proposed across-the-board tax cuts at this point I think Republicans would still find a reason to oppose it. Probably saying he does not go far enough or he should prioritize tax cuts for JOB CREATORS

I would have said two years ago that they agreed on abortion but I think the surrender from that point of agreement has begun in earnest

debt

the debt only matters when a dem is in power to the point where it will negate dem tax cuts.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

god bless poland
I have personal friends who are very happy, and Hungary lost their fuckbuddy.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Fabulous Knight posted:

Okay, NATO stockpiles are being depleted. That sounds grim and honestly I did not see that coming. I guess this must be because Ukraine is still using old leftover stuff as of right now and starting/restarting ammunition production takes time, and can take as long as two years after the start of the conflict?

Or alternatively, "how the gently caress is this possible".

The fact of the matter is that Putin can throw infinite blood and treasure at this, and will as long as he's breathing. There is no apparatus to check him.
Countries with more responsible state structures are unable to do this for a variety of reasons. Combine that with the fact that we all thought a modern war would be 3 weeks of extreme intensity combined arms and here we are.

If Canada lost a BTG sized force of the CAF, it would probably cause the government to collapse in disgrace* and the leadership to get shaken up if not removed completely. Russia does this like, every week. The structure of the Russian system is simply so that the leader can waste as much as he wants, for any purpose, and nobody can stop him.

Think of it this way too: The west and NATO are unwilling to give Ukraine arms if it's to the degree it limits our own ability to respond to threats or provide a solid counter to whatever other peers we're worried about. Putin doesn't care, he's already wasted enough to ensure that Russia is no longer a peer threat militarily to anybody. Normally in war, you can only invest as much to win as would ensure nobody else can immediately push you over afterwards.

*I don't mean a coup or whatever I mean a non-confidence motion.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 21, 2023

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

QR Code Geass posted:

watch bush start a war?

It really is amazing how much of a historical artifact the 9/11 thread is. I read it yearly.
You can see in real time people guess the trajectory of the next 10 years of American policy, as well as a bunch of other people being radicalized in real time to be the reason that policy happened.

Also tribute.wmv being the same week as the attacks lol

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Kchama posted:

It turns out that posting literally everything you see means you sometimes get a scoop, but also people have posted 'news' that basically every member of the Russian government, especially Putin, has died about 5000000 times, usually involving poo poo because goons are obsessed with poo poo.

It's such an easy pull to post it and get people jerking off about it even though nothing to support it.

my uncle works at Nintendo and he says Putin went there and bought the Nintendo 128 and I got one too and it's actually so fast they use it for nuclear missiles and and the graphics are so good Putins head exploded when he tried to play grand theft auto (yuh huh it's on Nintendo now!!11) on it.

no you can't see it

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

If Russia actually wanted a buffer zone I'm pretty sure UA would agree to demilitarizing the east half of the country in a heartbeat in 2014.
instead, lol.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Apparently someone sent out a troll message to the pony HOI4 mod and possibly others. It's so nakedly a false flag because it's just "We want to erase Ukrainians" but reversed.

It's so absolutely apparent it's a false flag by some troll lol.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Coolguye posted:

the way my little pony took over the universe for a few years still does my head in

never forget fallout equestria

or preferably do, god help me i've tried

a television show that nerds desperate for some sort of positive outlet in their lives flock to, combined with said nerds being the exact sort of introvert to enjoy making 500,000 words of fan fiction.

I KNOW BECAUSE I DID.

The fact that the background lore is absolute world building catnip (enough to make you curious, not enough to make it not a cartoon) helps.

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

Still scratching my head about the concept of a my little pony mod for a war game.

It's because of a confluence of things: Nerds with free time, HOI4s insane modability, and the ability of HOI4 to function as a narrative device attached to an addictive map game. There's some very well made narratives buried in there, and they stack on each other. One good narrative inspires another writer, and after six odd years of this snowballing here we are. The fact that the map game is a ton more fun with an actual unique world, with uncertain outcomes, instead of "WW2 but what if" also lends itself to this.

In an on topic lol: The Ruble, lol.

E: okay legit I thought that post was newer, my bad.

SRQ fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 31, 2023

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Why are those guys uniforms so bare? I'd expect officers meeting the head of state to be in dress.
I had more stuff on my combats in basic.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

HonorableTB posted:

Putin was walking through Moscow and found a really long line - not unusual in Russia - but he joined it to see where it went.

Every time someone in front of him saw that he was standing behind them - they left the line…

Finally Putin asked someone “What is this line for and why are you now leaving it?”

A babushka said “This is the line for US Visas - but if you are applying for one - I don’t need it anymore…”

unbelievable, Putin would never walk anywhere.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

spankmeister posted:

If the war between china and the west is going to be about scaling up war production like WW2 was, my money is going to be on china.

assuming the west doesn't collapse politically and economically immediately, no the west wins.
the simple fact that america has no land borders against enemies it has to defend, and the combined western industrial capacity being able to adjust given enough time to do, means it will win- again.

America could be making an F-22 squadron ever other week, it isn't.
There's more thanks than the Army could ever use sitting in a depot in a desert.
They have practically infinite space and blue sky to train and equip new units.

It'd suck and 500 million people would die, but so long as the west retains the will to fight (not a certainty) it will always win. Unless China somehow invades the west coast and razes everything up to Montana within a year, they will inevitably lose.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Ronwayne posted:

I am continually enraged, not surprised but enraged, that we just got to let the GOP continue to wreck stuff on purpose and we get told "oh well, better vote against them!" and that's the only action that's permitted against them, while they get to keep trying again and again and again until their bullshit sticks.

The DNC has realized their own grift: If the GOP is one election away from fascism, they can do whatever the gently caress they want- forever- and still get votes.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Would be bad if Kadyrov was ordered to take command of Dagestan and mobilize to Ukraine war anyone from there connected to terrorism.

they're also terrorists and any state with a weak (or strong- it makes an attack break a veil of invincibility at the cost of being higher risk) security state is a ripe target to do something for attention. terrorist groups thrive on high publicity attacks of mass violence, which is exactly what they did. I doubt they picked Russia in specific, but the situation in Russia means it's ripe for this sort of thing and the security establishment is greatly weakened by the war.

the unique to IS move would be to actually seize land. are there any muslim majority areas they could feasibly try to pull that off?

E: I replied to the wrong guy dang. My overall point was "why Russia?" isn't a good question to ask, the question is: Why did it succeed? Terrorist groups are always trying attacks anywhere they can, most fail before they're even that far into planning.

"There were indications last night that they had escaped and that police were trying to hunt them down."

wait wtf they escaped? oh lordy

SRQ fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

lol @ the Russian economy outdoing IMF predictions entirely because India is giving them unlimited cash for oil.
like yeah long term turning yourself into a resource state is a very loving bad idea, but short term it means Putin can throw infinite treasure at this stupid mess and build up industry for further war

I absolutely think that if Ukraine falls, Europe will be next. Putin cannot stop, he has drastically altered society so that only constant war till the day he dies can keep him in power. If the soldiers come home, the economy crashes, and that's a lot of men with bones to pick and guns to spare.