Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Karma Comedian posted:

CommieGIR and Toxic Mental are the thread IKs. Also I will be here to handle things as needed as well as Tarquinn.

karmacomediansa@gmail.com if you don't have plat and want to reach me about an issue

ty to each of them for volunteering their time and energy for what is no doubt a pretty thankless task

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
nm

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

FirstnameLastname posted:

that's what i said, they were volunteers, i think you misread it

yeah, I misread it as volunteer militia (which is a thing russia uses a fair amount of), not as volunteer regular military

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

The imperial centers of Moscow and St Petersburg absolutely receive preferential treatment when it comes to conscription. Here, check out this map of where troops have been conscripted from to get a better idea - these were mapped due to casualty counts

A resident in SPb or Moscow would have a much different experience simply refusing a conscription order than a resident of Tuva or Buryatia. When I lived in Russia I was based out of Saint Petersburg and the stark contrast between SPb and even a respectably sized city like Arkangelsk or Irkutsk in terms of sheer wealth and modernization was, at times, stunning. If you go 15 miles outside of Samara you start encountering dirt roads, for example. The cities are the only places of influence in Russia and of the cities only two actually matter and those are St Petersburg and Moscow. Everything else is distinctly on lower levels and that level drops the further east you go

you know if there's a more recent version of that chart (that one is from may 22)? I'd be really curious to see what it looks like at this point after a conscription wave and the mobilization wave

the site it is from appears to be more or less defunct

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 5, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Futanari Damacy posted:

If we're to be successful with this, one thing that has to stop is the false equivalencies. They're a huge red flag for a number of reasons.

We are to infer from this statement that because the Russian army = Wehrmacht, that Putin = Hitler, Russia = Nazi Germany, and so forth ad nauseum. The purpose of using such equivalency is to get other people frothing at the mouth, because everyone correctly agrees that Nazis = poo poo. But all it does is trivialize the horrors of the Second World War. We've heard it every time America has an enemy- Saddam is worse than Hitler, Gaddafi is worse than Hitler, Maduro (lol) is worse than Hitler, and on and on and on. To those of us whom that war actually has meaning beyond video games, they are not the meaningful comparisons that the people blithely making them think they are.

If you want to know who the Nazis are, they will gladly tell you. Heck, they have a whole pantheon of symbols that they've stolen from various non-poo poo belief systems and permanently corrupted the meaning of. For those wanting to get a better sense of how to identify a real neo-Nazi, here's a good resource to get started: https://www.adl.org/resources/hate-symbols/search?f%5B0%5D=topic%3A1705

:rolleyes:

russia shouldn't publicly, openly frame their war as a genocidal war of conquest aimed at the specific destruction of Ukrainian identity and Ukrainian state if they don't want to be compared to other countries famous for genocide and wars of conquest

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

hemale in pain posted:

I think it's just talking about nazis all the time is lame. Not as lame as using it as an excuse for your genocidal war though lol

Yeah I wonder who framed this entire thing before it even started as a war against Nazis and of denazification.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

BrassRoots posted:

Most people that give loans like to get paid.

Technically, it is going to Ukraine. But all the aid getting thrown their way isn't free. There's always a catch. Plus it sounds good to report "we're giving ukraine all this money".

I'm pessimistic on governments and find them to be shady as gently caress. I guess we will wait and see.

lend lease isn't the legal mechanism being used to give Ukraine aid, they're getting aid primarily via Drawdown Authority and to a lesser extent via USAI (which contracts new equipment that Ukraine needs). neither of these mechanisms are loans, neither will have to be repaid. Most of what Ukraine is getting is equipment that the US military was retiring anyways and was already actively replacing

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 11, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

a hard day for the rear end-sack crew

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it is very fortunate for russia that they are not fighting US/NATO drones and instead are up against Ukrainian homebrew drone tech that is 6 months old

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
'NATO weapons' wahtever that means, have been in use in Ukraine for the better part of the last decade and it hasn't led to ww3 yet and idk what they'd have to use to actually provoke ww3 because even giving Ukraine enough missiles to kill tens of thousands of Russians has apparently not provoked it. you'd think that if anything would've that would be it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

impressive that they have managed 78 likes for that in 3 days given the list of groups and speakers involved

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i've had it for a while, it makes me chuckle every time i write a long tedious post that sucks to read

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Russia's killing of dissidents (and an innocent bystander) in the UK and particularly by doing it with chemical weapons and nuclear materials really can not be overstated as a factor in why the UK is so actively opposed to Russia's interests and efforts. In strict terms and from a security perspective, one is a chemical weapons attack and another is a nuclear attack (not in the sense of a nuclear bomb, but rather that it is an attack using nuclear material and an explicit step on the stairs towards nuclear escalation).

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 4, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
There's a whole messaging/info op going on around them and all the low credibility pro-ukraine accounts are signal boosting some wild poo poo so it would be very prudent to read everything about them with an extra large grain of salt

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Bone Crimes posted:

Ah, ok thanks for the clarity. Still, I could like understand maybe one raid getting through, then some changes happening and that not really being feasible anymore, but this (even if a a low level) seems to be happing for what - a week now?

to repel an attack by a tank or two, some afvs and light vehicles with artillery support requires a fairly significant garrison force that is well equipped. russia currently has a relative manpower and materiel shortage and forcing them to garrison hundreds of more miles of border would spread their forces out even further. Of the hundreds of miles of previously uncontested border, most of it is not set up to stop actual concerted, well-equipped, supported Ukrainian pushes because Russia had assumed that Ukraine was not going to push into Russian territory.

it's a clusterfuck because it would take a lot of resources to fully prevent which Russia can't and won't spare from the front

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

zone posted:

The amazing Blyatman

pictured: gerasimov personally repelling the Ukrainian offensive

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

there's a special kind of just over the top absurdity you only get from authoritarian power structures and lol this is the cream of that crop

Oldsmobile posted:

Ikr, I saw a tweet saying something like "now why would Russia blow this dam up, doesn't make sense" (obviously implying it was Ukraine) and like have you not been paying attention to the last year-and-a-half?! Liek why would Russia do any of this poo poo, it doesn't make sense YET HERE WE loving ARE

doesn't make sense to get 2000 tanks exploded yet here we are

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

second boot has hit the dam

careful study will reveal that it is actually the same boot, proving that it was the same yank sabotage team

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'm convinced that there's basically no way to photoshop khakovka's baghdad bob guy to be any more perfect than that image already is

on the other hand I'm fine with being proved completely wrong

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

In an uncommon seriouspost from me, the dam's destruction was an absolutely calamitous event. The flood waters are not expected to dissipate into the Black Sea for up to 2 weeks, and therefore it is extremely unlikely that casualty counts, whether civilian, Ukrainian, Russian, animal, or human, will be known for quite some time, and will likely never be fully known in the same vein as other mass casualty events such as tsunamis and hurricane storm surges. If anyone would have those figures, it would be the RU Ministry of Defense, and since they didn't bother telling their own boys to get the gently caress out before flooding them to death, there's likely never going to be anything like a real accounting of the losses from this on the Russian side.

yeah for anyone struggling to visualize the scale of the disaster, dam is (was) the red line, reservoir is circled

that's a body of water 1/3 the size of delaware and in terms of volume, about 2/3 of lake mead or lake powell

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 7, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
he's referring to a famous incident where humanitarian food-aid packets were designed to be highly visible and as such were put in bright yellow plastic packaging. simultaneously, an unrelated group designing cluster bombs for the US was designing the bomblets to be highly visible and used a similar bright yellow plastic packaging that resembled the food ration. iirc it was promptly addressed once they figured out what was going on, but the issue was two completely unrelated design decisions that until then no one had thought to coordinate.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Deki posted:

I do have to lol that most of the accused western "wonderwaffe" are just regular rear end systems/vehicles that have been in active and regular use since before I've been alive. Though most of them are going to have modernization upgrades/packages of course.

The Switchblades are the only extremely recent thing I've heard about the US giving Ukraine, and those seem to be more about seeing how well they actually perform in combat (not very well, apparently)

switchblades are at least 1, possibly 2 generations old (and I suspect were not very popular relative to alternatives given that a bunch of them were leftover to give to Ukraine). Like they're a decade old tech

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah I dunno normally I would agree that elitism and generalizations are bad and but I don't really see how broad strokes criticism of Russian society is gonna lead someone down a path to something similar to "Nuclear Armageddon is good actually, God gave us Nukes."

Especially you know, someone in a position of authority and not a position you want someone raging out with hysterical annihilationist rhetoric.

the post that is in response to is an almost word to word restatement of russia's reasoning for launching the war just with the names reversed.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Лол, што indeed

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

appears to have been recovered from the bottom of khakovka reservoir based on the condition

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

EasilyConfused posted:

I can't even begin to parse this.

He's being facetious and it's a complaint that Moscow has a lot of powerful jews. It's a fairly common theme with him and other Russian nationalists.

HonorableTB posted:

the complaint is russia is getting its poo poo kicked in and they dont like it

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2023/05/29/two-weeks-at-the-front-in-ukraine

Two Weeks at the Front in Ukraine, a good article.

seconding this is a really, really good article

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

hard to imagine anything that could fill me with less confidence lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

confused posted:

Yes. Moscovites are going to all suddenly decide that they care enough about politics to attempt to fight off a massive group of heavily armed mercenaries with, ummm, rocks or something I guess.

yeah u can't even own guns in moscow*

*with some tiny caveats

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tarquinn posted:

Quoting this for the new page.

is that happening?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Oldsmobile posted:

I mean, with zero info available, all there is to do is speculate like crazy.

Prigozhin "getting what he wanted" isn't exactly clear either.

E: Shoigu is nervous, accodring to Telegram rumors: https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1673072309668544513

'telegram rumors' is being generous here

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lmao

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
*puts quarter in toilet paper vending machine next to the toilet while firing up twitter to post about how communist china is*

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
there's videos from as far back as late april showing prigozhin discussing the possibility of rolling up to moscow with war correspondents

EasilyConfused posted:

Unless those linked articles say more, that's very different than:

i believe that post is referencing a wapo article on this as well

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
'he went to work in the belarusian seafood industry'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

Lol and lmao at all the rumours that Shoigu is done

look some guy on twitter was referencing someone on telegram who was themselves quoting infamously unreliable telegram channels, there's no way anyone could have told that was a trash tier rumor

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
any time you employ a weapon system it's only a matter of time before it falls into enemy hands and even if it didn't, they'd still eventually learn how to mitigate its impact. having a physical copy removes some of the trial and error. given that storm shadows are the only long range weapon system that ukraine has, being able to mitigate their threat is of particular interest to russia

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
i dont think nafo has really led to there being less russian propaganda/info efforts but what it has done is ensured that the comment sections of that poo poo are full of dog avatar guys making GBS threads on pro-z morons 24/7 which is apparently aggravating the gently caress out of pro-z types. which is hilarious and ultimately probably pretty good for the ~info space~.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 9, 2023

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Toxic Mental posted:

I mean we can just threadban fizzy if he's actually malicious, idgaf. I'd leave that up to the thread's posters though because you're the ones ultimately reading it (or not reading itlol)

yes do it he adds less than nothing

E:

Toxic Mental posted:

lol Okay you're threadbanned bitch, that's enough of whatever this was lmao

tyvm

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

the popes toes posted:

On a few telegram channels so not sure of their provenance but the Russian VDV (reportedly) publicly expressed that if their commander is removed, it will be a fatal mistake for, presumably, the MOD.

“We, the paratroopers, warn that we will not tolerate such actions in relation to General Teplinsky. And in the event of the slightest threat to his life and freedom, we will stand as a wall to protect the honor and dignity of our commander. We are very determined. Up to the point that we will withdraw from our positions and go to the rescue of our Bata. You, those who sit in the offices! The landing party does not abandon its own! Do not make fatal mistakes"

can you link the posts? I'd be curious to see those.

on a related note, some very military affiliated telegram channels that were die-hard MoD during the prigozhin mutiny were livid over popov's firing, which I wouldn't read into overly, but it was certainly remarkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Mikojan posted:

Satire is dead

that's not satire that's palo alto, it's way worse