Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
We can ride the dragons up, right? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

would you smooch a fish?

a) heck yeah
b) heck yeah
c) heck yeah
d) heck yeah

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mourning Due posted:

😆😆😆 I definitely felt the same the first time I met him. Like, they couldn't have given that personality to the goron or something?

Is there precedent in Japanese culture for birds being arrogant?

I feel like the kind of arrogant personality that's funny on a skinny bird-man like Revali would be a lot less likeable when attached to a giant, angry Goron.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Today in "things I only just learned about Breath of the Wild," it turns out Eventide Island has a paraglider course if you go back after completing the shrine quest.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Honestly, a lot of games suffer from Magical Princess Voice, where female actors are instructed to use a specific type of voice to indicate that they're Magic, which in practice means "try to sound kind of posh and British, but not in the way that any actual British person has ever spoken." Zelda and Mipha both have it; a lot of the cast of Final Fantasy XIV had it before they swapped studios; Gloria from Bravely Default II has it.

Honestly, almost nobody can emote when they're doing an accent that doesn't actually is; I listened to an audiobook lately where the narrator was trying to combine male and female vocal patterns to indicate "the narrator's gender is deliberately ambiguous" and the result was just "this doesn't sound like any real person of any gender."

It would be nice if the trope got called out more in the hopes that directors would stop doing it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I went back to play Breath of the Wild again and finished Champion's Ballad and the first Trial of the Sword for the first time.

The DLC shrines are very good at hitting the right balance of "this is bullshit; this is bullshit; I give up; I'm going to look up the solution; I'm going to look it up right now; wait, no, I see what to do; I'm doing it; I win; I am a genius."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's possible that Hyrule is actually a regnal name and they don't take it up until they ascend the throne.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

People mentioned getting their old horses back, but the stables didn't have any option like that for me. I also keep running into guys like Beedle who act like we haven't met, which makes me wonder if my save game didn't get read properly.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Augus posted:

jfc what the gently caress are these hand enemies I just got loving jumpscared by

I just beat one and something even worse happened.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Evermeans are great because they result in you actually collecting wood naturally without having to stop doing fun things to waste a weapon on twenty trees.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This game has so much content that it almost makes me wish I had the option to lock major quests so that I could only complete one each week, because it's so difficult to pace myself, both in terms of "okay, one more thing oh wow is it four AM" and in terms of "okay, I could explore that cave but Sidon probably needs my help and there's probably stuff locked behind that".

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It seems like maybe they don't like rain , either?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there anything that is supposed to guide you towards the dragons tears when watching the murals from above? Because I just cannot spot what it is, I just trek across the entire thing always and it takes up a lot of time.

The dragon tear is in the one section of the glyph that's filled in rather than hollow.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Yiga Clan's efforts to eliminate me are growing vaguely competent. I'm feeling a weird emotion, kind of like paternal pride?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Getting better armor is significantly more meaningful to your survival than having more heart containers.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The game has serious memory limitations in order to cram in so many details, and that's why a maximum of 10 NPCs can remember who Link is at once.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

CJacobs posted:

This must be why Addison has simply permanently forgotten that nails and hammers exist. It'd take more processing power than he has available.

I keep trying to come up with a simple summary of what's wrong with Addison's approach to carpentry and failing. I have to assume that he's some kind of Yiga Clan spy and that when I solve every sign puzzle in the game I will finally learn how this was all part of an elaborate plot to kill me.

Khanstant posted:

do yall want everyone to stop and thank you for your service or what? the doordash clan has saved me from starvation plenty of times but i dont remember their names even though they text it to me

This makes me want to do the Treize Kushrenada thing and shame you by reciting the names of every single person who has ever brought me groceries, but I regret that I cannot.

That said, people seem to be bizarrely inconsistent about knowing who Link is, given that he's effectively married to the head of state, on top of being the world's biggest badass who is also universally agreed to be super hot. A few people know? But not as many as you would suspect, and it's particuarly weird in places like Kakariko, which was basically Hero-Assisting Village in the first game, and Hateno, where you have apparently lived for the past however many years.

It honestly took me out of the game a little bit when NPCs like Beedle didn't recognize me, even if it's objectively only a minor thing. It just made the game world feel less real, especially since I'd just completed a preparatory Breath of the Wild playthrough.

It's particularly wei

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I would honestly be okay with a mod that removes the dead-eyed stare from my ghost buddies.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

MiracleFlare posted:

The problem is that the four main town questlines lean into the mystery of why Zelda keeps appearing in strange circumstances, sometimes siccing monsters on people. And again while it's a pretty flimsy mystery where the answer is easily guessed, it gets a little silly seeing characters working themselves up over it when you already know the truth.

Then there are the stable questlines, which as far as I can figure out from where I am, frequently look like Zelda doing something evil but were actually her doing something good? So, presumably that was the real Zelda, and therefore must have happened before she disappeared, and were therefore obviously irrelevant to the search for her?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I only started the quest but I kind of want her to become mayor and realize to her horror that it's actual work and not just sticking mushrooms on things.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Rageaholic posted:

Okay, so I'm trying to get the Master Sword and I watched a few videos on how to do it, but it requires me to go to the Minshi Grove portion of the depths, and when I do, past a certain point my body catches on fire even with the Flamebreaker armor on. Am I doing something wrong here?

...I don't think that has anything to do with how you get that item! That's... not in the depths at all.

EDIT: Oh, so you're trying to do the Korok Woods part of the lead-up? You might need to try entering the underground from a different entrance to get there.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I got the impression that they were beloved Good Royalty, worshipped as gods, and Ganondorf puts a really negative spin on it because he's a card-carrying villain and that's his only context for a system of government.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Yeah, uh, Rauru married Sonia because he loved her. It's not really odd at all; the fact that Ganondorf throws shade on it is a sign that he's a malice elemental. Nobody has anything bad to say about Rauru or the Zonai except Ganondorf, and, I guess, Rauru himself.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Wouldn't it be Rauru's stone that was stuck to his hand and was then picked up by Zelda, then taken back through time? She keeps it through the whole story until she eats it, so there's no real time paradox, just a single object in two places at once. Sonia's stone stays with Ganondorf, since if he didn't have it, he wouldn't be the demon king.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The Triforce is kind of up there with the Sword of Mana in the rankings of "magical powers that never actually provide any benefit to the world except for maybe, sometimes, undoing some of the damage done by evil forces in trying to steal it."

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Black Griffon posted:

edit 3: Addison deserves crucifixion more than the koroks

Trying to crucify Addison is basically just throwing Br'er Rabbit into the briar patch.

If you're looking for a new controller, the 8bitd0 Ultimate works really well in 2.4ghz mode and actually has the ability to wake the console from sleep. (People keep saying you have to shake it but they're wrong; just holding the home button works.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Come to think of it, why is the newspaper out in Rito country and not in Lookout Landing?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Costco Meatballs posted:

It got too cold for the stable to operate so the newspaper bought it.

Okay, first, that's not actually a very good reason when you think about it, but my actual intended question was "why did the game place the first step of this questline which is important to unlocking several important things out on a spoke when it could easily have been at the hub?"

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Valsu posted:

please no :cry:

It's not that hard... is it possible that you never tried pushing him into the barbed wire?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Item Getter posted:

I thought the Gibdo in this game were pretty interesting, like some kind of weird cross between undead skeletons and an insectoid hive. It's kind of fun to speculate how they work as a species, like maybe they burrow around looking for bones beneath the earth and bring them back to the mushroom hives where they get fitted with just the "head" part that turns them into a living part of the hive. And the Gibdo Queen is just one of the big skeletons you see in the Gerudo Desert that's been converted into their hive.

Is there anything about them that indicates that they're actually undead, and not just a weird undead-looking bug?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Guys, you think too small. We should be able to build our own Guardian.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The more you think about how Gerudo society actually works, the more your head hurts.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

...okay, I can't find a quest for the guy in Gerudo jail, either. I guess this is just... how it is?

God, why is everything to do with the Gerudo so messed up? Do the writers know it's messed up? It feels like they don't know.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's the same reason why Princess Celestia isn't Queen Celestia.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I love you Zelda. But I'm going to shoot you in the face every ten minutes for the next couple hours

Zelda would absolutely farm Link for drops if the situation were reversed. She would write a GameFAQs guide to Link farming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Isnt that the owl from kings quest

the owl can successfully identify poisonous snakes