Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

Herstory Begins Now posted:

To add some context for anyone unfamiliar with the specific dam and body of water involved:

Red arrow is roughly the dam. That entire body of water upstream is what was just unleashed downstream....

Not entirely accurate... There's a dam at Zaporizhzhia and another at
Kamianske (a little up river from Dnipro). In fact there's dams all along the Dnieper

It's certainly a gently caress ton of water though.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Orthanc6 posted:

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/1668083952039362561?s=20&fbclid=IwAR0q_STUvsFJ3uX6supvf5XXZ14jEgW79hjO0H46SNreB-oiVDUBjXbwWQ8

Content of the article is fine, title of the article on Time's website is fine, but that's a big ol ooof for the headline on Twitter.
Yeah they updated the website article title... but it WAS the same when first posted.

:ughh:

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Uh...

Roadblocks are up...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
I'm here with my traffic jam... it's just out of frame laughing....

(Have a second look at that first video, particularly when the camera is facing the head of the column.... thats a clear road ahead)

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

madeintaipei posted:

We can't stop here, this is Blyat country!
ftfy.... I mean it was right there!!

Would probably make a good thread title...

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Absurd Alhazred posted:

War in Ukraine CE: A serving FSB officer and two lightly armed furries
Seconded.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Have we seen any confirmed or credible reports of damage to the bridge yet?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Paladinus posted:

The justification by Russia, by the way, is probably going to be that a drone manufacturers expo was held there.

For those wondering, the "Dignitas" logo bottom left is not the assisted end-of-life firm from Switzerland.... or the team of professional gamers.

It's a "A charity organization dedicated to the victory of Ukraine" according to their linkedin page and are based in New York. They have a 1,000 drones for Ukraine initiative on their web-site which would explain their inclusion in this event, as well as other initiatives.

Edit for mods: This is not an endorsement or promotion of this charity. Rather an explanation for anyone else who had a "why the gently caress would THEY be there..?" moment.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Aug 19, 2023

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Paladinus posted:

People used to move ships by land just by dragging them around over logs. Surely since then there have been some improvements to the process.
You can solve most problems with a good transporter log...

Mr. Apollo posted:

Has anyone heard or seen anything about Kadyrov? A bunch of accounts on Twitter are saying that Andrii Yusov (Ukrainian military intelligence spokesperson) said that his health suddenly deteriorated and he's fallen into a coma.
The Kyiv Independent is reporting that as well.
https://kyivindependent.com/military-intelligence-chechen-warlord-kadyrov-in-critical-condition/

quote:

Ukraine's Security Service (SBU) has confirmed that Chechen strongman Ramzan Kadyrov is in critical condition due to serious illness, SBU Spokesperson Andriy Yusov told the Ukrainian news outlet Obozrevatel on Sept. 15.

"Yes, indeed, there is information that war criminal Kadyrov is in serious condition — his existing diseases have worsened and caused such a serious condition," Yusov said.
Not sure of their credibility though.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

bird food bathtub posted:

There's early reporting that this conflict is re-igniting. Apparently Christmas has an expeditionary force moving towards Halloween's border. Conquering Thanksgiving did not appease them.
They're selling Christmas puddings at my local supermarket already. That boat has sailed.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

dr_rat posted:

But Halloween isn't even for like a month and a half.

They can't steal Halloween from us like this!!!

Bell_ posted:

I was in Germany last year and at the very beginning of September they were selling Christmas breads, if you're looking as to how Halloween was stollen from you.
The Halloween beachhead has been lost, Christmas has swept through October and the September equinox. Tinsel decorated forces are now invading early September

===

As far as the Kadyrov situation goes, are there any prospective successors? Has Kadyrov named one?

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Nenonen posted:

I just now realized that the target is a Z, heh
You may have missed something about the original then....

"Everything from A to Z"
:ughh:

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Sep 27, 2023

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Totally normal poster... just doing an interview in a pyjama top...

and posting nazi waifus...

https://twitter.com/ArmchairW/status/1708685513522286964

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

jaete posted:

"In priority frontline sectors, we have the following ratio: one of our drones to five or seven enemy drones", says some Ukrainian army guy

This seems pretty concerning - even if Ukraine gets more aid etc, how would they attack into such a mass of drones? Maybe just have to... go around? As I understand it anti-drone tech isn't exactly great yet on either side, so not sure if a remedy even exists.

Here's some random guy also saying that drones have already become a big deal especially on the Russian side (short thread):
https://twitter.com/Mylovanov/status/1734328740610511296
'Reporting from Ukraine' (the youtube guy who posts short daily updates and who I'm pretty sure has been accepted as a reliable source by this thread) posted a few days ago that RU forces were sending only a very few drones in recon missions because the recon units don't have many left and once they're gone, the units will be forced to conduct recon patrols, which no-one on the RU side wants to do.

I can't remember exactly the date, but it was in the last week I'm pretty sure.

Of course that was recon drones. I'm not sure what the Shaheed and loitering munition situation is like.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
The photo in that tweet crops out the fact that the entire bow of the ship in the foreground is potentially missing.

https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1739590549315723674

edit: photo of Novocherkassk for reference...

photo of sister-ship Caesar Kunikov

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 26, 2023

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde
Better video of the explosion...

https://twitter.com/JimmySecUK/status/1739598861771894907

Looks like it starts at one end and flashes through the rest of the ship. :nms: Link to extracted video if you want to confirm that. No gore or anything that can't be seen in the twitter vid, but tagging as per rules

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 26, 2023

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Gort posted:

What's on the second page?
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1749161300196728989.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

Slippery Tilde

Keisari posted:

Putting a killswitch to your missiles sounds like a terrible idea to me. You are one hack away from losing your entire arsenal.
Chief Marshal of Artillery Nedelin has logged in.

Edit: sorry, had to. I'm listening to the WTYP cast of the Nedelin Catastrophe right now and the timing of your post was irresistible.

Cable Guy fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 14, 2024