Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Queen owns and Night at The Opera may be the perfect album ever made, stand out even among all their other greats, but also since apparently people don't know them, reminder they did the entire OST and score for the 1980s Flash Gordon movie and it's incredible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYTYqs-ytSk&t=9s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

fun hater posted:

ive only played the video game which is good. its also really bad and unplayable. but its also the greatest game ever made

wesp's obsessively maintained patch made it wayyyyyy more playable a while back and keeps updating textures and assets to make it not feel quite so ancient and added in a bunch of QoL and also and easily opt-outable restrored/extra content. If you haven't played it in a while it's worth giving it a run through with that. Looks like it got a new update 2 months ago, there's some new "replay level as a vampire hunter" mode?: https://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-unofficial-patch

surc
Aug 17, 2004

elf help book posted:

whats in the insane one

The only real crazy thing about the patch itself is IIRC it doesn't work any more because the dev stated they were never upgrading past windows 7 and on windows 10+ you have to do different stuff to patch the game.

All the VtmB craziness was about Tessmage raging out about somebody else making a different mod that wasn't the "right" way to mod it and the community splitting and writing giant screeds about it.
Initially the this is bad response kind of made sense because the other modder (wesp) was also restoring+adding in additional content based off unfinished gamefiles etc. and you couldn't install just the fixes but they sorted that out in response to people getting mad and made it configurable.

Here's people getting real mad about it on gamefaqs 15 years ago https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/914819-vampire-the-masquerade-bloodlines/40912554

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Danaru posted:

I never quite understood, how did this post give the game away?

KM tried to edit their post on their alt and the buttons weren't there so they posted asking about if the thread wasn't working, then realized why once the post showed up from their alt and they then went back and edited the post from the KM account after.

e: oh or I'm totally wrong, I'd trust rhino's answer over mine

surc fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 16, 2023

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Is d4 more or less like d2 than PoE? I put up with how PoE is because it's stayed the closest to feeling like new d2

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Wormskull posted:

It’s way less.

gently caress!!! :mad:

I'm playing freelancer (roguelite) mode of Hitman from start of the year and its real good if you like Hitman, it feels like an actual endgame with replayability and progress once you're done with the story-campaign instead of just sandboxing around, and doing a 'full run' is like 20 levels or something and the targets are randomly picked out from all the npcs so it actually feels like a whole new campaign rolled each time.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

TheMightyBoops posted:

I take it back there is one problem with the switch and it’s that I can’t get this color.

The "blue" switch lite is real close

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Outer worlds is actually really rad, they sure are taking their sweet time getting it out of EA though I'm starting to worry we may not get a finished product.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Buschmaki posted:

There's a manmade ecosystem with crocodiles and fish and poo poo inside this

Are there really unlimited ducks?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I'm behind by like 10 pages or something but I spent a decade+ begging people to appreciate and play sleeping dogs and since it no longer seems needed I am going to move on to begging people to play the next great game that more people should play and many missed, Quantum Break.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I’m curious, what’s good about Quantum Break?

I mean I basically love all of it, uhh lemme try and do a quick list of some off the top of my head:
- It's a Remedy game.

- It's the engine and story done right before Control and it shows, there's a lot of really awesome and fun time stop powers you use to take on hordes of enemies in a way that feels extremely satisfying, and a whole lot of themes and styles in the world and storytelling. It's also very distinct and it's own thing though not just 'control but before they did control', remedy always does really good different genre stabs imo.

- The progression from normal schlub heading back home to deal with your rear end in a top hat brother to timepower god feels satisfying and nicely paced

- This is a weird thing to call out but it has a big impact, they do a good job of making the levels feel like complete real world buildings or spaces you're in, the levels and world you're moving through feels extremely grounded in contrast to the absurd poo poo going on in it. Also means the transition from platforming/exploring into combat and out hits harder.

- Story feels like a good budget well written sci-fi channel tv show, has a great cast (Shawn Ashmore, Aidan Gillen, Lance Reddick, Dominic Monaghan, Courtney Hope [she's jesse faden in control too] several other good actresses who I don't recognize from other things)

- The thing people gave it a bunch of poo poo over at launch, its live action sci-fi tv show cutscenes between chapters actually kick rear end (TBF people were mad becuase it's like 40-60 gigs of video or something so it's understandable). This could be a list itself, some of it's gimmicky but it's all fun and time travel trope-y, your choices in chapters change details of the videos and then in the middle of them it goes to game mode and you take over the antagonist and make a choice as them that impacts enemy behavior going forward, more good-scifi-channel style stuff going on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruY1eT9bXiw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyNYbVPSs38

surc fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 2, 2023

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Hell yeah! I downloaded it.

:hellyeah:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I didn't like Quantum Break. I like Sam Lake's genre influences but in QB's case the genre was apparently "that series of generic Lost rip-offs which were on TV in like 2010", and that's just boring.

Late 2000s high-budget scifi channel style is not the same as a lost ripoff you heartless gently caress, how dare you?!?!?!

Seriously though the story is very much of a specific style that gets a bit trope-y and lays it on thick sometimes and I absolutely understand it not being people's thing but it's well done at what it is and I do strongly disagree with the lost ripoff bit.

If anything it's a bit too lazy in following the narrative footprints of Max Payne and Alan Wake which very heavily lean into tv genre-fiction character archtypes and dialogue etc. But I think it does that with the "scifi channel tv show" flavor not the "network tv cash grabs" one

surc fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 2, 2023

surc
Aug 17, 2004

The actual post isn't from here it's from some vw forum and got shared in the "PYF Other Forum Sagas" thread, the archive.org link works but will take a while to load like they do:

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080611230644/http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3880087

Guy lives in a gated community, gets his car booted because he forgot his parking tag or something like that. So, he jacks up his car and puts all four wheels on rolling dollies, and pushes his car into his garage - because the rules say he doesn't have to pay if the booted car is on his property (he was booted while parked on the street). He then calls Arizona Parking Solutions and tells them to come get their boots, the police get involved and take his side, hilarity ensues.

I think about it periodically it's always a good gently caress-hoas lol

surc fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 19, 2023

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Rogue Trader is out today....GAMERS!!! ASSEMBLE....!

Thought this might be modern Escape Velocity but it's just some warhammer bullshit gently caress

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Masking your substance abuse problems in cutesy language use cool.

None of this language is cutesy

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Thank you

surc
Aug 17, 2004

NoiseAnnoys posted:

fallen london, like the sexpest steampunk monkeycheese browser larp game?

I haven't played fallen london in years but I did play and enjoy sunless sea and sunless skies the other games by the dev, what's the sexpest bit about?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

nrook posted:

one of the big sunless sea/fallen london writers, the cultist simulator guy, was a workplace sexual harassment superstar of some sort. don't remember the details but it wasn't good. he hasn't worked for them for ages though (sunless skies contains nothing of his); iirc that's why he quit and made cultist simulator in the first place.

Oh well that sucks, thanks.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

wait now I'm confused again, is that not a confirmed bachelor?

It used to do double duty in a few variations of "dude not interested in women" from like the 1800s until the 1970s and then it just basically pivoted to just being a euphemism for homosexual, if you're reading or watching something old it might be the old thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Waste of Breath posted:

Can't think of a reason why a gay man might want to plausibly deny their sexuality prior to the sexual revolution.

what lol I was just saying if they're watching an old enough british crime drama their original thought about how it was being used might not be wrong, guess I missed the dick joke.