Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

One day cultural anthropologists will dig into this thread to understand how the WWE collapsed and they will find only fossilized rubber chicken remains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think we should all be emotionally healthier and more willing to mend our disagreements, and I hope one day we can all be as mature around here as CM Punk.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Deuce and Domino's finisher was Domino holding an opponent by the neck while Deuce ran the ropes and just kicked them in the mouth, and it ruled.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The gently caress, man.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

My fiancee and I went to Wrestlemania 31, and it was kind of great to see how even outdoors, with the sun still up, he could still get his weird spooky poo poo across and have a stadium completely focused on it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Ziggler was always way better than the WWE let him be, but that's also almost everyone in the WWE. Either way it's pretty awesome that we just had a bunch of stories about how morale is in the toilet and then they simultaneously announced a billion-dollar TV deal and began firing a bunch of people everyone on the roster loves.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

For some reason, trying to change the thread title to that is throwing an invalid characters error. Ricochet is apparently an invalid character.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Joey McChrist posted:

its the apostrophe in wasn't thats causing it

e; i think, thread titles are touchy af

Nope, that was it, good catch. I replaced the apostrophe with an apostrophe and that magically made it work. How bizarre.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Surf Ninjas is in part responsible for the rise of mixed martial arts in America, so it is the superior _____ Ninjas film.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

so many dream matches

Lexis King

i don't know if the ring can contain this much loose cannoning

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I wish everything wasn't terrible all of the time.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

explosivo posted:

They did a good job of burying the whole thing considering it's only been a year and it seemed like everyone just forgot that whole thing happened. This feels different, though.

I don't think it's so much people forgetting as that people gave up because he got away with it again, like he always has. Like, the grisly details weren't present but a lot of the structure of this was already known, but when he barely suffers consequences outside of "we made him retire early with a bunch of money" some of that care flakes away, and when he rides back on a horse named gently caress You and makes billions of dollars in a huge public comeback, people just sort of sigh and move on and put it out of their heads because what can you do, rich people win again.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I really feel it’s not the time for the most brain dead epic rereg permaban alt guys to try to stir poo poo up.

I agree and I think we're gonna let the thread take the night off and come back to it in the morning.

Look: This poo poo sucks. Vince McMahon being a monster who got away with it for decades sucks. The number of people who looked the other way sucks. The likelihood that a bunch of the people who enabled his crimes will completely get away with it sucks. It's impossible not to feel infuriated by it and being fuckin' mad about it is outright necessary.

But we've skated pretty far past the line into just kind of turning it into yelling bullshit now. No one's getting anything out of figuring out who's alt-trolling, deciding if Ilja Dragunov is culpable for executive sex crimes or fantasizing about Vince McMahon being drawn and quartered.

So we're gonna lock the thread and cool off for the night. Erin and MRT talked about starting a thread specifically for the investigations and subsequent fallout just to keep the information contained somewhere easier to read and understand than a near-600 page thread, but to be clear that doesn't mean it cannot also be discussed here when we reopen, we just have to do it with slightly less wishing for death and slightly less jumping down each others' throats.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Eat My Fuc posted:

i assume there will be no rumble thread?

I think it would be a pretty bad idea.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

The argument that you can't escape evil because shoes exists because you need shoes. You can do something else for entertainment.

At the same time, goons bullying other goons for continuing to be fans feels like it'll be as effective as one of those "if we all stop buying gas on Tuesday" campaigns.

Nothing that happens in this thread is going to change anything, but by that same token, there's no reason for this community not to be entitled to its communal anger. We're all getting through it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

3 A.M. Radio posted:

Real question, why is this thread even open? It seems like any talk outside of Vince gets a negative reactions, and there's already a thread dedicated to talking about Vince, which seems to be the only acceptable subject right now. You even had a mod coming in and saying you're posting at your own peril if you talk about WWE. So why not avoid all this conflict and close this thread?

The thread's still here to talk about the WWE. Yeah, it's going to get a negative reaction right now, because right now, it's impossible to extricate the WWE from the horrible poo poo it is currently trying to cover up. That does not mean you can't do it, or even talk about it here! Some people have even been doing it! But, yes, people are going to be mad right now. I am enough of an herb about trying to get everyone to be nice to everyone that my moderating annoys half of this forum and, right now, even I'm not going to give people poo poo about it. This is an extremely reasonable time to be mad.

It's still perfectly fine to talk about the WWE in the WWE thread. The thread audience is not particularly positive about the WWE right now, and that's fine, too. The only thing that's going to get you authoritatively dinged is getting mad at people for being mad or pulling a 'did you consider that you, too, might have flaws' because it's stupid.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

We all watch wrestling and I have it on good authority that it's fake so we're all morons.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

1glitch0 posted:

This Roman Reigns match isn't fake. If it was fake surely it would be less boring.

I'm not watching, but do let me know if, say, the bloodline interferes and ruins the match, somehow

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MorningMoon posted:

some folk in a discord i'm at watching the rumble, whatever i don't care for them that much, but it made me find out that the Universal fourway match was in the middle of the show. Like it was directly followed by the US title match. Does HHH not know how to book a card?

Roman Reigns needs to get out early before any media can ask him for comment.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That DICK! posted:

f... gently caress! this guy is owning me somehow! mods... MODS! unjustly come to my defense against this straight shooting rogue!!!!

i am here to protect us all from the truth

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Points to The Ringer and Brandon Thurston for at least trying to press him on it after his initial non-answer. Not that I expected him to do anything else, but still, gently caress.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Sex Farm posted:

I like that he says he had the opportunity to be in the UFC. He was brought in as a sideshow, it was one of the carniest things UFC has done right?

They had to run an entire regional scouting operation and mini-tournament to find someone who a) didn't look like a complete schlub but b) CM Punk had a credible chance of beating, and then he steamrolled Punk in two minutes. They then had Punk fight the tournament runner-up, who was in fact only a part-time fighter whose real job was photography, and he made a point out of deliberately not finishing Punk and simply beating on him for fifteen minutes to show how little Punk could actually do to him. And then the fight photographer turned out to have smoked too much weed so in addition to having already been a giant gently caress-you to CM Punk the fight was also stricken from the records.

This angered the promoter so much that he paid an Irish fighter to come in and beat up the photographer as revenge, except the Irish guy instead kicked him in the balls twice in two minutes and then almost gouged out one of his eyes so that fight became one of the small handful of times a UFC fighter has ever won by disqualification.

It is, still, one of the funniest sequences of events in mixed martial arts.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Shard posted:

why did Matt Jackson not finish the fight if he could have? Was he mad at Punk did he not give a gently caress? Has he ever spoken about this?

He did, on Booker T's podcast. Short version: It was extremely clear Punk wasn't prepared the way he thought he was and Jackson didn't want to hurt him more than he had to, especially because it was in Chicago in front of Punk's people. As he put it, being the second guy to finish CM Punk wouldn't have done anything for his career or gotten him paid any more money, so why hurt him unnecessarily.

projecthalaxy posted:

Presumably its a seth petruzelli/kimbo slice situation where dana gave him 50k to not finish

It's actually the other way around, Dana was fuckin' furious with Jackson for it. He called him out for showboating and making the sport look silly, which is pretty funny for the guy who booked CM Punk in multiple real fights, and it kicked off Dana White's personal revenge journey that ultimately cost Jackson several weeks of ball injury recovery.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lamuella posted:

"I don't like pineapple on pizza"

"yeah? Well I don't like GENOCIDE!"

Ehh, I understand the anger in this instance. There's an active, ongoing scandal and the WWE is absolutely using this to bury that news; I can get keeping those two things together in your head.

I didn't think this needed to be said, but let's not poo poo on people over it or assign culpability for international conglomerates covering up sex crimes to people on a dying web forum laughing about Cody Rhodes, though.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i always found it weird how that narrative got twisted over the years when he was probably one of the most oppressive guys in WCW and was a huge part of the talent and viewer exodus at the time

The Big Damo rule of wrestlers is so universal in its application that people get real, real excited about anyone who says stuff that isn't actively the worst.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

brock lesnar will not be controllable in WWE2k24 he will instead be a guest party member like Red XIII in final fantasy 7 remake or general leo in Final Fantasy 6. please enjoy

I heard you can bring brock lesnar back to life by using an elixir on the place where they buried paul bearer alive

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Majinfoose posted:

Who gives a poo poo?

However gross the status of the WWE is, this kind of threadshitting posting still sucks, let's please stop doing it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

KungFu Grip posted:

Hero is a backstage guy i thought

He's been wrestling some here at West Coast Pro again and he still rules at it, so hopefully he could have another TV run in him.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I cannot believe I have to say this, but helldumping decades-old posts to mock WWE fans is incredibly lame and weird. Knock it the gently caress off.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MJeff posted:

If anything, this thread is far, far, far too gentle with the "what a show, I love Fartsie McShubba, Michael Hickenbottom is cookin'!" posters, who all know exactly what they're doing, as evidenced by the multiple times they've all been probed for poo poo-stirring.

There is one truth in this post, and it's the degree to which there should have been more probations to make clear what was and wasn't acceptable in this subforum.

Erin and I have been talking for weeks about the dogpiling, shitposting bullying in the WWE threads getting out of hand, but we've been reluctant to hit it because we like this community, we hate heavy-handed moderation, and working through problems communally is ideal. We're now in agreement that was a mistake, because they grew until we arrived at a point where this thread is loving unreadable and people are posting about how it is actually imperative to bully people who watch the WWE out of the forum as a communal good.

And this is just as much our fault, because we should have been probing people for being shitheads to people a long time ago, and we didn't. I apologize for our failure to do our jobs properly. Erin is on vacation away from buttons, and I have been modding all of this poo poo between running my fiancee in and out of hospitals, this post is already too long, and I am very, very tired, so rather than getting into the weeds, I'm just gonna be blunt.

The WWE loving sucks. It's a gross company. It deserves anger and scorn. Posting about the realities of the WWE being a bad company run by bad people is fine.

Yelling at people who watch the WWE is not. Bullying people off the forum because they like the WWE is not. Turning the WWE threads into unreadable messes of shitposting is not. If you have arrived at a point where you are unironically posting about the moral rectitude of running WWE watchers off of an internet forum and taking glee in their demise, I urge you to rethink your life.

This is a forum for people to watch and discuss wrestling and combat sports. People are allowed to watch and discuss wrestling and combat sports. The 'everyone is allowed to post about watching the WWE, no one's stopping them, they just have to deal with the consequences' argument was always specious at best and it has been proven pretty thoroughly wrong in practice.

If you don't want to see people talk about the WWE on this forum: Go to any loving other thread in the forum.

No more posting about posters. No more drowning the WWE thread in shitposts. No more being a loving dickhead to people because they like a company that sucks. Nothing positive is going to come out of any of this continuing. If this thread becomes the same four people talking to each other about the WWE they watched this week, at this point, that's actually preferable to the poo poo you fuckers have been posting every day, which has gotten so beyond the pale bad that mods and admins from other forums altogether have been wondering what the gently caress.

I have to be up at 6 AM to go back to the hospital. I am eating a sandwich and going to bed. I'll see you all in the feedback thread tomorrow afternoon regarding my being a bad mod.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Pylons posted:

Can I still post lovely NXT clips

you can post NXT clips, yes

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

delightful posted:

There already exists a rape company thread, so the few people who post here who watch WWE aren't wrong in wanting a space to talk about the things they are watching.

I don't think we need any more threads, it's already pretty clear to me: WWE thread and rape company thread. But the people who want to tell you who how much better than you they are don't want to talk in that thread, they want to post in this thread to tell you how awful you are for watching. Threadban yea ok and the other loving toxic losers and make them post in the thread designated for that specific chat.

Pre-emptive "how dare you call ME toxic? You're defending the rape company!!!!!" no im not. You're just loving awful. I hope every single loving person responsible for crimes is brought to justice, but until that happens, keep your poo poo to the thread its supposed to me in

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

We just went over posting about posters. We just did this. I don't care what side it's on. Knock it the gently caress off.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Majinfoose posted:

It's wild that they stretched it to two days and could probably just fit it on one but they need to shove so many ads in it and stupid backstage segments.
And yeah, there is so much good wrestling surrounding it and elsewhere I just don't see the point outside the spectacle

When they started doing the two-day thing they at least had the excuse of 'there are 14-16 matches and otherwise this would take twelve hours' but unless they come up with a bunch of random poo poo in the next ten days this is pretty silly.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Didn't Penders also try to sue Paramount for stealing his ideas for the movies? Or was that just another part of the posturing?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

DeepDickPizza posted:

Fair enough. Some of ‘em I can turn my brain off for. Forcing someone to grab you as you cartwheel past them ain’t there for me. Although, tbf I’d probably buy in more if a 5’3” Mexican man in a mask was doing it.

I think having irrational lines of stuff that bothers you is a key part of being a wrestling fan. Love the Canadian Destroyer, hate the C4.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

cody will win and he will become moderator of PSP and Coupon and Deals

If Cody wins and makes an account he can IK the hell thread.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I love that Ariel Helwani doesn't even have a role in this. It's not like he's needling Punk or pushing him into anything, he's just asking general questions and Punk is giving the worst possible answers because he is an incredibly unlikable human being.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

SpeakSlow posted:

Power Plant guy who ended-up with a standard "wrestling gay" character. Which wasn't really gay and more cringe.

It's somehow actually dumber than that. SNL had a really popular recurring character in the 90s named Mango whose whole schtick was being a sort of inverse gay panic stereotype joke, Vince Russo watched SNL and wanted to make a Mango ripoff, at one point SNL introduced the idea that Mango had a cousin named Kiwi, and thus, Angry Alan Funk became the original character do not sue:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Dr Kool-AIDS posted:

How many of you watch wrestling with significant others? My gf will tolerate WWE because she likes the pageantry of the entrances and thinks Cody and Roman and The Rock are handsome, but she mostly zones out during the matches, both because it's not really her thing and because she thinks it's too violent, so keeping it PG with the Fed is probably the only option.

One of the first things my fiancee and I did when we started dating was a competitive wrestling predictions league between the two of us. She's kind of gone in waves; watched the WWE as a teenager and through her twenties, fell off the WWE but got into NXT (we went to a couple NXT house shows in the earlier days, they were great times), fell off NXT but got real into AEW when it started, fell off it over all the Punk drama. She still drops in for an AEW show here and there these days (she was not missing Sting's retirement) but our spreadsheet is 8+ years old and we still do picks for all the cards we're not even remotely going to watch. There is a championship belt in the closet.