Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

fawning deference posted:

These are such interesting brackets though. Is there a predictions thread up yet?

I think the Islanders could potentially upset the Canes with Barzal back. I also think the Jets could Hellebuyck Vegas.

what's the word on Barzal anyway
Seems like whatever has hosed his leg up is probably still loving it up at least a little bit and he was just sitting out as long as he theoretically could

maybe gonna be one of those dope yourself up for the post-season and then get extensive surgery in the summer situations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Evan Rodrigues , 1st line winger.

Versus Jared McCann... 40 goal scorer?!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wheeler is also an unfathomably huge rear end in a top hat so... Burns or Pavelski I guess? Are they cool outside the rink?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

That’s a super good point and true, but every time it comes up on athletes and ethics, it’s a downward spiral because the majority of NHL hockey players have horrible opinions.

this is why it's best to have hockey players like Sid whose opinions top out at "gotta get out there and put some pucks on the net"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

That's back when he was just a comical crook business man.

and Messier looked like a comic-book crook business man

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1648719420783575042?s=20

Alright now we just need Schenn to come out for Liljegren and that looks like an ok lineup

that 4th line will never score a goal but I bet every coach in the league is envious of it

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Yeah chasing the Vezina trophy winning goalie twice and hanging 3 goals or more in 6 of the 7 games is definitely overblowing the Pens offensive output against the Rangers. The Pens scored more in 2 of their games combined than Carolina in their entire series.

Yeah, Crosby's line really had them hammered until something happened I don't recall what

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Cocaine Bear posted:

Lol, this ain't the loser thread and this ain't 2022

Tell that to the leafs

Heyooo

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

T-Bone posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamZHerman/status/1649223705325649926

obv so much of this is execution but Ruff has made bizarre panic lineup decisions and the Rangers look incredibly more prepared

Like I tend to think NHL fans blame coaching wayyyyyy too much but Ruff is not putting his team in the best position to succeed

Ruff was out of season a decade ago, it makes sense that a new era coach would completely eat his lunch now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Sometimes it's good to remember that NHL GMs are so bad that they drafted Mike Rupp twice and Martin St. Louis 0 times.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

https://twitter.com/renlavoietva/status/1650696850733776907

He's trying to tell them how cool it is to have a banner up at scotiabank.

You tell Mr. Bovine Joni I'll pay 40 million for the team

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Simplex posted:

The players seemed to know Landy wasn't coming back before the deadline. Even then it seemed the team position was that they were hoping for him to be back for the playoffs, so they really could have Kucherov'd him.

I honestly don't know what the gently caress the front office was thinking at the deadline, because the problems with this team were obvious in October. It boggles my mind that they did nothing to address them this season.

even seeing the holes, it would've been a bit of a tall order to replace a 2C, 1LW, and 1G with what was available and the space they had.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

So when he gets deported are they going to have to carry that cap hit for the next million years, or is the league going to create a new Nichushkin Island category

fakeedit: actually he's been in the US 8 years now so he might be a citizen by now?

I think most contracts have criminal/morality clauses that let you terminate them

like Mike Richards with the cocaine
or Ryan Malone with the cocaine

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Glambags posted:

We'll have to see if the rangers figure out Schmid next game (they wont). He's been solid no doubt but pretty small sample size. One cool thing is that if the rangers lose game 6 maybe they get booed off the ice at msg.

hot rookie goalie is basically a playoffs cheat code
there's no book on them
it's exactly what carried Murray to back to back cup wins

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

It doesn’t matter how this series ends because Ullmark’s spell faded and he’s a pumpkin again.

all the magic in the world isn't gonna keep a completely unhindered player from tapping in a goal at the net front

Defense abandonne

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Lindy Ruff is still good, I've been saying

I've heard people describing him as "fire"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Personally I can think of no bigger punishment to the rangers than being forced to have Trouba play out the duration of his contract (and probably giving him another entirely too big one at the end of it)

He's already actively a detriment at every facet of play, and he's only going to get slower and worse positionally to the point where he'll be too busy headhunting to make up for last shift's embarrassment to realize he's already been deked again

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

This poo poo doesn't happen to McDavid because McDavid actually protects himself. Crosby's dozen hotbrains are his own drat fault :colbert:

Crosby learned to protect himself eventually, by chopping off fingers

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

"We are all canucks" sounds like a threat at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHr0-dl7u94&t=71s

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

The best wrists in the world aren't going to make up for consistently sub .900 goaltending

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Escape Goat posted:

Can you please post a warning next time there's a giant banner picture of 1994 Messier

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

hey now
the leafs have come back from a 3-0 deficit before*

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

glynnenstein posted:

This is one of JFresh's dumb positions to hold. The NHL being bad at business is one of the things that contributes to the many lockouts that are incredibly impactful to the fan experience. Yes it's dumb that fans have to care about the business side of the sport, but the league has made it abundantly clear that they have no problem making their dollars and cents our problem.

not to mention their inability to market their sport leads to them doing stupid poo poo like the jersey ads and the animated boards (not that making more money elsewhere would stop them but, ostensibly, a league worried about image wouldn't be scrimping for that sort of petty cash compared to the allure of primetime coverage)

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I've run the numbers and I've concluded American Hero Phil Kessel needs a third cup

and it would be very funny for Jack Eichel to immediately win one after leaving buffalo so that too

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's a good thing the Stanley cup isn't for "most popular team"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

ThinkTank posted:

Finally the Canucks are in with a shot!

they better get at it quick before the oceans rise and swallow the city whole

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

shyduck posted:

You know how sometimes a company will buy out a competitor just to squash it? This has a similar feel

ESPN having a large chunk of the national broadcast rights means someone else doesn't

yeah their push is not for the broadcasting market anyway
they want everyone on that sweet direct recurring revenue stream ESPN+

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

If Carolina wins the Cup and fails to put puljujarvis name on it I will be quite upset.

I think they have to, he's played 7 playoff games already

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Bob’s play does deserve a Conn Smythe, but it almost has to be Tkachuk if the Cats go all the way.

That'd give him the same trophy case as Tim Thomas and Thomas isn't getting in anytime soon because he's a loving monster

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

you can see him pull up his stick as a wind-up before he falls forward, what a prick

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nocheez posted:

Jamie Benn has always been a garbage human being and I hope he never recovers from this.

there's a strong argument for him to be the first art ross winner to not make the hall, which is the sort of anomaly he has earned being

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It's just the answer to a trivia question at the end of the day.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

They're the better team, the more entertaining team

Give those boys the big metal bowl

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

i’m big time rooting for Vegas now because Eichel is a prime candidate for the Conn Smythe and I want to read Lessail’s (and like Steve Simmons’s) nuclear “Eichel is a more complete/better player than McDavid” posts.

it’s been too long since PAS got ubertilted by the “Is Jonathan Toews the best player in the world?” takes. i need more

Eichel's experimental surgery was too successful and it should clearly be banned

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A better message is probably winning a game but

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I bought that lessail av many moons ago

Should maybe buy him a new one

Congrats

Replace it with a happy Elvis

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Koopa Kid posted:

Seemed to me like some players were holding back a little when the Cup was being passed around due to injury, Chandler Stephenson barely lifted the thing and then skated back quickly with it down by his waist which I thought was notable

If he was playing through that series with one arm, my god, he looked remarkable

and :lol: at Washington for giving him away for a 5th

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Twin Cinema posted:

I will never write off a team again when their good goalie is out for the year and I am forced to learn the names of the trio of other goalies they will be using instead.

goalies are either vitally important or don't matter at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'd be a lot more suspicious if Stone had ever played a full season but that man is definitely made of glass