Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I haven't managed to get Silver Wolf yet, but almost every 10 pull I did gave me another Serval, taking me from e1 to e6 with her. Which is pretty cool since she's my favorite character on my team and I've been using her a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I find Natasha really boring to use because she's so straightforward. Just heal, or don't. Luocha is fun for me because you can maximize his use of his basic attack by keeping track of his automatic free skill use, his ultimate, and his flower stacks.

I'm a healer main in FFXIV and it weirdly kind of reminds me of what I enjoy about healing there-- sure if you're doing well you spend most of your time pressing one button, but you get to feel smart when you line things up and keep the party alive while dealing damage.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Mr. Fortitude posted:

He’s frankly ridiculous. The only case where I can see you use his skill is if someone has a debuff and you need to cleanse it ASAP, or you somehow have to heal someone below 50% HP after he’s already automatically healed someone else, though I’d argue you aren’t leveled or equipped right in that scenario.

Yeah I've manually used his skill when trying stuff I'm underleveled/undergeared for. I didn't start at launch and I'm totally f2p so the harder MoC stuff is out of my reach right now, but it's kind of fun to see how far I can push anyway. I agree it doesn't come up much otherwise.

It was wild how much further I could get once I pulled him.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Mulva posted:

You should spend a little money, if you feel like a game has developed good value for the time you put into it and you have a little money. Like get a battle pass if you filled it out or the 5 buck a month thing once or twice.

Don't whale, never whale.

Even though I've had fun with the game I still can't get over what terrible value for money gachas are compared to other games. I honestly think I'd stress out about using my resources if I knew I'd paid for some of them, like it would make the game less fun for me.

But people should spend money as they like as long as it's within their entertainment budget. Everyone finds value in different things.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Hahaha so I just imported my warp history out of curiosity. I had a feeling I have been kind of unlucky, though it hasn't really been a problem for me. This is worse than I thought though:

Maybe that's the real reason I'm inclined to spend all my money on Legos instead of gachas...

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Dracula Factory posted:

I do feel like it's pretty dang friendly to f2p at the expense of the super whales.

Yeah this is a big reason why I've actually stuck to this game. Despite starting late, playing fully f2p, and having comically bad luck (unluckier than 93.3% of users lol), I can still get characters thanks to the guarantee, and I can still complete all content except the back half of MoC.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I've enjoyed the story so far, but I also went in with no expectations since I haven't played any of their previous games. The setting is cool and that's what keeps me interested. That and Simulated Universe-- I love SU and if I'm bored sometimes I'll just run through it for no benefit whatsoever. I'm very pleased that another world got added.

I also have a lot of other games competing for my time right now. FFXIV even had an update at the same time as this, so that's where my focus has been. I appreciate that I can complete my daily tasks quickly and feel like I'm making a bit of progress with my team. The moment logging into a game starts feeling like a chore, I will drop it.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

big cummers ONLY posted:

Yeah the "only pulling on character banners is most efficient" advice is only true if you care about being able to pull limited characters. I like being able to do that, so I'm hoarding right now. If you don't give a poo poo about specific people and you just want to pull, fuckin do it up

It's also true if you only want to pull characters. The standard banner is 50/50 between characters and light cones. If you don't want specific people, but do want people, the limited character banner is still the better choice.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I think it will be a while before I worry about substats. I've just been using a purple or gold relic with a good mainstat and set bonus for everyone, leveled up to 12 or 15. I'd like to replace the purples eventually but honestly I'd sooner build up more characters than grind relic exp (with the occasional actually useful relic).

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I'm still enjoying the gameplay. I only autobattle calyxes, everything else is manual. The simple turn-based battles and the setting are what drew me in. I like thinking about what teams I could make and gradually improving my characters. I look forward to doing Simulated Universe every week, and would love to have an excuse to do it more than twice (I did it a whole bunch to completely fill out the indexes).

I think it helps that I can play on my phone for stuff like calyxes, or just to mess around when I need a break from work. Or I can play on my laptop/desktop when I want nicer graphics and a bigger screen for stuff with spectacle like story bosses.

I wonder if part of the reason I am not burning out yet is that I haven't finished MoC but also am able to progress further each week. Maybe people who started at launch and/or aren't f2p have started completing that or are hitting a wall, so there's no further progress to make? Still though, I really want to build up more than the 8 characters I am currently using, to try out other team compositions, so I think that will keep me occupied for a while. I'm trailblaze level 63 so I'm not quite to the last equilibrium level, yet.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Took a stab at MoC 9 and lost with just Svarog left with 4% health :negative:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I don't know about best, but my favorite is Nihility. I always try to get the weakness break related ones. Especially Hell is Other People, it's funny to stack a bunch of weakness break effects on all the enemies.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I've only gotten Ruan Mei once, but I got it well before some of the other index things. The event that took the longest for me was either Galactic Altruist or one of the Saleo endings, since those are multi-part. I finished blessings first, once I realized some of them had prerequisites. Next was events, and finally curios. I had to hunt forever to get the last negative curio I needed. I kept getting the wrong clocks, over and over.

I tried MoC 9 again, and got it this time. I figured I could do it because I got so close last time (Svarog had 4% health left when I lost, and Serval had died early). Here are my teams:

Serval is e6 and Pela is e5, which is lucky because I got all their eidolons after I had already decided to use them.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

After the monthly reset, I got my 5 tickets from the shop and did the last 10-pull I could scrape together for this banner, barring any events. No luck. But, I decided to just throw any jade I got into single pulls, because I was at 74 since my last 5*. I went around the new areas after I remembered I hadn't collected very many treasure chests, and got enough for a few more.

On the 4th pull I got Blade!

And then I leveled him up a bit. With one of the silver tickets you get for ascension, I got Clara!

I went back to that luck calculator site and... I'm actually even unluckier than before. Well, at least I feel lucky I guess! And I have good luck with the coin flips.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I beat MoC 10!

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I'm not planning to pull on Kafka's banner, since I already have e6 Serval. Sampo eidolons would be nice, but he's not built yet and I have a bit of a queue, between finishing Blade, and building Clara and my e5 Sushang.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, discussing things related to Welt's past is directly relevant to this game, though I agree that tangents about unrelated parts of HI3 shouldn't be here

Honestly, I'm not sure it is directly relevant. They may have some Easter eggs for HI3 fans, but I highly doubt they're going to expect most players to be familiar with his past or require it to understand his role in this game.

I mean I get being a lore nerd for stuff but some of these details are just not going to make sense without the context of actually playing the other game. I don't mind if people want to discuss it anyway but for me it's a lot of nonsense to skim through to get to the actual star rail posts.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

facepalmolive posted:

I really, really prioritize getting at least a 2nd tier of resonance, so blue nodes are an opportunity cost of not advancing further down your path (if you don't get a blessings option). Some of the curios really are juicy, though.

I don't think that blue nodes are worse for getting resonance. I always pick blue nodes when available, and of the 8 runs over the past two weeks that the app still has blessing data for, only 2 of those don't have two path resonances. And the reason for that is I chose to dip into other paths more instead of going all-in on my main one (if I see Hell is Other People and Night Beyond Pyre I will choose them every time even if I'm not doing Nihility). I still got plenty of blessings.

I had an average of 19 blessings per run, and an average of 13 in my path.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I liked the treasure hunting event and I full cleared every floor before going to the next one. I did just use bombs every time I had bombs, to get out of doing easy fights. I did the regular and deep version every day as they released.

The storyteller event got on my nerves a bit because of the running and pointless talking, even though the fights were neat. I'd rather click a grid than run around to places I've been before in the 3d world. And I like lore but it was one joke the whole time.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I got 30 stars in MoC for the first time! The buff was a lot more useful for me than the previous set. Also I've gotten a lot of upgrades from the double relic event.

I had to retry the last one a few times because Pela kept dying.

I mostly used these teams, occasionally swapping Pela and Silver Wolf. I also used Yanqing instead of Serval for some, depending on weaknesses.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I went through my relics and locked any of the right set/mainstat that could potentially be an upgrade for my current crew or characters who I'll be leveling soon. I recycled everything else.

I have kept 25 relics that are not currently equipped. This got me enough materials to synthesize 18 new relics, which I used for ones I didn't want to farm (like if I only needed one slot/set/main stat combo from the entire set of potential drops). It took a little while but should be very easy to maintain from now on.

I got 3 relics I was aiming for, and my inventory is so much nicer. Highly recommend.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Kanos posted:

I've never understood why people are obsessed with "true" mono(outside of the memes, I guess). The goal of a mono team is entirely to ensure Silver Wolf can plant the proper weakness in any enemy 100% of the time, but you can already 100% guarantee that with dual element teams quite easily and you open your team building composition options up enormously that way. Fu Xuan or Lynx are very useful for the gimmick because they cover your sustain slot so your last slot can be whatever the enemy is weak to without having to plan around your sustain's element, but I don't think there's actually any benefit to forcibly chaining yourself to pure mono.

I wouldn't want to use a team that doesn't mostly align with the enemy weaknesses anyway, just because its nice to break all the trash mobs with AOE to clear them out faster. I guess it lets you focus on fewer characters with your resources, but that's not something I'm interested in.

I think people are mostly interested in mono quantum because its fun to come up with gimmick teams, and because those particular characters are well-liked, not because it's actually a good idea mechanically.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I got quite a few new pieces because a lot of my gear was bad.

According to my achievement list I have now done caverns 40 times, and 21 of those would have been from this event. I had a lot of purples still in use. Now I'm down to 4 purples across my built characters, and 3 of those are planar ornaments. My upcoming Clara and Sushang still need upgrades, but they just need work generally.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I'm building up Clara right now and planning on using her with Lynx assuming I get her, Sushang, and Silver Wolf/Pela (I tend to switch those two between MoC teams pretty often depending on weaknesses). If I don't get Lynx I can use Natasha but I'd like the aggro increase.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Well, there's different effects each time, which can be more or less helpful depending on your teams.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I kind of get slacking on the relic farming, it's a lot less fun than building up more characters. I like to focus on character levels, light cone levels, and traces first, because you always get to see the numbers go up instead of relying on rng.

At this point though I've got a nice variety of characters for different enemy weaknesses, so I'm afraid it's time for me to farm more relics. I got 30 stars in MoC last set but I'm stuck at 28 right now because I'm having trouble with MoC 9. The dang pigs are not very helpful to me.

Here are my current characters:
A team: Luocha, Blade, Bronya, Silver Wolf/Pela (e5)
B team option 1: Natasha, Clara, Silver Wolf, Sushang (e6)
B team option 2: Fireblazer, Natasha, Pela (e5), Yanqing (I wish I had Gepard!!)
Extra Characters: Serval (e6)

I really like Serval but she just doesn't fit into my current teams very well. Whenever I use her as the main damage, AoE is of course great but single target takes forever. I need to build Tingyun and/or a Hunt buddy for her, I think.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Futaba Anzu posted:

there's like no synergy between sushang and serval
i would honestly just try to hyper carry clara with tingyun and march out of those options without knowing anything else about your situation

I was thinking Clara/March/Topaz/Tingyun would be fun, once Topaz is available. But I don't have very many tickets left, and I also want Lynx, so I'm not sure how that'll go.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Managed difficulty 4 on my first try, but it was very close. The destruction buff that splits damage between the party saved me on some of the single target hits but there's also just so much aoe damage that the entire team almost died a few times. If I hadn't upgraded that buff to take 15% less damage and upgraded the ones to increase max HP, I definitely would have lost.

Not even going to try difficulty 5 yet.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

It's nice having a long term goal that doesn't require stamina so I can just play whenever. Previously that had been filling out the SU index and achievements, but I finished that a while ago.

The new mechanics are pretty interesting too. I like how the way you progress across the board feels pretty different for the different paths. Like jumping ahead to take out trotters for the Hunt, or meandering through every blessed zone you get for the Abundance.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Leraika posted:

has anyone figured this out btw

One time I got a curio that gave me a blessing for the corresponding path when I chose those, called Triangular Drum-roll Device. But aside from that I don't know.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Kyrosiris posted:

Christ this is an annoying-rear end path.

That should be pretty easy to set up if you go Destruction, though.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Clarste posted:

I feel like all the damage-only paths are a lot weaker in the Swarm Disaster, because enemy damage and health scales so much that being a glass cannon just gets you killed while you helplessly scratch the enemy with your tiny 300k damage crits. Even healing to full every turn isn't really enough.

It's very easy to get a ton of blessings in Swarm Disaster, though, and you can dip into other paths for survivability.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

If they are broken they can't multiply in the turn after they recover, so it's really important to have someone who can do that. If you're offered the Hunt 3* blessing that advances you 100% after breaking, even better. I've had silver wolf start combat with them to get them partly broken, and then just smack one after another to break them all with that blessing.

Mostly I rely on Luocha since he has his AOE ultimate. I imagine Qingque would be good at it too, and would be worth building for this for anyone who doesn't already have an imaginary or quantum character in their team.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Ytlaya posted:

Wait, what do you mean "both dual resonances"?

My understanding (that is probably wrong) is that it works like this - you choose your path at the beginning of the run, and the first other path you get 3 blessings for grants you a dual resonance blessing. Do you get a second at 6 or something?

Each path has two options for Resonance Interplay. They require your normal Path Resonance (which is 3 of the path you chose) and 3 of a specific other path. You can get both interplays if you meet the requirements for both.

It does not work for any combination of paths, each path works with just 2 others. You can check what they are in the list of blessings before you start or during your run.

For example, Nihility has an interplay with Hunt and with Propagation. If you have 3 Nihility blessings you will get Path Resonance: Nihility that does the DoTs on the enemy. If you have 3 Hunt blessings you get Resonance Interplay: Off the Beaten Track and if you have 3 Propagation blessings you get Resonance Interplay: White Nights. It is also possible to get your normal resonance formations from getting 6, 10, and 14 Nihility blessings.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

The Abundance path buffs are what makes it powerful. With mercy, you're able to gather up a ridiculous number of blessings and curios. I also use Luocha and Blade on my team, so the outgoing healing boost for having a high count basically just means that whenever I do anything the entire party is back up to full health.

The resonance is less important, but it is handy to auto-apply whatever buffs you have from your abundance blessings and to cleanse debuffs.

I imagine it works better for some teams than others, like any of the paths, really.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Clarste posted:

Okay, I got all the defensive Abundance blessings (less damage at max HP, etc), spores from propagation, and a smattering of other stuff from taking as long and circuitous a route as possible, and Svarog was one-shotting people in his 3rd phase. Like, Svarog isn't even hard, my team is normally good against him. Abundance just gives you no survivability and no damage, I do insanely worse with it than every other path. At least if I had damage and no survivability I could hope to kill the enemies before they kill me.

I think it's just a matter of team composition. It probably feels bad if there's no synergy between its benefits and your crew, but when it works it's extremely effective. That might make it a bit more niche than some paths but it's certainly not bad.

I just tried difficulty 5 for the first time, and absolutely shredded the last boss without even coming close to having someone die. Here's my results:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Yeah it seems like the biggest advantage to Abundance is that you can simply visit so many more nodes (and without any real downside).

Luck plays a significant role. I probably only win like 1/4 (if that) of my Abundance runs in difficult IV, despite having a team that should be very well suited to it (Luocha specifically benefits far more than anyone else, since he's basically constantly feeding heals to everyone and procing the various Abundance blessings). It's very easy to get hosed over in some way, like just not coming across many relevant blessings.

I feel like the trail levels shouldn't be making a giant difference. Mine are at around 7 for most paths, and I think the net bonus from them is pretty low; like 10-20% to a bunch of stuff (plus some random goodies like "the first few fights have enemies with only 1% of their health").

I feel like luck is less important in Swarm Disaster with the sheer number of blessings and other stuff you get, because it smoothes out luck quite a bit. If you have a general idea of what build you're trying for, you can usually achieve it. It's a bad idea to try to go all-in on your chosen path, and it's a bad idea to spend all your money rerolling to get your resonance right away. Money feels more useful because you can buy specific blessings at the transaction nodes, instead of just getting random stuff. If you see a blessing that is useful, take it over a mediocre blessing of your path.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Ytlaya posted:

I would pretty frequently get jack poo poo of real value by the end of the first phase, and you're only going to get a grand total of like 15-20 blessings to choose from in the Screwllum shop, so the chances of coming across really important stuff there is low (especially when you account for needing to afford it).

You basically need to meet 2 main criteria by part-way through phase 2:
- Enough DPS to kill bugs*
- Enough survivability to handle the Elites and final boss in phase 2

* I had a very silly run where I was lucky with survival blessings but unlucky with damage, and I was fighting these bugs for over 30 minutes. I think they got at least 20-25 enrage buffs before they finally killed me. I would repeatedly come close to killing them, but they'd always manage to create adds before I could finish them off.

If you're losing 3/4 of the time with your most invested team on a suitable path, then I think that indicates that you either need more investment in your team or more trail buffs for that difficulty level.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Not So Fast posted:

Like most bosses, it'll give you a big warning the turn before, so save any Gepard ultimates / make sure Luocha has his field up then

I assume it does more damage the more juvenile stings are on the field, so try and take out a couple of them at that point.

Yeah it does more damage the more bugs there are, so you can either try to finish them off asap after the warning, or you can break the boss which will cancel it. In the last phase (when there's two of the big bugs) I tend to hit the original one a bunch to soften up its toughness bar, and if I'm close to breaking it before the warning comes I switch to the other big bug. Then when the warning appears I go back to break the original. I'm not 100% sure that the original one always does the move first between the two, but it seems like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

My team is Luocha/Blade/Bronya/Silver Wolf, so even if I don't get the first boss to make them wind weak, Silver Wolf implants wind every time. I also try to get the 3* hunt blessing to advance forward 100% after breaking. I line up the little guys with Luocha's ultimate (or if I'm lucky I get the second boss boost to make them come with lowered toughness), and Silver Wolf knocks them all down. That feeds her ultimate a bunch to use on the big bugs to chew through their toughness.