Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

How the gently caress do they have gig economy track workers? Surely you need actual loving training to work on a rail line?

I've been told it all tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Read that as "Go back to Britain"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

kecske posted:

Guto Bebb Malin Bogue is a star wars name

Malin is a common girls name in swedish. Malin from Saltkråkan is known to all here for instance, the hot mom character. And recipient of some of the worlds first dick pics by snail mail.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Microplastics posted:

:rip: if you're in Scotland

Those are some tiny midges, I thought they where larger. We got these larger annoying fuckers by the billions in Finland, their flight make this whining sound when they come near you. Nothing worse than one of those fuckers in your room at night.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Are you sure those aren't mosquitoes?

See to me they're neither. I call them "krankar" or "satans helvetes krankjävlar" and I thought it translated to midges.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I thought "krankar" meant those harmless idiot long-legged things that just can't find their way out

That's a "harakrank" here, or Harkrank in "high swedish". It's a dialectal word, the word even has it's own article here
https://www.sprakinstitutet.fi/sv/publikationer/sprakspalter/pa_tal_om_sprak_2015/myggor_och_krankar.24419.news

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Thought this was cool. I would've liked to have seen what the ripples looked like. This was the atmosphere that had been pushed up into the top of the sphere as high pressure water made it's way in and it's this air letting go that's the reason for the below reaction, if it had been water only it would have been far less violent.

https://www.pmel.noaa.gov/eoi/nemo1998/education/pressure.html

quote:

To test the windows the bathysphere, unoccupied was lowered to 3,000 feet. When the great steel ball was hauled up, Beebe wrote.

"It was apparent that something was very wrong, and as the bathysphere swung clear I saw a needle of water shooting across the face of the port window. Weighing much more than she should have, she came over the side and was lowered to the deck. Looking through one of the good windows I could see that she was almost full of water. There were curious ripples on the top of the water, and I knew that the space above was filled with air, but such air as no human being could tolerate for a moment.

Unceasingly the thin stream of water and air drove obliquely across the outer face of the quartz. I began to unscrew the giant wingbolt in the center of the door and after the first few turns, a strange high singing came forth, then a fine mist, steam -like in consistency, shot out, a needle of steam, then another and another. This warned me that I should have sensed when I looked through the window that the contents of the bathysphere were under terrific pressure.

I cleared the deck in front of the door of everyone, staff and crew. One motion picture camera was placed on the upper deck and a second one close to, but well to one side of the bathysphere. Carefully, little by little, two of us turned the brass handles, soaked with the spray, and I listened as the high, musical tone of impatient confined elements gradually descended the scale, a quarter tone or less at each slight turn. Realizing what might happen; we leaned back as far as possible from the line of fire.

Suddenly without the slightest warning, the bolt was torn from our hands and the mass of heavy metal shot across the deck like a shell from a gun. The trajectory was almost straight and the brass bolt hurtled into the steel winch thirty feet across the deck and sheared a half-inch notch gouged out by the harder metal. This was followed by a solid cylinder of water, which slackened after a while to a cataract, pouring out of the hole in the door, some air mingled with the water looking like hot steam. Instead of compressed air shooting through ice-cold water. If I had been in the way, I would have been decapitated.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

smellmycheese posted:

“Why our Xbox operated metal tube which we intend to take billionaires down to 4000m hasn’t been classed or assessed by reputable maritime agencies”.

From their own website lol

https://oceangate.com/news-and-media/blog/2019-0221-why-titan-is-not-classed.html

The free market handled this admiradly IMO

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Oh I think this must've been in the 50s or 60s and health and safety meant using asbestos filters on your cigarette

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Private Speech posted:

Funny how the US inflation is now around 4%.

Must be that americans don't play videogames.

Funny how biden turning on the money hose with the IRA didn't increase inflation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'd rather if they could Bend any of the other three elements, since humans aren't primarily composed out of Fire

It would be the most useful for me. I wouldn't need a forge or messing with propane or coke.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The Perfect Element posted:

God that odious little oval office endorsing the two child policy. He's as far away from a normal human being as it's possible to be. The idea of people like that being the future leadership of this country fills me with puke.

He looks like two kids in a suit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Diet Crack posted:

In fairness if you're paying circa £7500 for a trip to Greece, you should have travel insurance and ATOL baked into the package for that kind of money else what the gently caress are you doing

If you got that kinda money to spend on vacation you shouldn't expect sympathy IMO.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Just Another Lurker posted:

We turn into Newfoundland... i guess. :shrug:

Remains to be seen, there are scenarios in which the gulf stream stopping instead means more extreme summers and winters and more extreme weather patterns, rather than an overall cooling effect.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Same problem, the effort of cooking is a great way to keep from turning spherical.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

You could probably put like, some avocado and herbs in there if you want to. It's just slop with shredded fat in it.

I can't get a hold of real suet where I live without basically rendering it myself and I don't believe I get all real suet either when I have done so.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

^^^^
A well salted boiled potato, preferrably mealy, is damned good food. Just add butter and it's heavenly. But man you gotta salt the cook water a lot, most people simply don't dare add that much. I can recommend this sauce for potatoes: chives, some of the pot water, lots and lots of butter, black pepper. Cook it up, makes for a quite runny sauce so mealy taters work best.

OwlFancier posted:

Atora brand is basically standard in the UK, comes dried in boxes. I dunno if you could find somewhere to ship you a pile of them?

Maybe there's a UK webstore for finns and expats in finland, haven't looked that closely tho. I usually made like 5kg of beef tallow at a time, then I used it with frying oil, for making french fries taste better. It's a wonder I am not spherical already.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 27, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I guess, technically, my rural town of a thousand maybe, might almost qualify as a 15 minute "city". I got two grocery stores and two schools within 4 km or less and I can walk that in 15 minutes if I walk fast. Bicycle no prob to cover that in less than 15 min.

But I prefer to take my car, and most times I stop by on my way to work anyway which takes me right past it.

I gotta admit I really enjoy driving a car and the freedom it gives me. I actually got myself another car because I just enjoy driving it and working on it, my summer car. It all works fine as long as population density is low. I went to stockholm in July and driving there was a PITA, though not as terrible as I had thought.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

^^^^
God I hate SUVs to boot. loving hate them.

The Question IRL posted:

Okay, so I disagree with the idea that enough public transport will eliminate the need for private car use for many reasons. And I know that is not what is being advocated for here (I am not trying to straw man anyone here.)

But I do think people are failing to see that just with the one example (namely bringing kids to school.) that there are lots of cases that come up for why parents drive their kids to school.

First, is distance. Some people do live a large distance away from the school that public transport isn't really an option. (A situation where the school the child goes to is on the far side of town from where the family lives, because this is the better school.) Yes public transport helps here, as does more investment in all schools so we enroll our kids in the nearest school since they are all the best. But again, this is a bigger picture issue to sort out and requires more investment.

Second, age of children. When you have young kids (and that age is one that is different) you can't use public transport with them, or can't just leave them to use public transport.
And that's single kids. If there are multiple siblings, you basically reset the clock on when your child will decide to use public transport everytime you have another kid. (If you have an 8 year old and their 4 year old brother is being driven to school, the 8 will also probably want to be driven to school too "since it's only fair.")

Third, individual circumstances of the child.
Like I know that this gets written off about parents chauffeuring their kids to and from school as some irrational fear that they will be harmed on public transport and the risks of accidents while being driven is higher and so on. But there is a lot here. The children might have some medical condition, which means they can't use public transport.
The child (or parent) might have some sort of past trauma that means they can't or won't use public transport.

Fourth, kids are so disorganised. Trying to get one kid to leave for any place on time is a nightmare. Doing it with more than one becomes a worse proposition. And you can say "that's just a skill they need to learn in the real world" it's a process that really can take a long time to do. And very often if a parent needs a child somewhere by a time, they have to take charge and bring them somewhere.

Fifth, and I can't believe I have to put this one in writing, we all do know what the weather is like in this part of the world? Like consistent or awful rain is very, very common.

Like my overall point is, I think many people are just taking their personal situation and trying to apply it universally for other families.

Like you will get kids who want to use the bus by themselves or with friends to go to school, no matter the weather or distance.
But you also get other kids who can't or won't or it just isn't feasible.
And yes, improvements in public transport will help make it more feasible, you can't also go along with an associated "demonise families for driving their kids to school and being part of the problem."

The last part isn't helpful and comes across a bit of "I don't understand why you have to be so involved in your children's lives. I was a child once, and it was fine. And though I'm now only capable of remembering it back with an adults mindset, I assume all the same rules and my personal situations apply to everyone else."

And this is, like I said earlier, just in connection with the school run. There are many other transport situations that people deal with in day to day lives where "maor public transport" just won't solve it.

I agree in large part. Though I think the idea isn't to get rid of cars either but being able to use your car less. Like I said I own car(s) and I even enjoy cars and driving. But I would say 80% of my driving is for work and if there went a bus on my work hours, I would take it. But sadly nobody felt a regular bus route for a guy going from a town of 1k to an even smaller town further out into the countryside, would be profitable.

So barring that, I think the best way to get people to drive less, is for people to work fewer days of the week. So much of driving is because of work or in some way relates to work. One might also consider that a lot of commercial driving is in most ways serving the consumption oriented economy. Less work, less consumption, less driving.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also, make your kids start school later. 1st grade in Finland is age 7. That will reduce the amount of required driving for young kids and they will be big enough to hop into the school taxi or bus once it's time to start school.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The Question IRL posted:

This assumes that you can ride with your children on public transport, that they get off the bus to go to school and the public transport then takes you onto your work which is on the same route.
Or that you have enough time to get a different bus/train to get to work after overseeing your kid get to school.

Time is a huge factor with public transport. Even if the schedule was more frequent to allow you to get a bus or train when it was convenient, you still have to deal with the fact that if you are taking multiple buses or trains, it will probably take as long as a car journey even with crazy traffic.

And yes some kids are comfortable taking public transport on their own at very young ages. Some aren't. And for some, it's just not an option at all. (If the child has a disability, suffers from a trauma, the parent has a trauma that means they can't leave the child alone, other safety concerns.)

You guys keep talking about public transport like school children have to get on a regular bus with other people to get from and to school. Don't you have dedicated buses (or taxis / mini-busses) for that which only go from the parents home to school and back?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

domhal posted:

In some rural areas contracted mini bus owners do primary school runs.

Yeah that's how it is here where I live, mini-bus with school signs covering the taxi signs and takes my kids to school from home. But also larger runs with entire buses for larger schools. The bus will have a label where the route is saying it's a school bus.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

big scary monsters posted:

It's not really necessary that every last child is served by a school bus. Inevitably there will be some who can't use it for whatever reason. But the outliers The Question IRL talks about are not an argument against improving public transport and discouraging car use - if you take 90% of the school run cars off the road then you've done a lot to solve the problem and the roads become better for the 10% who absolutely have to drive their kids in as well.

You do really have to do the improving public transport bit though, and ideally do it before you start wielding the stick against drivers.

Unfortunately they pulled another bus line here to a small village, it was mainly a postal bus, but yeah even that got the axe.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I don't think any of those dotted places are liveable by my standards

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Jedit posted:

That would not be good for the environment. In addition to all the carbon, it might release toxic Tory particles into the atmosphere.

I saw a movie about zombies that ended like that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Crystal Thenis posted:

why should they not?

If I lived in Britain I would not stop until my immediate surroundings where Little Finland.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Don't leave now, it's just getting good

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

One rough derail isn't more than this thread should be able to handle imo

I mean it lives things up for a while.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Sure but only because the parliament shut down for summer vacation.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol. Oneupmanship over blackberries.

Aren't those raspberries? My parents tell me it's a crazy raspberry year, they have picked like 10 liters from the woods or more.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Using volumetric units for berries somehow seems even more perverse than using cups for flour and sugar.

The ampere is of course the correct SI unit to use for currants.

That's how we count berry harvests, we have plastic 10 liter buckets (standardized size) and talk in term of buckets,half a bucket, two buckets, bucket and a half. So I sad 10 liters for the uninitiated. Since we go around the woods with said buckets and filling them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

crispix posted:

we have bloody hogs trotters worth of berries here on shitnami island and that's the way we likes it, and 'angins as well :bahgawd:

Picked today, is it a hog worth?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Failed Imagineer posted:

I don't really know why they bother because drink-driving is still de facto legal down their neck of the woods anyway. And if you're part of the Healy-Rae dynasty you can run a combine harvester over a group of German backpackers in the middle of Kilgarvan and not lose a single vote

Hell that'd get my vote

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Scandinavian woods contain both wild blackberries and raspberries. Wild raspberries differ from cultivated raspberries in that the entire plant is annual and wilters in winter--cultivated raspberries have shoots that lose their leaves but survive and bear fruit next year. Since wild berries both grow and bear fruit in the same year, they ripen much later than cultivated ones. Blackberries are a different berry entirely

Your parents could have picked either berry, it's not possible to ascertain absent additional information

We aren't confused by what berries got picked, they where wild raspberries growing in the woods. Telling blackberries and raspberries apart is pretty easy.

Blackberries are black when ripe and raspberries are pinkish. Blackberries don't ripen here until september and then even barely, they usually don't manage it before night frost sets in, we got wild raspberries and blackberries growing around our here, wild raspberry bushes are ready in july/august. Blackberry bushes can get pretty tall in my experience too whereas raspberries tend to be lower.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Also, seeded watermelons taste better than seedless, same for grapes.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

TACD posted:

Yeah I thought London drivers were bad until I moved to California. My theory test was “go in that corner and complete this short multiple-choice questionnaire” and my practical examiner was reading a book during my test. I once encountered somebody reversing back down a freeway onramp.

I don't think it's possible for any human to be a good driver in urban conditions.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

forkboy84 posted:

Agreed, cars turn people into libertarians.

I like driving cars and working on one is a hobby I do atm.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nevermind, misread.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 11, 2023

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

So like, OT and not UK, but after 20 years, I finally arranged for an appointment at a shrink (or a nurse first). Not sure if I should've gone there or to a regular doctor. I had to go somewhere and I'm honestly not sure where to turn. Pretty sure I got ADHD and it's making my life bothersome. Would be nice to be able to maintain focus on something (by choice, sometimes I get hyper focused on stuff), also think I got some bipolar stuff going on. Highs and lows you know. Hoping to get some ADHD meds at least. The finnish health care system is being run down as well so who knows, but feels good to have finally stopped procrastinating. Having kids myself and seeing them getting adhd diagnoses helped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

My name is LUCA I live on the 2nd floor, of life