Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Just FYI, everything in the post is correct, but I botched the example at the very end. My mistake is now un-editable. I am eternally ashamed.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

mbt posted:

fcr is aids and i'm glad they didn't include it. it is the best stat by so much that it makes the other stats seem terrible by comparison. instead we have cdr, which is the same thing
instead of fhr we have crowd control duration, which no one rolls because it doesnt make the damage # go up

what I want is the removal of flat damage reduction, make res + phys matter, and give me another affix or two on rares

Fcr is in the game, it's just called increased attack speed and it's broken af for certain builds and completely useless for others, so really kinda fcr was in D2.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

You are limited to 6 skills. It doesn't matter if you have points in another skill.

Look at this non-sorc pleb :v:

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

WhiteHowler posted:

Same. There are SO MANY conditionals now, and I sort of miss the days of "adds +xxx or +x% damage".

Okay, with this new axe I lose +16% damage to crowd controlled enemies, but I gain +18% damage to vulnerable enemies. It's hard to quantify because I don't really know how often one status or the other is up (assuming my character has ways to inflict both statuses). So instead of becoming an interesting trade-off, I tend to flip a coin and pick one. It's not a great feeling.

Maybe that's what Blizzard wants, rather than a bunch of grognards mulling over spreadsheets to find the absolute "best" build, but I don't feel like this is any better.
This is true, but the way damage bonuses work it's kinda easy to figure out your specific example.

Vulnerable is it's own damage "bucket" meaning that if you get +18% damage to vulnerable enemies, then you deal 18% extra damage when you hit a vulnerable enemy. Crit works the same way (however you have to factor the chance to crit in the calculations. So if you have 50% chance to crit and you deal 100% crit damage, you deal +50% damage on average.

Vulnerable and crit are unique in this regard, because all* the other types of damage multipliers are instead in the same bucket and have severe diminishing return. *Technically there are aspect and ability bonuses that are also their own "bucket" and work like vulnerable; they are worded in specific ways and you should check maxroll if you want to know more https://maxroll.gg/d4/getting-started/damage-for-beginners (they also have other basic guides to explain how stuff like fortify or lucky hit work).

To make it simple, alway prioritize vulnerable and crit+crit DMG over other type of damage multipliers from regular item affix if you have the choice, unless you know what you are doing.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 12, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Unfortunately none of this info is in the game as far as I'm aware.
Yeah it's very badly explained. The tooltip is also lying to you most of the time, when it comes down to how much damage you are doing (because it doesn't account for conditional bonuses of course). There are also tooltips that are flat out confusing, like Hydra having 60%+ lucky hit on its tooltip but being unable to proc Frost Nova enchantment to save its life.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Gadzuko posted:

Yes that's what the post you quoted is explaining. Fortify doesn't do anything until it exceeds your health, which makes you "fortified" and puts the armor border around your health bar. You don't need a full fortify bar, just more than your current health.
Also note that, while basic fortify only gives you 10% DR, any other "% damage reduced by fortified" stack, so you can easily get a very noticeable amount of DR just with sapphires. It's especially important when pushing high T4 (cause % DR scales way better than extra life as a socket bonus when the enemies are hitting for 5+ digits unreduced damage).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Well I finally finished the story as a CL sorc at level 50. Moving to WT3 and I was just getting stomped. Respecced to arc lash but didn't have much success. Respecced to ice shard and feeling a lot better now, particularly with mobs, but single elites still give me a hard time as I just end up kiting forever waiting for cool down on frost nova and for my mana to regen. Currently running with no basic skill. And tips for an early end game sorc? I've read some guides but few seem to address this particular issue which I can see becoming a problem with bosses.

Or is the answer just to keep leveling against mobs until I find good enough gear to easily take on dungeons and bosses? I had to drop down to wt2 to get the aspect that makes ice shards pierce. I put that on my amulet for 5x pierce and feel a good deal better against larger mobs.

Run the Ice Shard spec that makes enemies vulnerable instead of the barrier count as frozen one; and either use ice bolt enchant or the 3% LH freeze passive. That way you can keep the damage up consistently as long as you line up enemies (put the "Ice Shards pierces X times" aspect on your amulet for extra pierce and damage) and everything aside from bosses should be dead before you run out of mana even single target.

When you fight an elite pack line them up and concentrate your Ice Shards on the elite, pop ice nova after you have froze it once with your other effecs. Beign frozen, it'll spread damage around to the rest of the pack.

Since you are in T3, go to helltides, leech currency if needed to and open either mystery or weapon chests. You'll get a +150dps weapon compared to your previous one and then you can start farming helltides on your own.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Pylons posted:

What are people doing for leveling alts? I'm running whispers but it's kinda monotonous. I think I might remake this class and not skip the campaign this time.
I'm in your same situation and I'm trying to keep things interesting by leveling in the PvP areas. The monster density is very high (especially elites), there are 3 event locations, you can use the seeds to gamble for equip (same as obols), there may be whispers in there as well. If there are gankers around you can log out and back in when in town to swap to a different instance.

It's still boring mind you, but a bit less considering the potential of PvP.

Twinking is a bit more difficult compared to D2 because a) the items in your stash are more likely than not high level and b) a lot of items/aspects/affixes are class specific. Like +mana doesn't convert to +spirit
, for example.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 13, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Speaking of weird overworld stuff, what's with the statues with a small circle in front? If you stay in the circle, you get a debuff that says something like "you are being watched". Emote stuff or something more interesting?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Astryl posted:

The question is where do you find the Tome and the Leg as drops? And where is the secret cellar?
Season 1, probably.

Speaking of, it's kinda lame that they have clearly kept most of the aspects as a seasonal thing (ala D3, IE: this season you can try out this build cause there is going to be a new aspect that buffs this skill or class feature). When you look at it, the list of aspects that any single class can use are very limited, to the point that you can probably have access to every single non-unique aspect for a specific character by the time you are 50 if you level up on activities that provide obols instead of doing the campaign.

Since almost every class/build is going to want the same exact stats per item slot, this kinda leaves you at the D3 Launch loot situation - minimal upgrades by getting the same affixes on rares with slightly better stats, with the "longevity" in this artificially inflated by the vast amount of totally rubbish affixes, especially on jewelry.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 13, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

Twice for me it was a unique item, and I appreciated the help. I want to complain about the lack of color coding for items (it would be nice for Sacred and Ancestral to have their own colors or different tint) but uniques are real easy to miss because they're near-white. I think cosmetics are blue, also easy to ignore.
I dropped an horse armor on a level 4 alt and the name was the same colour as uniques. What's super easy to miss for me are audio logs, since they are blue (exact same colour as the basically useless magic items).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There's different rarities of horse armor. I've found unique and white/normal barding.
Good to know that the only non story related unique I got so far was a horse armor then :v:

At least it's a cool brigandine looking thing.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Dameius posted:

People want D3 rifts The Pit, even if they don't realize it.

Jokes aside, the PvP zone is probably going to see a lot more people in it when it becomes the only area in the game with that level of density outside of a Helltide.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

boredsatellite posted:

Did you not do Baal runs back in the days? Were you also going "ehhh running one dungeon is such a gamer brain" back then?
I think the main differences between Baalruns and the current state of NDs are:
  • Social: You could easily group up to max players to run those without any need of clans/lfg. Even if you have friends/goons to do this, they have to be around and willing to do the same stuff as you when you are up to it.
  • XP Reward: The xp rewards was ridiculous when leveling. You could run those for 2h and have a character go from "barely beaten the Hell Ancients" to "basically max level for any intent and purpose". Xp rewards are linear. Although you could technically get powerleveled, the advantage for the runner is minimal compared to D2, so it's less likely that you'll find a rando online willing to run this for you.
  • Time: It took maybe 5 minutes to run a full run from game creation to finish. In the two minutes or so between game creation and waves, you could keep the pace up by running Pindle, Shenk, Uberchests or any other fire and forget activity. NDs are very up and down intensity. Most of the time you have to do some gimmick that doesn't reward you directly with xp/loot instead of killing monsters.
  • Regular Loot: Any single monster in the Throne could drop something nice, given their level. You could get a High Rune off a trash mob, a nice base, socketed or eth item. You could get a nice rare or a unique/legendary from trash maybe? But anything below rare is useless, so killing trash is mostly a waste of time.
  • Boss Loot: it's not a mystery for anyone that killing any elite (and Baal, in the rare cases where you would not just go to next game after the waves) had a much higher "loot pinata" factor in D2 compared to here. You kill the boss and maybe you get a legendary/unique. The main reward is grinding guaranteed but smaller power increases in the form of Sigil/Glyph progression

I think Helltides mystery chests scratch that D2 loot pinata itch much more than NDs, at least until you realize that you have already seen all the possible aspects for your class outside of uniques after 10 runs or so :v:

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Jun 14, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Arc lash build sounds stupid on paper but once its built and you have a ton of attack speed you’re basically whipping things at light speed while everything around you explodes
The stupid thing is that, in a class with a ton of half dead core and mastery skills, the devs made a basic skill:
  • deal core-level damage
  • as an AoE (melee should be a penalty, except most sorc builds are melee)
  • having a double cooldown reduction synergy (in a class that is all about CDs)
  • having a cumulative value on crits (which is already one of the strongest dmg multiplier)
  • inflict stun
  • being able to proc the strongest ulti in the class.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

My alt leveling story:

I tried two, a Druid and a Barb, both skipping the campaign. I've ran whispers, then PvP zone density for the first 25-30 levels and that was quite boring. I've abandoned the druid around lvl40 cause even at T1 a pure caster wasn't super fun (the "alternate earth and storm" spec is interesting on paper, but quite underwhelming) but I've brought the Barb up to T3/lvl 54.

I found much more fun collecting all the map zones/altars (with a map), while doing every single event I ran into - Obols are the way to gather aspects for sure. I got into T3 at 46, leeched an Helltide sacred weapon for +500dps on my previous 2h, ran whispers until 48, then switched to strongholds (enemies are lvl 50 so they can drop Sacred gear then, plus you get to reach Renown 3 everywhere with just those+map/altars).

Still running Deathblow/Rend as a spec, with a ton of Vulnerable damage to oneshot anything non elite and using DB as a Fury generator, it's quite satisfying (but you need the aspect that grants a second charge or it can be quite frustrating.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Jun 17, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Rosalind posted:

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong with my ice sorc build? I'm following the guide here: https://maxroll.gg/d4/build-guides/ice-shards-sorcerer-leveling-guide

I'm level 38 and I've followed it to the letter including getting the legendary aspect Prodigy's but I'm still always running out of mana now that I gave up arc lash.

I'm not sure why every leveling ice shard guide goes for the "if you have a barrier, Ice shards counts enemy as frozen" instead of "Ice shards makes enemies vulnerable". Get some lucky hit on your equip, the passive that gives you 15mana on dealing cold damage to vulnerable enemies plus avalanche and you'll never* run out of mana when you fight a group. Your ice shards deal 1/4 less damage and bounces 60% less but you have so much more sustain, especially with bosses (and you can kill trash mobs with the fireball splash/lining them up and piercing with a single cast so that's a non issue). This makes frost nova just another tool (a power spike for elites) instead of making your character useless when it's not up, since your main attack is also enabling your resource generation.

Grab the passive that frozes enemies with frost skills or ice bolt enchant and aim for elites, you'll freeze them in 2-3 casts and then you'll kill everything else with splash. Also make sure your "ice shards pierces" aspect is on an amulet for more pierce/more damage.When you have enough CDR, mana cost reduction and uniques/legendaries you can swap to the default build.

This is an issue I have with a lot of guides, they give for granted that while leveling you'll have a power spike, then flail around for 5s+ doing nothing. It may be the most efficient way, bit it's annoying as hell to play.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 18, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I've finished the T3 capstone dungeon as a lvl58 Rend Barbarian with a lvl61 Deathtrap Rogue buddy. Had a 900 armor potion on me for the fight, it took us 3 attempts to figure out Elias's attack patterns. The first time we died to mass succubi summon, then we died once again to his homing firebolts. Once you realize that they fan up behind him before he shoots them you can circle strafe to avoid them; I could tank everything else without too many issues and his mass hellhound summon was a blessing in disguise to reset my WotB CD with Stomp.

We got him down during the second stagger window, fight took about 1 min maybe.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Xenthalon posted:

I think I'm done with the game for now and will wait until season starts. I'm level 70 and can do NM dungeons in the 21-25 range well enough, I can see where the grind goes, but don't really see the point. It's a well made game, but I kinda want to play it 1-2 years down the line when the edges are smoothed out and itemization is better.
Same, although I'm only 61. I unintentionally broke the game progression by dropping a ilvl 795 before upgrades 2h legendary two handed hammer that rolled vulnerable dmg, crit dmg and two other damage types without any reroll and I've realised that from there on it's going to be slow but reliable increments in survivability and damage through paragon/Glyph and by replacing all my sacred gear with the exact same copy, but ancestral. I don't really find that very appealing, especially since I just swapped from regular to sacred 10 levels ago and unlocking the new difficulty doesn't really allow me new build possibilities now that I have enough CDR and resource generation to run my build with no downtime using sacred gear.

The uniques could be a good way to add variety and satisfy the drop lizard brain if they were fun or enabled new gameplay possibilities, but there are too few and they are too rare to keep me grinding until they become more commonplace.

I think I'll switch back to my T3, lvl51 Sorc and see how the hand-me-down system works for a character.that is not starting from scratch, but I'll probably get bored around the same point and wait for S1 to roll a Necro or Rogue.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 21, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Fear and Hunger is an experience to be sure but it's pushed very far to the side of exploration, note keeping, preparation and cruel RNG. You can't level up to stat boost past power curves, for example. It's fascinating but also has giant pecker guards that rape you to death.
Yeah, discutible content aside, I don't think this is a game for someone who enjoyed old school Rogue or modern Diablo. It shares more DNA with misery simulators like Pathologic than those games, imo.

Super Eyepatch Wolf has a good video on it that goes over the entire game, including most of the secrets and story, if you want to get the good without suffering:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRIkWHo1SJY

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

I don't wanna go back to III seasons because the progression was both dull and shallow. Only thing making it worth it was pushing but when your power curve is pretty much determined in advance it's kinda lame.

They could give a series of high rolled aspects as reward though and that would be cool. Better yet give players a choice at each tier between a few and now we are cooking with gas.
I have to say I have found D4 itemization to be more interesting than D3 because it has at least some component of the stat Tetris you would do in 2. In D2 you had certain targets that you had to achieve for your build to be effective (faster cast rate%, faster hit recovery%, 75% resistances, cannot be frozen, etc) plus as much +skill levels (or AR/dmg for physical) and Magic Find %, but the way to achieve that was not automatically fixed - you could drop a unique, a good rare or an high rune that enabled you to move things around and get a better setup.

D4 does something similar - you need cdr, resource cost reduction, good damage and damage reduction stats Nd skill ranks, etc, but you also play the aspect Tetris. I just wish the progression was a bit more varied in WT4, cause you are mostly going to replace the same piece with one with higher rolled stats after a while cause aspects stay the same all game long and build defining uniques are very few.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Philthy posted:

Am I reading this wrong, because D3 had all of this. You moved stats around as you wanted, but you could also use white blue and yellows as bases to change into legendaries as well, giving you even more options. D3 was far easier for customizing equipment than in D4 I'm finding.
What I mean is that, if I drop an Aspect or a Unique that sounds like fun, I can probably slot it in (while most likely losing dps if it's offensive cause most likely it doesn't have optimized stats, but still).

In D3 I always felt like I had to run certain specific sets/legendaries because of the massive synergies; so maybe I had the choice between a few, but that was it - If I slot in the sword that summons a giant Demon with linked chains, it will do 1/1000 of the damage of my main attack because it doesn't have the synergy bonus. It won't benefit from my build defining aspect(s), but I would probably be able to run it as a secondary source of damage in D4 since it would benefit from the more generic damage boost that are common at the moment;

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 22, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Away all Goats posted:

Loving the legendaries in this.

Found a 2 handed mace for my Druid that causes Trample to summon 6 landslides. THEN I found a ring that causes every landslide to trigger twice. And they stack.

Every fight is just charging into the biggest concentration of enemies as a giant bear while the ground literally slams into them 12 times. If they're still alive I petrify them and use the regular landslide, which also hits twice.

I think this is the way to go imo. If your items start having bonuses like "landslide deal +5000% damage", then it becomes mandatory if you want to play landslide. I'd rather have to chose between multiple sidegrades, even if one may be slightly better than the other.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i just dont get it at all this zero to sixty difficulty curve. zero problems doing anything for seventy levels and oh, sorry, the last hurdle one shots you. its bad.
I think this is a victim of the end game itemization in general; damage reduction seems to be very much hosed at the moment, with resistances being completely useless (so good luck if you don't know that) and certain classes having exclusive access to certain mechanics that seem to be much more effective than others.

I could tank the WT3 capstone boss as a level 58 Barb because stacking DR on Fortify + Armor means you are basically unkillable - the only attack that killed me was the multihit 5 seeking projectiles if they all hit. It would probably take me way more attempts (and a bullethell 1hit-1kill approach) if I tried to do that as a lvl 58 Sorc, given similar level of equipment.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

That's the entire reason the non-set gem exists in D3. Literally "So long as you don't have on a set, every legendary gives you a blanket % damage buff and reduced damage taken." Run that, and you can put together whatever combo you think looks cool and have it be pretty much fine. Or better than fine, one of the very top necro builds in the last season used a pile of random legendaries instead of a set. Not being able to mix and match sets and random gear is a drawback, sure, but it absolutely existed, and it's kinda a head scratcher that for all the people pooping on D3 for "I have no build choice only set items allowed" this never enters in to the conversation.
Yeah I've built some of those, but at the end of the day you end up stacking numerical buffs to a specific attack in the thousands, so you can't really run another attack as a contender. IE: when I ran something like https://maxroll.gg/d3/guides/lod-twister-wizard-guide, your damage from Twister is going to be several thousands times the damage of another skill. So in my previous example, Twister hits for 1mil/s and the chains from the Demon hit from 10k.

I can run Meteor enchantment with a minimal investment in D4 and have it provide utility (cc, burning enabler and damage) with 1-3 points invested in the build and maybe a single slot. It's not going to be as effective as a build that is laser focused on synergies, but the difference in damage is going to be 10% instead of 500%.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 22, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

This is something I'm not sure I like about the current itemization - I got this fresh off of WT4:

Right now, "Level Required" and "Item Power" seem to (mostly) be disconnected: if you are lvl100, your items will require lvl100 to use, if you are lvl60, they will require lvl60 to use. Item Power is not tied to this though; fighting higher level monsters will make the floor for the Item Power higher, but you can still luck out early on and be basically done with the "fun" part of itemization because of that. EDIT2: this also means that the best character to "magic find" on (to trade and for alts) is a level 60 character, parked at the obol vendor. That way you can roll Ancestral with the minimum equip level and still get very high Item Power.

Yes, I won't be able to push very high NDs right now because I lack the survivability I would get by being higher level and having Ancestral level armor/rolls on my defensive slot; and sure, the Vulnerability damage roll is low and I would have to reroll Stun dmg until i get Crit Damage instead, but I've already finished the "fun" part of the loot hunt (weapon + aspects).

I will eventually roll something that is Item Power 800+ and replace this, but the upgrade is going to be marginal and all because I lucked out. This is interesting, cause I have always been a proponent of the D2 style "high roller slot machine" approach to loot, but I think it clashes a bit with the more slow and steady pacing of progress that D4 has.

EDIT: at least HEMAN, Apprentice Sovereign is fun to look at. The beta barding is the correct pattern/color for Battlecat as well. I'm just glad there isn't a giant green tiger horse skin in the shop.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 23, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Mikojan posted:

I'm guessing all damage on the paragon tree is additive apart from the [x] unique nodes and the damage to vulnerable dmg
And crit damage.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

big cummers ONLY posted:

I love that Diablo's real name is Alfred Diabolos
Wyrd Al Djabolic.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

soscannonballs posted:

that aspect is actually terrible it only increases your base essence regen which is 3, so a max roll will take you from 3 > 4 per second which is worthless. Even a min roll Umbral from the codex will give you way more essence. The exposed flesh aspect might take you a while to get, but you can just use any random dps aspect and it will probably be better than the essence regen one
Yeah this seems to be true for Sorc as well. I had previously specced hard into mana regen, with 30% on burning enemy kills and 20% on ice armor, but it feels like the base value is so low that a % increase is almost meaningless. If you have enough CDR you are never going to be oom due to Prodigy and if you don't the mana regen won't make a difference.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

American McGay posted:

Drop only I think. This is what it’s called.

Does anyone know if the listed damage for this kind of aspects (both fixed/orange and scaling/blue) is multiplied the same way as your weapon damage does? Cause I always assumed these were useless like in D3, but if they go through the regular damage bucket multipliers they may be worth an extra cast of a core skill or so, depending on the aspect.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I guess if you stack big rolls on the other defensive slots you could get more EHP by using Temerity, but a spreadsheet would be necessary A) to see how much % damage reduction you can stack on helm/armor + paragon boards and B) to figure out at what point the tradeoff becomes effective.

E: protecting Fortify is relevant to the calculations though.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

To be fair, that thug has mugged enough people to get to level 72. A lvl 100 Slicer can probably take down Andariel.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Looks like for sorcerer they buffed the lesser used attacks without touching the others. Frozen orb I'd say would be pretty usable, I used it for awhile while leveling when I got the frozen orb explodes two extra times aspect early on but it's problem is it passes through enemies so is extremely finicky to use. It's especially bad for bosses that like to get up in your face. It'd work better if it just started exploding on the first thing it hit. The enchantment version works like that and I use it with the ice shards build I'm using.

Yeah I've used the enchantment version with the aspect that makes it stay and place and explode twice more when I dropped a good DPS staff while leveling, it was ok (with the +100% effect from a 2hander the explosion was 60%) especially cause it was homing on the enemy and stopping/exploding where they were standing. I wonder if it could be slotted in instead of meteor, although losing the extra [x]25% damage on immobilized would be bad. I was definitely freezing more though, I may give it another go.

I am trying to find a way to have a semireliable and spammable freeze outside of Nova, Aspect of Shared Misery works even with the LH% freeze on cold damage and I'm already using Blizzard as secondary...I'll give it a go and see how much it freezes.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 27, 2023

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

unattended spaghetti posted:

It's just an issue of rhythm imho. Builders are fine in theory but they shouldn't feel punitive and when a core or bigger skills can delete things in a couple casts it makes it feel like you're missing out on your actual power level. Solvable by either tweaking up the damage more or increasing the resource generation more so that you don't have such pronounced lengths of downtime between damage bursts. I don't think it's bad as a mechanic but it needs to feel like a smooth transition rather than a stop start kinda thing. That, or they could just go back to how it was in D3 where most builds could just drop them altogether. But I think that would be a waste because the melee builders especially could feel pretty good and chunky if you didn't have to repeat them for so long. The animations and impact are at odds with the low damage.
If I was able to cast a Basic Skill whenever I try to cast a core but I'm lacking mana, without having to sacrifice one of my slots for it (akin to D2 autoattack) it would be ok. Right now it's better to do nothing for a few seconds when you are out of juice than to nerf yourself by having a dead skill on your bar any time you are not out of resources.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Diephoon posted:

Steel Grasp fix was not documented, feels great with Ancient's Oath now that it actually works!

https://i.imgur.com/j8lK86c.mp4

Doea it pull everything right now? I may slot this in for Ground Stomp in my Rend build if that's the case.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Hell Yeah posted:

i am really tired of having all 3 shouts + berserk on my ww barb. really want to take one shout off an have a fourth skill but i can't choose. i have been considering the chains thing since i read that is significantly better after being patched, but the more i think about it, it's not that useful to the build.

ones i'm thinking about : jump, kick, chains, iron skin. does anyone have an opinion on this? top priorities on the build are shout cooldown reduction and fury generation. damage is great and survivability is acceptable at lvl 66 in wt4. honestly i have almost 100% uptime on shouts with the glyph and chieftain aspect.

i could use more fury only because i am using the capstone skill that makes core skills cost twice as much for double damage.

I have been running 3 shouts, Rend, Steel Grasp and Stomp with the Paragon boards that gives you fixed 10% on kill tog get 1s cooldown reduction on non ulti skills. It's good, especially if you go hard on the bleed>stun synergies. I've only been using it since Steel Grasp's fix though I can run tier 25 Nightmare Dungeons on a lvl62 character without too much risk (even if I have to drink a ton of pots agains bs poison stacking enemies like in Blind Burrows).

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

I dislike the fact that Steel Grasp will place some mobs behind you if you pull a lot of them. I can't hit them all with Rend and sometimes I get boxed in because they are pulled all around me. Ground Stomp does work well in those cases, but I have to keep it around to be safe.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

ninjoatse.cx posted:

This lag loving sucks donkey dick.

Every 4-5 second there's a 1-2 second pause when peak hours in PST hit. I just finished ACT and its was about anti-climactic as you could get with it playing like It was Dark Age of Camelot in loving 2001.
Ahah I thought the same, the way you could anticipate running into a buttload of enemies around the corner was anticipated by a massive swap-fest. It's the same here, except the buttload of other players you are running into is, like, 4.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

Cant find it, but i did save it as .txt

Hey that's my post! It is linked in the OP as "getting big damage". Please note that the math in the example at the end is wrong, but the idea behind it is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

flashman posted:

I plan on getting around it with freeze and just walking away once I can get a glimpse of what's there but it makes a range build much harder for no reason. The mobs engage from off screen lol
I want to get the same level of zoom a Corpse Bow uses.

Jokes aside, it's funny that the correct level of zoom is already in the game (mounted zoom is perfectly serviceable) but you can't switch to it while on foot. Even if my barbarian is faster than my horse.