Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Unironically.

There are megathreads in SH/SC that act as a wealth of information, and when they get updated even once every other year, it acts as an outstanding starting point and data archive, but also provides a ledger of discussion history and an entry point for new posts. Forums are actually *extremely* good at solving this problem and it's insane that they are all but extinct.

I think stackoverflow and related subtopic stacks have a pretty good model at least for the "question and answer" and "I have a common problem" thing. They sometimes have difficulty staying up-to-date, areas of discussion are relatively narrow, and the moderation tends to cull things that are opinion-based, but overall I think it's a pretty effective and invaluable service for what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

skooma512 posted:

I’ve been really liking jellyfin, even over Emby, the thing it forked from.

That Plex also streams stuff and has a subscription sketches me out. I’m doing this to get out of dealing with that poo poo, you stream the media I stick on the drive, that’s it.

Plex has a 24 hour Dr Who channel so who is to say if it's bad or not.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Authy is ditching their 2FA desktop apps and will only be available on mobile devices, which sucks because it was a reasonable cross platform solution.

While they announced this would happen in August a little bit ago, they just decided to say "gently caress you" to everyone and accelerated dropping it to next month.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

I'm going to reserve judgement on Firefox until I see it. They do bundle lots of awful poo poo, hostile default settings, and ads already but they're usually very good about being able to turn off things you don't want. Even usually without having to resort to twiddling about:config settings. Losing that will be the actual tipping point for me.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Woolie Wool posted:

It's the websites themselves more than the browser, nobody writes HTML anymore, they just deploy huge stacks of middleware and that's even before the ads

:wrong: everything is ads

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Atopian posted:

Firefox android has the previously mentioned inexplicably psychopathic tab handling behaviour thing. Fortunately they've opened the Android one up to many more extensions so hopefully someone does what the UI team wouldn't or couldn't.

:hai:

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I hate when sites have a static menu bar that literally takes up 1/3th of my screen. I have no idea who the gently caress started doing that but jesus christ I can't do it.

Lots of sites have gotten lovely if you have things too narrow because 98.4% of people just browse poo poo on phones an ipads and that's the responsive mobile design.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

AI has now ruined my marriage. My wife has apparently developed a chatbot that responds as a cat would and is now communicating what the cats are thinking to me via this model.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

wash bucket posted:

Folks are more afraid of the cops and their health insurance than they are of dying from surgery.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

I just discovered Projectivy as a replacement launcher for my Android TV-type devices (like chromecast or built into the TV) and I feel stupid for not doing this years ago. Wow.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Time_pants posted:

My boss is a true AI believer. He keeps trying to get me to get a ChatGPT subscription (which I wouldn't be reimbursed for) to do my job for me. He demonstrated the incredible capabilities of ChatGPT 4 by calling me into his office to show me how great it was at writing code. And, yeah, after letting the codebot have a few mulligans and some edits and debugging, it worked.

So, yeah, I'm not getting a subscription to ChatGPT.

sounds like AI could probably better replace your boss

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

pretty sure we had a subforum for operating system flamewar containment somewhere

credburn posted:

Chat-GPT replaced it's "delete this chat" button with the "archive" button, and you have to go through a different menu to actually delete the chat :mad:

It takes TWICE AS MANY CLICKS (2 now) TO DELETE THE loving CHAT!!!!

\/\/

That happens to me, but it's only because I have an external non-solid-hard drive connected that takes a moment to spin up, and once it does it resets the thing. Could that be your problem...? I don't have the issue when it's just my SDD by itself.

A few months back OpenAI inexplicably "broke" the "do not save my chats" feature for many people. Between that and this I'm convinced they are doing anything they can to get training data they arguably can use and they, in fact, can go gently caress themselves. I hope they end up sued to oblivion and Sam Altman in jail

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

Wait, did people not think that every single keystroke of input and bit of output wasn't being meticulously recorded and mined forever?

They explicitly said they didn't (until they broke it and you really couldn't) and they also say explicitly they do not use this for the API.

https://help.openai.com/en/articles/7730893-data-controls-faq

quote:

We don’t use content from our business offerings such as ChatGPT Team, ChatGPT Enterprise, and our API Platform to train our models.

I imagine doing this on the business-type end would be truly a legal nightmare for them.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

euphronius posted:

The only thing that really bothers me about windows is it’s insistence on using share point after using normal files for 40 years

And hiding things on right click context menus

and the unfettered ability for garbage apps to add random useless poo poo to your right click context menus

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Internet Old One posted:

Yep cut my teeth on slackware. Then went to redhat. Then mandrake. Early 2000s mandrake might have been one of the most straightforward installs of my life. I was actually a little suspicious when it was done.

Yeah, but from that era I'm reminded of a video of some guy melting down at 3AM because he was trying to do a redhat install over the course of multiple days on a sequence of floppy disks that would fail after the 39th disk and he'd start again

I'd find the video, but search is just giving me bearded dude reaction faces with 10000 variations of "how to install kali linux on windows ftw"

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Jelly posted:

Facebook notified me it had removed one of my posts this morning. I was surprised to see said post was from six years ago in 2018. I copied the URL I posted into my search bar expecting to find some past hostile opinion on Republicans or cops but it was just an image gallery of a metal cutout of the Witch King for a firepit.

glad to see they're finally addressing the scourge of angmar

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Internet Old One posted:

I don't understand how businesses can get hosed by MS the same way over and over and over and they fall for it every time.

Because qualified IT people are not making those decisions. It's always some C level shithead that only sees immediate dollar value backed up by people who invested their lives in microsoft certifications and can barely operate a toaster

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

MrTargetPractice posted:

I had been using NordVPN for the longest time just due to laziness but recently they stuck a loving ad in my right click menu for some file sharing bullshit of their's so I canceled and uninstalled that poo poo immediately.

I had a similar experience. nordvpn is bottom tier shady rear end garbage and always had been. They have an extremely effective model getting mid-tier social media/influencer sponsorship (of which the late lowtax belonged to) and monitoring on sites like reddit and hacker news to immediately quell outrage and maintain image. Couple that with the fact the VPN "review" market is nothing but paid shills. I moved to protonvpn and questioned why I stuck with Nord for so long. I wouldn't be surprised if they used a model of "this person just paid for 35 years up front, so now we can gently caress with them"

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

thathonkey posted:

i would suggest to see if your vpn provider offers configs/support for the openvpn client instead of using their own. that should limit their ability to enshittify their own service to some extent. if they dont let you use openvpn find one that does.

This is a good tip and pretty much all of them do as far as I've researched, including nord. Even if the interface is clean I'd still feel gross giving them money. There's also some security consideration to be made about locking in to any given VPN protocol, but I'm not smart enough to answer that

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

rafikki posted:

I’m gonna ask the evergreen question - why are you using a VPN (like nord or proton)? If the answer isn’t bypassing geo blocks for Netflix or maybe torrent stuff, you’re probably doing it wrong.

I have many linux torrents, thank you. Also I trust Proton more than my ISP for tracking me. And I occasionally lock myself out of some cloud machines with ban by IP

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

credburn posted:

What was the "height" of Suprnova? I stopped using it around 2006, but in those days there wasn't really a moment my modem wasn't torrenting something and I've still never gotten a warning, not back then, and not now (though I don't really torrent much now). I never use a VPN, I use Comcast, how come I never get yelled at??

This really depends on *what* as well. I'm guessing popular TV shows and new movie releases get more attention than obscure 1980s bootleg anime

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

TrashMammal posted:

do you pay for things in stores with either a debit or credit card?

Some things I pay for in cash for those reasons, like the weede store

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

filmcynic posted:

the new Crow trailer

what the gently caress

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Failson posted:

Complaining about Adobe products is like complaining that garbage stinks, but here goes anyway:

Acrobat Pro has gone from just bad to completely broken. Constant hangs and crashes. Unless it gets fixed, I'm not sure how we can continue using it.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Wifi Toilet posted:

Did anyone say eBay yet? Just sold something for $20 and I got like 15 and change payment. Is eBay seriously charging 20% to sell on their site now? Lol.

20% seems high than what they list for $20 items, but I don't know if you've got multiple fees piling up

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fees-credits-invoices/frais-pour-les-vendeurs-particuliers?id=4822

Did they pull out sales tax too or something?

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

Remember the whole thing about how all those free/cheap/spamming vpns are privacy sucking dumpster fires you shouldn't trust?

https://m.slashdot.org/story/426501

lol slashdot

wash bucket posted:

I mean, if you trusted a VPN offered by Facebook that’s a little bit your fault.

:emptyquote:

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Discord is terrible and has decided to start showing ads because why hold back, really

Some Neocon Rag posted:

Discord to Start Showing Ads for Gamers to Boost Revenue

Social-media startup Discord plans to start showing advertisements on its free platform in the coming week after long dismissing them, becoming the latest tech company to turn to ads to try to boost revenue.
The paid promotions are from videogame makers and will offer users gifts for completing in-game tasks while their friends watch on Discord.

https://archive.is/SPgOM

While I think this is just for the streaming part, I hope this drives it into the ground and pushes people back into better standards. Anyone have experience with matrix/synapse/element?

DemihumanResources fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 1, 2024

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Nettle Soup posted:

It's April 1st, right?

I don't think the Wall Street Journal usually does full article pranks? I'd be happy to be wrong.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Nettle Soup posted:

Well the "Quests" slider is already there in your privacy settings, and on by default, so go turn that off.

I have absolutely had it with "we'll just opt you in" poo poo

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

corporations need to shut the gently caress up.

evergreen

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

carrionman posted:

AWG is the one that loving enrages me.

Metric: 1mm2 cable - that's its cross sectional area.
2.5mm2 cable. It's 2.5x the cross sectional area of the previous one. Nice and easy to compare.

AWG:
This is a 4- gauge. That means 4 of them fit in the measurement hole. How big is the measurement hole? gently caress you.

looks like someone skipped base 92 logarithms in your head day

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

I do, in fact, loving hate subscription services.

MyFitnessPal, which I used for like 10 loving years, used to have a barcode scanner to enter food into your tracking diary. Now it's behind a paywall.

It's 80 loving dollars a year. That's the discount you get unless you want to pay monthly.

Ah, while typing this it seems to have gotten much worse than I thought. I just logged in and this is my main page.

FUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKK YYYOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUU

jesus christ that's grim

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Squiggle posted:

I switched to Lose It. They still hassle you for subscriptions, but at least macro nutrients aren't behind a paywall.

for now

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Cerekk posted:

Please let me know what other cloud storage provider will let me back up 5+TB of photos for $10/mo

Is this included with amazon prime or are you talking about AWS?

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Also, for as lovely as Amazon is, I went to my local Michaels to get some art supplies thinking "hey I'll do my OWN same day :smugdog:" and literally everything like pencils and sketch pads were more expensive. Same brand. Same item number. All $2 more. IF THEY EVEN loving HAD THEM IN STOCK. I left mondo depressed

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

gently caress Hobby Lobby too, but that goes without saying.

Nah, you should say it every time you get the chance

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

euphronius posted:

If you want live local sports you are still paying for cable on top of steaming lol

This is basically all I do. It's getting harder to get stuff that used to be nationally broadcast on the air, though. Patiently awaiting for the super bowl to be exclusive on Apple TV one year

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

You guys wanna hear something loving gross?

So my dad died almost a year ago. It was very sad and I'm still upset about it. My nephew and sister are living with my mom (and dad previously) due to financial troubles. My nephew never had a dad. He skipped town immediately when he was born. My dad was like a dad to him.

Last week my nephew told me that a while back, right after my dad died, someone came to their door and said "We're aware that someone just died here and we were wondering if you want to sell the house to us?" My nephew, about 6'3 220lbs and very polite and soft spoken was like "What?" The guy asked again and my nephew just said "Leave now."

I couldn't believe the loving gall of that snake. What prompted my nephew to tell me is that I sent him this text I got two weeks ago.

I looked up the company and they have no online presence and have been around for less than 2 years.

:capitalism:

jfc That feels like some modern-day Dickensian nightmare profession

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

redshirt posted:

A society where working folks can't afford housing, health care, and child care to live, does not seem built on a stable foundation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

I saw that too at a Walgreens. Only place I've ever seen that has you put it in upside down. I wonder how many times the cashiers there have to tell people to flip their card in a shift.

I'm dumb as hell so they have to tell me every time. :smugdog: