Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.

Bluemillion posted:

The diver got the worse end of the bargain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bh2h2x6u18&t=510s

This was fascinating, what a rescue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

CaptainSarcastic posted:

We should probably goldmine this pretty soon - don't want the thread to run out of steam and the quality to sink to new lows.

has anyone flamed out and gotten banned yet itt? i don't actually remember seeing much drama at all.

pretty drat incredible for 100+ pages about billionaire hubris and humans getting turned into crab soylent

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

We should probably goldmine this pretty soon - don't want the thread to run out of steam and the quality to sink to new lows.

It's fine, don't feel the need to put more pressure on yourself to make us happy.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

slinkimalinki posted:

Marinara trench lol

There must be an easier way to make Ragu!

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Stoop Kid posted:

I've never even heard of this story before, and my mind is loving blown the gently caress away

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Google Jeb Bush posted:

also a teen and an insane French old guy

The teen is the only person I feel bad for.

The old guy is in his 70's and while I'm sure he was planning on living longer, going out doing something wildly stupid in your late 70s and making world news over it is not bad way to go out.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

On the bright side they didn't have to Huff each other's farts because billionaires do that enough already

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
One more:

Wouldn't it be funny, not bitter,
a real knee-slapping sidesplitter,
if while two miles below
the sub's CEO
imploded while using the shitter?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wilderthanmild posted:

The teen is the only person I feel bad for.

The old guy is in his 70's and while I'm sure he was planning on living longer, going out doing something wildly stupid in your late 70s and making world news over it is not bad way to go out.

i feel a little bad for all the new grads who are about to lose their job, and the only entry on their resume aside from their degree is

OceanGate, 2020 - present

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Without the ziploc toilet and logiech controller this thread would probably not exist. So.. good on ya mates.

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

This shocked me so much that I went to the site just to see and there are now over 30 "fanfictions," most of which involve the guys loving each other. It's rare that things on the internet shock me anymore, but I was absolutely appalled.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Say what you will about elite billionaires, but if there's anyone who could build, and this is important, also pilot a submarine made out of carbon fiber, it'd be Elon Musk. He's the smartest most bestest inventor alive and he could definitely do it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is incorrect

Here's an updated picture of the Titans interior

Sunlight doesn't reach down to the Titanic wreck.
Light only reaches down 1000m max, and this looks really really bright so close to the surface.
So if this is the pringles can they were in, they didn't get far.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Wile E. Toyota posted:

This shocked me so much that I went to the site just to see and there are now over 30 "fanfictions," most of which involve the guys loving each other. It's rare that things on the internet shock me anymore, but I was absolutely appalled.

i knew those deep sea perverts were up to something….

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Wile E. Toyota posted:

this stuff has to be getting churned out be AI, right?

Flagellum
Dec 23, 2011

spurdo av master race so what

Bad Purchase posted:

i feel a little bad for all the new grads who are about to lose their job, and the only entry on their resume aside from their degree is

OceanGate, 2020 - present

I think they will be ok, everyone knows how it ended up is just their idiot billionaire boss's fault and I hope having something like that in the resume very early in their career will work as a good eye-catcher.

Also this thread was :five:

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This is incorrect

Here's an updated picture of the Titans interior

Yeah nah. There's coral in that pic.

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord

Space Jam posted:

i knew those deep sea perverts were up to something….

Remember those knocking sounds that were reported? That sub was a-rockin' and some fool went a-knockin'.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Stoop Kid posted:

If you haven't seen it, you need to watch a 2019 documentary called "Last Breath", about a commercial diver stranded on the seabed after his umbilical got sheared off, with only five minutes of oxygen supply and no chance of rescue for more than 30 minutes. I think it's on Netflix or Apple TV?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ethanol posted:

this is not a drone. it's a a commercial vessel with 5 people on it.
so no they do not use xbox 360 controller to fly manned aircraft
and the expensive drones do not use xbox 360 controllers. and they also have an incredible array of redundant stability systems that Stockton did not develop

Maybe they don't *anymore* but they absolutely were back in the late 2000s

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 23, 2023

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Near
Far
Wherever you are
My heart
Will go on

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Maybe they don't *anymore* but they absolutely were back in the late 2000s

Those are wired.

Guy was throwing around a wireless controller. I bet they didn't even back back up batteries.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Modelling sub implosion

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S100757042030229X#sec0002

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

slinkimalinki posted:

Marinara trench lol

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

You Are A Elf posted:

Go back and reread the post you’re both referring to.

Slowly.

no

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

:downs:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

something awful needs a delete post feature

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Lusty Grundles posted:

Feel a little bit of sympathy for the kid. That's an unprecedented level of peer pressure, we were only encouraged to eat ketchup packets when I was a kid.

I would've done it for sure, so I could say to myself "man that poo poo was low, even for you".

Ayyyye

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What a terrible day to have eyes

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Closed doors? That’s a generous thing to call the poo poo curtain.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

:gooncamp:

Someone overlay gooncamp onto the titan explorer as a new emoji

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

pounded in the butt by 500 atmospheres of pressure

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Was thinking tonight that those five people probably went from healthy adults to 100% instantly dead as fast as anyone in history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

They are tied with these 4 (at least)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Thresher_(SSN-593)

and these guys

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i can't believe the water had to do all those calculations before it smooshed them

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
I’m loving jealous of all the first year engineering students in 2040 who get taught about this incident in their Physics 1 classes instead of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge or the Kansas City Hyatt Walkway collapse

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Freaking duh

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

big shoutout to archive of our own for chronicling history’s deepest blumpkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I just read Futility: The Wreck of the Titan, and uh spoiler warning for a 125-year-old novel but it raised a legal question: In the book, the Titan hits an iceberg while the sailor on lookout was drunk, which voids the Titan's insurance policy. The only person alive to testify to this fact is the sailor himself, and he freely tells the insurance company's lawyers. When he learns that the child he rescued from the wreck will get a large inheritance if the insurance is paid out, he refuses to testify. Would this be some kind of insurance fraud?