Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

On the thread's recommendation I just watched Underwater. It was pretty good. The production design was fantastic and the creatures were solid.

TJ Miller needed to die way earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

FUUUCK! Hell House LLC Origins (the new one that came out today) is loving fantastic! Goddamn was that good!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Crumps Brother posted:

If I'm reading the room correctly it sounds like it might be entirely reasonable to watch the first and last Hell House movies and skip the middle two. Is that true? Nobody is saying anything very glowing about those two and it sounds like the fourth just starts its own thing in an entirely new location.

You would not miss anything of value skipping 2 and 3.

8one6
May 20, 2012

8one6
May 20, 2012

Stephen King longs for the days when movies had 5-10 minute scenes of people driving silently.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Franchises have a certain guarantee of funding and audience. A Nightmare on Elm Street 28: Freddy scares kids on the Starship Elm Street is almost certainly going to make back it's budget back just because of the NoES brand.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I finally watched M3gan last night and it was loving great!

8one6
May 20, 2012

Rageaholic posted:

One of my favorites of 2023 :) Did you watch theatrical or unrated? There's not a ton of difference. IIRC the unrated version has a few more swears and the deaths are a little gorier.

Unrated. I'm guessing it was the original cut and the theatrical cut was just to get it under the pg-13 rating.

alf_pogs posted:

the toy test chamber being something out of a Cronenberg movie really added a lot

I was one hundred percent on the dickhead boss' side after the prototype loving exploded during the demo. What the gently caress was she building into a kids toy where an glitch would cause it to go off like a grenade?

8one6 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 7, 2024

8one6
May 20, 2012

Zwabu posted:

So what is the difference when some indies make a found footage movie using a cell phone vs. when Soderbergh shoots a film like Unsane or Side Effects on an iPhone? Why does the Soderbergh film look pretty drat good and the FF look like garbage most of the time?

Is it only down to skill and filmmaking experience? Or is a lot of the difference down to other technical resources that the Soderbergh budget can accommodate like fancy lighting, tripods trolleys and other apparatus?

Lighting and sound. Any rear end in a top hat with a camera can just point a camera at some actors and make a movie, but it's immediately obvious that they don't know what they're doing if it's poorly lit or it's relying entirely on the piece of poo poo microphone built into the camera they're using.

8one6
May 20, 2012

At this point I've watched just about all of the FF/POV horror Amazon prime has to offer and it's gotten to the point where I can tell within five minutes if the filmmaker is making a FF movie because it's cheap and easy (it's not actually easy) or if it's actually going to be enjoyable to watch. Framing, sound, having at least thought about the answer to the "why are you still filming" question, etc.

A half decent filmmaker will have put some thought into it all beyond "My uncle owns a creepy shack in the woods".

8one6
May 20, 2012

loving finally!

8one6
May 20, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Ghostwatch is a really fun watch. I don’t know if it’s infamous in the UK, but as an American I’d never heard of it. along with it being an ok little piece of horror it was pretty fun to read the whole context of it and also get a nice little slice of 1992.

Heck yeah! Ghostwatch is a classic.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I watched Late Night With the Devil yesterday and it ruled! Great performances, solid effects, and really sold the late 70s vibe. I loved the store brand James Randi.

Honestly the only real complaint I have was the beginning of the movie has so many production company bumpers I honestly thought they were doing it as a joke.

8one6
May 20, 2012

To be honest right up until the trailer revealed it was a vampire movie I had no interest in Abigail. "Spoiling" the premise of the movie is pretty much the only way to market it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

fr0id posted:

Am I wrong or were there a couple basic continuity errors in Late Night with the Devil?

First, the title of the book seemed to first be announced as Lillith or whatever the girls name was, even though the cover on screen obviously had a different title. Later when that guest is introduced, they say the title that’s on the book.

Second, the James Randi-esque check is first said to be 100,000 dollars, then later they refer to it as 500,000. Did I miss them raising it at some point?

Assuming I’m not wrong, it kind of contributes to the shoddy feeling I get about the movie and its use of AI art. Just in general the whole thing felt a little too artificial, especially the cuts to people talking backstage that are in no way found footage. I couldn’t really get into it for that.

You did miss not!Randi upping the amount. Extremely minor spoiler I'm tagging so no one can complain He ups to 500k right after the psychic declares that he doesn't need the 100k.

No idea on the book title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Cage was the only reason Renfield was remotely watchable.