Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Valko posted:

It's an existential headfuck. If this actually happened it basically proves the Multiverse Theory. Wasn't there also some episode with an evil alternate SG1 team? I just checked and there are eight across it and it's spinoffs.
https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Alternate_reality#SG1:_%22There_But_for_the_Grace_of_God%22

I love all of the SG-1's alternate universe and/or time travel episodes as well as the 2nd movie (Ba'al :argh:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

Not sure I agree. I doubt a real life Stargate Command would be anywhere near as moral and good as the one run by Hammond.

Honestly the most unbelievable part of SG-1 is that the US Air Force is just and moral and not a bunch of religious fundies aching to drop bombs on anything labelled "not America"

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

Is that the one with the lie detector equipment, and the smoking hot bod?

aka "Tok'ra Barbie". I didn't mind her, but some fans really disliked her and the direction the show took in Season 6.

Top Tok'ra:

1. Jacob & Selmak (obviously)
2. Martouf & Lantash
3. Yosuf & Garshaw (leader of Tok'ra in their debut episode)

Also I feel like anyone who aggressively blabbed about the Stargate Program would've been put in a secret blacksite prison for awhile.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Eeyo posted:

Yeah he was dating some woman on the other planet and had given up on the whole stargate thing, then teal'c shows up and he's like "sorry honey I gotta go" and we never hear from her again.

He told her he would visit but I bet he never did. He only had eyes for Carter.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

With how things are made now it would be a dark, gritty reboot a la SGU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

kdrudy posted:

They addressed that as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RslFT2PC8Y

Modified ones would've been interesting though, try to perfect their accuracy.

I wish they would've kept the MP-5. They treat the P90 like a semi-auto rifle that can snipe bad guys from hundreds of yards away when it's just a Personal Defence Weapon that's probably only effective out to 50 yards at most.

I expect more weapon realism from a show where people travel across the galaxy using a giant ring. :colbert:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

I forgot about the Tollan Guy. He was Sam's best BF material.

Ehhhh he seemed creepy to me.

redshirt posted:

Those are two of my favorite episodes. That there is technically no connection between them other than a hand written note that just says don't go to P34-987 or whatever makes it even more beautiful.

I wonder if they did that in 2010 with the intention of making 2001? they must've right? I'll say it again, SG-1 did the funnest alternate reality timeline episodes

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Pete loving sucked too

Edit: Excellent snipe

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

He calls up his cop contacts to stalk her; he physically follows her to stalk her.

That stalky ancient was less stalky than Pete.

Stalky ancient came back as a child to "cure" Earth from the Ori plague but probably mostly to hit on Sam

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

I love when the other SG teams get some action. Or deployed in groups.

They all get to guard the gate, which you think would be safe-ish but no

pixaal posted:

But Weir isn't even played by the same actor in Atlantis as she was in SG-1

In the Season 8 premiere of SG-1 she was played by the same actress.

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 15, 2023

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Rappaport posted:

A ha'tak is about 700 by 700 by 400 meters, so it'd be a visible thing in Earth orbit. Wasn't there some techno-babble about Asgard ships having some kind of cloaking tech that makes them invisible to mere Tau'ri detectors?

Yeah Thor said Asgard ships were undetectable by Tau'ri tech, and in the first replicator episode when O'Neill disappears, Sam says something to the same effect.

They came up with all sorts of ridiculous explanations for the poo poo that happened in and around earth orbit, I'd assume they would also monitor for persistent chatter about a giant pyramid in space and shut it down.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Trast posted:

Put some respect on Canadian office campus planet.

I think the Tolan homeworld was on the UBC campus(?)

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

Freakin' Tollans. So high and mighty. Teal'c disobeyed a direct order from Jack and from the Tollans to save their asses.

Every super advanced species in SG1 was pretty incompetent, except maybe the Nox.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

big shtick energy posted:

SFU. It also got used for BSG and a bunch of other sci-fi shows at various times.

The beauty of Brutalist architecture

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Yeah I definitely wouldn't describe the SGC as overly competent. Most of the time they have to fix their own giant mistakes (eg overriding the gate safety protocol and sending a wormhole through a sun causing it to shift towards the infrared spectrum).

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

itry posted:

Great work by the actor, but what a slimey gross character :shudder:

Ronny Cox's specialty

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

With the Ori, or with Anubis? Or both?

I would have liked one more Aeschen episode where Earth goes to their world and fucks their poo poo up.

I loved the actual series finale but I would've also loved SG-1 rolling up to the Aeschen homeworld in their new Asgard outfitted ships and blasting the poo poo out of an Aeschen city

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Wonder if her eyes glowed

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

I think that was the last Maybourne episode of SG1

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

I love Jack O'Neill. But he's got a lot of flaws. Like for the most part, diplomatically, he's terrible.

And yet he's almost always selected to make first contact and/or negotiate with other peoples. The Air Force really needs to get their poo poo together!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Hopefully they have enough working smoke detectors

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

snergle posted:

i actually just saw that one! it was kinda decent. and im guessing sokkar is the christian figure one from the spoiler post earlier. i thought i remembered the one where he was burning through the iris that daniel said he was egyptian but the closest analoge would be satan i guess he is full on satan now.

i also havent seen the ori yet im mostly wanting to see the furling since it would be the last of the 4 races. although i guess i didnt see an ancient yet either but the whole moved on from this space thing

You won't see the Ori for several seasons

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

Rank your top 3 Goa'uld:

1 Ba'al
2 Zipcana
3 Tanith

1. Original Ba'al
2. Ba'al #2
3. Ba'al #8

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

pixaal posted:

The movie: has very little to do with the show. In the movie it's sated Ra is the last of his kind, and the writer has proven to be angry that others were made to exist in the show and that the Gate goes to more than 1 location. I just pretend it doesn't exist. It doesn't even have the same actors. Jack has the wrong numbers of ls in his last name in the movie, it's clearly another universe.

e: do watch the movies that are related to the show, Ark of Truth (wraps up the final plot arc after it was canceled) and continuum (a fun very fun baal story)

The show probably skipped by the movie universe one time when they used the quantum mirror

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

pixaal posted:

I'm pretty sure this is brought up as a joke and retold during one of the clipshows Wormhole X-treme? Like the fact that it's so terrible.

It was brought up in the series finale in the alternate reality where she's just a research assistant. She's practicing telling off her boss and she says the genitals on the inside line, then immediately tells herself that is a stupid line.

redshirt posted:

It is, in the episode "200".

And this episode I guess too, don't remember it in there

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

If it doesn't come with the snake helmet, what's the point

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

snergle posted:

they were basically amish and if he even had any he definatly burned through them in like 3 months. the next 6 he was rolling those dice.

He was only trapped on that planet for like 100 days. I'm sure the standard SG team kit has like 50 condoms for this exact situation.

redshirt posted:

Remember that little mini-arc in Season 4 featuring the Tok'Ra Anise?

aka Tok'Ra Barbie. I thought she was fine, but it was definitely a ploy to sex up the show.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Armacham posted:

I saw this on Reddit so now you all have to see it

This is now canon

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

alexandriao posted:

The Goa'uld are pre-republic, and the Jaffar have only ever seen Feifdoms. So like obviously they are going to hold Qualms about some aliens coming up and being like "oh Interstellar Feudelism is so gauche!! Here try our Democracy(tm). Oh also we dont have Any hidden motives here AT ALL, I PROMISE"

I don't think Jaffar even had one Feifdom tbh

Edit: He might've been one of Apophis' Jaffa though, given his snakehead staff

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 8, 2023

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Red Sky is the one where the wormhole goes through a planet's sun and redshifts it. The episode has a red hue applied to show this

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Jack O'Neill is inexplicably one of pre-Federation Earth's ambassadors

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

I feel like The Other Guys works a lot better if you've watched the Red Green Show, and are already acclimatized to Patrick McKenna.

Holy poo poo I never realized before how similar those 2 characters are!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

Asgard tech is there from the beginning though, isn't it? Shields, anti-gravity, hyperspace engine, these were all from the Asgard on the Prometheus. I think.

Some of that was tacked on afterwards, I think. The reason Thor comes to Earth during Disclosure is to outfit the Prometheus with Asgard designed weaponry and shields. And then in Unending they give everything to the Tau'ri.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Christopher Judge's facial acting at the end of that episode is amazing

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

Well said. And its certainly the combo of the loss of Ra and the void that causes, and the SGC getting out and loving stuff up for the Goa'uld.

But SGC was "lucky" in the sense that that void probably allowed them to succeed. If Ra was still in place and the System Lords stable, SGC and Earth probably get wiped out sooner than later.

Yeah, Ra would''ve done what Anubis tried to do but in season 1

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah Ark of Truth and Continuum as FFT mentions. Ark of Truth wraps up the later season's plotlines (and isn't that great tbh). Continuum is a bit more wacky and feels like a two-parter TV episode. It's fun.

Continuum loving slaps, though I am a mark for pretty much any alternate reality sci-fi, especially when it comes to SG-1

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

They also all live in and around Colorado Springs, which I can't imagine is/was that expensive in terms of housing prices. Jack pulling down 6 figures from the start of the series would probably let him afford his house easy.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

Now, let's talk about Jonas's hot Goa'uld girlfriend.

Hi boyband hair in that episode was ridiculous

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Continuum was fun, Bre'tac was a major character in season 1. Don't think I watched anything past season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

redshirt posted:

What would be your role in the SGC? On an SG team? Scientist? Medical staff? Cafeteria staff? Sgt who dials the gate on the 3rd shift?

3rd shift gate dialer sounds about right. And you know what I'm just happy to be a part of the team!