Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Here I'll post some feedback, hope you consider it good faith despite coming from a nefarious outsider with few gbs posts

Nearly every mod of this subforum is garbage in their role and half of you seem like garbage human beings on top of that. If you want grace and understanding for mistakes, demonstrate some change for once.

If you can't do that, get out of the way of better people. You've already got one alright mod in Solefald, you'll be able to find more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

It is not abuse to call out a bad reaction on the part of a moderator. In the same way that mods need to not take criticism of their moderation practices personally, users need to stop taking it personally on their behalf.

A singular mod did something lovely to a user. That has, apparently, been hashed out via PM, and the wronged user appears happy with the resolution. Everything since has been a completely unforced error on the part of other moderators of this subforum. This should not be a forums war. Stop trying to make it one.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Slugworth posted:

You referenced retail managers - A good manager fires abusive customers.

you can't fire customers

I mean this analogy is dumb in general imo but that part also doesn't actually make any sense at all

Also telling someone who had irl circumstances used as a cudgel against them and had that act explicitly okay'd by a mod that they have to not use mean words seems disingenuous to me

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jul 19, 2023

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

I have absolutely fired customers that abuse my restaurant staff. I have literally taken their food give them their money back and told them to leave, in both full service and fast food.

living my entire life thinking "firing" had a legal definition, guess not

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

What do you think permabans are?

"Thank you but we no longer wish to do business with you going forward. Goodbye."

Absolutely not the same thing as terminating employment is what I think lol

back to the feedback

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Seems like a rather elegant way to show a fundamental disconnect between the parties yelling over each other here, no.

:allears:

do you actually think of posting here like a contracted agreement where you get paid

honestly, is this how you perceive your existence on this website

is this how the mods in question think, too? Might explain some poo poo.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Okay this legit just seems like calling for scalps for literally no reason though

There's already precedent set by admins this month alone that if a mod stops actually doing any moderating they shouldn't be in the position, so as to avoid situations where someone might reach out to them with a major issue and not get a response and things like that

I don't think it's relevant to The Current Bullshit but it's not just thirsting for mod scalps or whatever. Gene doesn't post. There's nothing wrong with asking a question about that.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

Gene posted in GBS 5 days ago. So the point is moot.

Gene does post

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

tiaz posted:

I don't mean to say you should ban anyone who has a harsh word for a mod, but this thread and SAD are pretty clearly overrun by bad faith actors, and tolerance towards them is harmful imo.

This. Every feedback thread is a nightmare and I don't think it has to be.

Who are the bad faith actors? Genuinely, who are the bad faith actors? What is your line? Is this line shared by your moderators? Other posters in your threads?

What criticism constitutes bad faith, for you all? What is the source of aggrievement? Gimme an example.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

So should I assume the issue is that there actually aren't any examples bad faith actors posting here in this thread, and the aggrievement is because the perceived outsiders aren't showing sufficient deference and using customer service voices?

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 19, 2023

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Dick Fontaine posted:

probably a lot better for psychic stability to recontextualize that to “taking statements at face value.” there’s a lot less room to make up bizarre fantasies about other posters’ motivations that way

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Good job on steering the conversation away from mod feedback to whether or not harsh criticism is abusive which took us back to word filter moderation everyone.

Working as intended I guess

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I think it would be good if the GBS mods would post here, since the entire reason Fluff is doing this is giving them the ability to post their feelings with an actual third party handling moderation for a bit

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Well I'm glad at least one gbs mod posted, even if it is about this dumb poo poo again

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Wendigee posted:

Whoever is still upset.

I don't even know what the argument is anymore.

If you don't know what's going on you can just not post. Most recent attempt to get things centered in here already went to poo poo anyway.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Karma Comedian posted:

Thread rule 1: assume good faith.

I was sixering people for disregarding the multiple instructions and warnings to take the argument elsewhere, not dismissing or being sarcastic anything.

The posts are all here, in public view, in this thread. I know a bunch of people are all irony poisoned but I've been sincere in every post here. Stopping an argument that has been told to stop is part of the duties of a moderator.

DW decided apropos of nothing that I was talking specifically and only to them, even though I explained to them I wasn't, and that they'd responded to a post that wasn't about them, and they decided to keep going. Out of everyone arguing when I posted to stop, they're the only one that took it personally or thought it was directed explicitly at them. I've never even said he specifically was sniping, and I challenge anyone to find where I did.

I was beyond patient, to the point of receiving several complaints from other members of the community about the guy monopolizing the thread, and I gave more than enough warnings and options to cut it out. My final warning was even quoted to continue the argument.

Okay so where did the random blast directed at no one in SAD come into this? That's the part that that caused the default assumption of hostility and redirection you had when Fluff first took over in here.

I'll take you at face value in this case and provide feedback to that perception - there are major communication issues on display right now between GBS moderation and the people providing feedback to them, whatever that feedback may be

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lol cool

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Jose Valasquez posted:

Who has been given an inappropriate av?

I'm aware of the history, I'm just not sure what you're talking about in terms of this thread

they're taking issue with douche wolf's av because of the context of the convo

efb

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

it do be ugly tho

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

And thus, GBS completes its metamorphosis into SAD2

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

he can't, the nerds can only track the av if you buy it for yourself

unless....

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Cousin Todd posted:

I submit that it's possible to feel condescended to and for the other party to not have any intention of being condescending. Both can be valid.

A fair point. I don't think there's any world where "hth" to someone asking you a direct question isn't intentionally condescending though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

ArchRanger posted:

I'd rather a mod hit someone for using a slur or bigoted language and then apologize later if it turns out that it was a bad call than let stuff slip past. Getting probed isn't the end of the world.

I'm staying out of slurchat because I am a person that has zero place in it but one of the other broad points of contention here is that there seems to be a some sort of geas that prevents certain mods from doing the bolded part when it really would just be the simple fix, and that's bad

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lol the ADTRW thing was definitely not about you, no worries there

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

none of those posts are agreeing with cousin todd that people were faking being gay, and stux getting a probe for trollishly egging it on is the universe's equilibrium state

bro come on

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Endorph posted:

didnt the star citizen thread dox a 16 year old in a wheelchair

Not the GBS thread, that happened when it was its own forum iirc

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah I appreciate the mods and IKs who commented and of course its great to see some actual user communication going on in here but Seth is MIA and Karma pretty much just posted to say he wasn't mad while in the process of tilting at fluff. Mods are part of this ecosystem too folks, you got someone going out of their way to let you post earnestly for a bit without worrying about the power dynamic. Use it.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

vyelkin posted:

I'm going to post on Seth's behalf to say that he and I were talking about these issues a day or two ago and he recognized during our conversation that he was starting to feel burned out and it was contributing to him getting annoyed more easily in situations like the recent feedback threads, which was not helping the situation. This was something he regretted so he decided to log off and take a break from the forums. I really strongly support mods taking breaks when they feel that sort of low-key burnout, but the side effect is it means he won't be around to comment on feedback for a little while.

Good context and a good call then.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Fluffdaddy posted:

Going back but yes this is bad and we will be removing him for this

Good call, that was extremely lovely and I was gonna type a big effort post about it lol

Also def don't do the buttons for every OP thing whoever suggested upthread since that's just likely to encourage a pursuit of superstardom but I think the ik shuffle on thread reboot that was also mentioned is a legitimately good idea

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 21, 2023

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

The only reason anybody is pushing back against this is because of who it was done to. Nix posted badly, as usual for all the war threads on this site, but there was *nothing* truly objectionable about the post that was blanked and the fact that it was done so makes it look like a lovely gotcha (which is in character for GIR ime elsewhere on the forums)

That's a garbage way to moderate even at the IK level and there is no doubt in my mind that if the same had been done to the people in here complaining by some DnD mod or whatever they'd be all about a de-IKing in SAD

Quit with the forums wars and just look at poo poo objectively here, this thread was doin good

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

I don't have any lists you weirdos

lmao you don't get to call people weird right now

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Wait that was KM too? holy cow

I thought the Honey Trap Queen alt was the depths of KM's pathetic posting but wow

Yeah the thing that prompted KM to autoban and then get HTQ outed as her alt was fallout from a no bullshit attempt to get Rich to give her extra forums power, which is very funny in retrospect. A fine saga.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Toxic Mental posted:

Yeah we can take it to Sagas to laugh at.

----8<----

My real feedback is that we should host the (prospective) Gutter Phoenix fundraiser here in GBS, or maybe even a site-wide stickied announcement and it would be cool to have a gang tag for donators.

repurpose the dumb lowtax donation tags into cool that guy donation tags

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

My favorite was getting caught in the Boxing Day superweapon deployment but no rap sheet entry for that which kinda sucks.

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

first time for everything