Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

I sold off my 40k stuff a few months ago but now I'm coming back for 10th with Sisters and 1k Sons.

Hell yeah, gonna play a stupid list with Magnus and two lords of change.

1 witch, 2 birbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

Like, in the lore? There are so many Ultramarine successor chapters that can come help the Ultramarines at a moment's notice it's ridiculous. Then there's their support fleets and auxiliaries...

"At a moment's notice" may be pushing it. Those chapters all have protectorates and wars/defenses they are currently pursuing, and many cannot drop everything and book for Ultramar unless they are happy to let whole sectors get eaten by Tyranids, swamped with rowdy orks or socialized by the T'au.

Add in the vagaries of warp travel and it may be weeks, months or even years before significant reinforcemernts arrive. Unless the plot needs them to get there immediately, of course!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
There's a neat aspect of 'Spear of the Emperor' where a marine from a different chapter is invited to fight with the Spears, and they are all puzzled that the guest has three slaves in the field picking out targets, running auspex, keeping stragglers away from the rhino and all. Just a different doctrine.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
+1 for the Night Lords trilogy. The first book is very good, and the next two are just amazing.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

kinda lmao at this article on warcom.

"well, hand of the archon doesn't have a datasheet in 40k. sorry! the end."

I miss having trueborns as a unit option. They were fun to place on Venoms to shoot up small units and steal objectives! I hope the coming codex brings them back. And bloodbrides, too, to make wyches worth a drat.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

xtothez posted:

The issue with 10th is that the current state of the game is essentially still a beta test. It should have received a lot more attention (public or private) prior to full public release, but clearly GW were too worried about leaks to do that.

However the underlying rules structure is a much better foundation to build & iterate on than 8th & especially 9th. I think by Spring/Summer the balance picture will look better than either of those editions ever did, and see much smaller swings as further new codexes get released.

I have not played 10th yet, due to being 3000 miles away from my models, but I am a bit concerned that the edition that supposedly was set to cut down on the orgy of re-rolls has tripled down on them. The basic Space Marine rule is "Hey, pick your target, reroll everything", and it's not that different across the factions.

When that guaranteed result security aligns with other actual rules (SM seem to be balanced right now by the roster being lackluster, I'm told), it can lead to some grueling games in which the window to try and force an upset is, like, 4 rolls in turn one, everything after that being a foregone conclusion. My club is mostly still playing 9th because a larg e portion of the members have armies that feel like a slog to play.

Here's hoping the codices will improve things, but at the pace they drop, it will still mean the game is 70% broken (or 'in beta') 2 years from now.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Speaking as someone who liked the unfeeling, omnicidal Necrons of Old, the new ones are a lot more fun,

So every dark could has a silver lining, I guess. Even if that codex was broken as gently caress.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
They made Kharn a lot cheaper. Used to throw me that he was so much worse, both in combat and as a leader, than the Emperor's Champion or Helbrecht, but costed higher, despite being one of the few units in the game with an active drawback.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Uggh, all my chaos lists end up with 45 points to spare. The downside of using named characters is no wiggle room for Enhacements.

I wish they let you buy, I don't know, an extra CP for 30 points to round out spare points. The good thing about cultists and such is that you would also grab a few more mooks to make it an even count.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Coldbird posted:

Nurglings are 35 points a unit, can infiltrate and deep strike, and can still do actions and stuff even if they can’t hold objectives.

Ohh, that helps! Well, not my World eaters, but it's something. I think I can get some from a friend. Thanks!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

Berserkers should be WS 2+

This. Movement 7 or 8, too, or get a free reroll on Advance. If they are really 200% about running forward and chopping things, they should be faster and choppier, and not need a rhino that messes up their charge to get around.

And yeah, add me to the choir wanting bike zerkers, jetpack jerkers with radioactive weapons, and killy Terminators.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"Those other guys think they love their weapons so much. I'll BECOME my weapon, cut out the middleman in the glorious art of war!"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

S.J. posted:

They could've literally just let them use havocs and obliterators. They're right there!

Nope. But can I interest you in these variant blade cultists that are too slow to advance and clear objectives but too frail to hold the backfield?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

I'm having a blast playing World Eaters right now. A lord with a Terminator armor option would be nice, but aside from that I'm actually happy with what they have! Go throw the Emperor's Children a bone or two.

Oh, not saying the faction is bad. I'm glad it's even a thing.

It's just that it feels like it would take -so little- to take it from good to Amazing, in looks and theme.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
My list is basically that, and I'll be trrying it soon. Morty and 2 terminator bricks to push forward, a shooty War Dog to help open vehicles and clean chaff, 2 rhinos with plagues to take the midfield, 2 Crawlers to hold the back and put pressure on objectives before they get assaulted, and a bloat drone to zoom around where that little bit of extra pressure is needed.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
ACDCs? Not quite sure what those might be.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

It's a crime that Nassir Amit doesn't have a forge world model.

True. Kargos as well. A creepy World Eater with messy Apothecary gear could be so fun.

Could make a fun double-model combo like Fulgrim and Ferrus, too.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Weren't the Red Corsairs en route to assault Chogoris as of the last book? I could see them freeing him as they rob a reliquarium, only for DOOMRIDER to corrupt the Corsair vanguard, steal some Scars bikes, and ride off into the warp coked to the gills.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Is the Lion really that bad after the changes? He seems already super survivable with minor support and his 3++ that bounces mortals, so the lack of the -1 to be wounded doesn't feel harsh. And d2 on the sweep attack was a bit excessive.

He still feels eminently dangerous and likely the victor of any straight primarch vs. primarch duel.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Basic Plague Marines are up in cost, which is weird because they are so borked. After the nerf it felt they were meant to be semi-horde, now that is apparently no longer the case.

Plagueburst Crawler and nurglings also up.

And goodbye, WE daemon prince giving a 4++ to all foot infantry!

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I'm not sure Kharn is worth the +20 (!) point increase, especially now that he's no longer a consistent vehicle threat, and is still one of the few HQ models with a downside.

At least they also upped other beatsticks like Helbrechet to a similar degree, though I suspect Helbrecht is both a better puncher and a stronger force multiplier than everyone's favorite team-killer.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Wrr posted:

Got invited to a local 40k group and I'm playing my first 500 point game this Sunday! Sounds like they also have other new players so I won't be alone in my cluelessness. They're playing 9th edition tho so I have to make a new IG list and also find the books to learn to play ahead of time.

I'm thinking of running a platoon squad, two armored sentinels, tank commander, and two krieg squads. Take that doctrine that let's my vehicles have objective secures to make up for my small amount of ground troops.

From my experience playing against them, sentinels seem really good. Cheap, fast, can help you spread out and score secondaries, and you need to direct a non-insignificant bit of firepower at them to get rid of one.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

I never killed much of consequence with my Plagueburst Crawlers, but drat if they don't absorb insane amounts of shooting. And people I play seem terrified of them and keep focusing on them instead of, say, my rhinos and plagueboys that actually do stuff, so I guess their Taunt game is on point.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Ignoring the previous kerfuffle, I'm starting to wonder if imperial guard are the right army for me, to play anyway.

What army were you playing against, if I may ask?

Personally, IG are always a bit of a nightmare for my DG and WE. No matter how much infantry I kill they always have more and keep dropping reinforcements up the board, their tanks and artillery keep bleeding you if you don't focus them super early abd if you do that you're lagging on objectives.

That said, not meshing with an army's style is very much a thing. A friend once lent me his custodes at the club and it felt...wrong.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I would like male-only-Space Marines if it was more of a commentary on child soldiers and the military machine. Young boys being brainwashed and conditioned into living weapons. But the setting wants to treat marines as knightly heroes, and everyone should get to see themselves that way.

This is addressed in some of the books, sometimes in a heartbreaking fashion. The POV character in 'Spear of the Emperor' had a brother sent into the trials to become Astartes, and it....did not go well.

The Night Lords trilogy also has moments showing how brutalized and dissociated the 'candidates' are, even when the legion is still loyal.

But yeah, any such message of "see, these are broken people montruously forged into ingots" sadly gets undone 90% of the time by cover art going "LOOK at these stalwart badasses nobly facing impossible odds!"

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

The announcement articles give a pretty good idea of how they'll work.

You still need Lucius? That's lame. Just having a Slaanesh-marked Chaos lord or Sorcerer should be enough. Are his models piling up that badly in the GW warehouse?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
My 2k World Eaters list has a permanent 55 points left over because special characters can't get enhancements and nothing in the codex is that cheap. I really whish I could just add a few extra zerkers for my walking mob, or maybe buy an extra CP or something.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Kaal posted:

You could put together some Furies, Guardian Drones, or Spindle Drones if you don't mind having a Legends unit. That would be an easy solution since it wouldn't change your list at all. Each of them would be less than 55 points. Alternatively, turning a unit of Berserkers into Eightbound or a Forgefiend could be worth checking out. Otherwise dropping 10 points from something else would let you pick up Jakhals or Chaos Spawn, which probably would be worthwhile.

That's pretty good advice. I like Eightbound but I only have the one unit and Im trying to work mostly with things I already own. I think I can convert some Furies with minimal pain.

And I can certainly see benefits to the current build rules, but I really wish they had some options to burn those annoying last 35-50 points leftover after you have bought everything that uses points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I just wish chaos rhinos had some equivalent or alternative to hunter-seeker missiles. It's lame that they are just worse for the same price