Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I’ve always assumed the “1000 marine chapter” was driven by the idea that any individual player could then reasonably put together a 100-marine company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Even in a game with a lot of arbitrary weirdness, the idea of flamethrowers being the ideal weapon for overwatch is deeply bizarre.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Decorus posted:

I had horrible problems with the first pair of Kastellan legs, they just wouldn't fit together. Turns out I'd glued the pelvis wrong way around, but I only realised it while priming the models and by then I'd cut and chopped the legs up to the point where fixing the mistake was just too hard. Whatever, no one has ever noticed unless I've told them about it.

Robot Beavis and Buttdick look awesome, well done.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

As a total outsider to the game, it certainly seems like one of the big reasons that GW is having such serious balance issues is that they jettisoned the unit slots and weapon costs which had previously been critical balancing features. By removing those elements, they gave themselves a massive and perhaps impossible job of balancing everything based purely on a single number that is supposed to be equally valuable across all factions and detachments.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

World Eaters should lean on the whole gladiator concept, so give some of them nets and tridents to throw around, offer some demonic lions to pal around with, maybe add some charioteers, and create some Murmillo Terminators a la Bioshock.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

xtothez posted:

In case anyone plans to buy up a load of the new space marines on release...

They look great, though it was a good reminder for me that actually assembling the strike force I just put together on paper would cost me a cool $910 before shipping or painting supplies. Time to save I suppose!

quote:

++ Army Roster (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Ultramarines) [2,000pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Battle Size: 2. Strike Force (2000 Point limit)

Detachment: Gladius Task Force

+ Epic Hero [340pts] +

Chief Librarian Tigurius [80pts] ($45): Bolt Pistol, Rod of Tigurius, Storm of the Emperor’s Wrath

Marneus Calgar [185pts] ($60): Warlord
. Marneus Calgar: Gauntlets of Ultramar
. 2x Victrix Honour Guard: 2x Victrix Power Sword

Uriel Ventris [75pts] ($40): Bolt Pistol, Invictus, Sword of Idaeus

+ Character [80pts] +

Apothecary Biologis [80pts] ($20): Absolver Bolt Pistol, Bolter Discipline [25pts], Close Combat Weapon

+ Battleline [380pts] +

Heavy intercessor Squad [105pts] ($65)
. Heavy Intercessor Sergeant
. . Heavy Bolt Rifle: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
. Heavy Intercessor w/Heavy Bolter: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Heavy Bolter
. 3x Heavy Intercessors: 3x Bolt Pistol, 3x Close Combat Weapon, 3x Heavy Bolt Rifle

Heavy intercessor Squad [105pts] ($65)
. Heavy Intercessor Sergeant
. . Heavy Bolt Rifle: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon
. Heavy Intercessor w/Heavy Bolter: Bolt Pistol, Close Combat Weapon, Heavy Bolter
. 3x Heavy Intercessors: 3x Bolt Pistol, 3x Close Combat Weapon, 3x Heavy Bolt Rifle

Intercessor Squad [85pts] ($60): Astartes Grenade Launcher
. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol
. 4x Intercessors: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Bolt Rifle, 4x Close Combat Weapon

Intercessor Squad [85pts] ($0): Astartes Grenade Launcher
. Intercessor Sergeant: Astartes Chainsword, Bolt Pistol, Plasma Pistol
. 4x Intercessors: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Bolt Rifle, 4x Close Combat Weapon

+ Infantry [600pts] +

Aggressor Squad [200pts] ($120)
. Aggressor Sergeant: Power Fist
. 5x Aggressors: 5x Power Fist
. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets & Fragstorm Grenade Launcher: Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Desolation Squad [200pts] ($60)
. 4x Desolation Marine: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Castellan Launcher, 4x Close Combat Weapon, 4x Superkrak Rocket Launcher
. Desolation Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Castellan Launcher, Close Combat Weapon, Vengor Launcher

Inceptor Squad [115pts] ($60): Plasma Exterminators
. 2x Inceptor: 2x Close Combat Weapon
. Inceptor Sergeant: Close Combat Weapon

Incursor Squad [85pts] ($60): Haywire Mine
. Incursor Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Occulus Bolt Carbine, Paired Combat Blades
. 4x Incursors: 4x Bolt Pistol, 4x Occulus Bolt Carbine, 4x Paired Combat Blades

+ Vehicle [600pts] +

Redemptor Dreadnought [210pts] ($75): Icarus Rocket Pod, Macro Plasma Incinerator, Onslaught Gatling Cannon, Redemptor Fist, Twin Storm Bolter

Repulsor [195pts] ($90): Armoured Hull, Hunter-slayer Missile, Las-talon, Repulsor Defensive Array, Twin Lascannon

Repulsor [195pts] ($90): Armoured Hull, Hunter-slayer Missile, Las-talon, Repulsor Defensive Array, Twin Lascannon

++ Total: [2,000pts] ($910) ++

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Mostly I just feel like it's pretty lame for bolters and chainswords to be so iconic and yet the 10th edition rules really discourage you from using them. And more broadly the idea that you get all these neat weapon models but they don't end up getting used because it's just better to upgrade everything - often to weapons that aren't even included in the box - is not very cool. Meanwhile folks are trying to deal with the WYSIWYG rules by magnetizing their models as much as possible even if it means their armies occasionally fall to pieces when being used. If GW is committed to not using weapon costs to balance things, and not changing weapon stats since they want to sell printed data cards, then it seems like the best solution is just getting rid of modular weapons entirely - let people model what they want, and balance the gameplay squad by squad. And frankly from looking at the newer units it seems like they're leaning in that direction.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

If GW can't figure out a way to use points to reflect the actual value of a plasma gun or power sword, then it's probably best to just get rid of modular weapons entirely. Certainly I'd prefer that to "oops all thunder hammers".

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Improbable Lobster posted:

That would be a good solution, especially if they could figure out something pretty similar for the non imperial armies.

The enhancements should be where this sort of issue is solved, they just need to reduce the costs a bit so everyone has a 5, 10, 15, and 20 point option.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Geisladisk posted:

Has there been a single solitary version of Warhammer 40k where massed dudes with bolters was good in any way?

I don’t think there was ever a time that bolters were the best weapon available to Marines, and now that they don’t have to take them - they don’t.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

jadebullet posted:

Changing topics real quick, I hear that Land Raiders are good this edition. Are Primaris allowed to ride in them yet?

Yeah they can use everything but Rhinos and Razorbacks.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Captain Magic posted:

yeah it's pretty wild that nobody else figured out you could just duck underneath chaos this whole time; the best innovations are the simplest

They say that the primarchs took a team photo at the Ullanor Triumph and all the loyalists turned out to be kneeling in the front row when Erebus took the picture.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Mercurius posted:

Depends on how many you're running and whether you're attaching characters to them. The Impulsor/Repulsor Executioner work for just three of them with no characters, the Repulsor/Land Raider work for 6 (with no characters) or 3 + Gravis Captain and Apothecary Biologis and the Land Raider Redeemer works if you're doing 6 + Gravis Captain or Apothecary Biologis. I think the Land Raider Crusader is one of the only things that can actually carry a full size brick of 6 + Gravis Captain and Apothecary Biologis since the 8 models use up 16 transport capacity.

I don't think the Impulsor can carry Gravis since it doesn't have the keyword. Otherwise very good points. Beyond that, Land Raiders have assault ramps so their troops can charge immediately, which is better for melee troops. Repulsors have emergency embarkation so they can pick up troops that are about to be charged, which is better for ranged troops.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 12, 2023

Kaal
May 22, 2002

jadebullet posted:

That's kinda why I like the Black Templars method of having them mixed in with initiates in the Crusader squad. It always made more sense than sending the least experienced guys on the stealthier scouting missions.

Yeah, same. Scouts being the newbies makes no sense unless you’re talking about actual Youth Scouts. The whole idea of Space Marines is that they are power-armored transhuman super soldiers - and the Scouts aren’t any of those things. To my mind the Phobos marines are a better fit for the Space Marines and don’t infringe on the Imperial Guard aesthetic.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

It occurs to me that this conversation is touching on what is the core part of a Marine Scout - whether they are light-armored recon, or that they are untested rookies. Having Neophytes in Black Templar Crusader squads, or Blood Claws led by a Grey Hunter in Space Wolf Packs, makes a lot of sense to me. They touch on the tradition of squires following their knights into battle, or Viking youths proving themselves in battle. There’s also more modern examples of Cadet Companies, which are in the game as Cadian Whiteshields.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is it worth me magnetising the weapon options on this gravis captain rather than just going the power sword on? I'll need smaller magnets than I have. I would think the power and AP on the power weapon are better than one extra attack from a chainsword?

It seems like a pretty safe idea to me. Even in the rather unlikely event that they rebalance the weapon stats to encourage players to use Chainswords, the Power Sword will remain a competitive and flavorful alternative. As it is, there’s no more reason for people to choose a Chainsword than for them to choose a Close Combat Weapon when they have an alternative.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Nazzadan posted:

https://warhammer.com/
New shop is up, I'm in queue just to check it out but apparently FW has been rolled into the main site now.

That makes a surprising amount of business sense for Games Workshop, alleged for-profit corporation.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hmmm, now I am wondering about the logistics about being in a tank for a long period of time where it may not be safe to exit the vehicle.

Now I am gonna have to bounce over the Historical thread and ask Cessna where they go while tanking around.

Abrams and Leopards don’t have them, but Challengers and Merkavas have toilet modules that can be used. The Challenger can apparently vent the refuse, while the Merkava has a chemtoilet. But they’re really basic (basically a seat adapter with a bag), there’s no privacy, and they’re not really intended for use outside of NBC situations. Otherwise, soldiers typically either repurpose a container or go outside. Older tanks often had bottom escape hatches that would get used by tankers for this sort of thing as well.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Yep, that's space marines.

Space Marines are constantly getting into character squabbles, carving their names into history, and generally being heroes. Even the Ultramarines aren’t anonymous and replaceable infantry.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

They are on the tabletop.

On the tabletop the Ultramarines have the most epic characters of any faction.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Virtual Russian posted:

Could I please get some feedback on the following list?

I'd have to buy more infantry, but this list really excites me. The Vostroyans have all those lovely bayonets, it would be such a shame to just hang back and shoot.

The two big bricks of catachans would have the pair of non-warlord command squads, plus the preachers. They would move forwards to seize objectives and charge enemy infantry as fast as possible. The command squad with the warlord would be attached to the infantry squad and hold my backfield. The warlord has grand strategist so it can issue orders to the bombast, all while laying down some lascannon fire. Rough Riders would function as counter-chargers to help the catachans with anything they can't handle. The Dorn will hunt tanks/monsters, and generally deal with problems no one else can solve.

If you’ve got a pair of Catachans in your list already, I’d suggest finding a way to fit in Iron Hand Straken. He’s very good value for only 55 points, since he’s a melee juggernaut and can provide two orders.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Mordian Glory put together some videos featuring Catachans as part of infantry-heavy lists, recently. They're a fun background watch. The overall strategy was to have Catachans and Straken rush the central objectives while Kriegsmen followed up with lots of plasma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMkssPSfjYY

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is there nothing like a veteran squad filled with special weapons any more? Is that a roll filled by Kasrkin? I'm looking for things that can be dangerous when moved up the board in a Chimera.

Kasrkin are probably what you're looking for. People have also been getting some good work done by Gaunt's Ghosts and Tempestus Scions - they're good for that sort of action monkey / deep strike / special ops sort of usage..

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Speaking of conversions, does anyone have a link to someone converting the Lord Solar to be in some sort of vehicle?

I've seen some good conversions for it on everything from a Sentinel or Death Rider to a jeep, motorbike, or hovercraft. I've even seen one on a carnifex.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAstraMilitarum/comments/14s1xik/lord_colonel_dkok_solar_leontus_and_scout/
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAstraMilitarum/comments/158jplj/lord_solar_proxy/
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheAstraMilitarum/comments/16eh05d/finally_finished_my_lord_solar_proxy/

https://www.google.com/search?q=lor...1&client=safari

The Lord Solar has to be in the running for the most converted / proxied unit of all time. It manages to be weird-looking and inappropriate for most armies, while also mechanically critical for all armies. It really contributes to the odd sensation that a 10th edition guard army is a cross-section of the entire imperium, rather than any particular regiment.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Those all sound good, I wonder if you could say "1 non epic HQ, at least 1 Battleline". But now we're just reinventing Force Org.

I think at the end of the day a gaming system that doesn’t want to be dominated by independently strong units either needs internal synergies or external requirements. 10th Edition doesn’t really have much of either of those, which is why there’s so much emphasis on tanks and epic heroes.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Tank commanders are indeed great, and I like your list. They cannot order themselves or each other though, because they are not Squadron units.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Cease to Hope posted:

oh poo poo you're right

one of my regular opponents has been cheating this whole time, lol

Sounds like it’s time for a Death Befitting an Officer!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

RagnarokZ posted:

Tank Commanders are subpar, a single order, can't order themselves, don't get the rules for the main weapon and then as a final "gently caress you" get to shot on death.

Lord Solar is the most cost-efficient way of ordering tanks, which absolutely sucks.

Well, that’s all fair too. When compared to the most essential unit in the guard list they are certainly subpar. In a world where a tank company wasn’t led by a fancy guy on a fancy horse, they’d be more standout.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Shrinking the battlefield and filling it with buildings is certainly “a choice” by GW. I get that it enables the melee armies, but every battle seems like it’s taking place inside a hive. Maybe the real reason the Imperium took over the galaxy is that they’re the only ones who can operate outside of a bunker.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

AnEdgelord posted:

Here in the states the Secret Service does a lot more than just stand beside the President. They're in charge of both stopping counterfeit money and giving people who threaten to kill the president a stern talking to. I'm pretty sure they have their own personal special forces units as well like a lot of other departments do. It's not hard to 40k that up into what the Custodes are doing.

Yeah and there’s a bunch of them. There’s about 7,000 Secret Service officers, and another 2,500 Capitol Police officers, plus a ton of Custode-adjacent groups like Metro PD, private security, ceremonial military, active-duty military, and national guard.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

moths posted:

It's probably based on what you get in the Krieg Veteran KT box.

Yeah I believe it's because of a specific torso or arm (?) piece that is needed for both the Vox and the Plasma, and there's only one provided.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Oh I just realized that the size comparison indicates that a Rhino is supposed to be smaller than one of the banners of the Capitol Imperialis. Yeah a Gorgon seems like the way to go - it carries 30 troops rather than 100. As a bonus, there's still rules for it in 10th Edition Legends.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Well fortunately in 10th any Space Marine legion can freely use the Ultramarines detachments, so the threat of OP Smurfs is pretty low.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

WH40k is an expensive game, but it isn’t the dice that are keeping Game Workshop in the black. You can pick up a cheap pack of D&D dice online for 15 cents a die. Most local gaming stores sell loose dice by the pound. Bring on the d20s in my opinion.

Super Waffle posted:

I'm no mathologist but would switching from d6 to d12's and just doubling stats be a place to start? Something tells me the statistics would be all wrong though.

It would impact the stats a little bit (d12s are more swingy than d6s), but it’s not like 40k is that delicately balanced to begin with. Going from hitting on 6s to hitting on 11s isn’t going to change much.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jan 25, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Much like how Basilisks completely overshadow the other artillery, Leontus and Creed overshadow the other officers. There’s hardly a reason to use other units if you want those capabilities.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Al-Saqr posted:

I am proud to present, my mound of pride, my trove of opportunity, my entire 100% completed Tyranid army.

Despair, for HIVE FLEET ALSAQR is here!

These all look amazing. Well done Al-Saqr!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Twin-linked makes sense to me: It's a weapon system with a doubled rate of fire but not separate targeting. The effect is that you're more likely to hit, but it's not as impactful as firing two distinct weapons. The assumption here is that either the twin-linked weapon only hits with one of the two barrels, or else they both hit but cause component overkill (i.e. a robotic limb can only be blown off once).

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 13, 2024

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Professor Shark posted:

I also have trouble with the marks on my “nice watch” and mostly wear my digital Timex

If it helps, one trick to wearing analog-style timepieces is to focus on the position of the arms rather than what they are pointing at. Glance at it and take a moment to consider what the orientation means. Allow yourself to be imprecise, and read the watch in 15 minute segments. 🕓🕦

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Freebooterz has also been an up and comer. They’ve got a clear identity even though they’re basically the “kitchen sink” of orcs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Battleline has been one of the enduring sore spots of 10th Edition. They tend to have poor synergy options, so their value really comes down to stats / cost (which generally compare poorly with the alternatives). To my mind, they would have been wise to have each of the Index Detachments focused on making Battleline-heavy armies competitive, while the Codex Detachments varied things up.