Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

StratGoatCom posted:

Yeah, uh, between the covid, the violence and the general decreptude of the school system right now I'd just cut the crap and homeschool if I had kids. Nthing the PPE poo poo too, surgicals exist to sop up poo poo flying out your mouth, and while that isn't without value, it's only a way to stop it going out from you rather then stop it in the first place.

if you CAN homeschool yeah but most kids in public schools are from families that cant afford for an adult to stop earning money for being alive expenses. spend a little money to upgrade school ventilation? uv air santizing units? rational sick policy? nah, the healthy kids will be fine, gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

pandy fackler posted:

i would rather get covid again and possibly mpox than go to burning man

ah but as far as we can tell burning men cant catch covid

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
i heard you like immunity, it would be a shame if something were to...happen to it...

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Regarde Aduck posted:

that's this thread you loving dipshit

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Insanite posted:

leftists: “covid is over. show me your smile, freak!”

this isn't cspam enough, try a harder ableist slur next time for the full cspam effect

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
cspam is a leftist forum for people who hate leftists, hence all the self-loathing and concern trolling, it's just a few cs majors on downtime from the dsa polycule

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

i thought i had sigs turned off

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Insanite posted:

“Better things aren’t possible.”
—Vladimir Lenin

lenin was a landlord checkmate tankies

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Bastard Tetris posted:

I’ve made literal millions of dollars combating a global pandemic
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

should be more than 6 lol

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Epitope posted:

I want to shout in real life but instead I'll digitally shout into the void, see this thread has good impacts too

The bushy beard guy who sits next to me at work's family is sick, tested positive. I hear his plan is to continue working and mask. I text:
[snip] and your plan is to mask. You know masking is only effective with a good fit right? Which requires shaving...

His reply:
I don't know if you heard but [snip] just tested positive for COVID with one of the at-home kits, so I'm actually not gonna be doing the PPE making with an N95, I'm gonna be doing the "protecting other people" masking with a surgical mask. I'm very exposed at this point so I'm not worried about further exposure anymore. Thanks for the tip though!

Today he's here and he and others are chatting unmasked in the break room for half an hour, then mask goes back on.

hailthefish posted:

yeah kinda feels like the long term plan for long covid is at this point to tell everyone that it's all in their head

the liberal mind (as observed in :911:) is trained for the performance, performative equality, performative allyship, performative caring, while doing nothing to change behavior or material conditions. Epitope's coworker has a family member that's positive, so he will perform like he cares about covid, but he still doesn't so he will converse and go out to eat and come to work while possibly positive with a disease that kills and debilitates people, and slip on the mask around people he knows the performance is required for social cohesion. which makes sense when you have to deal with people who care and go against what everyone is constantly told to do, to not worry about it, it's just an "uptick", covid is endemic, long covid isn't a big deal, there's nothing you can do but let things keep going as they are. it's easy to make this a simple individual moral judgement, (and i'll leave that up to you since you actually know this person and whether they are otherwise an ok person) but its a mountain of individual points were people will and are led down the path of covid denial or minimization in whatever form it takes. patience and compassion for those who are sick is all i can ever answer this with, no matter how angry someone i care about makes me when they treat this disease so callously. to those people around me and in my life i never hope they "find out" while dreading the high chances we will. i reserve my ire for the people who profit from our misery and disease, politically, financially, otherwise. covid, like any other natural disaster or disease, is a convenient tool of wealth inequality, exploitation, and acceptable death, the capitalist playbook is essentially the same.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
i always stayed home when sick,

coincidentally i've worked a ton of menial retail, food service, and office jobs that never seem to work out

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
hey at least you know there's no true permaban

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Zantie posted:

Something I've been wondering about, there's a section on the Washington state Department of Health dashboard that says:

"About 40% of people with COVID-19 shed the SARS-CoV-2 virus in their feces."

Any idea where this number comes from?

i know its around the corner from lemonade

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
lol at the genocide report and the spanish manlove post

the only thing i actually remember about his tenure as a gbs mod was him and his sister getting doxxed by mod-obsessed offsite weirdos so

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
the thing about celebrity illness and death etc is really i might question internally or even make a joke here or there but overall the "cover up" of covid when it comes to someone's personal health doesn't really bother me that much? but maybe im just conditioned like most to respect families and people in a time of loss or whatever, and covid consciousness aside people have always tended to be pretty tight-lipped about health specifics when a loved one is ill or dies. we know covid is everywhere and that it is still killing and doing other horrible things, so it doesn't bother me when they "cover it up" idk. that's just me

e: the performer issue is an aside thing, but from an exploited worker concern, as performers have to tour to keep being in music etc, unless you are an ultra celebrity, and then you have a performance to maintain to keep the industry looking like everything is fine.

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I don't like "covering up" covid because it normalizes that it's over for the sake of returning to business

early 2020 had one wrestler (adam page) with a storyline of being concerned with covid. now he wrestles in crowd soup every week.

captainbananas posted:

it's fine if families don't want to discuss it. this family does, according to the social media account of a guy who reports on wrestling professionally as far as I can tell. not everyone is in fact tight-lipped, though, particularly when the cause of death is seen as part of a broader, bigger, structural problem. like former NFLer and NHLer TBIs, for example

for me the whole "can't say it's covid" phenomenon with performers problem is more about the structural incentives. specifically, though not exclusively, the voiding of insurance coverage for cancelling work due to illness if and only if the illness is covid. and the downstream effects those incentives have, ranging from public perceptions of the material reality as it relates to ongoing harms to a very large number of people, to raging internet slapfights that are boring as poo poo, to me

yeah i mean specifically regarding families releasing details

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
i dont know whats with the surgical with you?

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Pillowpants posted:

bahahaha Sturgis

he aint the sharpest tool in the shed

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Poppers posted:

Sometimes enjoying yourself means not wearing a mask

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
c'est la vie

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Platystemon posted:

Is a negative result success?

we need a larger n

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

quote:

“If you’re dying of Covid today, you didn’t take precautions,” Becerra said during a POLITICO health summit in June, taking an oblique shot at Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis and other prominent Republicans who have advanced anti-vaccine theories. “If you listened to someone who said you didn’t have to take that precaution, it’s not just your fault, it’s the fault of that leader who doesn’t give you the best information. If leaders choose not to take care of their people, that’s on them.”

lol, lmao

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
you only die if you arent healthy :smuggo:

we did all we can ;)

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Gunshow Poophole posted:

can i turn into a zombie?

do I still have to go to wrok?

the original zombie myth was from the enslaved people of haiti who feared being raised from the dead and kept in slavery

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

blatman posted:

they had to treat something and covid is over so might as well treat a few cysts

i hear its a cystemic infection

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

RandomBlue posted:

The election is months away, nobody will remember if they ever knew at all. Covid causes memory loss.

you mean the flu right

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
mad everyone i know is wrecking their immune system for applebees and the mcu

sad everyone would be forced to wreck them at work anyway

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Louisgod posted:

I have to fly to Florida on Monday for a work conference and couldn't get out of it and it loving sucks. I'll probably be the only one wearing a mask the whole time too. gently caress Florida.

and you are right

good luck

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
everyone i know down here willingly spreads plague and hates you for not joining them

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

seems like a fine not big totally ok deal and the new normal

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

NeonPunk posted:

it counts when there's no more hosts left to propagate right?

mammals are on their way out anyway

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

:rip:

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Oracle posted:

The confusion is the point. They want people to throw up their hands and just do the easy thing to lower truancy numbers and get butts back in seats while maintaining the ability to say ‘well we TOLD YOU how to do it safely using your own judgement look it’s right here in black and white, sorry your judgement is poo poo’ when it inevitably blows up into a major outbreak.

when these outbreak hit they don’t even bother with I told you sos they’ll just continue to ignore it

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
ceased life while coincidentally sharing their body with billions of flu and coronavirus virions

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
sure glad all the doctors and nurses are willingly nuking their brains repeatedly and constantly spreading the means to do so. if anything could be considered a final nail in the coffin of the idea of "progress" its the unraveling of centuries of it within the realm of sanitary and safe health care. why even bother washing your hands before surgery? just soak them in bourbon, and leave the rest to God

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Baddog posted:

Only because more educated people were (for a time) not licking doorknobs completely willy loving nilly, so perhaps less viral load when infected.

Think that's all out the window now.

my undergrad research was on doorknob licking culture and i would like it if you did not slander the community thank you

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

NeonPunk posted:

Shoot I'm looking at the wastewater data and it's showing a decline. And yet I doubt that's the case because right now it does seem like we're on the rapid rise again. Several coworkers called out, my little sister and her boyfriend is sick and my mom is being inundated with tons of calls to get her sub for tons of teachers out sick (but it's okay because it'll be a light workload because tons of students are out sick too)

new normal! endemic! let’s blame lockdowns

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

hmm seems mild and over

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

mdemone posted:

no because it was over so fast. also I only have RATs from like two years ago

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mags
May 30, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

All it takes to erase Israel is a slice of watermelon? Somebody should let Hamas know.

watermelon kicks rear end