Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
A friend here in Australia posted a question on social media: "I'm due for my booster, should I get Pfizer or Moderna??" and a bunch of people weighed in with opinions for one or the other and I Kramered into the thread going "Perhaps I could interest you in a lovely refreshing shot of Novavax? :buddy:"

The Demilich posted:

Already did that but they want an ~article~

Spoiler: they're going to ignore the article as well and just do what they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bobtheconqueror posted:

Covid still sucks.

I just checked the official CDC site and they said it was mild and over and not a problem??? I'm gonna need a citation for that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

call_of_qthulhu posted:

bird flu is on its way

Swine flu is already here, it's just struggling to find a foot hold

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

CODChimera posted:

whatever happened with monkey pox?

It's still kicking around the US, there's a handful of new infections every month.

We thought we'd eradicated it here in Australia but we just had two new cases, although they were linked to international travel.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

RealityWarCriminal posted:

goon Bruce Hussein Daddy owns one of these

NGL, I think those commemorative coins are hilarious and I'm legit a bit jealous. If they weren't so costly I would have got one myself

I just looked and there's a bunch of them for sale on eBay for hundreds of dollars. It was tricky finding the right search words to generate a decent list because half of them are being sold by the types of idiots who avoid writing C@V!D-19 properly

Note that the second listing spelled it with a zero instead of a capital O

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 13:46 on Aug 16, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

remember when covid broke the camel's back and everyone stopped trusting any kind of institutional sources of information

People tried to counter anti-vaxx idiots by pointing out that we routinely give kids all sorts of other vaccines and that's never been a problem and that just led to GOP members in several states trying to introduce bills to wind back all the other childhood vaccinations.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

US$100 plus international shipping US$184, at the current conversion rate that's AUS$440 lol

Clearly an amazing bargain but I think I might pass

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lacrosse posted:

People I'm going to Desert Event with were talking about getting their mpox vaccines ahead of going but when I looked into it the still won't let AFAB people like me have one.

Luckily I plan to stay away from everyone and cover up my skin since I hate sunscreen.

Ah dammit why the hell are they still gatekeeping it, surely they must have ordered a larger reserve supply by now. It's been well over a year since the outbreak began back in May 2022

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

pandy fackler posted:

i would rather get covid again and possibly mpox than go to burning man

Ironically, if you wanted to catch covid and mpox at the same time your top three options are probably ComicCon, Sturgis or Burning Man :v:

Stay safe, Lacrosse :ohdear:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Stay safe, Ohio poop ghost

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

:itwaspoo:

quote:

“Data continues to be tracked for that program and is available upon request,” the spokesman wrote in an email Monday.

Hey Pillowpants you should email them and request the data, if only to see whether they'll actually release it to you

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

Like how do they even come up with the max load for bridges? By calculating from the materials in the construction and the design? Please. They should just build one then drive heavier and heavier trucks until it collapse then we can just rebuild it and place what we now know is the max load.

My brother works for a transportation company and had a similar problem with a newly constructed supermarket which had a ramp down to the unloading dock but they couldn't tell him what the roof clearance was, so it was unclear whether a semi trailer could actually fit down there. They actually requested he "just get one of your semis to back down there and see if it fits" and were pretty miffed when he lmaoed at that suggestion

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mawarannahr posted:

lol. when did this happen?

Pretty recently, just before the pandemic

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

redreader posted:

What's the current rapid test wisdom? Specifically:

1: is expired ok as long as the control line 'lights up'?
2: I've heard various things about when to test, that conflict. Do you test as soon as you get symptoms? wait a couple of days for it to be able to show up? etc? I know you're supposed to test at least twice over multiple days.
3: throat then nose swabs, is that correct? Do you cough first, blow your nose first, some other thing?

When I got covid last it took about 2 days to show up on a rapid test. A friend's girlfriend got it and it took 6 days of awful symptoms before she tested positive, testing every day. Now I read stuff online about testing positive before any symptoms at all, or on the first day of symptoms.

There's no real way to be certain. Even if specific omocron subvariants have been shown to show up on rapids sooner or later compared to previous subvariants (and this seems to be mostly anecdotal anyway) there's no way of knowing which subvariant you might've got, there's at least a dozen circulating right now.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pillowpants posted:

Find me an email and I will

Rosalind posted:

I wrote a request to the Nebraska DHHS Epi department general email for access to the wastewater data from my academic email since I couldn't identify a contactperson. I will let this thread know if I hear anything back.

Here's the email for the Nebraska governor's spokesperson who was quoted in the article: laura.strimple@nebraska.gov

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/@_abigailee_/video/7268402671399210283?_t=8evMyCpc4q3&_r=1

I still don't know how to embed tiktok videos through the mobile app

You just post the url that ends in the long string of digits, delete all the other stuff after that

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7268402671399210283

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Weekly Australia update: hospitalizations dropped again, 6.2% lower than the previous week.

Twitter source
The usual caveats apply: every state has different covid hospitalization reporting criteria, etc etc

Deaths are also down but the reporting there is super fucky. Here's a great example why: the entire state of Queensland (which has the third highest population of all Aus states) stopped reporting the exact weekly number of covid deaths a while ago and now they're only reporting the average of the reported deaths which occurred the previous week. But quite a lot of deaths take longer than a week to get reported and they apparently don't post updates so more than half of their covid deaths might be hidden by that lag

Twitter source

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

nexous posted:

where is chise to tell us how mild this new variant is

jk please dont post chise

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Greg Legg posted:

I am just grateful for all the advice when I was sick because I tested negative in less than a week. The only lingering symptom is that I've felt sort of electric since having covid. I can't really describe it and it only made sense to me after I learned about Tim Kaine's experience with covid. It's weird!

Oh poo poo, someone tell Gary Numan we finally found the answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1snv-0jCiWY

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rosalind posted:

Heard back from a lawyer at Nebraska DHHS about the state COVID wastewater records:

I will make a request to the Nebraska DOEE next I guess.

Holy poo poo it's even better than I expected :haw:

"The data is available on request"
"Okay, I request to see the data"
"[404 error]"

Edit: "After a diligent search, the agency has determined..." LOL LOL LOL

Edit 2: the not-so-subtle hint that "If you ask us again we'll bill you" was also pretty drat funny

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 17:04 on Aug 18, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rosalind posted:

They will learn that I am incredibly stubbornly persistent in the face of stupid bureaucracy.

Request to Nebraska DOEE sent.

I'm predicting they'll either pull the same "The princess is in another castle" maneuver or tell you they only release the data to certain organisations and sorry, you don't count.

The final step in this process is going to be contacting the news channels that reported the governor's representative's claims that the data was available on request and telling them that turned out not to be true but I'm guessing they'll have moved on bigly and won't care

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang posted:

It's a small cluster. This is what a virus does. Doesn't mean it will be of any significant value. Thousands of variants pop up every day.

The tiniest dollop of a cluster, thinly schmeared across four continents

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah I never really get serious poo poo about my mask but I'm also aware that's in large part due to me being a middleaged white dude

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Sunny Side Up posted:

Someone please label the early 90s on a graph of Russian life expectancy “beet shortage”

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/life-expectancy?country=~RUS

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

adebisi lives posted:

They must have really run out of beets during the Russian Civil war.

Fortunately they managed to turn that around with the 1918 Treaty of Beets-Litovsk

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Also note they somehow found a stock photo of a kid getting jabbed where they're not wincing or screaming in pain

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
BA.2.86 is starting to make headlines here in Australia. It was the 4th top story on the national broadcaster's news page this morning

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-20/audience-new-covid-variant-ba-2-86-pirola-omicron/102751366

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pingui posted:

It doesn't have to be permanent to achieve heard immunity.

Heard immunity is when they stick their fingers in their ears and pretend covid is over

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Phigs posted:

When you start running again start by running around the block or similar so you can more easily get home if you need to stop early.

Yeah there were stories in the earlier threads about people with PASC fatigue getting into trouble when they got stuck somewhere due to their exhaustion. I think one goon had to go rescue their MIL who got stuck halfway up a staircase and didn't have the strength to climb all the way up.
One of my friends had a similar issue with fatigue thanks to their PASC, they had to plan out their day so they could avoid stairs as much as possible. If they overexerted themselves they'd pretty much be bedridden for days after.

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 09:39 on Aug 21, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rosalind posted:

I'm also skeptical of the idea of paxlovid being something limited only to the "rich and connected." When my parents had COVID earlier this year, they called a free hotline from the state of Washington, were prescribed paxlovid via a telehealth appointment, and had a prescription waiting at their pharmacy within 30 minutes. Again all of this for free. They also offered free home delivery. I know many other states have similar programs that are still operating including NY and CA.

I'm in Australia where paxlovid is being gatekept to the very old or the very immunocompromised despite calls from epidemiologists for wider access. They actually eased up on the eligibility factors in April this year, previously people in their 60s had to have two risk factors to be eligible for paxlovid but they lowered that to just one risk factor. For people like me who are under 60 and don't have multiple risk factors it's pretty much impossible for me to get pax unless I could somehow convince an MD to prescribe it for me, and even then it'd cost over $1,000 out-of-pocket which I couldn't even afford.

I imagine it'd be pretty trivial for someone "rich and connected" to get their hands on pax, though.

Louisgod posted:

this legit happened and was pretty funny at the time, horse farmers/owners would get on social media and beg chuds to not buy ivermectin as all their local stores were running out and the horse owners legit needed them. I miss those stupid times.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Further on the horse paste discussion, a reminder that a doctor in Arkansas was running his own little captive research group by secretly treating all the covid positive inmates in a Washington County jail with ivermectin

quote:

Four inmates at an Arkansas jail have filed a federal lawsuit after they say medical staff gave them the anti-parasitic drug ivermectin to treat COVID-19 without telling them what it was. The inmates said they were told the medicines they were taking were "vitamins," "antibiotics" or "steroids."

Federal health authorities and leading medical experts warn that ivermectin should not be used to treat the coronavirus, but a small group of doctors and a chorus of right-wing figures have endorsed the drug for COVID-19 patients.

The complaint names Washington County Sheriff Tim Helder, the Washington County Detention Center, Dr. Robert Karas and his medical practice, Karas Health Care.
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/18/1073846967/arkansas-inmates-ivermectin-lawsuit-covid-19

That's just one example of a doctor prescribing ivermectin or hydroxychloroquine, there were a bunch more posted in the older threads. There were also a bunch of bullshit studies that were being used by the pro-ivermectin/hydroxychloroquine crowd(I think there was a big study out of Pakistan that was getting quoted a lot?) as well as similar studies for palm oil and other bullshit cures

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Animal-Mother posted:

We have the tools. (they are shovels)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
One of my friends who has long covid caught a "mild cold", their only additional symptom is a slightly sore throat but they've still been bedridden for days. They'd pretty much been able to manage their lc fatigue on a day to day basis but this extra little thing just flattened them.
E: there's a good chance it'll turn out to be covid yet again, they don't bother masking

nexous posted:

we don’t really have a choice, do we? “get a second opinion” is something people who have never had to get a second opinion say.

insurance won’t cover it, you’ll end up waiting at least 3 months for a non referred appointment. so you just hope the dr you got referred to knows what they are doing, isn’t having a bad day, etc.

Yeah that recent talk about "If your doctor won't prescribe paxlovid just go get a second opinion" was pretty bad in that respect. Pax is only effective if you start it within 5 days from first developing symptoms, how on earth are people supposed to find a new PCP and secure an appointment inside that timeframe

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Aug 23, 2023

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

hailthefish posted:

i'm summarizing the nonsense my insane chud parents relay to me :shrug:

My Dad is exactly the same, these last three years he's had several "severe colds" that lasted up to a month but even though he's never once tested for covid he's still absolutely adamant that he's never had covid. He also swears that he's really careful about masking but he only wears surgical masks in stores and he's been maskless everywhere else, including his weekly visits to friends.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Baddog posted:

-"wear a mask" at the top of their email instructions was very dated, lol. I was the only one.

Speaking of things being dated, I had to visit an office earlier today and their sign-in sheet had tick boxes for people to attest that they did not have cold symptoms or had recently tested positive for covid. I was also the only person in the entire building wearing a mask

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm still LOLing about the tiny elevator I found a few weeks back with the "Maintain safe distancing!!!" sign with the "safe" distance altered to only 1.4m (roughly 4.5 feet) because it wasn't physically possible for people to stand further apart than that inside it

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

We used to have signs absolutely everywhere warning everyone "Keep 1.5m distance at all times!!! Oh god, the covid will get you if you get any closer!!!" but what happens if your building has a tiny elevator and it's not physically possible for two people to get inside it and move 1.5m away from each other?

Life finds a way!

Elevator too small for the 6' rule? Just use the 4.5' rule instead!! :eng101:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Schmeichy posted:

Pharma: where lives saved is a distant second to dollars earned.

My big crack-ping moment over this was the financial news articles heaping scorn on Gilead for finding a cure for Hepatitis C and ruining the lucrative Hep-C pharma market.

quote:

How Gilead Is Paying The Price For Actually Curing A Disease

ALLISON GATLIN
11:46 AM ET 03/10/2017

When biotechnology giant Gilead Sciences (GILD) bought Pharmasset in 2011, it inherited a compound then known as 7977, which Wall Street analysts expected to bring in $3.6 billion in peak sales by 2018.

But just three years later, 7977 launched under the name Sovaldi at north of $1,000 a pill. It raked in $10.3 billion in 2014 sales alone and proved to be a nearly foolproof cure for hepatitis C virus, or HCV. Over three years, Gilead's flagship HCV drugs pulled in more than $44 billion. They also doubled the company's net margins, pushing them past the 50% level at one point in mid-2014.

Trouble is, Gilead didn't just treat hepatitis C. For the most part, it cured patients after about three months. Sovaldi had an unheard-of success rate of up to 95% in some hepatitis C patients, and its follow-on treatment, Harvoni, proved more effective in some cases. Eventually, the patient pool was bound to get smaller, and it has. Sovaldi and Harvoni sales fell a respective 24% and 34% in 2016.

"Think of it like an opening of a blockbuster movie in Hollywood and people wait in line," RBC analyst Michael Yee told Investor's Business Daily. "Thus, there are less coming in right now than before."

Now the pressure is on Gilead to produce another big hit to drive its growth. And for biotech investors, its story is a cautionary tale to look beyond the initial fanfare of a hot new drug and consider the costs should it deliver on its promise.

Hepatitis — unlike HIV, Alzheimer's disease and many types of cancer — can be a short-term temporary condition, said Kevin Young, Gilead's chief operating officer, on the company's Feb. 7 earnings conference call with analysts. Gilead says fewer patients are starting on HCV regimens and those that do are healthier than past patients.

"And thanks to Harvoni, (HCV) can be cured in as little as eight weeks in a genotype 1 patient," Young said, referring to the most common type of hepatitis C.
Sentiment Returns To 2011

Gilead confirmed worries of the hepatitis C slowdown on Feb. 7 after releasing its fourth-quarter earnings
. Shares toppled 8.6% the next day, nearly touching a three-year low. Whispers of the looming dip in HCV drug sales had plagued Gilead stock for the better part of a year.
When they realised they'd hosed up by potentially killing off the Hep-C cash cow they tried to profit off it as best they could, pricing the new treatment just below the cost of the other effective treatment (a liver transplant) which made it the most expensive drug in the US at the time

quote:

Harvoni launched with an even bigger $94,500 price tag. Gilead took its lumps in headlines for the price of both, but RBC analyst Yee says the price tags weren't particularly egregious, considering prior treatments and costs.

"The high cost of treatment was not high relative to the existing prior therapy and was significantly better," he told IBD in an email. "The costs have all come down by 50% given competition and other rebating."

The price has since dropped fairly dramatically but even though we've had an effective cure for Hep-C for a decade now the US still sees 15,000 preventable deaths caused by Hep-C annually because many people in the US who catch Hep-C still can't access this treatment

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gunshow Poophole posted:

yeah Australia did it well for like what almost two years? and the openederup and immediately got destroyed haha

Yeah our openerup point just happened to coincide with the start of the omicron wave and hooboy did we ever make up for lost time

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...ositivity=false

nexous posted:

well at least they killed way less of their citizens per capita in the last 3 years

Yep, we really managed to keep the deaths to a minimum until the start of 2022. Of course since then our per capita rate of covid deaths has been pretty much exactly the same as the US and the UK

https://ourworldindata.org/explorer...ositivity=false

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

SardonicTyrant posted:

We are like the shitposter who shits and then lives in our own poo poo.

The second arrow of shitposting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Oldest Man posted:

It's not a common symptom but COVID can do a bunch of hosed up stuff to your mouth https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8762203/

Yeah, even way back in 2021 whenever someone came into a thread and went "Oh yeah well I've got [random symptom], does that mean I have covid??? :smug:" I could usually find an article or a paper which linked it to covid, so the answer was "It might not be covid, but you can't rule it out. :eng101:" Covid can cause a whole lot of random poo poo to happen to your body

Itchy feet? Yeah, might be covid
Broke out in hives? Yeah, might be covid
Tinnitus? Yeah, might be covid
Fingernails got a weird texture or white lines? Yeah, might be covid
Confusion, psychosis, face blindness? Yeah, might be covid

Edit: there were also reports of people's eyes changing colour or developing UV bioluminescence but it looks like that was because they were taking the influenza antiviral Favipiravir which got emergency authorisation for use in treating covid in a handful of countries

Snowglobe of Doom has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Aug 26, 2023