Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thinking about four months ago when I could go across the street and get a rapid + PCR test done in 10 minutes as I also try to remember how close I was standing to my now-infected coworker at the recent outdoor event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Al! posted:

as long as you cover your cough with your hand you should be fine

Please don't give bad/incomplete advice, if you cough in your hand you should wash both hands afterwards. But ideally you should cough into the crook of your elbow so we can see your smiling face again more quickly.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Aug 16, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

harrygomm posted:

i know it’s overkill and only tangential to covid but the aranet4 has been brought up before here. looks like it’s 20% off on their site right now and this listing on amazon is even a bit cheaper still

It's a useful device. I learned from it that my apartment has really lovely ventilation - a horribly loud fan in the kitchen vent hood that can lower CO2 by maybe 100 ppm per hour, and one in the bathroom that runs automatically but doesn't do much beyond venting shower steam. 12 hours with closed windows and 2 people inside gets CO2 up from 5-600 to 1800 ppm. Obviously opening the windows clears it out but it sucks to have to do it when it's hot/humid/smoky/lovely AQI outside which for some reason is happening more often lately.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

NYT asks "How Bad Is a Second (or Third or Fourth) Case of Covid?"

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/17/well/live/covid-reinfection.html (note the live well; live your best life!)

quote:

Doctors and scientists who study Covid-19 agree that for most people, getting infected for a second — or third or fourth — time is basically inevitable.

The first loving sentence is complete garbage! gently caress you!!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Real Mean Queen posted:

Sure, but the second, third and fourth sentences are probably better because you build up immunity

lol. Either that or get permanent brain damage.

(there's a commenter who described taking every precaution but still catching covid seven times and having to give up her successful psychology practice due to long covid brain fog but I refuse to believe all of that)

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Some people think covid is airborne, others just want to wash their hands of the whole affair.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I feel like there's a fairly broad spectrum of Americans who could be convinced that powerful disinfecting light inside their bodies will be effective, whether it's true or not.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

bedpan posted:

this is antivax

How so?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/scottlincicome/status/1693271300460962195

Food for thought about the unintended consequences of the very real lockdowns that must still be happening somewhere (in my imagination).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Let me be clear about a couple of things: you should not post about giving prescription medications to other people, or about your plans to hoard medications. If you do those things, you're really better off not mentioning it on the internet at all. And before somebody asks "what about getting soon-to-expire doses from a licensed medical professional", in case that comes up again in the fall, as long as you're not self-administering that's pretty clearly different.

Skyl3lazer posted:

How do you get it if you dont have positive tests or anything to show? Even online I've had the doctors ask for some sort of proof whatsoever.

I did not know this, but apparently per this letter from the FDA, you do not necessarily need a positive test, but a diagnosis:

quote:

In its February 1, 2023 revision, FDA revised the scope of authorization to no longer require positive results of direct SARS-CoV-2 viral testing. As revised, the scope of authorization required, in addition to other requirements, that adults and pediatric patients (12 years of age and older weighing at least 40 kg) have a current diagnosis of mild-to-moderate COVID-19. Corresponding changes were also made to the authorized Fact Sheets.

If you don't have a diagnosis or a positive test, are not Dr. Michael Thomas Osterholm, and want Paxlovid or some other medication anyway, I'm sure you can find advice on doing so outside of these forums.

Is that all fair?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mrbotus posted:

so is the reason this thread is so shitted up with trolls and drama now because everyone is forced to get infected by their family, job situation etc? like sour grapes?

it doesn't matter to me personally since there's nothing i need other that I don't already know (wear a mask), but it definitely makes the thread less interesting. i reckon it will die on its own similar to the dd thread

Amongst other things, there is a SAD thread which naturally invites more scrutiny and occasionally new posters. The answer is not to lash out at real or imaginary posting enemies but to post normally, report anything you find egregious, and put anyone you find especially annoying on ignore if they bother you that much.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lib and let die posted:

i'm going to make a very blanket statement here as a former restaurant worker:

if you lie about allergies, gently caress you

And lald, you know this is a really stupid response to someone who didn't even suggest nefariously lying about having seasonal allergies (or pet, dust, whatever), conditions that effect I'm guessing a majority of the population to some degree and the mitigations for which mostly just involve spending a few hundred bucks to filter air with virtually no drawbacks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

Yeah there's nothing specifically wrong with a DO they just spend a year learning to lay on hands.

I have never once witnessed my DO give up even 5 HP from his healing pool to cure a disease. Bullshit.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

It's midnight, C-SPAM the SAD thread is closed for now and so I hope you can all make more relevant posts and/or funny jokes about infectious diseases in the coming day rather than generating umpteen reports about forum/thread enemies who, for the most part, are not posting here anymore anyway.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Epitope posted:

I think I'm going to join team "close the cspam covid thread." The virus is currently ripping through friends family and coworkers, and I'm tired of believing there's anything that can be done about it. Ignorance is bliss

A lot of my otherwise smart coworkers who abandoned precautions in the last year are getting it now, some for the first time. My bold prediction is that the next 6-8 weeks will be critical to determine if anyone does something about it in the subsequent 6-8 weeks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A colleague of mine had to jump through a bunch of hoops to first get married (because common law isn't a thing in most of the world) and then quarantine for ... a few weeks? before he could start his job in Japan.

Meanwhile, other colleagues in Western Australia were extremely mad that they couldn't travel back home for months after vaccines became available there, back in the heady days of fearing getting infected in a country where you might not have health insurance.

Anyway it's all starting to come back, the hazy memories of lockdowns and banging on pots and pans. I found a picture of myself in a surgical mask the other day because we had gently caress all besides a couple of Moldex valved N95s for home repair poo poo.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 03:44 on Aug 24, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There was a reasonable stretch of posting about COVID until about a couple of pages ago and I'd like to get back to that and avoid relitigating drama from months ago unless it's really incredibly relevant to the present. To that end:

Shiroc posted:

In my brief period as IK, I had queued longer probes on dongicus, who was openly trolling the thread, calling us r-slurs, going on complete breakdowns about how we don't get enough pussy and was told that it would just escalate things to probe people beyond what the rules said. This led to me quitting when it just built up into this absurd thing with posting Mega Tard over and over and WAIST getting an avatar mocking the death of his uncle and feeling like me and Trixie were just getting tons of heat without any support.

I'm sorry if you have lingering resentment over your time as IK, but I don't really know what can be done about that.

Dongicus hasn't posted here since the reboot a week ago. If they begin to spam the thread relentlessly again, or post anything gross or rulebreaking, I'll do something about it.

Shiroc posted:

I feel like posting a screenshot of a report and giving it 30 days or giving trashy owl a week for getting frustrated and making a couple dumb posts completely runs against the whole "disproportionate" poo poo vylekin gave me and that people in this thread keep being told we are obligated to be on our best behavior when people can go around making up whatever dumbass lore about the thread and individuals that they want in the fractal drama threads.

I bring up the immunocompromised point because while I do think some of these posts are bad, I think given that our whole society is throwing people under the bus to die, understanding that actual people are writing these posts and showing a little loving grace to their lives would be better instead of insulting LC entries and way longer punishments than the posts can actually call for.

Look, silicone thrills was mostly posting reasonably until then, but claiming someone wants to genocide immunocomprised people by closing a thread is ludicrous, in a report or otherwise. It could have even been a funny and much more accurate point had it said "lockdown" instead of genocide. Lashing out at the wrong poster for posting a fairly innocuous video game screenshot is also not typical posting. You can argue about the severity of the punishments and mitigating factors or whatever else but they were not dismissable incidents, let alone valuable valuable contributions.

Now about current issues:

- are there posters who want this thread gassed? Sure, you can find comments like that in SAD, the forum dedicated to posting feedback of that nature.
- are there brigading outsider trolls running amok in this thread since it was rebooted? Not really. There was certainly an uptick in reports when the SAD thread was reopened, but very few people actually came here to post, and I don't think any stayed. Not that it really matters, since nobody needs permission to post here.
- are there shitloads of reports? Yes, they and they are no more interesting to litigate than to read in context. Too bad for forums janitors, but I have a hard time believing that many people actually enjoy these extended slapfights.
- does this thread need special protections due to handling a sensitive topic? I think it already gets more than the average C-SPAM thread. Demanding that emptyquotes or lol/lmaos stop is not going to happen, though. Again, ignore posters if you find them that annoying, and report judiciously.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

tuyop posted:

I’m not trying to call you out. I still see surgicals around every so often and it’s always confused me because it’s like taking a risk so you can be less comfortable.

Does anyone find surgicals uncomfortable? I mean they leak out the sides and the nose bands don't seal as tightly as most (K)N95s so the only annoying thing for me (besides the "not working well" aspect) is that they're tighter to the lips than stiffer masks.

The Oldest Man posted:

It's not a common symptom but COVID can do a bunch of hosed up stuff to your mouth https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8762203/

A friend of mine had awful mouth sores the first time they got COVID around a year ago. That link says they're rare but there are other papers specifically about oral lesions (not sure how important the "mucosal" qualifier is).

At that point I hadn't heard anything about mouth sores being a common symptom so I didn't know if that's why some people were recommending listerine or other potentially antiviral mouthwashes.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rated PG-34 posted:

the disdain for ‘anti-vaxxers’ was always dumb because the vaccine doesn’t stop spread and the risk calculation is nebulous especially for younger people as the vaccine is not without side-effects

Why are you putting anti-vaxxers in scare quotes like they don't exist and haven't since succeeded in stoking unfounded fears of actually sterilizing childhood vaccines that nearly eradicated the diseases they targeted?

The risk calculation for young people being nebulous may have been debatable while approval for under 18s was still underway but luckily there's plenty of evidence now that the risk for myocarditis is lower for the second dose (I assume that means of the original primary vaccine schedule) than for an actual COVID infection. "Bbbut it's not sterilizing" well good thing there's another study posted here practically every week that mrna vaccines reduce the risk of many of the other bonus COVID features that can hospitalize or kill you beyond myocarditis.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Aug 26, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Whooping and coughing as I successfully lobby for the return of measles, mumps and rubella

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Rated PG-34 posted:

except you’re not guaranteed to get Covid but you are guaranteed the vaccine with the mandates. never mind the disingenuous public messaging that the vaccines are perfectly safe

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I was hoping to hear a truly creative leftist/anticapitalist argument against vaccination but this is some tepid poo poo.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

nexous posted:

why do you love vaccines at this point? it was an enormous bait and switch. the mRNA tech improved nothing, caused all sorts of anti vax sentiment, and we shitcanned things like novavax because politicians wanted their Pfizer stock to go up

Novavax wasn't shitcanned, it's supposed to become available next month along with pfizer/moderna.

blue squares posted:

please help, friends. hosting a baby shower for my wife’s coworker. she ate lunch yesterday with someone who tested positive this morning. trying to figure out whether my wife could be contagious already tonight. going to tell everyone regardless, but trying to decide if we need to cancel preemptively or just let folks decide. no one she works with wears a mask anyway

I would personally not risk infecting anyone if I thought I had been exposed, let alone someone expecting.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Still wishing there were a politically acceptable third way between zero covid and open biden, maybe it's just missing a catchy name not like choose your own covid.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I think Kafka was Bohemian.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I would simply manufacture more medicine.

And if I've learned anything from Tradle, it's that every developed country in the world exports a significant amount of packaged medicaments.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

It is a natural experiment. The researchers looked at data available, but did not create the data and the only reason that data was collected in the first place, appears to be the Connecticut ACLU making a ruckus:

This makes it sound like the researchers were "just" making what use of unethical data they could, but looking at the press release for the paper which provides a lot more context, they're making considerably more dubious choices than that:

quote:

The study was performed within the Connecticut Department of Correction system to understand whether the immunity gained after vaccination or a prior infection was less effective or “leaky” in situations where people are exposed to high levels of the virus, said Margaret Lind, lead author of the paper and an associate research scientist at Yale School of Public Health.

Answering this question during the pandemic has been a major challenge because “it’s really hard to find a population, such as the residents of the Connecticut Department of Correction, where we know the type of exposure somebody has and we know their vaccination and prior infection status,” Lind said.

Dr. Byron Kennedy, chief medical officer for the Connecticut Department of Correction and associate clinical professor at the Yale School of Public Health, added, “We had a unique opportunity to answer this question because the Department of Correction had mounted an intensive COVID-19 testing program and we were identifying and isolating infected individuals.”

The researchers tracked infections among 15,444 residents of Connecticut correctional facilities between June 2021 and May 2022, when the state experienced two epidemic waves due to the emergence of the COVID-19 Delta and Omicron variants. They also determined which people had resided with a COVID-19-positive cellmate and, as a result, had high exposure to the COVID-19 virus.

The study found that during the Delta and Omicron epidemic waves, immunity acquired after a vaccination, prior infection, and both vaccination and infection (“hybrid immunity”) was weaker when residents were residing with an infected inmate.

The study's findings underscore the importance of the state of Connecticut’s efforts to protect its incarcerated population during the pandemic. During the two epidemic waves, residents had a 5 to 10 times increased risk of being infected when they shared a cell with an infected individual and a two to four times increased risk of being infected if there was an infected individual in the same cell block. The majority of infections were detected by the Department of Correction’s contact tracing program, which rapidly identified and tested contacts of infected individuals in cells and cell blocks. “The success of contact tracing was a critical element in keeping our population safe in this high-risk congregate setting during the pandemic,” said Kennedy.

Biology Professor Derek Cummings, a co-senior author of the paper and associate director of the Emerging Pathogens Institute at the University of Florida, added: “More studies are needed to understand whether the same phenomenon of leaky protection may be occurring among vaccinated and previously infected people in the other congregate settings, such as hospitals and nursing homes, and in the community during mass gatherings.”

“We suspect that leaky protection may be the norm for immunity to many infectious diseases of public health importance,” said Dr. Albert Ko, the Raj and Indra Nooyi Professor of Public Health at the Yale School of Public Health and co-senior author of the paper. “This study is a good example of leveraging collaboration between state government and a university to answer a difficult yet fundamental question on how immunity to COVID-19 works, in addition to guiding how we protect our vulnerable populations,” added Ko, who was also co-chair of Governor Ned Lamont’s Reopen Connecticut Advisory Group during the height of the COVID-19 epidemic.

Personally I would have done those other studies in non-carceral settings first and not patted the Connecticut Department of Corrections on the back for a job well done with the contact tracing that, as far as I can tell, did not actually prevent infections in any way.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Platystemon posted:

COVID response confounds SARS expert

Aug 24, 2023

Buy this doctor an account.

This guy's heart is probably in the right place but uh, saying that COVID-19 mortality is in the "single digits" and that the odds of getting long covid are up to over 140% are not terribly helpful.

He did mention Dr. Tara Moriarty and https://covid19resources.ca. I heard of the former before. She studies... or studied blood-borne diseases, particularly Lyme disease, and is cross-appointed in a faculty of dentistry. She got some media attention for compiling estimates of excess mortality* a couple of years ago and publishing them through the Royal Society of Canada (essentially an academic social club and not at all a peer reviewed journal), after having published not much of anything since 2017. So a lot of people are naturally skeptical and wondering if she's much like those physicists who suddenly became epidemiological data scientists in 2020. Now I guess she has a few more friends and put together a website with somewhat janky visualizations?

If I sound too skeptical, consider this page: https://covid19resources.ca/public/vaccine-resources/. Am I missing something or does it contain literally nothing besides the site header, footer, a page-specific logo, and this tiny quote in the middle: "Please note: this resource was last updated in January 2022". ???

The COVID forecast page for Canada looks like this:

The advice is never going to stop being relevant but I'm not sure who any of the rest of that is meant to convince or help. I also don't know what they mean by lowest point of the pandemic but I guess it's July-August 2020, which is by now a gaping void in public consciousness.

*Statistics Canada does this, but slowed down the pace of updates in 2020 for some reason.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

Idk if this is useful to anyone, but considering the state of testing...

quote:

Right now, the service is cash-only as we prepare to bill third-party insurance plans, but we’re glad to be accepting health savings accounts and plan to accept third-party coverage in the future. Currently, the price starts around $133 depending on the service provided – you just don't have to make any additional trips after.

:thanks:. Wonder if they can prescribe Paxlovid though.

Speaking of the unclear phrasing around whether those are three separate tests or one, are there any other flu + cold + covid tests even trying to get FDA approval besides the existing-in-limbo Luciras?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

RxPass is not on the nose enough until they offer discounted season passes, bespoke DLC and cosmetic microtransactions.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

Why do I have a feeling that otc narcan is going to make it much easier for cops to acquire data about who purchases it and how often so they can shortlist people to surveil for drug crimes

Probably because dystopian prescription drug credit score systems already exist and it's not a stretch to imagine them extending to OTC drugs that need some paperwork but not an Rx.

quote:

On the most basic level, when a doctor queries NarxCare about someone like Kathryn, the software mines state registries for red flags indicating that she has engaged in “drug shopping” behavior: It notes the number of pharmacies a patient has visited, the distances she’s traveled to receive health care, and the combinations of prescriptions she receives.

Beyond that, things get a little mysterious. NarxCare also offers states access to a complex machine-learning product that automatically assigns each patient a unique, comprehensive Overdose Risk Score. Only Appriss knows exactly how this score is derived, but according to the company’s promotional material, its predictive model not only draws from state drug registry data, but “may include medical claims data, electronic health records, EMS data, and criminal justice data.” At least eight states, including Texas, Florida, Ohio, and Michigan—where Kathryn lives—have signed up to incorporate this algorithm into their monitoring programs.

For all the seeming complexity of these inputs, what doctors see on their screen when they call up a patient’s NarxCare report is very simple: a bunch of data visualizations that describe the person’s prescription history, topped by a handful of three-digit scores that neatly purport to sum up the patient’s risk.

At the time of her hospitalization, Kathryn owned two flat-coated retrievers, Bear and Moose. Both were the kind of dog she preferred to adopt: older rescues with significant medical problems that other prospective owners might avoid. Moose had epilepsy and had required surgery on both his hind legs. He had also been abused as a puppy and had severe anxiety. Bear, too, suffered from anxiety.

The two canines had been prescribed opioids, benzodiazepines, and even barbiturates by their veterinarians. Prescriptions for animals are put under their owner's name. So to NarxCare, it apparently looked like Kathryn was seeing many doctors for different drugs, some at extremely high dosages. (Dogs can require large amounts of benzodiazepines due to metabolic factors.) Appriss says that it is “very rare” for pets’ prescriptions to drive up a patient’s NarxCare scores.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't loving want the center-libertarian variant.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

So what I'm reading is this has the potential to be a great underdog story, or just another disappointing child that couldn't rise above its circumstances.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hearty lol at the "general waning of public interest in testing at all". I wonder how that happened??

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

StratGoatCom posted:

Only six hours? should be a day at least.

A longer break will be discussed, in the meantime yes, no ghoulish "actually pestilence is good" poo poo from anyone else, thanks.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I hope COVID had a nice vacation in Iberia or wherever. Unfortunately I can't do anything but lol sadly at the second half:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Lowering expectations ftw.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

fosborb posted:

okay but what if we also still let some horses do whatever?

What I'm hearing is that there are multiple horses in the hospital and they should be allowed to choose the precautions that are right for them.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yes, exactly.

Unfortunately, I think we're still not allowed to post unedited Gary Larson comics (this is not a joke, he's apparently very litigious and got a comic thread sent upstate).

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

Now your old pal Pingui here naturally won't be getting a booster; I've got my singular wildtype booster 21 months ago and that must be good enough for anyone not 50+ :shepface:

lol. I tried to find some commentary, any on the UK's policy (after getting not much about Europe generally) and found this from January:

quote:

CLAIM: The United Kingdom is banning anyone under the age of 50 from getting COVID-19 vaccines.

AP’S ASSESSMENT: False. While the country will stop widely providing the vaccine to those under 50 next month, anyone deemed to have a clinical need, such as those at risk of severe illness, as well as frontline healthcare workers and caregivers, will still be able to get the shot.

THE FACTS: Social media users are claiming the UK is prohibiting any and all people under the age of 50 from getting inoculated against COVID-19.

Many are sharing a story from a blog known for spreading COVID misinformation with a headline that reads: “U.K. Becomes Latest Country to Ban Covid Boosters for Under-50s.”

5 pinnochios!! Oh it's 65+ now, not 50+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

Guess that's fine then. Everything is fine.
:tif:

Archived link: https://archive.li/qqRUe

Good news!

quote:

There is no evidence that any of the variants in circulation cause more severe disease or evade immunity adroitly enough to render vaccines ineffective.

A wonderfully flexible sentence that you can read however you want.