Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

The poors can have their shots if they want, but they have to wait for everyone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Zugzwang posted:

Fortunately bed nets protect you most when you're least woke, so we should be able to get FL and TX onboard with them pretty easily

that's a lockdown.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

bedpan posted:

I would like to avoid getting COVID

Apologies in advance to the people who think this is a controversial position to have

this is a lockdown

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

genericnick posted:

What was the thread favorite travel air filter again. Might have some use for one pretty soon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B096RQBXJP/

I have one of these. It fits in my carry on backpack (just barely without a whole lot of room for other stuff) and works well.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Louisgod posted:

so when is this new god drat shot going to be widely available

Not until after the most commonly spreading variants evolve around any immunity gained from the shot.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

tuyop posted:

does that mean they’ll handle bicycles like other vehicles, women like other humans, healthcare and housing like other needs, etc…

Yes in that you will not be able to afford bicycles, housing, or healthcare and women will be treated poorly just like other humans.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

U-DO Burger posted:

stupid sexy virus

feel like we're doing nothing at all!

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's an insanely dumb thing to be ideologically partisan about, vaccines are unarguably the greatest advancement made by modern medicine. It's like being mad about clean water or food without toxins in it.

FDA inspections are way down and more people are getting sick from food. The water is still bad in Flint and other parts of the country. Only a matter of time before that is pushed as a good thing if it already isn't.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Don't need to identify pandemics if we're just going to ignore them

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

It's an insanely dumb thing to be ideologically partisan about, vaccines are unarguably the greatest advancement made by modern medicine. It's like being mad about clean water or food without toxins in it.

https://twitter.com/this_is_mallory/status/1700134602730561959

Optometry is actually a scam!

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I don't know about pet to human spread, but unless it was an emergency I wouldn't (knowingly) bring my cat to a vet that had an active covid outbreak. My poor cat doesn't deserve to get rona'd even if she wouldn't spread it to me.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Dr. Derek posted:

Should I grab the just released vaccine or should I wait for novavax?

yes.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Is the moderna shot still bigger? More vaxxx = more titers = more good

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

The Oldest Man posted:

According to the new CDC slides, the updated 23/24 shot dosing for >12 years are 0.5mL for Moderna and 0.3mL for Pfizer, which I think is the same as it has been. The pediatric dosing for Moderna appears to be 0.25mL while Pfizer is still 0.3.

e: it's on slides 141 and 142 here if you're curious https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2023-09-12/11-COVID-Wallace-508.pdf

Getting that jumbo Moderna shot for maximum titers :hellyeah:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Petey posted:

I talk about this with some of my friends. There are definitely people that I know, often with an anxiety diagnosis, whose response to Covid (or nowadays planning around Covid) seems to be different from mine in this way. I think I tend to experience it as a series of if-then flowcharts and analytic thinking; no, I'm not "afraid" of getting Covid when I wear a mask to the gym, and I know that if I got it I would likely be fine, but when I balance the probabilities across the flowcharts, the expected value benefit of wearing a mask to the gym is higher than of not wearing it.

That's not how most people think. Most people are more vibe based or just look at what everyone else is doing, even the ones that do think like that don't have the information that would lead them to realizing that catching covid is actually, bad.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
CVS cancelled my appointment for today "due to unforeseen circumstances" and didn't have any new ones available until Saturday. Got one for Wednesday at Walgreens. Hopefully it doesn't get cancelled too.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Pingui posted:

Nothing new for the thread, but the updated vaccine rollout is so amazingly lovely it bears repeating:

It's ok people will be so excited for new vaccines that they'll deal with all this bullshit and uptake will be better than the bivalent when it was free and easy!

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

NeonPunk posted:

I know you're joking but that is a real psychological thing that marketing do use to get people to buy things. Having something free and easy to get make people think it's a lower quality while something that cost $ and is gatekept slightly means it's a much better item. The trick is to not make it too expensive and hard to get because that would just make lot of people do a 180 and completely turn off the product.

Maybe if it wasn't initially free it would have worked, but I don't see people getting excited to pay for something/deal with insurance for something that used to be free.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

article Pingui posted posted:

During previous Covid-19 vaccination campaigns, when the government was in charge of buying, distributing and monitoring the vaccines, Kates says Americans got a taste of what universal health care could look like, and everyone had access.

“Now, what’s happened with commercialization is, we’re back to health care as we know it, and its challenges and its complexities,” she said.
(..)
“How many millions of people are going to try to get vaccinated and then just get discouraged or upset and then just not get it?” she asked.

You know that think that worked surprisingly well? We're getting rid it :rubby:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
They fixed the part that was bad (tiered eligibility) and broke the part that worked well (free and easy once you got an appointment)

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Both appointments I've made to get booster have been canceled and now I can't even find a new appointment :rubby:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

One of the big suburban school districts here has canceled classes for two days in a row because they can't get enough bus drivers. No reflection on what all of this implies of course, it's just another thing that happens now like houses exploding randomly or people in their thirties having strokes.

An old college friend of mine just died from a heart attack. He was 38 and in good shape. Just a normal thing that happens.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Soap Scum posted:

e: oh and yeah apparently school refusal is going through the roof which is scary/sad/bad

https://twitter.com/USATODAY/status/1659491757468385283

Surely having a heavily armed cop show up to forcibly bring the children to school will ease their anxiety!

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
lol the one positive of all my mRNA booster appointments getting canceled was that I would be able to get novavax and now lmao

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

euphronius posted:

look at this PTO email I got :

HAPPY TUESDAY! First of all, it's cold and flu season so your [school] could use TISSUES! LOTS OF TISSUES! Please deliver to the school

lol please bring us tissues for our school full of sick children

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Finally not being able to find a mRNA shot pays off!

Unless of course I am unable to get a novavax appointment either :rubby:,

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

mdemone posted:

what I'm hearing is "get both"

:hmmyes:

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

icantfindaname posted:

Did CVS or walgreens ever stock the original novavax? I had to get it from a public health department, and I kind of suspect I'll have to do the same this time

I got my original flavor novavax from Costco. Of course by the time I got it they stopped stocking it when I wanted to get my 2nd dose. Hopefully they stock the new one.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

NeonPunk posted:

It's not stupid if you approach it from another angle.

It's the most brilliant and amazing system for grifting money and distributing $$$ to shareholders.

the purpose of a system is what it does.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Thoguh posted:

5G trip report. I did it at a CVS in a target so it wouldn’t just be sick people and stale air but lol they had me go in to a tiny room with no ventilation to get jabbed by a maskless tech. Another win for being the first person of the day, I guess, so there hadn’t been a bunch of other people in that room recently. Would have preferred to be a Moth Man right now but Pfizer was available so Pfizer it is.

Did the same yesterday, but they just had a little booth with a curtain instead of a enclosed room. Got my flu shot too. Arm was sore yesterday and almost better today. I woke up at 6am freezing cold, took an ibuprofen and felt better once it hit. Pretty much the same as all the other mRNA shots I've had. The moth juice is much better side effect wise, but I didn't want to wait anymore and availability of novavax being completely in the air if/when I could find it.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I'm trying to understand how this makes money?

The air filter industry really needs to hire some lobbyists. They could make a killing if they could get some indoor air quality standards set and enforced. Though realistically since we live in hell world most of the money would end up going to grifters.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
drat I should have waited a few more days for the moth juice. Looks like the rollout is going much better than the mRNA one.

Does Costco take the bridge program?

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

SixteenShells posted:

results from some thread-relevant daily questions YouGov did this week. granted, these are the numbers after YouGov does their secret sauce reweighting of their survey data, but still, I was surprised by how favorably covid mitigations were viewed

lol even republicans are in favor of the horrific covid mitigations that stole our freedom and ruined a generation of children

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Costco has Winix air purifiers on sale again for $100. Have been happy with mine I got the last time they were on sale. Pretty quiet on all but the 'turbo' setting and has a air quality sensor that changes color when you fart near in.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

an owls casket posted:

Two things that crossed my mind today:

1) remember early on how people were like "hey, you should keep a journal about your experiences during the pandemic so that people can look back on it decades from now and remember what it was like"? How's that going for everyone? Good? I bet it's going good.

2) UW Medicine sure does seem to be sending a lot of emails to people about how to recognize the signs of a stroke. I'm sure that isn't anything that warrants any further thought whatsoever.

no need for people in future decades to look back on what it's like to live during a pandemic if that pandemic never ends

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Hungry Squirrel posted:

The good news is that I'm getting Moth Juice two weeks from Monday.

The poor-planning news is that I'm closing on a house three weeks from Monday.

It's sounding like the worst-case poor response is about 48 hours of feeling like death. Is that accurate? I can plan ahead so that I don't need to be packing or anything that week, but I need to not be half-dead for the closing. Should I reschedule the shot?

Should be fine within a day or two, unless you've had really bad reactions to vaccines in the past I wouldn't worry about it.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Same thing at the hospital system I used to work at even though I wasn't clinical. I wonder if anyone's wondered about that discrepency

Don't worry they will fix this discrepancy by no longer mandating flu shots.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

maxwellhill posted:

CO2 1600 in here with the windows cracked, all vents on, and oven on

you cold climate people, how the hell do you heat a home and ventilate it at the same time?

Do you have an HVAC system? When it's hot or cold enough to run the HVAC often the CO2 levels stayed under 1000 in my house, but they would spike if it wasn't needed to run the system. I recently got a new thermostat that runs the fan a minimum amount of time every hour that keeps the air fresh even when it isn't doing any heating/cooling.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I was slow and got in during the sign-up period so it wants to send me to a telehealth visit before giving me anything. I'm not sick, I just want the free 'script on hand so that I have it on hand when I DO get sick and can't get a local hook-up. Does the telehealth visit actually mean talking to a person, or is it just a series of webforms?

I just did this. I never signed up for test2treat before, it was all a series of webforms, not even a picture of a positive test needed. A box of pax should be at my door in 1-2 days. Insanely easy. We have the tools if you use them now and have niche information on where to find them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

shazbot posted:

do you need a photo of pos test?

nope! Easier and cheaper than when I did hidrb