Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Benne posted:

I do think they make the playoffs and render this discussion moot. There's too much talent on that roster not to, and even a diminished Rodgers is better than the poo poo they were trotting out last year.

It’s a pretty rough division on paper though. It might not take much bad luck to get behind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shinji2015 posted:

Yeah, Texas or London would also be my suggestions, and I wouldn't dismiss a wild card city like Toronto. Wasn't that a potential rumor for the Bills at one point before they became good again?

Mexico City and Toronto are by a wide margin the biggest cites in NA without teams, but Mexico presents a lot of challenges Toronto doesn't (elevation, height, relatively much greater cultural and economic difference). Guadalajara, Monterrey, and Montreal are all also bigger than the biggest US metro without a team (unless you count Tijuana in with San Diego, who tbf should never have lost their team). Then it's St. Louis, and a big logjam of Portland/Orlando/Sacramento/San Antonio, all of which are both much smaller and fairly well established fanbases for existing teams.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

a neat cape posted:

Anthony Lynn

And Mike McDaniel, though I suppose you could argue he's benefitting there from being very light skinned, which is pretty hosed up but possibly the case

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Wilks is on Niners rehab now. He’s going to own a top 5 defense for the next two years and get another crack at a HC gig.

Kyle Shanahan is reverse racist and will never hire a white guy

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm feeling pretty good about my "the difference between Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy is better PR" take from the previous thread these days

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Relentlessboredomm posted:

But do you want Steve Wilks? I get the “sure fine, he’ll do” attitude but who do you actually want as a HC?

Ok leaving aside this being an unanswerable appeal to the opinions of a nebulous “fanbase”, how often are “fans” (or posters here) actually right about which coaches are going to succeed before they’re hired? Worse than a coin flip I’d bet, so…who cares? We have completely inadequate information to judge who is going to be a good head coach. Guys like Hue Jackson and Byron Leftwich have been in recent memory hot offensive coaching candidates

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That story is really funny but mostly because making it illegal to “steal” signals is stupid as gently caress so this weirdo has to go absurd lengths to do something it’s ridiculous to even try to stop

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

syzpid posted:

I can't imagine being the Commies, looking at what Binenemy has done with Howell and not promoting him when they fire Rivera. Binenemy has to 100% get a job this offseason somewhere.

This feels like a week 3 take. The washington offense is bad. howell is taking an historic number of sacks and has 6tds to 6ints since week 3. they're getting 85 rush yards and less than a td a game on the ground. Sure he doesn't have much talent, but it's just not true to say he's getting impressive results out of that bad talent anymore.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

wandler20 posted:

You're going to lump in week 3 but ignore last week against a very good Eagles D?

He's been fine outside of taking a ton of sacks.

Hah no I actually was just looking at it sorted backwards by accident and looking at the first 5 weeks and not the most recent 3

Anyway the commanders offense is slightly below mediocre and I don’t think that’s a super impressive result. Their talent level is also slightly below mediocre

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

aperion posted:

The only thing I give a poo poo about right now is if Telesco is fired alongside Staley. If Spanos lets that milquetoast dipshit choose another head coach and work another draft, I'm just done with this garbage-rear end team. At this point it's blatantly clear that Telesco is at the heart of all this team's problems that can be realistically solved. He can't draft worth a poo poo, can barely do free agency adequately, and has managed to let way too much good talent walk out the door. I never forgot how Eric Weddle got treated in his last season, and over the years, Telesco proved that was the real first giant red flag about his poo poo performance right up there with Donald Butler's contract extension.

To be clear, Dean Spanos and his loser-rear end kids are the real problem, but I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon so I'm not even gonna bother speculating about them.

if he can't draft or handle free agency where do all these good players he lets go come from?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Asproigerosis posted:

Sirriani's seat is definitely hot right now. Defense might as well not even come to the games they are nonexistant. Offense hasn't been able to figure it out all season and hurts regressing by the week. Need to bring someone in to right the ship before it sinks here.

makes sense

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Febreeze posted:

Sirianni has taken the Eagles to the playoffs 3 years in a row, a super bowl last year, you are a lunatic if you think he's gone even if the rest of the season goes badly

keep in mind that there were people in this thread who said Shanahan's seat should be hot after the niners started 3-4 last year. this thread hungers for coach blood, reason doesn't enter into it

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

syzpid posted:

I am trying to think of someone who got the “offensive genius” tag, had as much talent on offense as Smith did, and just absolutely wasted it. Maybe the guy the Bucs had before Arians?

Why do bash “dead-beat” coaches for not utilizing their first round picks but we never question if the pick has bad vibes? Or if they’re just unpleasant to be around?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I wonder how unusual this is. Bad coordinators get fired but good ones get hired away so it's pretty unusual for a guy to stick around a long time, I feel like without doing any research at all

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Toaster Beef posted:

What's tough about sacking McCarthy is the regular-season performances are so drat good that it's a full year between crushing disappointments. So you get plenty of time to see objectively very good football and think "Ah I mean, this dude's got it together, surely getting bounced in the playoffs was a fluke." Then: whomp. It's like having a family reunion every five years to remind yourself why you only have a family reunion every five years.

I think the fact is he gets the performances from his rosters they’re capable of. Dallas’s talent isn’t as good as its reputation, because Dallas. The problem is there are only 4-5 coaches at most that get more out of their talent than they “should” so you’re likely to replace him with worse or no better. Ironically Green Bay replaced him with one of those 4-5 guys

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Simplex posted:

New owners are morons until proven otherwise, and if anything are less likely to be patient with coaches. Having a top 5 pick that you have to spend on a quarterback is not all that attractive, as it generally means that your fate is tied to the development of a 21 year old who has not played a down of NFL football. Oh and their defense is rear end, and they only have a ton of space because they cleared out almost everybody with talent.

yeah barring hitting dingers on every other position group, you're basically staking your entire fate as a HC on picking the right QB in the draft, if there IS a right QB in the draft.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CapnAndy posted:

iirc Gannon's biggest sin was that he just would not adjust at halftime, which led to a lot of teams threatening comebacks until the Chiefs finally went and did it in the Super Bowl.

https://www.businessinsider.com/peyton-manning-halftime-adjustments-not-real-2023-1

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

General Dog posted:

TIL Mike McCarthy has exactly the same career winning percentage as Sean Payton (.620). They're both comfortably ahead of Bill Parcells, Pete Carroll, and Tom Landry.

Almost identical playoff records too. Payton 9-8, McCarthy 11-11 after last week

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Is cousins to Atlanta a real possibility? I’m no great cousins booster but with the skill position talent they have, Cousins being very much in the pure pocket, risk averse mode Belichick/McDaniels prefer, and Bill running the defense, that seems like it could actually be a very good team

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Grittybeard posted:

Re-tooling Russ would seem to be the funnier version of this. I don't think it would work, I don't even know if there's a way to make it happen because of the insane contract/etc, but it's fun to imagine Bill having to deal with Russ.

I imagine all of those little needling comments Belichick does watching film just flowing off of Wilson and whatever persona he decided on for the day.

Bill vs Russ would be really funny but he’s not at all the kind of QB they prefer. He’s not a pocket poise dude and he likes to freelance

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Docjowles posted:

Bill’s interviews should absolutely include “will you hire Matt Patricia or Joe Judge in any capacity” as a binding and immediately disqualifying question

Wasn’t judge a pretty good ST coach? I mean I’m sure Bill does a lot of the ST stuff but it’s not like Patricia where he’s failed at his supposed niche multiple other places, he was just a lovely HC

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

really queer Christmas posted:

The biggest load of PR horseshit I've read in some time

perhaps the most written by someone's agent tweet of all time

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mcmagic posted:

I think he's an OK GM actually. not great but I'd trade Douglas for him in a second.

Imo quarterback scouting is almost totally luck and if you switch just the QBs they drafted, the jets are a Super Bowl contender and the chargers would win fewer than 3 games

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Nervous posted:

You fool, you absolute rube, thinking Trump won't win in November and then we won't have to worry about next year.

:suicide:

trump is going to relegate the panthers?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

If they don’t hit on their coaches then it doesn’t matter who they have at QB, they’ll still look like poo poo.

i'm reliably informed that most of the coaches in the playoffs this year are terrible garbage, so it can't be that important who they get

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

is that supposed to say rb coach or is he coming out of retirement

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Asproigerosis posted:

49ers should really be looking long and hard at moving on from shannahan

lol please never stop being determined to post without having any idea what you're talking about, i would miss it if you did

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

6 years seems to be the norm these days. Canales got 6, Demeco got 6, Steichen got 6, etc

There are six coaches in the league who have been in their current position for six years or more. Two more will hit that mark next year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Friends, I haven’t felt any optimism about the hawks since 2019, haven’t felt this level of hope since 2010.

I’m getting horned up for football!!!

You went to two super bowls in that time span so maybe you don’t have very good judgement of your team’s chances

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Black Sunshine posted:

Okay so we have a decent line with a massive question mark at QB so... well it's all really a crapshoot anyway.

I'm prepared for Hue Jackson since the franchise is cursed

I remember when Hue Jackson was THE hot offensive coordinator HC prospect. The Ben Johnson of the year.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Anderson Koopa posted:

I ranked / rated every coach in the league based on how tough I think they are.

S-Tier -Top notch, usually former players, absolute specimens
Antonio Pierce
Demeco Ryans
Jerod Mayo
Dan Campbell
Robert Saleh
Mike MacDonald

A-Tier - guys who look pretty tough but are just outside of greatness
Mike Tomlin
Todd Bowles
Kevin Stefanski
Raheem Morris

B-Tier - tough outs here
Dan Quinn
Matt Eberflus - played linebacker
Sean McDermott
Dan Quinn
Brian Callahan
Zac Taylor
Kevin O'Connell

C-Tier - guys who could be tough, but also could fold
Sean McVay
Jonathan Gannon
Matt Lafleur
Shane Steichen
John Harbaugh
Dennis Allen
Brian Daboll

D-Tier - Mostly the elderly here
Sean Payton
Andy Reid
Doug Pederson
Jim Harbaugh
Dave Canales
Mike McCarthy
Mike McDaniel
Nick Sirianni

Shanahan in the negative zone, not even rated

MMA and boxing have taught us that looking like a goober is not a disqualifier when it comes to dispensing violence

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

BlindSite posted:

Canales ran through so many side pieces it took god himself to stem the tide of skirt being thrown his way. He deserves to be higher.

Lover not a fighter. No correlation

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

how is that hindsight, these are his opinions at the time of the draft

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

seiferguy posted:

That's a little delightful thing about Renton. Because the Seahawks practice there, every restaurant, regardless of their status has probably had a Seahawk eaten there. I remember I went into a dive Teriyaki place, and on the wall was a picture of the owner there with Richard Sherman who was having a meal.

Jesus Christ why have you guys eaten your players

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Mega64 posted:

I'll allow that, Dak dreams of choking in the Super Bowl when he's stuck choking in the divisional round.

Technically three SBs to QB GOATs including 28-3. The issue is that all three times he's held a lead and didn't trust his offense enough to R U N and maintain the lead. This year was especially egregious since he had loving OPotY CMC, arguably THE best RB in the league, and didn't rely on him to bleed clock and gain enough yardage to get points.

Shannahan has had plenty of opportunities to prove himself, and he's gained many leads, but he just simply cannot be trusted to win the most important game in the clutch. He is a choker, plain and simple, and if your ceiling is "Losing the Super Bowl" that is fine, but 49ers fans could stand to gamble to do better.

McCaffrey ran 22 times and only averaged 3.6 yards per carry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

FizFashizzle posted:

That one hit he took where he got pulled backward in a kneeling position made MY tendons tear.

Flexibility is very important