Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
in other Texas Is Stupid news, the DPS pushed a software update over the weekend that has resulted in drivers license offices everywhere in the state to be closed possibly all week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

RVWinkle posted:

I'm not much of an Aerosmith fan but that song is a genuine technical achievement that's studied in music theory classes.

maybe they pick familiar songs in music theory classes to illustrate certain points, and not because the songs are transcendentally beautiful, like there are few things in music theory that can't be found somewhere in Bach but the youths have not heard that music probably.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Plinkey posted:

at least texas has good public transit

the state decided to stop doing annual auto inspections because it infringes on our freedom to drive cars with missing wheels and on fire.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Goreld posted:

I have several very conservative family members and this seems to hold up for them. They don’t actually have strong opinions on subjects outside of abortion, what they do believe in strongly is a moral authoritarian telling them what to be outraged about.

Back in the 90s they actually hated Trump with a passion, something to do with his divorces and general materialism. But the instant their authority figures told them to support Trump, they did so with only some initial grumbling. Secretly they kind of hate it and hate themselves for supporting Trump — deep down they know he’s a lying grifting poor example of a human being.

This is probably also why pointing out Trump’s issues doesn’t work to convince anyone — they already know he’s awful, but the authoritarian voices tell them those little doubts come from THE DEVIL so they suppress them. So pointing out ‘TRUMP BAD’ really just highlights their own failures and so they see it as an attack.

There’s also super crazy Trump true believers (I do have a pretty ignorant single family member like this) but I don’t believe they’re the majority.

my dad's family is old-school R, like Eisenhower, and ignoring the Nixon-era racist shift I can respect that (not necessarily agree, but Republicans were at least not complete lunatics until Nixon-Reagan). However they very politely talk about how much they like President Trump and what great things he did for the country. I mean, these are people who 100% would not answer the door if Trump knocked, until 2015. They're not dummies; they're very well-off and well-educated people. It's really mystifying.

The only good one is one cousin, who's a watercolor artist in California, and she calls out their poo poo on Facebook all the time. She's amazing.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Thinkin' about watching an exciting-looking YouTube called "Exploring Hoboken"

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Pennsylvania's trying to do that too

there's no political theory behind this, it's complete stupidity and even considering that it's to get votes from the kind of people who hate car inspections (like, who are they even?) those people are so loving stupid they're not going to remember you changed the law anyway.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Bethamphetamine posted:

There's also the theory that people who watch Fox News/OAN/Newsmax every waking hour for months or years have unintentionally trained their brain into a state of amygdala hijack whenever they consume information they don't like.

my parents had the TV on every waking hour of the day, my kids thought it was completely bizarre especially since it was always something incredibly stupid (sometimes FOX but more often HGTV or some random Canadian lovely movie on Lifetime or whatever) (and my god Canadians make some garbage cinema).

*Always* the TV on. Imagine staring at a screen filled with stupid stuff all da

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

Everyone hates car inspections they are a loving annoyance to have to go to the dmv and sit in the long rear end line to get a sticker.

No in Texas it was easy, there are (or were) weird little places everywhere with strange people doing inspections, it took like 10 minutes max and then you drive to an HEB and get a sticker. Really not a big deal at all.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Plinkey posted:

That's how PA is, and every year shops get shut down for basically just selling the stickers and not actually doing the inspections.

The advent of the smog tests made that kind-of impossible (except I guess for forged stickers) because you couldn't get the sticker until the smog check was uploaded.

The smog check is still around for the big cities, but who cares if there's smog in Tyler or Waco or Dime Box.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

owned

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Bethamphetamine posted:

Description of the Commonwealth Coat of Arms
The centre of the shield includes symbols of Australia's six states and the border of the shield symbolises federation.

The shield is held up by the native Australian animals the kangaroo and the emu, which were chosen to symbolise a nation moving forward, based on the fact that neither animal can move backwards easily.

A seven-point gold Commonwealth Star sits above the shield. Six of the star's points represent the Australian states and the seventh point represents the territories.

A wreath of gold and blue sits under the Commonwealth Star. Gold and blue are the Commonwealth Coat of Arms' 'livery', or 'identifying', colours.

Australia's floral emblem, the golden wattle, frames the shield and the kangaroo and emu and at the bottom of the shield you will see a scroll containing the word 'Australia'.

There are ten variations of the 1912 Arms – the colour version, four variations of the conventional Arms and five variations of the stylised Arms.

once I was at lunch in Rome at the IBM office near Piazzale de Cine with a couple of Americans and a bunch of Romans, and we were making fun of one American guy who bought kind-of a "ranch" and with it some emus, and he got sick of dealing with the emus and sold them except for one of them because there was basically no market for emus, so he was going to terminate the emu, and he went out to shoot it in the head because he figured that was humane and he couldn't find a local vet to do anything, but when he tried to shoot the emu he had to drain an entire clip because the he kept missing the emu's head.

Anyway we tried to tell this entertaining story to the Romans and they just looked at us funny, and one finally asked "What is an 'emu'?" we tried to explain and finally another Roman figured it out and was like, "Oh, they mean an 'eh MOO'" (accent on the second syllable).

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Zisky posted:

Is your life literally king of the hill?

I swear to god that that is a true story, emu part and all

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Zisky posted:

Is your life literally king of the hill?

when you get to be my age, you don't have to make poo poo up anymore

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

place to go if you're in Paris:

the old Natural History museum area, near the University district and the creatively-named "garden of plants", all those buildings are definitely worth a visit and you're away from the crush of horrible people around Rue Rivoli and the tourist zone

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

it's funny how Parisian big roads are named after Napoleonic war victories, but it's also funny that Churchill willed that if he died before De Gaulle his funeral procession (by train) should be routed through Waterloo Station, which is in fact what happened.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Bearjew posted:

we turpin over here

Bearjew you always make things better

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

there are no small venues anymore and livenation owns everything, lmao

?? Eric Clapton isn't playing the 10' square stage at the local pizza place but yea there are small venues

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/sometherapist/status/1699091404230987818

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

sry that was retweeted by the "real estate in abandoned cities gets expensive" guy

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

poo poo I didn't mean to quote myself but it's Friday

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

makin some kick-rear end risotto tonight

asparagus mother fuckers

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Buddykins can't you do impressive bartender tricks, like flipping drinks up 30 feet in the air and then they land perfectly in little glass with umbrellas

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

titty_baby_ posted:

My dad refuses to order burgers when he eats out because "why the gently caress would I pay for something I can make so easily at home"

so does he stick to complicated souffles and Beef Wellington etc?

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

petit choux posted:

I'm the opposite, I very seldom eat hamburgers but so many places do it well that I prefer to have somebody else cook red meat in their kitchen.

BTW, thanks to your influence fish juice is now part of my regular seasoning regime.

poo poo like that makes me so happy

remember, I'm Team 3 Crabs, but there are Squid brand partisans out there and I respect them

e: in my opinion Red Boat is overpoweringly strong, it may be good for certain things but it's expensive and imo unnecessary

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

oh that reminds me, I'll be visiting Dallas in a couple weeks and I'm hoping that the Eataly store there carries a Calabrian preparation that's kind-of like Vietnamese fish sauce

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Buddykins posted:

I'm 10 mins away from eataly - come to my apt and cook me pasta

I will be stocking up on pasta, definitely. The "restaurants" at Eataly are good but they're quite expensive and filled with, well, you know, Dallas people, and you know I don't mean you.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hatebag posted:

oh so a type of garum?

that's my understanding

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

You fool, don't invite an Italian across your threshold!

PFC I think I have explained that I am primarily Irish, and basically 0% Italian

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

External Organs posted:

*grin getting wider* that's right buddykins, have another cup of semolina flower and raw egg

Hey here's a useful tidbit: in the US most (not all, but definitely most) "semolina" flour is pretty coarse. It's great stuff, especially when used by the small handful underneath bread dough you're sliding into an oven because it's like a bunch of tiny b-bs. However there's also "semolina rimacinata" that's much finer ground, and it's more useful if you want to include it in bread or pizza dough.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Buddykins posted:

ex used to work at the restaurant upstairs and I never told her but I thought the menu and cocktail list loving sucked. the food downstairs is salty and loving garbage and the service itself isn't worth the price. Dallas restaurants are loving pretentious as hell

this is 100% true but it does not apply to the fantastic ethnic restaurants up in Plano/Richardson/Garland

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Buddykins posted:

go to Sister in lower greenville M5. That loving place exemplifies Dallas dining - service loving sucks, you know more than the server about their menu just by looking at it, and the pasta dishes are the most loving boring simple trash basic bullshit youve seen many times before and can find in a 5 mile radius from the place itself.

and you pay nearly 200 for two people. Enjoy!

yea I love the Greenville/Knox-Henderson zone because of old memories, but mostly it sucks and parking is a god drat pain in the rear end.

poo poo, me and A Gin Palace went to a Chinese dumpling place up on far-north MacArthur Blvd in Irving, Irving, where I grew up and which was an incredible lovely dump, and that place absolutely rules. That's the thing about DFW, the good parts are disguised as completely boring suburbs that no normal person would ever visit.

except the art museums

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Buddykins posted:

my favorite restaurant there closed down. St Martins. I have so many good memories with knox henderson and lower greenville.

That women's clothing place, Emeralds to Coconuts, was there when we lived in the neighborhood in the mid-80s

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

FunOne posted:

loving lol, my grandparents live off MacArthur in Irving. Too bad they hate all Asian food with the changing demographics in that area over the last 30 years.

well like all roads like that in DFW MacArthur is probably 40 miles long, this place was up near that big pond called "North Lake", which was in the middle of nowhere when I was growing up (I am old). Yea though Irving is way different but also completely the same, and in some ways a whole lot nicer, I think all the commercial office stuff (probably tech and financial) along PGBT around the airport has made a lot of old lovely real estate like where I lived (Story/183) a huge amount more valuable, those houses look much nicer now because people probably paid $600K for them (or more).

e: the place with the good dumplings is called "Fortune House" if you're ever there escaping from your relatives.

emfive has issued a correction as of 20:02 on Sep 8, 2023

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

petit choux posted:

Garam masala probably comes from the same word

no, "garam" is (ok I am pretty sure here) a cognate of "warm", and "masala" means "spices" or "seasoning".

think about how "garam" sounds, it's like "warm" kind-of.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

petit choux posted:

You are getting your story mixed up, you were talking about your Scottish roots IIRC

no definitely not unless I was incredibly drunk. I'm very much Irish with some Mexican mixed in, except the Mexican is mostly Scots and most Scots are Irish.

I stunned shop girls on a trip to Ireland with my name, and that was an experience because, well I won't get into it but allow me to recommend a trip to Ireland to all you people who enjoy looking at girls

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

so yea I guess a teeny bit Scots but not much, that branch of my mom's family is kind-of remote.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

petit choux posted:

And here I was hoping I'd come across another cool Sanskrit root

A Gin Palace did a crash-course in Thai and apparently there are lots of Sanskrit loan words in languages around there, including the word for "language" which is something like "vasa", or "voice", "vox", etc

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

bebop esq posted:

much like musicians who work with Amanda Palmer
daughter A got to hang out with Amanda Palmer when she played a show at the "Museum of Human Achievement" in Austin, which is pretty much an abandoned building. She did a show with family friend Thor Harris, probably didn't pay anybody but the audience was possibly 10 people so, you know.

e: to be clear Palmer was doing the show, daughter was 10% of the audience

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Plinkey posted:

add a tribute at the end, you'll get a standing ovation and that's all that anyone will remember because they weren't paying attention the whole time of your presentation

if you know some CSS you can invent a vastly superior Power Point in an afternoon using just HTML and a little JavaScript maybe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

I'm sure you're right, I don't do poo poo like that anymore because as Plinkey pointed out nobody ever pays a single microscopic bit of attention to that kind of poo poo