Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vampire Panties posted:

I made a bit of cash on the original GME runup, but I also got my money da fuq off the table and never messed with meme stocks again.

There used to be some signal under the excessive noise of /r/wsb, but its totally lost now.

Everyone who remotely knew what they were doing got out long ago and it's nothing but bagholder cope ever since

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neito posted:

It's interesting because it's a practical demonstration of the Libertarian/Ultracapitalist-but-not-rich mentality that the rules of capitalism are not like the rules of physics: they can and will be changed at a moment's notice if it benefits the people with the most money.

They also ignore the much simpler possible answer: the hedgies declare bankruptcy and never have to pay out their positions. I believe their way out of that logical knot is that the government will backstop the debt and then extreme violence against the hedgies for reasons unknown.

Not sure what your phrasing meant there, but it's been pretty clear over the years that the libertarian/ultracapitalist-but-not-rich mentality IS that the rules of capitalism are supposed to be like the laws of physics, immutable and built into the universe, and they're constantly dumbfounded when the rules are changed or ignored without blinking for the benefit of the people actually in charge. They bought into all of the cold war capitalist ad copy completely.

yoloer420 posted:

The Sears thing is really interesting. These people are trying to get in on a company which from what I can tell is currently having the last of it's assets liquidated.

They're also buying bonds which are somehow related to that? These people are literally paying for a position at the end of the queue of creditors...

Holy poo poo that's amazing.

At this point the more broke, obsolete and worthless a company is the more they think they can somehow get rich from it. It's pretty much cargo cult vulture capitalism.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What floors me most about the stonk culture is the whole idea of "due diligence" and "doing your own research". As if random schmo's are somehow going to outsmart the wealthiest entities on the planet by looking at information that is available for free on the internet.

Also an important part is they genuinely believe this, yes, that they are the cool and flexible whiz kid who outsmarts the old and crusty fossils with their hustle and grind. A key part of the modern capitalist mythology is finding the secret hack that makes every enterprise suddenly start pouring out unlimited money with unlimited growth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

dr_rat posted:

For any young kids out their Encarta was a thing back in the really old, olden days, it was considered the first encyclopedia, even before Wikipedia. It came on a cd and had a bunch of words about stuff, and included stuff that moved for a few seconds which if you squinted really hard could sort of be described as video.

Technically it was considered education.

And it also had Mindmaze!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One of the many things in common with the crypto and NFT crowd is that it's nearly impossible to draw the line between scammers and marks most of the times, it's all scammers scamming scammers because the core belief is inherently about how they have the hot new secret into conning money out of the less deserving.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Much like with crypto, the tag line might as well be 'It can't be that stupid, you must be explaining it wrong'.

It's basically 'alternative medicine' applied to investing, similar to sovereign citizen garbage for law or mainstream economics. It's a collective delusion and fiction actively developed and reinforced by communities of con artists that feed on themselves.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They really don't get that the system exists to serve the wealthy and not the other way around. What happens when you buy into the ad copy of capitalism unquestioningly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Remember that as a rule people don't really flame out or post confessionals when they realise they've been had by these kind of things, and even those who do tend to get their posts deleted immediately. They usually quietly drift away and try to forget the whole thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

dr_rat posted:

When he says "it's about you", he obviously means you, i.e the people who didn't invest a ton of money in to AMC stocks reading this, not me the person he's directly replying to.

Wait, so who can prevent forest fires?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

dr_rat posted:

No one. Forests are just gonna burn as that's just what forests do. :(

Ah, a fellow Australian.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's also the grasstrees that breed when set on fire

And the birds that spread fire on purpose to flush out prey

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Basically a 'crazy enough to work' scheme worked exactly once, and a lot of people mostly late to the party got the idea that they should be able to make it work every single time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pirate Radar posted:

The couple of barcades near me are 1) an actually good one with game systems hooked up so you can play a bunch of games, 2) one that’s mostly a bar but was supposed to be a barcade except they only have 3-4 cabinets with emulators set up and some of the joysticks are broken and 3) a pinball arcade that also had a halfpipe in it but they don’t let you use the halfpipe anymore for I assume the obvious reasons. Seems like a tricky idea to actually make work.

I think the trick is that arcades are actually hella expensive to run when you don't have the constant influx of kids with literal pocket money who can't just stay home and play the same games on their TV.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PhazonLink posted:

wait was Lego failing 20 years ago?

also do they mean 20 years ago as in 200X or the 90s or 80s?

IIRC Lego was actually in what's considered a dark age in the late 90s/early 00s at least, making a lot of poo poo no one really wanted and stuck in some bad design trends.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

the holy poopacy posted:

actually :goonsay: they had already started doing that and it was almost the last nail in the coffin because they wound up misjudging demand and overproducing them because they were leaning on them to keep the company afloat

the main problem was that the lego company decided that making toy model construction kits using plastic bricks was a dead end business and they needed to diversify their revenue streams into theme parks, cartoons, and other types of toys

Ironically they've managed to make all that poo poo work now by building on their core product until they have a more comfortable base and can afford the risks of branching out.

Licensed IP sets are actually quite the risk, as it's not like popularity is guaranteed and in fact it can have much narrower appeal than more generic original stuff, and on top of that you need to pay for the licensee, probably royalties and deal with their stipulations on top of your existing design and marketing requirements.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

As a child I could amuse myself endlessly with a giant bucket of Lego pieces. How on earth could the company be a rollercoaster?

It's harder than it looks! Unrelatedly they also make Lego rollercoasters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's more that a lot of business degrees are just laundering privilege for useless failchildren, whether they actually absorb any useful information from them is entirely optional. We live in a feudal system with the names switched around as a charade.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

bird with big dick posted:

I love how they're talking about Blockbuster becoming enormously profitable by opening a bunch of brick and mortar theaters as opposed to you know those companies that already own thousands of brick and mortar theaters that aren't really doing that hot.

Cargo cult approach to branding even moreso than branding is already cargo cult in the boardrooms.

Malls in American in particular mostly suffer from having massively overstretched even at the height of their profitability iirc, especially with how many are built in bumfuck nowhere suburbia. The ones with actual viable locations are doing fine, apparently.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

exmachina posted:

If you ever traded magic cards or pogs :corsair: as a kid you basically understand finance. MBA grads are dumb as poo poo: don't let them bamboozle you with jargon.

MBAs are basically just boy scout badges for useless rich idiots as an excuse to give them sinecures. So much about the world makes sense when you realise that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a tinge of truth to their cargo cult capitalism in that they see that you can become rich without any actual work just by owning the right thing at the right time. It's good work if you can get it. The problem is not understanding literally every other aspect of it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A lot of people don't understand the maxim 'If it's stupid and it works, it's still stupid and you're lucky.'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pratchett had it right about the kind of person who won't believe the word of scientists, experts, wizards, or the Pope, but will believe literally anything that a man in a pub tells them. Or nowadays, someone on Facebook. They pretty much actively seek out the most sketchy and absurd sources for everything.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

One of the kinda basic things the apes don't get is that a business is not a person, everything about them is legally a seperate thing that can be bought, sold and exchanged seperately. That a name, in a business sense, is an asset, hence there are literal registered trademarks and business names, functioning much like say, usernames on a forum where they must be unique identifiers for the purposes of doing business, but can still be traded around, changed, retired and reused like any other asset. Look at Atari and how that's been passed around like a cheap bong at a frat house for decades. A company is nothing more than the sum of its parts, and everything else is marketing. Marketing and branding gives people the idea that a company has some kind of spiritual existence outside ledgers and brand recognition, which is absolutely not the case.

Like pretty much everything with the loose libertarian sphere of cargo cult capitalism that the apes come from is credulous misunderstandings of how business works and a dogged mysticism around it. In the Gamestonk case, they saw what a bunch of cheeky rascals willing to risk some cash on a gamble based on exploiting a genuine opportunity from hedge funds misunderstanding the nature and current status of a business, and failed to understand basically every reason why that actually worked and why it was a one-time thing. Which is pretty common in business and increasingly entirely what Western capitalism is based around, the complete inability to understand externalities beyond uselessly context-less statistics, but that's another topic.

Basically with the apes it's best to assume they are hilariously, downright surreally wrong about literally everything. And like a lot of people, their response to being repeatedly proven wrong is to double down with even more magical thinking and motivated reasoning to come up with literally any answer except the correct one, because the correct one would require them to acknowledge they have been idiots who've been wrong about literally everything from the start.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I don't think it's a particularly (technologically) mature platform. I use Mastodon and I looked into Lemmy when I dropped Reddit - there was a server I was interested in but making an account required some manual greenlight from the administrator. But! because it's federated I can follow the Lemmy instance from my Mastodon account and interact with comments. But! I can't make posts, just replies to other people's posts.

It's about 70% of the way there.

Pretty much everyone who's on the internet long enough gets into the habit of being ready to jump ship from their usual platforms, even before they start getting enshittified.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I remember seeing an official announcement video from Neopets a couple months ago which was very 'baby come back' though I didn't have much context for it.

lol that they literally got 4 million bucks from crypto investors and spent it in getting rid of every trace of crypto poo poo in the game

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

It's going to be so funny as former BBBY continues to pursue litigation against Ryan Cohen. They're going to be constantly juggling inconvenient statements between Cohen's lawyers and Butterfly.

I got mixed up for a sec thinking of Butterfly Labs making Bitcoin mining rigs.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As I've said, it all makes sense when you realise the mythmaking is literally the primary activity they engage in, of course they come up with new excuses and new stories at every material setback.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Being on the winning end of the scam is, it has to be said, by far a more realistic and likely goal than changing society for the better overall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

This feels like an Arrested Development subplot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Halfway to CHOAM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

I dunno it would be funny if pulte could reenact the sack of constantinople with his crusader army

That's worth taking a closer look into because the fourth crusade is a loving amazing farce of grifters grifting grifters.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

You can't reason people out of what they didn't reason themselves into. People's understanding of business and economics is pretty shaky at the best of times thanks to generations of quite deliberate miseducation, and that's before you get motivated reasoning involved. Much like SovCits for law and alternative medicine kooks for medicine, it's all a game of using random terms they don't understand and free-form mythology to convince themselves they have the secret keys to the world.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Extremely unsurprising that the apes have found their saviour in a third-generation failson flailing in the vague direction of his perceived birthright with the expectation of receiving constant money and affirmation from the plebes. He's everything they see themselves as.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lol he can genuinely use the defense that there's literally nothing he can say or do that the apes won't take as a sign

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

'Cargo cult' is a very fitting term for a reason.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Serious_Cyclone posted:

It's absolutely a fanfic community, they just chose the most personally financially devastating subject they could find to write fanfiction about

You have no idea how stiff the competition is there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Trillhouse posted:

I just found out today he's being sued two times by two separate people for hitting them with his car. For some reason he's being represented by a different lawyer in each case.

He's an Uber driver btw. He's going to hit another person, they'll sue Uber for not doing a basic background check, and he'll destroy the company. Which would be really, really funny.

His life is pure chaos. I don't know how he has the energy.

I'd guess meth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

super sweet best pal posted:

These people all saw Wolf of Wall Street and decided they wanted to be the guy in a lambo doing coke.

They literally go on about lambos and probably coke for a reason. It's all cargo cult capitalism. Even moreso than the entirety of our culture already is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I always double take seeing the action figure for a Fortnite character that looks like Agent 47 and then triple take seeing he's called Diamond Hanz.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They're all the same poo poo when you get down to it too. Just the same buzzwords put together in slightly different orders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's funny how these internet cults always seem to end up imploding into petty fiefs of backstabbing drama, like the old tumblr diaspora collapsing into young adult author twitter.