Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

attack the mid tier FA market and trade market trying to get as many lefty hitters as possible and don't prospect hug.

Wasn't this the Project 189 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

Hoyer talked specifically about wanting to find a specific, long term defensive position for Morel and the only one really open for him right now is 3B, so I think they're really going to try hard to make him work there next year.

Morel is incapable of fielding a ball and throwing it in a direction that doesn't land in Schaumburg or Naperville. He is an absolute defensive butcher.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Brewers' extortion attempt seems to have worked; a bill that would provide $546 million in public funding for renovations of Miller Park has passed the Wisconsin Assembly and now goes to the Senate.

$546 million in public money (plus a paltry $100 million from the Brewers) for a stadium that's 22 years old. This is bullshit.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Remember Dan Serafini? Apparently he killed his father-in-law.

quote:

Danny Serafini, a first-round draft pick in 1992 who went on to pitch for six teams in the major leagues, was one of two people arrested Friday in Nevada in connection to a Lake Tahoe-area attack that left a man dead and his wife in critical condition.

After a two-year investigation, the 49-year-old Serafini and Samantha Scott, 33, were arrested separately, hundreds of miles apart in Las Vegas and northwest of Reno. Authorities say they knew each other and the victims: Robert Gary Spohr and his wife, Wendy Wood.

Spohr, 70, was killed and Wood survived the shooting at their home in an unincorporated community in California off the shore of Lake Tahoe, the Placer County Sheriff's Office said.

Serafini and Scott will be extradited to California, officials said.

"Today, justice was served," Placer County Sheriff Wayne Woo said in a statement. "The apprehension of those responsible for the tragic events that unfolded in Homewood, North Lake Tahoe in 2021 stands as a testament to the unwavering dedication of our detectives, law enforcement partners, and the persistence of our pursuit of truth."

Serafini, a left-hander, was taken with the 26th overall pick in the 1992 draft by the Minnesota Twins, with whom he ended up pitching for three seasons. He also spent time with the Chicago Cubs, San Diego Padres, Pittsburgh Pirates and Cincinnati Reds before finishing his career with the Colorado Rockies in 2007. Overall, he went 15-16 in 104 games with a 6.04 ERA.

The last time I thought of Dan Serafini, he was in an episode of Bar Rescue, owning a Nevada bar that was completely under water with several hundred thousand dollars of debt.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I just wanted to thank baseball for being the source of so many cherished memories with my father. Take your kids to games, play home run derby in the back yard, or even just talk baseball with them. They'll have a lifetime of treasured memories to draw from, even after you're gone.

gently caress ALS.

I watched an aunt fade away from ALS over eight years. It was absolutely terrible.

I'm so sorry, Cubs Posting Friend Kevlar. :smith:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I mean, Morel is a strikeout machine and an absolute butcher on defense, but he occasionally hits massive fingers; I don't see why the Cubs should hug him.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

This Padres loan news is gonna get trotted around as more owner PR.

But let’s peek at the numbers shall we? According to Forbes this past March, the Padres were worth $1.75B, a number Forbes claims was up 11% over the previous year. That means the team value increased by more than $173M in just one year. They just took out a loan for less than 1/3rd of that increase, and they absolutely got a rate that’s lower than 11%. The Padres could take out debt loads like that every year, indefinitely, and the owner would still be making money in the long run.

Most millionaires and billionaires are extremely cash-poor due to their net worth being tied up in long-term investments that can't easily be cashed out. I have no problem believing that Seidler found himself in a jam and needed an emergency cash injection.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Little Big League is actually really good imo. I watched it twice as a teenager and forgot about it for 20 years but it holds up.

Those '90s baseball movies aimed at kids had some weirdly packed casts.

Little Big League: Dennis Farina, Jason Robards, Timothy Busfield, plus a gently caress-ton of MLB player cameos.
Rookie of the Year: Daniel Stern, John Candy, Gary Busey, Dan Hedaya, Bruce Altman.
The Sandlot: Denis Leary, James Earl Jones, Art Lafleur, Karen Allen.
Angels in the Outfield: JGL, Christopher Lloyd, Adrien Brody, Neal McDonough, Matthew McConaughey, Danny Glover.

Like, what the hell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

As a known Ross hater, even I'm impressed at the swift and unexpected knife Jed jammed in his back on this one. Not exactly shedding tears, but that's ruthless.

I mean, this is literally a repeat of what happened in 2014, so it isn't Jed's first rodeo. Rick Renteria was told his job was safe, Maddon unexpectedly hit the market, and Theo and Jed said, "Hit the bricks, Ricky."

In 2023, David Ross was told his job was safe, Counsell hit the market, and Jed and Carter said, "See you later, grandpa."

That sounds like a norovirus outbreak at the hotel they're at.

Norovirus is hell.

Timby fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Nov 9, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

"There’s never been a need to have any sort of outside entity come in and negotiate these things."

Translation: "Of course you don't need a lawyer to review this contract and see if we're screwing you!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Something I just remembered about the Brewers saying they're looking to slash payroll: They just got $550 million in public financing for renovations of Miller Park. So right after they get a giant taxpayer handout, they start screaming "cost certainty!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Who else is in the top 10 dogshit fielding shortstops

Jose Hernandez.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Eric the Mauve posted:

No team has used anyone in that role in 10+ years

I seem to recall the Cubs using Mike Montgomery in that role pretty extensively.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

He'd have to accept the trade and he's not going to a bad team.

Jim Bowden had an article today about trades he wants to see at the winter meetings, and said he thinks the Reds are one starting pitcher away from being World Series contenders. :laffo:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

live with fruit posted:

Wasn't Bowden a notoriously awful GM?

He was a moron (and so bad at broadcasting that his ESPN and ESPN Radio career lasted for about a month), and I have no idea why The Athletic / NYT gives him a paycheck every two weeks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

secular woods sex posted:

He gets a ton of hate-clicks and engagement is engagement.

I just remember him quietly resigning from the Nationals after he got caught up in a sting investigating the skimming of Latin American players' signing bonuses.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

So Bryce Harper is 31 and has eight years remaining on his contract.

According to ESPN, he wants an extension from the Phillies (I'm guessing to boost his AAV?). What the hell?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Niwrad posted:

Are the Cubs going to do anything or is it just hope the price for Rhys Hoskins drops enough for their liking? Haven't heard a peep about them and Bellinger.

There was an article in The Athletic this afternoon that they're waiting for Bellinger's demands to come down to like a three-year deal because of his injury history.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

live with fruit posted:

Fourteen million a year seems like a lot for Gurriel?

Obviously not an apples-to-apples comparison, but Gurriel is a 115 OPS+ hitter to Cody Bellinger's 120 OPS+, career. Gurriel is two years older, but Bellinger's going to get a hell of a lot more than $14MM AAV.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Rich people dick-waving

Also, something something about investing in an appreciating asset rather than just letting cash sit in the bank.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dinosaurs! posted:

I’m thinking they’ll be streamed on Prime and you won’t need cable on top of it.

Google made a metric gently caress-ton of money by charging $450 for NFL Sunday Ticket (more if you want RedZone) on top of the $80 a month or whatever they charge for YouTube TV; you're delusional if you think Amazon didn't see that revenue stream and think, "Yep, we'd love to get in on that action."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

Reinsdorf is not going to spend a dime of his own money to move anywhere, this is just a ploy to get the state to somehow pay him more money for The Grate.

Exactly. This is the exact same ploy as back in the '80s. For those not familiar with Jerry Reinsdorf and his bullshit, back in the mid- to late 1980s, Reinsdorf was at loggerheads with the City of Chicago regarding tax credits and other public funding for the new Comiskey Park. Both sides were pretty solidly entrenched, so Reinsdorf got together with some of his and George Steinbrenner's real estate buddies in Florida; those guys pressured the government of St. Petersburg to eventually say, "Hell, yeah, we'll gladly welcome the White Sox if Chicago doesn't want them! poo poo, we'll start building a stadium right now!" So construction began on the Trop in St. Pete without any agreement with the White Sox to move there, and expansion was still a twinkle in the eye of MLB at that point. Ultimately, Chicago and the State of Illinois blinked and gave Reinsdorf the money he wanted for New Comiskey. So St. Petersburg got completely pantsed by Reinsdorf--who never had any intention of leaving Chicago, he just hated Mayor Daley and wanted to give him a panic attack--and the Trop sat largely empty for almost a decade, outside of Lightning games and concerts.

All of this is just posturing so Reinsdorf gets money for renovations and new amenities added to whatever the hell they call the White Sox park now, because he's jealous of the Wrigley Field mallpark environment and wants to drive up the value of the team when it inevitably gets sold after he carks it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bawfuls posted:

That's wild, why does it suck? It looks like a nice modern stadium on tv. I guess it's just a little too far south to be easy to get to on transit?

Smallest capacity in the NFL, getting to and from is an utter nightmare, the Bears hate being there because they don't get any revenue from the parking lots but they have a sweetheart lease and pay only $6.4 million a year to Chicago Parks to use the stadium.

They paid $120-something million for the Arlington Heights racetrack property, and it was clear they wanted to build there, but they're running into fierce opposition over a tax levy on the school district that would fund construction. So they've gone back hat-in-hand to the City of Chicago about possibly re-developing the Soldier Field parking lots into a new stadium (that would be taxpayer-funded, of course).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Red posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea the Trop was just part of a scam

Really quite impressive on Reinsdorf's part. He never, ever had any intention of moving the White Sox to Florida, but he was playing the world's biggest game of chicken against Mayor Daley and the City of Chicago. So all he and Steinbrenner had to do was lean on some of their buddies in Tampa Bay / St. Pete, who had the ear of the city and county governments, and, boom, the minute they designed the Trop and announced plans to break ground, Chicago and the State of Illinois folded like a house of cards and gave Reinsdorf everything he wanted for New Comiskey.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mustached Demon posted:

More importantly, why hasn't the Cubs paid my good friend Cody Bellinger lots of money yet?

Boras wants a megadeal for him and the Cubs--and other teams, I think--are wary of handing one out, wondering whether his 2023 season was a return to form, or if he'll turn back into the pumpkin who had OPS+ seasons of 44 and 81 in 2020 and 2021.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Don’t they usually give guys like this handlers?

I remember the Cubs did this with Starlin Castro after he kept getting caught up in increasingly sketchy poo poo in the DR, and they told him in no uncertain terms to stay out of trouble.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spring Break My Heart posted:

HIs 5 year run from 2007 to 2011 seems like a pretty strong "one of the best pitchers in the game" run.

That is effectively my criterion and it's what I would use as my rubric if I were a BBWAA member with a HoF vote: "Was this guy one of the best players at his position for an extended period of time?"

Sabathia nails that. So does Andruw Jones.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The stadium would have to be indoors and air conditioned. No way in hell would anyone want to play in 120-degree heat.

Yeah, that's the thing that boggles my mind and cooks my noodle about the A's being so hellbent on moving to Las Vegas. Not only does it automatically become, I'm pretty sure, the smallest stadium in all of MLB (I believe I read that the capacity is going to be only 33,000) and on a horrendously compact and cramped parcel of land, but they're going to be playing 81 games in the middle of the loving desert. Last I recall reading, the stadium is going to have a retractable roof, and, sure, I guess they could open it up during a late October / November run (lol A's), but it seems to me that it would be cheaper and more cost-efficient to just build it with a fixed roof.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bravesword posted:

The late eighties don’t look particularly good for ballplayers honestly. Andrew McCutchen is probably the best player born the same year as me. After him, you’ve got Posey, Kershaw, Goldschmidt, Freeman as players who have a shot… and then you’re into 90s births

I was born in 1984; looking at a list of players born that year ... loving yikes. No slam-dunk HoF guys beyond Mad Max, near as I can tell. Maaaaaaaybe Jon Lester if the members of the BBWAA suffer a collective aneurysm and he gets sympathy votes for the Cubs' 2016 season?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

2. What if – This song weirdly uses the intro from Paint It Black. The riff in the verse is decently ominous, which is appropriate since this is apparently on the soundtrack for Scream 3.

It is indeed! It plays for like 10 - 15 seconds during the opening pre-title sequence before Cotton Weary and his girlfriend, played by Kelly Rutherford, get slaughtered.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

maffew buildings posted:

Manfred and the league will never do anything because the A's are very profitable and that's what matters the most, way in which those profits are made be damned

Don't forget that the A's are getting revenue sharing money this season even though they don't have a finalized stadium plan, despite the league's agreement with the union explicitly saying that they were not to get revenue sharing if no binding plan was in place by something like January 15.

Tony Clark and the union just went :shrug:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

General Bullshit posted:

Posting the gif one last time in honor of Dr James Andrews who is retiring.

He should absolutely be elected to the MLB Hall of Fame in the Contributors wing. He has changed baseball medicine in so many different ways.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Considering almost no one takes the QO, this doesn't do much

The QO also sucks for player compensation. Obviously, teams aren't going to blink at giving up draft pick compensation for signing an elite-tier free agent. But those mid-tier, non-superstar players? Suddenly teams get wary about coughing up a first-round pick to sign them, which depresses those players' contract offers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FREE AT LAST

FREE AT LAST

HALLELUJAH WE'RE FREE AT LAST

bawfuls posted:

I’m guessing the sale won’t go through in time for the Orioles to sign any of the top free agent pitchers this winter.

One last “gently caress you” from Angelos on the way out the door.

The article says there's no timetable for the deal to close, the two PE billionaires will only hold 40 percent of the team until the old geezer finally carks it, and they need to figure out what the hell is going to happen with MASN, so I wouldn't expect operational control to change until a year from now at the soonest.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

live with fruit posted:

Isn't parity high in the NBA right now?

Look at the list of NBA Finals teams since 2015 and then ask that question again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sydin posted:

the Orioles

quote:

in the NL East.

Uh...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Komet posted:

I really hope the new ownership is more progressive about streaming. I haven't watched an Orioles game since 2015. I'd easily drop $10 or more per month to stream MASN.

Maybe there was some other legal red tape, but it just didn't seem like the Orioles take streaming seriously.

Only if MASN brings back Gary Thorne.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sharknado slashfic posted:

How about dem O's

THIS

IS

BIRDLAND

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

these MOTHERFUCKERS traded for the best young hitter in baseball, what a bunch of dummies!!!!!

The Yankees could use the incantations of some elder god and conjure up Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle and Lou Gehrig in their primes and mcmagic would say they were just trying to run it back with a lovely team that hadn't improved at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

mcmagic posted:

Rizzo was a sub 3 win player even in his full, healthy season as a Yankee and Stanton is completely cooked. Anything they get from him would be shocking. They had to move away from those guys and they didn't even try.

It's kind of hard to move away from a guy when he's been experiencing post-concussion syndrome for two-thirds of the season and your medical staff doesn't pick up on it and bench him.