Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Yeah, my sleeping problem is my cats settle down one either side and pin me, and when I manage to turn over they walk up and down me, compete to shove their bums in my face and occasionally hiss at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

grobbo posted:

After two pages, I think we can all agree on the basic ethical principle that crimes should be forgiven if the circumstances are funny enough and the victims are unsympathetic enough.

It's like when Jonathan Franzen got his glasses stolen at a book launch, or when Bart got Milhouse placed on America's Most Wanted and he had to jump off a dam, or when Peter Marsh became a beloved Come Dine With Me meme even though Jane did actually start the beef between them without provocation.

Or what happened to Meredith in the Parent Trap. Those twins should have been arrested, dammit

Tried in the court of public opinion, the verdict is lol and the sentence is lmao.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Microplastics posted:

I'm now imagining a policy where your benefits are stopped if you don't eat a whole salad while a DWP agent watches you

You wasted food and therefore money given you by the hard-working taxpayer.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Albinator posted:

No loving kidding. Absolute bullshit probe.

Yeah. FFS.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Marmaduke! posted:

This is going to be a nightmare, I've offered a really good guy a salary of £36K (6 more than he'd put as an expectation and decent for science), and he needs to review his visa in May, guess we might all be screwed? Plus he has a wife finishing her masters, guess if she doesn't get a great job then that's another fail. They have a child too, how long until they say it has to be £38K per family member (including kids)...

Hell, how long before it has to be 38k for citizenship and the right to vote even if you were born here? One weird trick...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

forkboy84 posted:

He apparently had a podcast I guess about being transphobic bigots and his co-host was bemoaning that since starting this he's lost everything lol

https://twitter.com/ICanSeeForever1/status/1731987850810265974?t=DvS7drNn2jpOx0vlx7-4SA&s=19

Imagine burning up your entire life just to be Graham Linehan's lovely sidekick

"Stop being an arsehole about other people's genders"

"No"

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 7, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

It really is just that loving stupid.

I daresay there are kickbacks and mutual backscratching and whatnot going on too, but yes, at base, JTFS.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guavanaut posted:

It's not scabbing if he intended it that way :eng101:

Oh, I have to figure out a way to make that my av.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Endjinneer posted:

My experience is that NHS teaching hospitals lean heavily on the presumption of a genial "well they've got to learn somewhere" attitude to the student doctors. Which is fair enough, but sometimes it would be nice if they warned you there was going to be 20 of them watching.

I've always been asked first if I'm happy to have a load of students look at the weird lump on my stoma or whatever I'm going under the knife for that time. I'm fine with that; a few more people seeing my innards isn't a problem.

They're even in a medical textbook somewhere, I'm told.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Words ha conain he eers L, G, B, T, or Q are woke.

And "archaeology" contains 2 of them!

"Archaeologists" contain 3, so they're even more dangerously woke!

Ed, balls, snipe. 44 is half the hitler number; bisect nazis every day.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Oxford spelling (also Oxford English Dictionary spelling, Oxford style, or Oxford English spelling) is a spelling standard, named after its use by the University of Oxford, that prescribes the use of British spelling in combination with the suffix -ize in words like realize and organization instead of -ise endings.

The belief that ‑ize is an exclusively North American variant is incorrect. The Oxford spelling affects about 200 verbs, and is favoured on etymological grounds, in that ‑ize corresponds more closely to the Greek root, ‑izo, of most ‑ize verbs.

I prefer -ize anyway; z should get more use.

Re moths; I've had them in a bag of flour and they make it taste vile. We may be doomed to a bug-eating future but I'll avoid those thanks.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tesseraction posted:

I'm revoking your spelling lizense.

Jokez on you; Ize never had one.

Ed oh ffs another snipe? The 49 bus goes from Clapham Junction to Shepherds Bush or vice versa. Assuming you're in London.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 15, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Convex posted:

Not at all! I just feel that swapping 'conservatives' for 'tories' is a bit past its sell by date, as there is no real distinction between LAB/CON/LIB except for colour.

Palette-swapped tories.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

It probably is the same thing, it's just nobody realised it was A Thing before so people with it just had to suffer.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

fuctifino posted:

James Cleverly is stopping the small boats....at Luton Airport.

drat we need to get our hands on Albanian small boat technology!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Merry Xmas all! Just ate breakfast, soon will clean the cat tray then have a nice walk through the woods to see if my friendly local petrol station is open for some coffee. Then my neighbours have invited me over for Xmas dinner, so the rest of the day should be spent with 2 nice ladies and their cats (and my cats too, should they decide to wander in).

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Nice Xmas dinner with the nice lesbian couple next door, drank rather too much to be unhungover tomorrow and brought some turkey back for the cat who is now happy and full.

(Other cat turns his nose up at human food. He's weird.)

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 25, 2023

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Brendan Rodgers posted:

It seems to me there's a certain amount of seasoning that tells a cat nose that this isn't food any more.

Depends on the cat; I've got one who'll try eating anything I do and one who's deeply suspicious of the concept that human food is actually food.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

OwlFancier posted:

Perhaps you cat would like the 70's gelatin food.

Sucks to be him then.

Though I suppose it does look a lot like cat food in jelly so he can eat that and pretend.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Skarsnik posted:

He's a good lad

so is Wilf the cat.

More Wilf would be nice but yes, that's the kind of Xmas message we need more of.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

BalloonFish posted:

The "stability" of a vigorously enforced heteronormative nuclear family with strong traditional gender roles.

As opposed to the "stability" of dependable and accessible public services, good housing provision with strong tenancy rights, free education at all levels, good job security, a functional welfare system, communities not dependant on the whims and interests of a handful of large multinationals and so on.

Yeah, mum stays home and looks after the kids and the house while dad works a job that pays enough to support them. If they're not doing that it's because they're lazy and crap and why should the government support them in that? Work harder! Bootstraps, people!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bobby Deluxe posted:

You've all got it wrong. She scattered the chocolates in the street so the peasantry can fight over them.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bobstar posted:

That's not really fair though, he was smarter than the average

FX: wail of mind-destroying horror

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Mebh posted:

Ps. Adopt a cat. Then your bed can look like this too

Way ahead of you.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Miftan posted:

Well, your username checks out.

Neither of them's me,for the record. No crimson whiskers.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pistol_Pete posted:

A Jacobean-style drama about a bunch of vile, power-hungry psychos feuding and backstabbing each other would be great, but we're never going to get it.

Did you never see House of Cards? (UK version, dunno how well the US remake did it.)

Though OK, Urquhart was just one vile, power-hungry psycho.

Happy New Year, y'all! The fireworks seem to have mostly stopped now, so I'm going to try for sleep.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ms Adequate posted:

"What Britain needs less of is people with stable family relationships and the wherewithal and ambition to pursue higher education" - rishi

"Can't go giving the proles ideas, after all!"

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Perfect Element posted:

Today has involved far more scrolling past posts about star trek than I was hoping for.

What about these storms eh? Our bedroom is in the loft, and right now it sounds like a giant is just periodically punching the side of our house. And then there's nothing like waking at 3am to the giant punching your house AND also putting your house through a giant car wash at the same time.

gently caress climate change :mad:

My back fence has blown down.

The local cats are going to be pissed, it was a major transport route.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Ms Adequate posted:

Bab 5 is the best TV show ever made

I saw an episode of that once, and it involved a monster on a secret level that turned out to be a bloke with ridiculously long fingernails silhouetted against a light. My extremely embarrassed friend muttered something about that being the worst episode, but I've avoided it since anyway.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

I thought 300 was hilarious when I first saw it.

I didn't realise for a while that that was completely by accident.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

jaete posted:

Hmm this planned tube strike in London seems pretty spicy, monday to thursday next week

Details in article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67868906

I'm hoping our TFL worker friends get some more money and whatnot, things have been hosed up re: inflation for decades

Handy chart with details (assuming strike goes ahead):

Oh, that's going to be fun, I've got chemo on Tuesday. Hopefully London Overground doesn't include Southeastern or it's an hour and a half bus ride. Or seeing if I can fight my way onto a riverbus I guess.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Tedsville posted:

I'm on Southeastern and they've never been included in TFL overground strikes.

Cool, thanks. I've been WFH the last 4 years or so so wasn't sure if they'd become intertwined.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Wachter posted:

...rascals?

I love how red-tops use words nobody else does. Like "tot" instead of "child"

Psycho Chatbot Rascal needs to be someone's username.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

sebzilla posted:

Looks like he's dropped his dart in the first picture

"And this is how much I give a poo poo about what the Guardian thinks."

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

crispix posted:

no potlitlical correct wheelie bins no weird lite bulbs proper paper tax discs just want me country back

nunna theez indian an chinees an italian takeaways, just greggs from sea to shining sea.

and nunna that vegan rubbish neeva.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Failed Imagineer posted:

Those forrins would probably be burning some kind of ethnic tree...palm tree perhaps?

Oh, they'd be going into parks and cutting down proper Bri'ish trees. Then roasting 'Is Majesty's swans over them or something like that.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Angepain posted:

I feel like there might be some practical challenges to blackmailing people with images of child sexual abuse you filmed on your property and then decided not to release to the police until years afterwards, abuse performed by someone who can easily reveal your involvement if for some reason they feel like they no longer have anything to lose, but admittedly I do not spend a lot of time thinking through this kind of thing

I suppose if you're a child abusing perv your line of thought doesn't go further than "oh gently caress I'll be in the poo poo if the press gets hold of that" and the only thing your blackmailer has to be careful of is not pushing you far enough that you're willing to burn your whole life down.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Just Another Lurker posted:

That was some form of malicious compliance i think and i greatly approve of it. :thumbsup:

:emptyquote:

Give 'em hell!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Angrymog posted:

I got an autism diagnosis in my late thirties, and suddenly everything made sense.

Yeah, I suspect a diagnosis of autism would make a lot of me make more sense.

Or prove I've just been an allistic arsehole all this time, which I suppose would make sense too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yep, doesn't have to be fair, or accurate: shout accusations for long enough and people'll start to assume that there MUST be something in them (example: Jeremy Corbyn).

See also Batmanghelidjh: https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/jan/09/the-hidden-life-of-camila-batmanghelidjh-why-was-her-exoneration-so-widely-ignored

(Yeah, I know it's a G-word article. It's still good.)