Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Forsythia posted:

I'm impressed by the incredible quality of this game, and I'm enjoying the questing, conversations, and looting, but there's one area of BG3 that is giving me trouble. I'm very unfamiliar with how the specifics of DnD combat works, and I sometimes find the big fights against many different foes overwhelming even on the lowest difficulty settings. I'm guessing there is something important I'm overlooking that would make them more manageable – crowd control spells, consumables, cleaving attacks? – but I have no idea where to begin, since I don't know the rules well enough to understand which potential tools have value. There of course are additional facets of the game such as character builds and party compositions that contribute to the outcome of fights too, but I don't know if I should go that far in depth yet.

Do any of you more experienced players have simple recommendations that will ease a new player into doing better with combat? (I know about healing potions, shared inventories, and bonus actions, so that's a good start)

Here are some simple things that you don't have to go far out of your way to do!

Gale the wizard makes for a great Evoker. An Evocation wizard gets a bonus where their aoe spells don't hurt your friends. Take area of effect spells with him! This is a great way to deal with massive numbers of enemies!

A bit further along Shadowheart can learn the "Spirit Guardians" spell which surrounds her with a great damage effect! It's concentration, so it helps to take a perk like war caster to help keep it up. Once you have it whirring you can just run around with her smacking everything she can get within range of and repeat each turn!

Wyll can learn spells like Cloud of Daggers and Hunger of Hadar which are great for grinding up groups too.

Also keep in mind, it's totally fine to say 'I'm not ready for this fight' and go back and get some xp and come back and try it again later. There's no one way to go through the game and especially in act 1 you're really not supposed to just bee line towards the plot advancing as you'll end up under-leveled if you don't do any side stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Shard posted:

I just started a new campaign as a half elf drow because they have some of the best girl faces. And I'm already thinking about making a Dragonborn durge because I think the default build just looks so neat. They really made an alligator man expressive somehow.

Yeah Dragonborn have fantastic faces it’s a shame you see so few of them.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Nope, I've never seen a single t-pose, nor had any stuttering. Only issue has been some quest tag wonkyness and some graphics glitches but otherwise it's been a totally smooth experience.

Same. I have never seen a t pose and all the stuttering I saw went away when I boosted my monitors refresh rate.

There are some slowly loading textures and a few characters with a patch of skin extending into the infinite as of patch 5 tho.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

To get the "Paladin of [Deity]" dialogue do you have to keep a cleric level or just have been a cleric at one point so you have the deity picked?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I'm doing my first honor run as wild magic sorcerer.

Summoning a hostile mephit (25ish hp, summoned another smaller mephit on its first turn) to join the first fight on the nautiloid was uh, yeah I can't believe I survived that. Good thing I had Us!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

Thanks all for the tadpole advice. Will indulge.

What about the Ilithid checks? I know the first time you use the "Authority" check, it says something like "you've lost a part of yourself you will never recover." I assume it's the same as the tadpoles, that it's mostly for flavor but I'm curious if it affects anything if you just never do it.

I believe that's just flavor otherwise most folks lose it the moment you let Shadowheart out?

I've done two full runs without using a single tadpole and other than The Emperor giving you grief about it every now and then I didn't notice it ever coming up.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I blitzed through a comically evil druge run on explorer just to get the cheevos. Came in at 15 hours, which I know is hardly a speedrun but still a fraction of other playthroughs. Durge is kind of hilarious if you just do the most pointlessly evil thing possible in every situation.

Orin especially comes off as a total goof if you have no friends in camp. Oh no you kidnapped the child that I repeatedly told to gently caress off between rounds of killing and eating innocent citizens, not the sharpest tool in Bhaal's murdershed are we?

Also slayer form is just a worse wild shape. Orin is a LOT more deadly without it. She would have won the duel if I wasn't a half-orc. Wasn't expecting her to drop 200 damage in a round goddamn. I'd almost think of recommending not getting it in Act 2 if she gets stuck with slayer form in Act 3 if you don't have it, Idk if she does or not.

And that final fight sequence is a slog at level 9 without any of the op gear. Geez. Maybe I should have made a single friend along the way or something!

Oddly enough the only NPC in my camp was Dame Aylin, who was there because I didn't bother getting the spear to kill her so freeing her and going to kill Ketheric was easier. She was her usual happy let's go fight evil chum self even as I went around collecting hands and slaughtering the city guards who tried to stop me.

Oh and the bromance between Gortash and the Durge is actually incredible. The man gushes over seeing you back and then the Netherbrain just one shots him haha.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I'll repost it because it's legit one of the best line deliveries from Minthara's VA and one of the most heart-wrenching lines in the whole game

Karlach Spoilers Ahead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWI6O-EDhfM

You weren't kidding. :cry:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Hey are the item rarity classes in D&D or are they a Larian addition?

D&D has tiers of magical items but it's not the one Larian uses.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah I love Jaheira's voice acting and the expressions she makes but by the time I get her I usually have my party set and don't wanna be bothered with gearing out another character. Minsc seems like he was done pretty well too but again other than recruiting him that's usually it. Maybe on one of my next dozen playthroughs I'll use them together for as much as I can.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thundarr posted:

That makes me curious, are there any unique lines if you just run directly to the temple of Bhaal, avoiding all of the NPCs that can be Orin in disguise so it's your first encounter with her? I feel like she'd be kind of freaked out by somebody that's better at her schtick than she is.

Nope.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Is the owlbear supposed to be in your camp after you've chased him or does he get lost somewhere else. I can't tell cos some of the other npcs on my file are a bit broken lol

If you freed him from the goblins and gave him the scent to get to your camp he will show up after some long rests if you are camped outside. If you have a lot of other cutscenes saved up you might just need to grind through them (just do a long rest without using supplies on repeat until you run out of events) before his takes priority. You do need to free him from the goblins and give him the scent to find your camp, not just chase him!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

What is the "best" wild heart barb animal?

Bear. You take half damage from everything except psychic. It's always useful and since the barbarian is usually front and center anyway it means you need to devote less resources to keeping them alive or keeping enemies off of them which frees your other characters to do control or aoe stuff.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It does that even if she’s in the party, or at least it did for me

Yup once you see that scene or kill Shadowheart it is in your possession from that point on.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think I might have messed up. Act 3 spoilers about Wyll's questline and Karlach's ending. I didn't go see Mizora before I went to the Iron Throne and didn't realize Duke Ravenguard was going to be there. Now he's dead and Wyll doesn't have anything else to say and I don't know if he's going to get the option of becoming the Blade of Avernus. I'm romancing Karlach and want the option of going to hell with her at the end, is that possible if Wyll isn't the Blade of Avernus?

I know it's possible to go to hell with Karlach without Wyll. I don't know what exactly will happen with your run. Have you been to Ironforge yet? In my first runthrough back before any patches I ended up in a similar spot and the duke just wasn't there and that was the end of it but I don't know if they've addressed this continuity in any of the patches since. Sorry!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

Does strength or dex affect accuracy with throwing weapons? It feels like Karlach has pretty high accuracy with them in my game but I only have at 14 dex so I'm guessing strength governs it?

Correct.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

roomtone posted:

how do you multiclass? that doesn't just mean the subclass you choose, right? cos i'm seeing people talk about combining mage and warrior and that doesn't seem to work.

is there a discrete second class you can take and add to your stats with? also, how do i reclass party members?

You can't do it on Explorer mode, but when you level up there is an option to pick a level in a new class, that's when you do it! :)

To change people's class talk to Withers and ask for a respec! :)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

All of the goblin drums that they use to summon help are destructible, you can just blow up the drums if any of the goblins get near them if you don't have the damage yet to kill all the goblins before they can try.

Only Dror Ragzlin's death will aggro all the goblins. You can just pick them off group by group for the most part.

You can also do the same thing in the Act 2 main bad guy area, which makes the final fight there much, much, easier.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Lore question: Hey why aren't drow under "Elf" in character creation? deep gnomes and grey dwarves don't get their own category!!

In 5e Drow are elves.

They're a different race here because subraces don't have subraces and Larian wanted to split up the Lloth-loyalist and Seldarine drow experience.

It's a game mechanic thing, not a lore thing.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You could theoretically do most of the mountain pass too I suppose. Why you would do that I don't know. But you could.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I think Halsin is bugged. Every time I talk to him there's an option to apologize for flirting with him at the grove party, even if you literally don't speak to him there.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Angry Diplomat posted:

Isn't Dark Sun the game where you can play a cool bug with three arms. I like the cool bugs with three arms.

In Eberron you can be a rad robot who dresses foppishly and engages in train robberies though. So really, who's to say which is the better setting

(It's Spelljammer, Spelljammer is the better setting)

You can also be a cool bug with three sets of arms in Spelljammer!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You can also always long rest without using supplies until all the cut scenes are done!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Always be sure laezel has haste potions. It’s important that she wrecks you as completely as possible.

My poor wizard character in my first playthrough don’t even get the chance to move.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You can keep playing an honor mode game after dying you just won't get the honor mode cheevo at the end. It's not like permadeath unless you want to make it so.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

There's still only one save slot though, so your game couldn't have saved when you were already in an unwinnable situation.

Ah, good point!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

Anyone else get some weird visual bugs in the creche?
specifically with Vlaakith looking all melted in her appearance?

Coincidentally I literally just played through that part on my Lae'zel run and she looked the same as always!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Entropic posted:

lol it was only a matter of time before this game got itself an Arthmoor

Fate spins along as it should.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Medullah posted:

I want to make Lae'zel a Bard just because it's hilarious thinking of her seething in the cutscenes and then playing a lil' ditty on her lute afterwards

I bet her vicious mockery lines are amazing.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I still remember mouthing "what on earth?" the first time I went into that fight and that music started blaring.

LIIIIIVES
ALL MORTAL LIIIIIIVES
EXPIIIIIIIRE

SOULS
GO TO THEIR DOOOOOM
IN FLAAAAAMES

Honestly one of the coolest moments in one of the coolest games, it was an amazing capstone to the whole thing before you buckle down and go save the world. Loved it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Are monks actually good or is it just that they pair with tavern brawling.

You don't need to take the tb route for monks to be amazing.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Even skimming this thread I often see people talking about things and think "I have no idea what that is."

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Is there not a way to make the Shovel summon permanent? I had Gale learn the scroll, but if I use the summon even once the spell disappears permanently :confused:

Did you have Gale prepare the spell and ad the spell to your hotbar from Gale's spellbook? Once you learn it it should be there and that version is the permanent one, unless there is some new bug.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

grack posted:

I'm romancing Lae'zel in my current run and god drat did she just kick my rear end in the duel. It wasn't even close.

Always be sure she has a haste potion for this just to make clear who is in charge.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

While I love the DND lore and all that I think it was only a small part of why I loved BG3, I'd rather see what Larian makes next in a new setting than have them deal with Hasbro if this is how that's going to go. Goddamn Hasbro sucks.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

ZearothK posted:

lol, DnD is 100% going to be the next 40K with a million shovelware licensed games as Hasbro leadership thinks BG3's success can be repeated by throwing the license at anyone willing to take it.

Back to the 90s we go!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

wizard2 posted:

as far as Im aware, actual pen and paper 5e doesnt do any of the poo poo like having kitted out set pieces that change up your playstyle, and I dont recall seeing that many iconic D&D items like Holy Avenger, Bag of Holding, Deck of Many Things, whatever, vs stuff invented for the game

Even things like using the bonus action to flourish and having special attacks like lacerate with certain weapons is not part of 5e. Being able to swap out memorized spells on demand is also not 5e rules as written. There are dozens of examples of them just flat out improving the system, especially for a video game. Hell the Ranger class is almost entirely rewritten and greatly improved for it.

Shard posted:

that's what I'm thinking. Hell the more I think about it, the happier I am that Larian is walking away from the big company. They are now a household name as far as game developers go, they got to make a dream game for them, they made a successful sequel to a game 20 years after the last one which is so rare that it may as well never happen, and now they won't be tied to the demands of a bigger company. Larian seems to truly believe in the idea of independence and are actually well managed so I want them to be preserved as long as possible.

And hopefully they've got enough in the bank now that they can fund themselves. Tbh Larian dumping Hasbro might end up being the best thing that could happen, esp if they keep updating BG3 for free as they seemingly intend to do.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

I had astarion confess he was a vampire and then still do the omg you’re a vampire scene that night. That was a few patches back but still kinda funny.

Bum the Sad posted:

She threw a loving jar of spiders at me I didn’t even know she had.

She’s just the greatest.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

lol how do I unlock this?

I think you just have to get his relation score up high enough without resting to see that bite scene.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Generally speaking is it a steep uphill challenge to fight enemies a level higher? Or should I be able to handle them with good gear / builds / tactics?

My party is level three at trying to fight the swamp hag . The enemies are level four and I'm getting shreked. Like it's not even close.

It's my first playthough, and I'm on the standard difficulty, so I'm still learning mechanics and stuff.

At lower levels much moreso than higher ones. The difference between levels up to level 5 is huge.

I wouldn't do the hag any lower than 4 personally, unless that's the specific challenge you're looking for.

The game gets much easier at level 5, so don't feel bad about just going to level up elsewhere and coming back.

SlothBear fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Mar 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

You know I was going to say Minsc doesn't have a tadpole then I realized he does and now I'm wondering why I've never used him. Hmmm.

Guess that'll be my 47th playthrough or something.