Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

starkebn posted:

Watched "Dredd" again yesterday, still as good as people say. The satire of the awful justice system almost doesn't come through though.

Yeah the director said in an interview they wanted to get more into that and the crazier dredd stuff in the sequels, and they were just using the first one as an introduction/proof of concept type thing.

Man I really wish they had gotten to do a sequel. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Non Compos Mentis posted:

when are they going to re-release the first season of halo with the suit jacking off noises mixed real loud in the soundtrack

Originally in the game they devs were going to have the suite jacking off noises going the entire time you were playing for ever game, just to give you a better sense of the character but some artless gently caress higher up in the publisher made them get rid of them.

God drat management don't know true art when they hear it. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

d00kiemastah posted:

Lol, so is it fair to say that getting rid of piracy was a big motivation behind the move to streaming for studios? It’d make too much sense if movie and TV studios destroy themselves because they were big mad at Pirate Bay

Nah the big push was that the studios saw how successful netflix was and wanted in. Also companies love subscription services, see current I.T/Software industry.

Edit:

Arc Hammer posted:

This is very reassuring they certainly have their priorities straight.

I'm going to laugh so hard when this bombs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cacator posted:

Please Jay, get a haricut... and a beard trim... and while we're at it, a Brazilian wax

Don't listen to them, grew it out, become a wild man, move to a cabin in the woods, write a manifesto!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Stink Billyums posted:

ds9 is the second best 90's tv show about a space station

Agreed. Baywatch: International Space Station was a brilliant show. Really got to show off a more intelligent side of the life-guarding life.

Also the swimsuit spacesuits were hot. They didn't end up going in the water much so um probably not necessary though.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Arc Hammer posted:

Oppenheimer ceded that category so that Godzilla could take it, imo.

Oppenzilla is the better double feature.

And would of been better in real life as well. What I'm saying is Manhattan Project should of directly just tried to make Godzilla's rather than nuclear weapons. Why be one step removed from greatness?

Also would of made the Cold war a lot more interesting.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I would think having Kevin Spacey at your convention would be a major liability issue for the convention.

It's a monster convention apparently according to the name. So I just assume its only for and about people who abuse other people.

I assume it's an FBI honeypot thing or something. :shrug:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

NorgLyle posted:

I legitimately feel bad for Daisy Ridley and John Boyega (and, to a lesser extent, Oscar Issac) because they are just as capable as Mark Hammill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford but they didn't get to have movies that made them into pop culture celebrities. Oscar Issac, like Ford, is good enough that sleepwalking his way through three stupid films isn't going to do much aside from get him some money and build his brand but the other two should have got a lot more out of being in Star Wars.

I mean the two stars of twilight manage to put that garbage behind them and both go on to good careers, so think they'll be fine. I mean outside crazy online star wars fan assholes no once cares about, I've never seen anyone say anything bad about their performances or anything.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Milo and POTUS posted:

Honestly i think they should just let will smith host next time

then they should hire that evil younger clone of will smith to smack him in the face half way through.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

The leaked Frankenstein dark ride in that area seems pretty neat actually. Not sure why they are calling it Dark Universe when it has nothing to do with that aborted shared universe.

They probably spent a ton of money developing branding and what not for it, may as get something out of it I guess? But yeah not a theme park person -last one I went to would of been two decades ago now- so probably not the best person to wage in on this, but a theme park area built around the old universal monsters actually seems like a pretty cool idea to me. kitchy fun for the adults, scary for the younger kids, around Halloween you could do a lot of stuff with it. Honestly far better idea than the whole "cinematic universe" idea was.

Although as someone -I think a page or two ago- mentioned, dark universe could of worked too if they weren't trying to make it all 300 million dollar marvel'esq action type poo poo. Series of vaguely connected smaller budget horror films by writers/directors who like the old movies/genre, could of worked well. They just got greedy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mystes posted:

I'm holding out for a gritty spongebob reboot starring idris elba

I mean if it was just a short one off thing making fun of gritty re-boots, from what little I've seen of spongebob that could really work.

Seems a show that could run really well with genre satire, and lovely gritty remakes is a genre that's ripe for making fun of.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mystes posted:

I think that larry david attacking elmo was funny but if it would make wil wheaton feel better, I also think it would be funny if elmo called out a hit on larry david

So I have no idea what this who larry david attacking elmo is a bout, but I trust David and I don't trust elmo, so without looking into it I'm just going to assume it was in self defense.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Stink Billyums posted:

they were both on the today show

Elmo was clearly trying to eat his hand. Put that elmo filth in jail already!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

No Mods No Masters posted:

Why do so many shows release the first two episodes in the first week. Is it just a lack of confidence?

Anyway I feel like 1 hour a week of tokyo vice is the max I can put up with, 2 hours up front is a big ask

Not sure if this is the reason but often the first episode of a show isn't that representative of what the show's like as there's often quite a bit of set up/exposition in the first episode, and even just the cast and crew are still figuring stuff out, so first episodes can sometimes be a bit rough. Particular if it was a pilot that was filmed a bit before.

On the audience side, yeah probably a bit of luck of confidence, the broadcasts may be thinking if they watch two episodes they may get more invested in the show, and be more likely to remember to watch it next week.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jose Oquendo posted:

IIRC, the first Twister was fine, but the big draw was the crazy CG effects. This movie won’t have that same gimmick so I’m not sure what the point of the movie is.

That's what got people in to see it, but it was a fun, decently paced, pop corn flick with a surprisingly good cast. Not the best movie in the world by far, but a lot better than it had any right to be.

The people in the trailer for the new one seem a mix of boring and annoying characters, and got the feeling from the trailer films going to be a dull dreck with just a lot of people yelling about boring poo poo no one cares about, while a wind machine blows into their face from just off screen.

There's wasn't really any sense of fun or adventure or thrills or even danger. But yeah as Jose said, been enough big budget disaster movies that a few houses getting wrecked by nature isn't anything new.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
JP movie set in the distant future where dinosaurs have taken over, started a new civilization post humans, eventually got into genetic engineering, and then created a Trash age(?) park, filled with genetically recreated humans, who obviously get loose and eat all the dinosaurs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tighclops posted:

JP but instead of dinosaurs it's BEES

But bees are our friends, they make delicious honey! Don't see no lazy dinosaurs making honey!

They were around during dinosaur times though, as far back as 130 million years!

Also if you Google "how long have bee's existed" it auto suggests "how long have bees existed on this planet." So I'm pretty sure google knows bees are some sort of alien species traveling the universe and providing honey for all friendly like, as well.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

kalel posted:

JP but they're all giant autonomous animatronic sex toys. keep everything else the same, this is key

That sick gently caress Hammond bring his grandkids to the park.

Jesus, the board was right to be worried.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

bitterandtwisted posted:

JP but members of an exclusive fine dining society are bringing back long extinct creatures to eat and invite our group of protagonists to sample the delights. Third act twist: you were eating hominids

Not sure how much of a twist that is. If a bunch of billionaires are getting together to eat clones, I'm just going to assume it's going to be clones of themselves. The twist would be if it's not cloning, but their just eating themselves from the future, to you know, gain their future selves powers and what not.

Well if time machines are ever invented I just got myself a got myself a great business idea!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Rita-rex and the Shawshank redemption.

Mr. T-rex did not kill his wife and her lover!!! Also do you know how hard it is for a t-rex to use a rock hammer. Such tiny, tiny arms.

It does not have a happy ending. :(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So in Jurassic WW2 films, which dinos are on the good side and which dinos are on the nazi side?

Feel like t-rex is defiantly on the good side.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Jurassic park, but it's just the good Mario brothers movie.

But also the dinosaur win, like they should of to begin with.

Edit: Back to the future: Jurassic Armageddon The Dino's in the park get smart, read some history books, create a time machine, and train some dinosaur miners how to go into space and stop the asteroid from hitting earth and wiping their kin out in the first place.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 12, 2024

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

lobsterminator posted:

Jurassic Park, but dinosaurs have evolved the ability to speak and they live with humans in harmony and racism. A T-rex cop is paired with a black lady and they have to learn to overcome their differences.

Oh you can't not include the poster:

90's dinosaur puppets were great.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Space Kablooey posted:

The carnivores are the bad guys

Oh man are the good guys not going to win Dino WW2.

:(

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
T-rex vs the Nixon administration

It could work as political thriller or horror movie!

Or both!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

colonelwest posted:

They need to just blow their wad and make a big dumb movie we’re dinosaurs terrorize the world. They’ve been teasing that poo poo for 30 loving years now. There is nothing else left to do with the franchise.

If they do this they will make that the b plot, the film will spend nearly on the time on some bs main plot that no one cares about.

Dinosaurs rule the world now, oh that nice, but we really need to make sure this talent show still goes a head, so we can win the money to save the local community center!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cubone posted:

in 2019 lucasfilm pivoted from their "make one star wars movie a year every year until the end of time! :buddy:" plan to their current "let's... just never actually make one ever again 😞" plan, which has lasted about as long and is working out much better

Between comic book movies dying and star wars stuff dying hasn't been a good last few years for disney. I wonder if they'll go back to producing good quality original animations!

Hahaha, but yeah it will be interesting to see if they just continue to try and bleed starwars and marvel till every last drop is gone, or if they'll see what other ip they can make a blockbuster series out of.

Probably both.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Improbable Lobster posted:

i hope we see disney die within the next 5-10 years, faster if possible, tia

As nice as that would be, they do seem to be one of the few studios actually still making profits.

Also just as large as Disney is, Jesus they would have to screw the pooch hard and fast to be gone within 5-10.

poo poo they have $205 Billion in assets, they'd have to make some seriously bad investments to burn through that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Hackers film 1995 posted:

wtf! the reviews are in for madame webb and they are bad! wtf! sony? wtf

Say it ain't so!!!!!!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yes. Yes, I did it. I killed Yvette. I hated her, so much...

it-it- the f - it -flam - flames. Flames, on the side of my face, breathing-breathl- heaving breaths. Heaving breaths... Heathing...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Quoting Madeline Kahn

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
If your going to re-do a 90's comic cartoon it really should of been Batman: The Animated Serious. As you know that was legitimately good, with great writing and amazing art style that still holds up incredibly well today.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

1glitch0 posted:

the first jurassic park movie should have been about them making their connecting flights to get to the island and ended when they started to open the big jurassic park gate

The second part needs to mostly concentrate on a plot line that doesn't go anywhere, is never resolved, and is pretty much completely unrelated to the rest of the plot. You know just to pad things out a little bit.

Maybe give the audience one off screen death by dinos. Just as a little treat.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

I’d probably prevent my mom from taking that trip to the Amazon where she was researching spiders right before she died

But then she'd go to your house on a trip where she researches spiders right before you both die!

That's just how time travel works, I don't make the rules.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Sunk Dunk posted:

how do people at sony continue to keep their jobs. they are like 0-5 now

Did they do the spiderman animation ones that made a ton of money and everyone seems to actually like?

If they did, I mean the sony team arn't total failures I guess?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

dreezy posted:

i guess with feature animations you cant just throw some legacy artists in front of green screens and locations with tax credits and have them read lines from hack screenwriters and hope to cobble together a semi coherent movie spackled together with reshoots adr and cgi, you gotta actually plan that poo poo

Well yeah ideally with animation you got to plan everything well in advance. But you do still sometimes have bottom tier dreck like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3o2CTDZ4cs

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywaR-Lq_ayk
Which yeah not sure how much planing went into these two. (the story about the hard drive being stolen for foodfight sounds like BS to me.)

(Okay yeah we all know the second one technically isn't an animation, but it's getting very close to being one.)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

the only food fight I want to see is cobra fighting a piece of pizza with a pair of scissors

I want to see the movie where he loses that fight. The piece of pizza just ends up going totally to town on Cobra.

That jerk totally would of had it coming.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Crescent Wrench posted:

This whole digression is very disheartening. I expected more media literacy from the Star Wars chat thread.

You right. So looking at it from a more straightforward narrative perspective, the humans are fascists therefor the empire, thus making the bugs the rebels. You can see this in the humans having all the huge ships and what not and bugs using guerrilla tactics to fight.

We can also assume there is a "Luke Skywalker" bug out there somewhere, who was but a simple farmer bug who had a call to action by an old wise mystical bug, learnt mystical powers, and launched a rock at Buenos Ares AKA the death star. The second part of the movie up to it's end is the empire strikes back, where the humans retaliate in force and the bugs are put on the back foot (back feet?), and we can only assume in any official sequel -the made for tv dreck don't count- it would of concluded the arc with the skywalker bug facing off and killing the evil human controlling everything, thus defeating the evil human empire and ridding it's presences from the galaxy once and for all.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Mordja posted:

What if his name was Han Solo because he's Chinese?

I mean sure if you have Gorge Lucas directing they could probably be a type of bug that's heavily coded with offensive stereotypes to be Chinese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

No Mods No Masters posted:

I don't know if I can say that about someone who lost in trivia to rich evans

Honestly after that massive loss you could almost say Jay is more of a TNG fan than Mike.

How embarrassing