Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

LMAO. loving why? He seemed like he got a predictable consequence for his actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
Happy birthday SB! You and my wife share birthdays!

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Air Skwirl posted:

Happy birthday SB, it's also mine, and Richard Nixon's. It was my cousin's yesterday. He gets to share it with Elvis.

happy birthday to you as well

e: i got a new pair or inline skates. i did so much of this as a kid and went to a rink for the first time in a decade on new years eve. forgot how much fun it is. looking forward to tearing up the neighborhood on my new blades.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
got drat fizz, that's wild.

totally unrelated - have noticed an increase of florida license plates around austin and let me tell you folks, they are not good drivers.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 10, 2024

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Got a job interview for a Customer Success Manager position with an Australian tech company. It's remote work too. I don't hate my current job but I'm applying on the off chance the office Christmas parties are mandatory events in Australia....

Atlassian? Have only heard good things about working there from colleagues.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Ornery and Hornery posted:

How many of you make $200k or more?

here. i have several engineers and managers that report in to me that also make over this, though they are tenured and strong technologists. i maintain a pretty good work life balance and am able to be present and get the kiddo to practices and pursue creative hobbies - i've been fortunate to find companies that are aligned with the balance I want and I also am very proactive in protecting this space.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

3 DONG HORSE posted:

So I did an experiment and went off my Vraylar for 2 weeks just to see how I would handle myself. I felt good and more active, like I wasn't being subdued mentally (also I ate less). But I noticed I was also more prone to spending and mood switches but nothing extreme happened thankfully. I'm scared to bring this up with my shrink (though I know I should) because she'll probably get mad at me, but I feel like this is a sign I need to rejigger my dose or supplement my meds somehow. I don't know. Bipolar is weird. I might have just been in a good mood by default and just got lucky nothing bad happened in my life to spiral me. gently caress. It's hard to explain but I feel like the Vraylar, as useful as it seems to be at stopping manic episodes, leaves a slightly gray shade over my life.

Sorry just ranting. This isn't something I feel comfortable talking about in real life yet.

Definitely talk with them. Finding the right dose or best medicine for treatment can take time and you should feel comfortable discussing with your psychiatrist.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
I had a flight from sfo get canceled on Thursday due to max 9 grounding. Thankfully could book a 1 stop connecting through Denver to get home around the same time. Had ~10 minutes to catch the connecting flight, so cut it close and also got COVID for the second time during my travels.

Thankfully not too bad - tired, a little achy and like, congested sinuses draining into my throat our the most annoying things.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Bird in a Blender posted:

You need an appointment for a passport? I thought you just went to the post office. I actually need to get a passport for my kid since we're planning to go to Canada this summer.

Yeah, you definitely need an appointment and both parents present for kid's passport. Get the photos done beforehand at CVS or something. Wait times can vary but I'd get it done ASAP if you want to be sure to have it for the summer. We renewed ours last fall and the kiddos definitely took a couple weeks longer to show up.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Dango Bango posted:

Can you expand on why India won't like the movie?

My guess is the upper caste are not fans of any slander coming their way.

Has also been a problem in US tech companies when lower caste employees want to talk about it and upper cast employees freak.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-an...own%20behavior.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Thermos H Christ posted:

I finally watched John Wick and found it kind of repetitive and boring.

Boo this man, he hates fun.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Amy Pole Her posted:

Jesus Biden’s getting worse and worse. What’re they doing. How woefully incompetent.. and woefully depressing. Ugh gently caress

The dems refusal to take any kind of principled stand on... any topic is so frustrating. Trotting out this senile douche who only has support because the other choice is voting in someone who will become a dictator is a wild thing to see. The children of the silent generation suck a big one.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Freaquency posted:

I mean I’m out here locally trying to get candidates that actually represent me elected, but sure I’m the one at fault here :rolleyes:

Only having a senior citizen as a viable candidate is a problem with roots from a decade-plus ago, complaining about it now doesn’t fix anything. What are you doing about it to make sure it doesn’t happen again? These people don’t just spring from the loving ether, you have to actually have quality candidates at local and state levels to have a chance in hell of getting what you want. Right wing freaks battled for each and every seat they could for the entirety of Obama’s presidency while the left sat on their laurels and now we have to do the same to unfuck it all.

I think the DNC not actively working against progressives would be a start. They can't weed out good candidates that are a scooch further left than they'd like to uplift empty suits like mayor pete and gavin loving newsom. The national and state parties are 100% responsible for their bench lacking quality candidates.

e: i don't have time, or rather the time I do have I don't give to politics, but I do give money to specific candidates. I refuse to give to any party at any level.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 26, 2024

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Mr. Nice! posted:

For those not following, Trump just got a verdict against him for defaming E. Jean Carroll of $83.3m.

it's funny, but alex jones's verdict has meant gently caress all and the longer it goes, the more it looks like he's going to just kinda keep on doing what he's doing.

LeeMajors posted:

As far as student loans, I dunno he gave up at the first hurdle while they forgave billions in PPP loans to fraudsters and small business tyrants with no opposition. He loving ran on this.

Much in the way that “the purpose of a system is what it does,” Joe Biden’s actions speak louder than his ineffectual words. 50 years of his “leadership” telegraphed this exact sequence of events, and I’m not surprised people are uninspired by his bullshit.

this is what does it for me. a slam dunk to help folks out and they just gave up. tried nothing and all out of ideas.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 26, 2024

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
e: quote != edit

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

BlindSite posted:

Outsider perspective question:

The thing I can't work out with the Democratic party is, what's their plan here? Who's quaterbacking this election and what do they honestly think is their path to victory?

This is the core of the problem - they exist solely as 'not the fascists' and even at that are only barely effective. They don't have plans or substance or principles they run on, just they aren't the other side.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Went to Hot Wheels Monster Truck show and it wasn’t as good as Monster Jam. They did have a truckosaurus though, which was cool. The trucks themselves didn’t do a whole lot of tricks, mostly just running over cars. Kid still loved it and that’s all that matters though.

Saw this same one and got a great photo of my son’s reaction to truckosaurus emerging. He also thought the motocross jumps were p cool. While I agree monster jam is a bit more entertaining, was a fun way to spend a day with the kiddo.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Timby posted:

SMS marketing messages generally cost a fraction of a cent per text sent, it's really not a significant cost for a campaign.

There are likely fewer automated texts/mass messages going out than you'd imagine. Over the past year for both toll free usage and to avoid carriers blocking for spam, there was registration and validation of use cases that tooling required. Not particularly high bars, but bars that didn't exist before.

Most political texts I get come from volunteers using their own devices or possible provided devices.

Timby posted:

I don't know how Iowa became so blood-red. When I left here in 2010, we had had two consecutive Democratic governors (Tom Vilsack and Chet Culver), we had a reliably Democratic seat in the Senate (Tom Harkin had the seat for 20 years) and we had legalized marriage equality.

I came back three years ago. Now we have an utter ghoul in the governor's mansion in the form of Kim Reynolds and two demons in the Senate, the undying Chuck Grassley and the unfathomably evil Joni Ernst. And the second district is represented in Congress by COVID denier Ashley Hinson, who is just dumb as a stump.

What happened, Iowa? :smith:

aging white people and Trump

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Kalli posted:

Mortal Kombat while bad, knows exactly what you're here for and quickly dispenses with anything but that.

The setup between fights is relatively minimal, they bring the characters and their motivations to the screen well, and boom, it's just death match after death match with like a couple of minutes in between. And yet manages to bring together a diverse cast, give... some of them motivations and has a relatively cohesive story.

yeah, i agree this is why it worked. it knew what it was, what the audience wanted and delivered. some of my first non-christian music cd's were the mk1 & 2 movie soundstracks and... Jewel's Pieces of You.

haven't thought about the saint in a long time and used to watch it a lot when I was younger. may need to rewatch.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Pron on VHS posted:

A few months ago I made a post here calling the Mazda CX-5 a boring, soulless car. I would like to apologize for that, I was not familiar with Mazda's game. As a proud new owner of a CX-50, I can say that Mazda loving rules. What a wonderful car. I want a Mazda 3 next.

i rented one last fall and really want to pick up a cx-50. solid car imo.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Shrimpy posted:

I haven't seen the Sonic movies, so I can't talk to his performance in them, but Idris Elba is great in the Jungle Book remake. Just an all-star performance.

they're lots of fun. our son loves them and i've enjoyed watching them with him.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah for me it’s a Seamaster, but I have the same hang up where I can’t justify that huge of an expense for a watch.

I also drool over some of the more expensive Seiko reissues, but again :homebrew:

The nicest watch I own is a Seiko automatic SARB033. It's a nice steel watch that I go through spurts of wearing -- I have a garmin digital watch/fitness tracker that I also like to wear. I need to get the Seiko serviced as it will gain ~2 minutes a day when I'm wearing it regularly and it has it's reserve largely full.

I have a few quartz gshocks I also quite like and will rotate through.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

I could ostensibly buy a Rolex but had the realization probably 5 years ago it will never make sense to own one and I'm ok with that. For now, this Seiko is a very nice watch and likely the nicest I'll own and I'm ok with that.

The submariner's and datejusts are gorgeous time pieces that are incredibly well built, just not for me, at least for the near future.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

Oh yeah I don’t think that seiko is the pinnacle of watch design or anything, but lovely cheaper watches that just Do The Job are my jam. Seiko and citizen (and Casio, honestly) are really loving good at it too.

totally agree. it's also a well built timepiece that works very well.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

I used to be great at calc but I haven’t used it in nearly 20 years. God I hope my kid doesn’t ask for help in 10 years.

This. I was a non science major but took 3 semesters of calculus and they were easy As since I took calculus in high school. Didn’t take the ap test, but calculus just clicked for me in college.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 7, 2024

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

My daughter wants to go ice skating and learn to roller skate, and although I used to be a pretty passable skater and rollerblader (thanks Mighty Ducks and Airborne lol), I’m nervous that my ligaments are going to shoot out of my knees and hips and ankles like an abandoned cartoon couch.

have done similar with my kiddo. Roller blading was much easier to get back at and feel confident since I did that way more than ice skating. i picked up my first new pair of skates in over 2 decades and have been digging it.

ice skating i'm passable, but have lost a lot of the confidence I used to have. he did a few rounds of ice skating lessons and I think that has helped with skiing and now rollerblading.

kiimo posted:

Maybe just stay off Devil's Backbone

was moon doggie augie one of jack black's first roles? that and mighty ducks definitely kicked off a decade plus of roller blading for me and my friends.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Intruder posted:

Aren't teflon pans generally machine washable? I don't because they're easy to hand clean and I'd rather stick a larger number of smaller dishes in the dishwasher instead but I thought they were dishwasher safe

nah, a lot of pans will say they are but it is definitely bad for them in the long run. same thing with running nice knives through.

i have thoughts and opinions about loading and my wife and I are generally aligned on how to do so. neither of us is really bothered enough by the others approach to take over doing it.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 9, 2024

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Joey Freshwater posted:

My experience was different. They saw the washing of feet of different backgrounds/religions and one guy was like oh look more liberal woke bullshit and then the Jesus line dropped and they immediately backed down and were like “oh that’s a good message yeah I liked that”

I, they, uh… what?

How illiterate do you have to be about your religion to not immediately know what a commercial with people washing feet is going to be about?

Also, Twister remake can see itself into the suckzone and disappear.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 12, 2024

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
I was raised by fundamentalist Presbyterians. That’s like, kindergarten Sunday school material.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Docjowles posted:

Speaking of Jesus what is with this loving Creed comeback. They were in that unhinged Paramount ad with Tua and Patrick Stewart, then I randomly started hearing them in the grocery store "inoffensive pop music" mix. I hadn't thought about Creed in like 20 years and was very happy to keep it that way

I guess they're doing a reunion tour this year which is unfortunate

my man

it was solid meme culture fodder for middle aged dudes signaling isolation and like, listlessness or being a bit of a loser and like all pop music, planted ear worms in a new generation of people.

same thing with tracy chapman and 'fast car' or whatever the song's name is. it re-emerged in a cringy video of a butch lady lip synching it and it found new life.

tl;dr: life is a mixed bag and you take the good with the bad.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

Oh gently caress.

*starts building bunker to hide from the amassing, incoming wave of Von Dutch trucker hats*

the affliction tees and stitched/bedazzled jeans lmao. soon.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

lol, you tell 'em Joe. i'm sure the people laying off thousands of employees to 'grow' quarterly profits will listen.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

General Dog posted:

The stunning one for me was that you can’t drag an attachment from an open email onto your desktop or into a folder anymore. That extremely basic, ancient functionality was deemed unnecessary by some dimwit. It also appears that you can’t open an attachment from an email directly into its corresponding desktop app, it only comes up in a preview window within Outlook and you have to download it before doing anything else with it.

Essentially it seems like they’ve removed any functionality from the desktop app that wasn’t already in the web app. Mind-boggling.

Wonder if they've stopped building a native windows app and are using a webview or have moved to web driven api's vs system api's. Likely a cost saving measure to remove redundancy ro costs. You should shed a capitalist tear for their efficiency and cost savings for the shareholders.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

LeeMajors posted:

I know I’m a decade late but I finally watched Pacific Rim and holy poo poo that movie whips rear end.

It's great. action, from start to finish. i always wanted to know more about cherno alpha's exploits.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

saintonan posted:

He's also prohibited from taking a loan from anyone registered in New York State (which is like all of them), so only like Putin or the Saudis would be able to front him that kind of cash.

as if that isn't already the case

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

kiimo posted:

Adulthood is realizing nobody wants to hear that you got a raise and it is very uncouth and gauche to even mention it, even to your own mother

By the way, I got a raise today.

congrats! it's not gauche. my friends and i celebrate folks securing the bag.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

kiimo posted:

I don't care how much you dress it up you'll never fool me into playing Dark Souls again.

Three times is my limit.

elden ring owns... even if i did just kinda drop it after raya lucaria.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Kalli posted:

I work in medical software. This suit is acting like we can use it to write patient summaries.

No you loving can't.

there are... a lot of startups working to do this. we've had a few hackathon projects working to get a good health history/visit prep for our clinicians to use before a telehealth consult. we're really looking for ways to help efficiency that won't impact care quality or hallucinate any kind of health or screening result data.

Docjowles posted:

Part of my job is helping our developers light less money on fire in their usage of AWS and I am always very busy. Like come on guys some services basically have a “pay less money” check box and they don’t loving check it!!!

AWS costs can bloat so quickly and are also so easy to reign in. We've shaved at least a million off our spend in the past year. i've also had to get much better at vendor renewal and negotations to get savings.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Feb 22, 2024

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug
Congrats General Dog. Wish you and the Doctor all the best. This year will be my wife and my 11th anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

My gut tells me that surge pricing is ultimately a money loser. Fast food has one thing going for it, predictability. You know what you’re going to get, how much it’s going to cost, and how long it’ll take. When you start taking one of those away, people tend to find alternatives, which there are plenty of in fast food.

it will be -- i worked for a delivery app for a while and our surge pricing was meant to be a deterrent when supply (drivers) and demand (customers) was out of whack in a given market -- it wasn't a make money button. in fact, we viewed making money off of it as a failure in our forecasting and ability to make sure we had enough drivers.

in terms of markup it will generally be around 30%, but really depend on restaurant. markup was supposed to be the way to 'hide' fees since the research and focus groups we ran consistently showed people would expect food would cost more through the app and be ok with an overall higher fee % amount if applied via markup instead of a lower, explicit stated service or delivery fee :shrug:. the problem is most apps are doing markup + fess and some orders when we were building out our markup system would have 50%+ in fees. I flagged this wasn't ok pricing and was overrode and marked the beginning of the end at that job.

Abugadu posted:

No, it's the biggest problem. It's a massive part of why modern capitalism is a shitshow. Investors keep falling for the same stupid poo poo while trying to chase a golden goose, CEOs who have golden parachutes have zero incentive to maintain long-term prospects for a company's health because they're being graded on a month-to-month basis, consumers are so stretched that they default to lowest price possible not out of choice, but necessity, barriers to entry to the marketplace get higher.

this is hitting the nail on the head. executives at most companies aren't incentivized to take a long term vision for stability and success because they aren't expected to make just a profit, they have to grow their profit quarter over quarter. add to this a lot of large businesses no longer viewing their success and societal success as intertwined as a part of communities and we get where we are. consistent trend chasing to try and find profits.