Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Uh oh Granddads hit the sauce and not making sense again
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1747818968549634411

I was looking at the Mustang Eco boost a few months ago and now I constantly get facebook posts about EVs and I was taken aback by how many people just violently hate EVs. These people just think they're the worst, you're an idiot if you like them, they're ruining the country. Just ready to commit a hate crime because someone drives them. Completely unhinged and irrational behavior. Then I realized, oh wait, they've been listening to Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Apparently right wing conspiracy theorists are saying Taylor Swift and the NFL are in collusion as part of a psy op to get Biden elected and that's why KC doesn't get flagged for pass interference.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Almost Smart posted:

I could be wrong, but I don’t remember TS endorsing Biden so much as she took the mildest of stands against MAGA lunacy and all the horrible regressive poo poo that entailed.

I’d wager a pretty healthy portion of voters aren’t so much pro-Biden as they are anti-Trump.

Well they're waiting for KC to win the super bowl before the CIA activates her pro-Biden chip for the endorsement. Kind of like Naked Gun.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Couldn't the liberal shadow cabal just get Taylor Swift to endorse Biden without concocting a relationship with Travis Kelce and rigging NFL games?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

"Woke" has also lost its magic because people started asking them to define it and they all melt down in an incoherent ramble trying to answer it. So woke is out now too.

Woke is just anything conservatives don't like at this point. I saw an article calling a tennis tournament woke because they had some kind of rules that the spectators couldn't talk during play or something.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

rekko posted:

I keep getting pestered to be in a tracking poll and I've so far ignored it. I know I'm just one data point, but I think probably everyone I know would also just be like nah lol not clicking some link in an unsolicited text

You'd be surprised how many people will just click a link to take a survey! Although, the rules now are you aren't supposed to send someone a text for that unless they specifically opted in to be sent a text! Most reputable vendors who these campaigns use to send these texts adhere to that. Well, ostensibly.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Achilles was a whiney bitch, Hector was a wuss, Paris was a coxcomb, basically no one is likable in the Illiad. Ajax was the most heroic. The gods didn't even pay him any favors. And he was trained by centaur. He would have lived too if Odysseus didn't run his loving mouth. Don't get me started on Odysseus!

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

Signal boosting this lol

I need this March trial, man. So many lols to be had.

I read the Fox News article on this and it said he had the support of a whopping ten other truckers, but maybe the boycott will pick up more steam.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

redshirt posted:

Is not the very core of MAGA, the beating heart of the hate and delusion, the small business owner? The roofer, the trucker, the electrician with 2 employees? The Self Made Man who needs no one and hates taxes (and other things)?

the people who Trump would never pay if they ended up doing a job for him lol

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Catastrophe posted:

Can anyone translate this into English?

He needs to go back to making crime stoppers videos about how guys who steal air conditioners will be tormented in the flames of hell, complete with wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Obsidianheart posted:

The people who got hosed over by Trungus usually convince themselves the fault belonged to an aide or low-level staffer who will absolutely be getting fired for this gently caress-up.

Trump can deflect blame any which he wants and they'll buy it. The moderate take is people are so distrustful of "establishment" politics they'll cling to whatever the "outsider" says but I think that's being too generous. I think they're just dumb as hell and they love what he says about bombing Mexico or draining swamps or whatever gets them riled and it's just easier mentally to accept everything else he says.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Nothing more "woke" than living without the constant fear of nuclear annihilation.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

The answer is simple, forbid the CDC from investigating this. It worked for gun violence

My company has the contract for that current survey - I'm the project coordinator - and we got pulled into a congressional hearing because someone complained that we included a pre-incentive with the invitation letter.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

That graph says it's anyone who says they've been domestically abused at any time in their lives. Like I'm sure I've earned a dope-slap upside the head.

Not trying to belittle violence survivors but it's just not specific enough to be useful for much.

I don't know what the sites are using but yes if they are using the CDC NISVS then that's not meant for geographic estimates of prevalence. There's also a lot of different things that could be lumped into DV that are still bad of course but it's everything from unwanted text messages to rape. It would be nice to know what questions those sites are using because it's not just a survey about domestic violence. If they're just looking at lifetime prevalence of any incident that could also be anything from a spouse to an uber driver. I would assume they are at least reporting DV only when the offender is a significant other or family member, which would be the most likely case anyway.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Strong Sauce posted:

very smart gavin i'm sure this won't come back to bite you when you run for president...

https://twitter.com/markets/status/1762831969690255650

this loophole was made because gavin is friends with a billionaire franchisee of panera bread. so its there for no real reason other than, "i'm really corrupt"

This is so weird. How does this apply to like every restaurant that serves bread at the beginning of a meal? Does it not count because it's not a menu item? Does that mean all they have to do is add it to the menu and no longer give free bread? Does it apply to like, Olive Garden bread sticks? What impact might this have for the overall bread economy?

Actually nevermind, I guess it doesn't apply because a restaraunt serving bread like that wouldn't be a fast food item.

What about like, Dunkin Donuts, though? Do donuts count as bread? What is the legal definition of bread?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The Stroker Ace posted:

It’s the immunity one that has me anxious as poo poo. I couldn’t even talk about it with friends last night.

Sounds like a bread bribe

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Everything Trump experiences always has to be the biggest most unprecedented thing in history

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

So many people were sure there was no way Trump was going to win and he did and they were all taken aback so now they're afraid of the jinx is what I think it comes down to.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I'd like to see how people answer the follow-up question "Why do you think Biden is more dangerous than Trump?" I imagine most of the answers will go back to immigration "he's letting the invaders take over" or a bunch of mumping nonsense about "stopping woke." Then you'll have a smaller demographic of QAnon conspiracy theorists who think he's trying to steal our precious essence to power a drill that will unleash demons from hell something something don't buy electric vehicles.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The right-wing stories from dubious sources named things like "DAILY PATRIOT TELEGRAPH" or "MONEYFEED BLOG" probably get a ton of clicks. Just imagine how many older conservative Internet users just open up a tab and spend hours on scrolling through it rather than navigating to specific news sources. That would require using a search engine or actually typing in a URL which is way too advanced for these people

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

PainterofCrap posted:

To anyone wondering why Joe Biden’s approval/disapproval numbers are where they are:

the entire mass media either misrepresenting data, actively ballooning minor negative bullshit, or outright not reporting when either of the above can’t be done.

Making it a news story every time an illegal immigrant commits a crime is a tried and tested strategy going back hundreds of years that will surely rile up your base. It's so easy.

Out of nowhere the other day I actually saw a story that discussed how decades of research by criminologists has actually shown immigrants commit less crime and the majority of comments were "That data is bullshit!" You can't win with data.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Scags McDouglas posted:

No, no that couldn't be true. No.

No way.

Isn't that like a popular historical/tourist spot?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Draven posted:

Depends on why you're going to the eagles nest. If it's because of the historical context? Awesome.

If it's because its the vacation home of your favorite fascist on the other hand...

Kind of like it's OK to go to a Patriots game as long as you aren't rooting for the Patriots

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

InsertPotPun posted:

honestly everyone knew trump was a clown his entire life. i grew up in the 80's and was perfectly aware that "trump" was a tacky clown from...literally everything.
he just happened to get lucky and become "the great white hope"

I have an In-Fisherman book about catfishing from 2004 and the forward is a dedication to a well known catfisherman who died and in one part it explicitly uses Donald Trump as an example of how not to live your life in contrast to the simple catfishman

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Data Graham posted:

I might still be blearily waking up but I feel like the thing about polls is just that they might capture the opinion breakdown of a population, but they don't tell you a drat thing about potential turnout.

Like OK you found that Trump is ahead by 5 points in land-line cold-calls, but then he gets BTFOd on election day. Your polling approach might have various flaws and biases like it only targets olds who pick up the phone etc, or it might be biased in some other way, but the one thing it will never tell you is how many people will actually show up to vote. Because that's voluntary on their part, but polling is YOU seeking THEM out, in proportions that have nothing whatsoever to do with what energizes turnout on one side or the other on election day.

Am I stupid or can it be that simple?

Polls are just one piece of the puzzle as other posters have alluded to, but they still rely on samples that take into account for nonresponse and that are supposed to be representative of the demographic of voters. Telephone surveys also don't just reach landlines either, any company doing a poll probably has access to cell phone frames. They also don't just look at raw data as another poster alluded to.

Polls are necessarily imperfect. By necessity they have to be done quickly so they might not have a very large sample and they can't rely on more robust methods like address based sampling which would involve multiple mailings over time and multiple modes of response (e.g., a web and paper option).

And the biggest issue of course with any survey is, do your questions and the response you get actually represent reality? But again, they have more robust data sources to compare to when they use polls to make predictions. So no, it's not just that simple, polls are necessarily flawed, but it's not like the people who study these things are unaware of that.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Rittenhouse can't even get into college lol his applications have been denied at ASU and Texas A&M and he still hasn't enrolled in community college. He also dropped out of high school to take online classes, probably because he was bullied. I'm guessing he was bullied because he was obsessed with being a cop throughout school and those two things usually go together.

This is a guy who would be a complete loser in life if he wouldn't have murdered those brown people and got away with it. Now he is a hero of the right wing and that says all you need to know about gun nuts. They worship a complete bitchmade losing loser because he lived out their fantasy of "standing his ground" lol.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

DemihumanResources posted:

yeah he's totes winning now

Yeah it seems like he was given a lot of opportunities initially but hasn't managed to cash in on anything

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

tek79 posted:

And this (bolded) isn't going to last much longer for him either. He's milking it hard right now and all he's been reduced to is some Nazi meet-up at a college and got effectively spit on by better people than him before he could give his talk. All it takes is some other pudgy white fascist to kill 3 people (if even that) and get away with it for that flash of Nazi star power to die out completely. I'm surprised he's even made it this long. We'll be hearing about him 10 years from now in some kind of "Remember this loving crybaby!?" and he's going to be some 300+ lb neckbeard in a photo someone took on their iPhone while he tries to hide his face because they recognized him and he's selling firewood on the side of the road. "It's Kyle loving Rittenhouse!. The spree-shooter dude who cried like a baby in court LOL!".

he seems intensely stupid and un-charismatic so I can only imagine what one of this "talks" would be like

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

his current grift aside from speaking is trying market poorly made first person shooter games

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I love all the random use of proper case. Needs more ellipses to be proper boomer text.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Joe Rogan said there’s no way Biden is actually going to be the nominee. And when Joe Rogan talks, people listen! :shepface:

I remember before Trump was elected there was a clip of him starting an argument with some guy because he was wearing a MAGA hat and all the alt-right guys were calling him a liberal cuck. Now he's done a complete 180 and is totally on Trump's dick and hates Biden, but I guess what do you expect from a guy who watches a Fox special claiming the moon landing was fake and goes "balls deep" into the conspiracy or has a spaghetti dinner with Bob Lazar and decides everything he says is true.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

nobodygetshurt posted:

are we absolutely sure those aren't skin tags?

he's probably doing the whole go from the sauna to the ice bath thing. He's obsessed with any form of "one weird trick" to state fit thing he comes across that he can add to his superman regime. whether that be eating nothing but elk meat, sunbathing his taint, taking hits of smelling salt, electrolyte IVs, or just good old fashioned testosterone injections.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

if joe rogan met someone who claimed to be an expert that told him he could add years to his life by slamming his balls every morning with a mallet he would do it and promote it on his show. he's just incredibly gullible.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

TulliusCicero posted:

I've tried understanding Joe Rogaine's appeal for years and I just...do not get it

Like he's just so dull, his "WOAH MAN THIS COULD BE REAL WOW WOAH DUUUUDE" shtick is so loving boring

He also seems REALLY dumb. Like genuinely either took too many blows to the head or too much whatever.

How does anyone consider this guy an intellectual voice about anything?

before he became obsessed with having alt right superstars on all the time he was the go to source if you want a longform podcast about guys who scour the amazon for cryptids or study gorilla wrestling crocodiles

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Its pseudo-intellectualism, it appeals to men especially because they get to THINK they sound smart by aligning with anything Rogan pushes on his show.

And its why Rogan is a Far Right gateway.

it's always jarring when i hear people say guys like rogan or aaron rodgers are "smart" - bill maher, for instance - but then you have to realize that half of americans don't read any books at all, so anyone who spends their time reading up on crackpot poo poo suddenly sounds smart for having some sort of knowledge

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

bobjr posted:

I don’t know how much it still happens but he also would get various experts in their fields, but also just argue against them in that field.

Like he would get a top immunologist talking about how virus’s and vaccines work and how people should get them and he would mention he saw on Facebook how injecting gorilla semen in your rear end has the same effect.

one of the remarkable things i remember is that right at the beginning of the pandemic when a lot of people didn't know what to make of it and weren't taking it seriously, he did take it seriously and started having epidemiologists on. but, as is typical, he also has an ear for all the alternative nonsense so that evolved to him listening to anti-vaxxers and experts who claimed letting the sun shine on his ballsack so he could get vitamin d was the key to immunity

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Monica Bellucci posted:

There is a clip that explains how loving dumb Rogan is. Remember that dipshit who claimed he got brain problems from a concrete milkshake to the head? His story was absolute blatant bullshit that was utterly in Rogan's wheelhouse of vaguely knowing about fighting injuries and how they are treated medically. Rogan still went along with it despite obviously knowing it was utter horseshit.

Rogan can be out thought by a bowel movement.

There are numerous examples. He was all in on bigfoot and poo poo like the skinwalker ranch until he actually went on a quest to find bigfoots and visit the ranch and saw that it was all bullshit. Most of us don't have to go this far to spot bullshit, but most of us aren't that gullible.

I'll stop there, though, because this is Trump thread, not the Joe Rogan thread.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Today I learned that Tennessee is trying to pass a state bill that bans chemtrails

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The chemtrail conspiracy is particularly stubborn because something like cloud seeding does exist so if you just explain what a contrail is they'll see "well actually have you heard of cloud seeding my man it's a real thing look it up and learn to think" and then you'll get all the empirical evidence of "I saw a bunch of chemtrails in the sky and it rained later in the day. I believe what I see!"

Airplane conspiracies in general are wild. Did you know jet fuel also is a conspiracy and doesn't exist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Steadiman posted:

How is the chemtrail ban supposed to work then? Do planes have to descend to lower altitudes when they fly over so they don't get contrails and freak people out on the ground or do they get a ticket or what?

well probably no because contrails are just water vapor and although i don't spit about lawyerin, the ban doesn't ban actual contrails and i don't think you can go to court and claim that they're something else when they factually aren't