Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

What are some good anti robot weapons? These things are brutal on hard compared to the bugs

The diligence dmr is good against robots if you can click heads.

If so, the thing is very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Grimnarsson posted:

So there's trouble with the servers or something? In game I see that there's zero helldovers online. At least the defence mission is doable solo now at trivial difficulty..

All servers are currently fine. Any reports of servers being on fire or "too loving full to process a gotdamn thing" are agitprop by either robots or bugs or both.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Kill counts also don't seem to count strategems, but it does count their accuracy or something. We did a mission to kill 135 automatons, succeeded and left. It thought we killed like 50 and I had 20% accuracy (I did not miss 80% of my shots with the marksman rifle lol)

The kill counter does think that things like SAM sites are both stratagems and valid kills to count for your stats.

I managed to get the "Have a stratagem kill 25 enemies" without doing anything, and it MUST have been the SAM site that I activated.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ stealth lubrication! ^ ^ ^

Virginia Slams posted:

What's everyone think of this games staying power? I was thinking about getting it and I know it's huge right now but for whatever reason, to me at least, it looks like a game that is gonna die out fairly fast. I am probably wrong and I can't really put into words why I feel that way but I just do.

If drg is any indication, you're way off base.

If the game play is good (it is) and the devs want to support it (they are) and the monitization isn't awful (it's not), you've got a recipe for a very long tail.

With the hype and absolute bonkers numbers they have, it's very likely that this game has legs.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Dumb question, sometimes I want my friends to join but sometimes I am playing with my S.O. who gets flustered with joiners, even friends. Is there anyway to play online with one other person but prevent other friends from dropping in?

Set the game to private and have no friends. EZ.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Hows the orbital laser against titans?

It gets the job done, but it does take a while.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DoubleDonut posted:

Am I missing something about the Diligence? I keep seeing people saying it's good for weak points on bots, but man I aim directly at a berserker or devastator's face and shoot him five times and accomplish exactly nothing every time. Like my aim isn't great but even if I go into ADS and stand still and perfectly line up my shots it just doesn't seem to do a drat thing

You are doing something wrong. Because I can two/three tap them in the face and they fall over dead.

If you see the armor icon (like a shield with a deflection off of it), then you actually aren't hitting the weakpoint. Every time you shoot them in the face, you should see part of their skull break. Berserkers require a few more shots, I don't really count because I am panic shooting them as they charge me, but devastator's are two or three headshots to kill with the diligence.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

I like this game a lot, but the whole fubar'd matchmaking part sucks. I can barely handle an Easy terminid mission on my own.

I just want to play the game with friends. :smith:

You absolutely can right now. I had multiple games where I joined in on a steam friend's game, or had someone on my steam friends join in on me.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

AFAIK it's an unlisted bot condition that can show up on higher difficulty levels. There's no way to know if it's active before the mission starts. It's dumb.

Yes there is. When you're on the globe picking a map, in the bottom right corner there are the map modifiers listed. (I think you can hit C to see them, they are hidden by default iirc, it just shows the number of modifiers.)

Having blown myself up with a random strategem knowing I could have checked, I was told it's skill issue and I don't disagree. :v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

helldivers 2 many bugs not enough servers

Helldivers 2 - Many bots, left side! Handle it!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

dog nougat posted:

Post your ship names y'all!

Started with SES Princess of Supremacy, but finally settled on the much more entertaining SES Fist of Mercy

SES Comptroller of Wrath.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

^ ^ ^ The Railgun is probably best in slot for the support weapon at this point. I'm not sure that it scales to be the best if everyone is carrying it, but I do think that 2 players carrying them is very effective. ^ ^ ^

blastron posted:

SES Princess of Twilight. (Formerly the Comptroller of Wrath.)

Twinsies! (formerly)

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 21, 2024

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kly posted:

is there a trick to using this? i tried it, charged it to what i think was a full charge and it didnt even break the armor on a charger leg.

You need to two shot a charger leg to expose it, and then mag dump your primary into the exposed leg. You'll get very good at this play pattern on 7 difficulty.

Unsafe Railgun is more for titans than anything else, and the hulks on the bot side of things. Soloing a titan is one of helldivers true joys (in light armor, do not try with any other armor type).

It's much more fun to live dangerously.

My standard "scout" loadout is airstrike/orbital laser/Railgun/laser dog. And I usually top the kill charts (thanks to the dog cleaning up all the chafe while I crush hard target's with the Railgun).

Don't forget to equip the 7th(?) page of the regular warbond's helmet (the one with the hood that goes with the light armor on the same page) for a speed boost :ssh: (it's probably just a visual bug).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

How is this game if I'm only interested in playing with randoms?

Pretty terrible. Play with goons, you're already posting here, that's like 90% of the way there.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I genuinely don't like higher difficulty bug missions, for the life of me I just can't find them fun at all. None of the higher end bugs are particularly fun to fight for me. You either dump a bunch of ammo into breaking a charger's legs to hurt them, or you shoot their rear end when they spin around like they're trying out for dark souls 2, and every other bug is just so heavily armoured the autocannon bounces right off of them unless you manage to hit them right in the narrow glowing green spots. I don't even know what's up with bile titans, after a few shots their guts explode then they just wander around invincible. And god help you if you focus on trying to take down the big thing because a million small ones swarm you and if they so much as touch you, you're slowed for the rest of your life.

None of those problems seem to exist for robots.

Have you met my friends Railgun and Orbital laser strike?

I haven't ventured into anything higher than 7, but at that difficulty you want a good group of 3 or 4, with 3+ orbital laser and 2+ Railguns. It's hard (as it should be) and most extractions devolve into absolute cluster fucks, but that is what I want out of this game.

You have to shoot bile titans in the face with the Railgun, bonus points if you can land a shot in their mouth when they open it to puke on someone. 2 shots with the Railgun breaks a chargers leg armor, allowing the team to quickly magdump their primary into it, and kill it quickly. It's not perfect, and the game is trying to overwhelm you with bugs at this difficulty (and succeeding), so you do have to pick your battles.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nuebot posted:

You don't unlock railgun until level 20, by hard to challenging difficulty I've had to fight off multiple titans at once and there's just a perpetual three to five chargers around at all times.

Which I guess gets to my biggest complaint with this game. When I first started every problem was "get the autocannon" now it's "get the railgun". Why can't the weapons just not be garbage?

Multiple titans at the same time? At 6 difficulty? I haven't seen that while playing at 7 difficulty. Multiple chargers I have experienced, but those get prioritized and dealt with quickly.

It sounds like we are playing a different games. Your experiences are valid, but I haven't encountered the struggles you do. Maybe I got lucky with good groups while you didn't. No idea.

I don't find it that contraversial that as the difficulty goes up, you require items that are level gated. By thr time you get to the 7's I was very close to 20. The double xp weekend helped a bunch, and maybe that explains my lack of frustration - I didn't have to grind through some weird middle period where I wanted harder difficultly, but didn't have the tools to tackle it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Excellent post/username combo :v:

ADS'ing with a few weapons is very strong, like the diligence or Railgun (if nothing else to make sure you're hitting the overcharge and also not blowing yourself up).

I absolutely agree that you don't want in engage in long distance firefights, but there are times (vs bots mostly) where the terrain/environment/general chaos of battle can make it difficult to just see your targets, and having that zoom does help. At least for me. It's also more intuitive with all the other fps games I've played that I don't have to deal with the lag reticle to line up my shots. YMMV.

I don't think there are people who think the dilligence sucks against bots.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Yoshimo posted:

Looking for some advice on what to buy next, I've got available to buy:

Flamethrower

Orbital 380MM HE, Orbital Walking Barrage, Orbital Laser

Eagle Cluster Bomb, Jump Pack, Eagle Smoke Strike, Eagle 110MM Rocket Pods, Eagle 500KG Bomb

Orbital Smoke Strike, HMG Emplacement, Shield Generator Relay, Tesla Tower

Laser Cannon, Incendiary Mines, Guard Dog Rover, Ballistic Shield, Arc Thrower

Mortar Sentry, Guard Dog, AC Sentry, Rocket Sentry

I have 25156 Req, everything else is either too high level or i already have it... TIA!

Orbital laser, 500kg bomb, guard dog rover, rocket sentry are all good picks. It depends on what you like and how your ship upgrades are progressing.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

but we control where the ship goes!

Sure - to a place where an active war is. You can't go anywhere, just to another war.

You're picking your bedtime - you get choice, but you're going to sleep.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Xpforr posted:

Has anyone broken down how the unsafe vs safe options on the rail gun work? Is it worth the risk?

All I know is if you aren't setting the Railgun to unsafe, you're an enemy of managed democracy and super earth. It's that simple.

It gives more damage with more charge up time you put into it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fentry posted:

Not sure if anyone else has this problem but I can't seem to progress past hard difficulty. I've completed a bunch of hard missions and have achievements for beating hard missions but extreme difficulty still isn't unlocked and says to complete a hard mission, anyone have any ideas?

You have to complete a hard CAMPAIGN. Not a single mission. Same for the rest of the difficulty tiers.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Should I be using it on swarms or does it only hit one thing? IDK, it just seems so unwieldly to have to reload after every shot, and you don't get the satisfying feedback you get with the other weapons so I can't really tell that it's so powerful except that things fall over when I hit them. It also annoyingly will kill the robot walkers but pop the drivers out unharmed.

Couple of things:

1) Railgun deletes the hard targets that your primary doesn't clean up. So on harder difficulties, you'll see more sentinel guards, brood commanders, which requires a little bit of work with your primary due to the hp/armor rating of the termanid. Railgun just deletes them, no fuss no muss (shoot em in the head). That can he helpful on harder difficulties when you have higher density of bugs and don't really have the luxury of time as other fuckers spawn in/path in due to the sound of the fight.

2) for robits, especially the AT-ST if you're shooting the robits and the driver pops out, you missed the driver. I tend to take them head on and aim for just under the eye slit, centre mass. That should put both the driver and the vehicle down.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

So the EAT, the Recoil-Less Rifle, and the Spear are the player carried strategems that can penetrate Heavy Armor, and the Autocannon Sentry and Rocket Sentry can as well, which of the Orbital and EAGLE stratagems can do so as well?

Railgun can as well, but the autocannon sentry cannot iirc.

The orbital laser and the railcannon do as well.

I'm willing to bet the 500kg does, but that's a guess.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly why I'm probably going to mostly stick with the 4-5 difficulty range, feels like the sweet spot of enabling horde clearing shenanigans while still having some challenging enemies so it's not a complete cakewalk

I could see that changing up depending on future additions to our arsenal(especially once vehicles and mechs get added) or if I find a group to more consistently play with

You'll be doing 7's before you know it (if for nothing else other than getting super science!).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

Basically every TK I've seen is someone loving up in a silly way on either end of the equation. Running into a danger zone after a stratagem is thrown, walking in front of someone who is actively shooting, misjudging throwing distance and landing an eagle bombing run on your team, etc.

Some people actively hate sentries. A few games I've played I've noticed people killing mine in clearly intentional ways.

Sentries are probably the most consistent source of TK's. I can see why some people are salty about them, especially if your placement is dogshit.

Never fight on the same plane as your turret (except for the mortar turret, who's rule is "don't fight in the same area as where the mortar is... Too late you've been blown up).

But yeah, if you're complaining about the quality of your teammates, and aren't dropping with goons, you've brought this on yourself.

I haven't seen any goon blow up a turret without good reason that gets explained in comms.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Nuebot posted:

I like when I throw down my orbital beacon to kill the enemies coming towards our position, then another guy throws his eagle out further and wipes them all out faster, so now both our strategems are on cooldown.

Then a charger hits us both in the back.

Don't admire your airstrike, solider! Keep that head on a swivel!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Starting to really hate that sight on the AMR. Just give me a classic, thin + crosshair, not that bulky [_] box. Also I swear the sight is off at longer distances.

It might be actually sighted at the Xm distance you set in the weapon wheel menu.

I don't know if the game is that sophisticated or simulationist

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The vent hatch covers are heavy armor so the autocannon round deflects… straight into the fabricator.

Robo-ert Eidschun is going to get raked over the coals for that desig back on their robo-home planet.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mrmcd posted:

We need some sort of propaganda campaign for pubbies to teach them to not draw aggro from every goddamn patrol and random wandering charger jfc.

Something like "More kills doesn't mean more XP! Focus on objectives... for democracy!"

https://postergroup.com/products/loose-talk-can-cost-lives-quiet-10147

That sort of "shut the gently caress up" style propaganda should be a good starting point.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

Is player armor still broken?

Yes.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Every time I do this (and then complete multiple secondary missions, gather a ton of samples and salute pods, kill a few nests etc before the rest of the team is done with the one single meat grinder) I get kicked as soon as we get back to the ship :(

I do this all the time in my goon groups, and I find it works tremendously well.

Also, this is as true as it was 9 years ago:

quote:

A hot stove sits in the corner, bearing a brass plate with the brand name "Pubbies" riveted into its frame. Having touched this stove in the past and found it to be hot enough to burn your hand, and having witnessed others touching this stove in the past and also burning their hands, how do you choose to proceed?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Phenotype posted:

Can someone please make a sorta railgun guide? I've been trying to use it more effectively but I'm kind of a bad shot which makes experimenting hard -- did I shoot that hulk in the face and he didn't die, or did I whiff? Did I charge the railgun enough, or does it just not kill dropships? What can you kill with it, and what are you targeting? and how long does it need to charge?

Is there a way to make the gun settings stick between matches, btw? I keep forgetting to set the JAR-5 on burst fire.

Hard to give you a guide if you don't even know what you're doing/are a bad shot. Super quick on Railgun - do all of your aimed shooting in first person until you get the rhythm of the charged shots. There are visual indicators which make it very easy to see what your charge level is that is much harder to see in 3rd person. Unsafe mode charging is anything above the regular charge when the meter starts going hazy red. My understanding is that there is NO difference in damage at this stage until you hit the max, where the gun fires but explodes, killing you and destroying the weapon.

As for killin bugs/bots, start here and report back:
https://youtu.be/QHKjUIfq85c

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

They also count as strategems (probably bugged) so I got the "25 kills with a single strategem" cheevo with a Sam site.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jerkface posted:

you can quick carry the shells by spamming use on them you will walk fast while picking up and dropping a shell. Makes it much easier to do solo.

I like doing it solo because my teammates did it once and MAYBE it was bad rng on shell generation but they loaded all smoke \ static field so it was useless

Gimme dat control

Do you like playing team based games?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bold Robot posted:

Is there any consensus on which ship upgrades to prioritize? I can afford one, almost a second one, but none of the first-level ones seems too exciting.

You want the first level for all of the modules.

Start from the top and work your way downwards (for all the level one upgrades) if you really can't decide.

By that time this is done, you should have a feel for what types of strategems you like calling down, and then focus on those upgrades. From what I understand, the turrets and the eagle upgrades are the most impactful for their respective strats.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

So how do I unlock Strategem Hero on my ship?

Buy the special edition of the game.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

What kind of firepower do you need to explode an automaton factory without having to run up and chuck a grenade into it? I know some orbital/airstrike stratagems can do it, but I haven't yet found one that will scratch 'em.

Being able to pop one of those things from a safe distance would be neat.

Non-strat wise:

GL should be able to do it, autocannon does it for sure (aim for the flap and it will deflect down to blow up the factory). And you can always shoot something explosive into the building when the front doors open.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Pharmaskittle posted:

Is player armor still broken?

What does your heart tell you?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

flashman posted:

Nice the breaker is getting some nerfs and the devs are talking about the hardest difficulties being something to strive for rather than just use the best weapons so things are looking up gang

You have a lovely posting gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Benagain posted:

where you seeing this out of curiosity

Found this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers...hare&utm_term=1