Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
IMO the flamethrower is good for the static kill missions with the tiny maps and gently caress all else.

My current loadout for bugs is:

Sickle as primary
Machine pistol as secondary (use this when the wind up time of the sickle will get you killed)
Impact grenades for spewers
Recoilless rifle for anything with armor
And a pel Mel mix of my favorite orbital/strike craft call downs, or maybe a single turret.

I’m tempted to try the EAT with everyone talking it up is it that much better than the recoilless rifle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I Really like the support pack but What I see ruin our runs most often is a charger no one can stop. Small arms can address any smaller enemies, but when a. Charger shows up you either kill it or you start a fighting retreat which is where things sometimes devolve into a running route with repeat deaths
I mean always look at what everyone is bringing and fill in the gaps. Expecting stratagems to deal with heavies at all times is a bad idea, someone should be packing an eat or a recoiless. And at higher levels I’d bring two.

I don’t even see chargers as a primary threat, they rarely kill me, their lot in life is to add complications to the field and they do it well.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Insert name here posted:

If it gets a nerf I'd say losing some heatsinks would be a good way to go about it, because it is kind of goofy that it gets 6 spare heatsinks while the liberator gets 7 magazines. I don't think the rest of the gun is out of line really.

TBH I can't think of a game where I've run lower than 3.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I was playing with goons last night and without fail the person running the thing managed to dump us right dead center into a large bug nest each drop. I was both impressed and terrified, it was definitely entertaining having that much "Oh poo poo" going before you've even called down your supports.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

Why are you guys fighting shriekers, just setup on a hill and snipe their nests with EATs or whatever. If you spawn near their nest in clouds, run away, like fast, fastliest to where they arent dive bombing you taking away your reinforcements.

It takes 10 autocannon hits to down a spire apparently

While the flamethrower is now pretty good, you cant do poo poo to titans which can be a problem in some situations. At least keep the resupply at the ready in case a bile titan is near imo.

Just play with me, I may have over hyperspecialized a bit, my kit is 100% designed to take out titans and chargers. I’ve noticed if you have just one person who makes it his life’s mission to kill any and every titan he sees everything else goes swimmingly.

Stun grenades + eagle 500 + air strike + eat and the last slot can be whatever and you can merk any titan you see.

If you want to help with trash toss on the laser dog, if you want to max survivability toss on the shield and if you want to maximize utility toss the emp mortar on your last slot.

The 500’s are easy to place on a stunned titan, and I’ve found if you liberally spread eats around a goon team will be more than happy to chuck a couple on any titan that pops up.

The orbital railgun is too much of a one trick pony or id include it in my kit too.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

Do stun grenades work on the chargers and Titans?

Oh yeah. I usually chuck 500s in front of titans and stun them when they hit the beam.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah artillery is probably good for loving up teams if everyone doesn't try to finish that ASAP and move on. One or two people dicking around trying to load the gun and getting picky about which rounds to load while other people stand around can lead to a bad, bad time.

That’s why you sort out rounds and round order before kicking off the trigger (touching the console)

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

LazyMaybe posted:

Pretty good. It's an EAT with infinite ammo, but a several second charge time and then a short cooldown before you can shoot again.
Strong when you have time to line up a shot, weak when you're actively getting pressured.

Mix it with stun grenades and +grenade armor and it gets real good.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

I feel so vulnerable to striders without this setup though.

Shoot it with a quasar. It’s not like you have limited ammo.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

atelier morgan posted:

finally used the quasar for the first time and it just exploded when fired almost like a railgun (though it didnt destroy the weapon) three times over the course of a mission including when i was the last one standing with no respawns left so I'm not going to be using it

That’s … not how the quasar works. You sure it exploded and didn’t just y’know fire?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

sebmojo posted:

what are the general best picks for strategms, before you get into the situationally useful ones? i'm like level 11 so still only have a few - so far i just know 380 mm is basically an extremely loud suicide note but i still love it.

Eagle air strike and eagle 500 are always in my toolbag, the other two slots I vary to match my team loadout though my usual is eats + laserdog.

I’ve been topping the killboard for days now that I’m dialed in and 99% of that is throwing stun grenades at packs of enemies/breaches and air striking them.

EMS mortar is never a bad choice and I absolutely love it when someone on my team is running a grenade launcher or ac because they plug the gaps I don’t deal with well (bug holes when my eagles are down, and bile spewers).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

explosivo posted:

I'm surprised to see so many recommendations for the 500kg, especially before the extra bomb upgrade. I tried to make use of it but always felt like it was overshadowed by other strategems that can be great multitaskers like the basic eagle airstrike. The blast radius is miniscule at the ground level so I can never blow up as many factories as I hope with it and have whiffed so many times when trying to take out a pack of enemies or a charger or something.

I only use it on chargers if I’m swimming in stun grenades and have nothing else to deal with it. The 500 is a great “make this objective building go away/please delete this bile Titan/tank” button.

Each strike has a job to do and sweeping up trash isn’t the 500’s.

Edit: that said my best kill streak with one was like 45 trash mobs. I had been pitching stuns at a breach and the blob of bugs got big enough and it was at that moment I realized I had burned all my regular strikes.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 4, 2024

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

cheeseboy58 posted:

Quasars one shot hulks. Devastators.....

it also shoots clear across the map. I can't list the number of cannon towers/etc that I've dumped from outside of their detection range.

How does one use the laser cannon? I was having a "Play with weapons I'm not used to" night last night and decided to try it and the spear. I found the laser to vary wildly from "Boy I like this" to "Holy poo poo this kinda sucks" which was almost entirely dependant on "Can I see it's vents".

We won't talk about the spear. When it worked I liked it. When it didn't was pretty much the other 90% of the run.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

I hope we don’t have to only fight bugs for a while by killing the robots because gently caress bugs they are not fun to play at all.

Did a level 7 and it SUCKED.

Idk what team comp you were running but bug 7’s are a walk in the park compared to bot 7’s. Two people with eats/quasars and two people with gl/ac and there’s literally nothing on the map that can’t be solved with what’s in your hands. Stratagems are just icing on the cake.

Bile titans are a little bit harder to deal with than tanks/hulks but they also don’t deal with terrain very well and you can kite them for years.

Really the only thing that sucks is hellmire + bugs. gently caress that planet.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

I like the way that the primary weapons are balanced around sidegrades but I do wish that some of the ordnance stratagems were stronger so they'd have a place on 7 difficulty or higher. Once you get to a point where there's heavily armored enemies every ten meters a lot of the ship ordnance and eagle strikes lack the power and cooldown times to effectively deal with them the same way a 500kg or a rail cannon does.

This is true for bots, but honestly for bugs eagle strats paired with anything that can stun (especially stun grenades) are a pretty solid “get out of any situation free” card. It’s part of what makes bugs easier to deal with. As long as you have room to walk backwards and drop stratagems you’ll be loving up any bug that’s not a bile titan.

Also if you aren’t running a dog backpack for bugs (either one now honestly) I found it increases survivability far more than shields packs of any kind, and if you are running eats/quasar there’s no reason NOT to bring one.

Also heavy armor owns for bots, scout armors are godly for bugs.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
It's funny how people always talk about the super samples and honestly that's the one I almost never need. If someone could just pour say 500 regular samples into my maw I'd appreciate it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

Good old Maxor. His videos are always quite crazy :allears:.

How is pubbing on difficulty 7? I need purple samples and my friends have taken a break from the game :smith:.

It's fine but there's a goon discord in the OP that has 2-3 groups running almost 24/h a day and even more during prime USTZ

Why pub when you don't have to?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Black Noise posted:

I’ve been doing quick play roulette with 9 and I’ve seen some poo poo. But it’s nice to be able to just listen to my music and not have to banter. Whoever said the bot drops were polite apparently was on top of or never got the helipad drop. That almost hosed us once then another mission they got two drops on the helipad.

My favorite drop so far was right between two eye of saurons that could both see us. Talk about a chaotic first five minutes.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

space uncle posted:

I enjoy the Goon Discord and grouping, also had good experiences quick playing with pubbies.

Had my first Bad Goon Experience this week. Lost about 10 reinforcements trying to blow up the double Gunship towers. This broke the morale of one goon and they just kept wandering into enemies and hazards and dying. Then they apparently carried a red barrel into a 2nd goon and suicide bombed them, which did crack everyone up.

Finally the 2nd goon suffers a critical morale loss and starts berating Goon 1 and micromanaging their movement over comms. Goon 2 is also laser focused on obtaining samples despite the fact we are now at 0 reinforcements.

I told Goon 2 to knock it off and they did.

Also had a mission where the game glitched and the pelican never came which totally sucked and we lost 30 samples.

Good Grief.

Disasters are part of the storytelling of this game and goon #2 whiffed it. Suicide bomber goon ace though.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Black Noise posted:

Double Gunship towers are lobby clearing events. Not excusing whoever was doing that but I’ve led a few failed 8+ that collapse at the tower then it’s 1/4 in the channel.

Yeah I had one go wrong the other night. I suspect we’d have been fine if the auto cannons held back and killed drop ships as they spawned while the other two fought their way in to get the hellbomb, but there was way too much confusion in the group and it turned into a hell march right off the side of a cliff.

I kept killing the drop ships then calling in the hellbomb myself then bot drops would land on me, the drop ships respawned and the hellbomb and myself would get Merced.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Hmn, had my first mid-mission CTD. Gotta say, that's the sort of thing that won't happen too many times before I just go play Apex.

well poo poo, we can't do this without you.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mesadoram posted:

It's ths infinite ammo and consistency that makes me want to always use the Sickle.

After I unlock the Scorcher I am going to try to get the flame shotgun. But that looks like a long grind :smith:

It’s very good on bugs. You can even roast a charger with it in a pinch.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I do like the eruptor but I don’t like how it fucks up my master of all trades general loadout without sacrificing something. If I take it and anti tank, I lose out on my ability to deal with with small swarms. If I take something like a stalwart I lose out on AT, I can sacrifice an eagle slot for EATs but the main strength of eats is that you call them on cooldown and always have one ready.

I suspect this things strengths lie in a good team that gels well.

I got pretty good with it and definitely dominated in kills for the goon team I was on but I definitely felt being at the whim of my teammates when dealing with chargers and I’m so used to being “that guy” that it made me feel very “naked”.

Makes a great dedicated spewer killer though as I was clearing them as fast as I could reload and often the bugs near them as well.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

Does the regular machine gun do damage to gunships? I've been using the Eruptor and Stalwart for bots and I'm not a huge fan of being almost totally unable to damage them.

as soon as the packing upgrade is fixed I think that I'm just going to run Eruptor/Autocanon/EAT as god intended i think

It does not, is the eruptor actually good vs bots? I feel like not going ac or quasar with a decent trash sweeper is questionable.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dandywalken posted:

nope, and its dumb as hell!

Also lmao had a "Yeah Im surprised how fast Helldivers got boring to me" friend. Asked how many hours he had - one had 230, other 300 hours

I wish every game I bought gave me 300 hours of entertainment.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dilber posted:

Is there some sort of hidden spawn balance change over the last couple of days or are spawns bugged. I've been having some absolutely wild games recently with friends where difficulty is randomly through the roof. I was playing level 4 with some low level friends and a base had 4 hulks and 2 tanks in it. Level 5 bots has been weird where I've gotten entire bot drops of just hulks or heavy devestators.

I normally play on 7/8 for both bots and bugs and this has felt significantly harder. A couple of other friends have noticed the same thing separately, but I'm not seeing people here mention it.

Yeah I suspect they either broke something or retuned difficulty. My wife wanted to play with me and we’ve been duo’ing 5’s till she’s comfortable and we dropped directly on a pack of six chargers yesterday. There was a lot of chaos and air strikes and at least one charger got killed by me chucking an eats ball onto its back.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gorelab posted:

Difficulty in this game has always been fairly random due to whatever spawn set you get changing things a lot, the missions where you get a lot more devastators or where it's Whoops All Bile Spewers can be rough.

Regarding weapon dragon, I feel like there's no real reason to remove it. All games don't need to be for everyone, and the weird milsim bits are part of the charm.

It’s not even really milsim stuff, it’s pure balance. There would never be a reason not to run jar/eruptor if they weren’t a little unwieldy. As it stands every time I do take them I lament losing out on the agility that my sickle allows, and when I do take the sickle I find myself going “oh six hulks that would be cake with my jar” or “god drat bike spewers!”

The constant pining for the fjords of the weapon I didn’t take shows how well balanced they are against each other. See also fire shotgun on bugs. Meanwhile pretty much all the DMR’s feel pointless.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Gorelab posted:

I actually like the diligence sometimes for bots, but the counter-sniper is just... a thing.

Yeah I just feel the JAR etc has stolen its role.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Janissary Hop posted:

There is a little more diversity in primaries for bots, where I see scorcher, dominator, slugger, or for some reason I can't understand the sickle again.

It’s because it’s complimentary kit. I can’t speak to other people’s loadouts but I have found the most successful missions are those where everyone has at least one tool to deal with most situations.

Sickle pairs great with the autocannon. Most shotguns do as well. When I’m rocking the AC I need a weapon that sweeps trash well and the sickle is perfect for it. I don’t need pinpoint precision to hit hulks or devastators, I have the AC for those.

My GP bot build is AC/Airstrikes/AC/Stun Grenades and Sickle with the last slot being a coin flip between 380/orbital laser depending on what everyone else brings.

For striders/tanks/hulks/berserkers and devs, I have the AC, for all the chaff I have the sickle. If the group is big enough I’ll pitch out an eagle and a stun grenade a second later and that deals with that. For big oh fucks there’s the laser/500kg.

All of this allows me to be extremely flexible on bots.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Question Time posted:

One trick I've used a couple of times is to bring mortars - they're OK by themselves, but their real utility is in teamkilling. Better to kick the idiot early after he gets killed by my mortars a few times then let him delete all our reinforcements and lose all our samples.

I mean this is 100% on you? The Mortar turret is an AI teamkill machine and it's generally not the fault of the person getting TK'd. If you are demanding that every single person keep every single enemy outside of mortar splash range it's no wonder you are failing 7's.

On 7+ the game sometimes decides you just need ALL the berzerkers/chargers/tanks/hulks and bile titans right the gently caress now, throwing a random mortar into that mix causes more problems than it solves. Most players would rather you bring something even moderately useful like an orbital laser, your choice of eagles, or if you are really die hard on bringing an indirect bloop machine bring an EMS, it's always welcome.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Wait your solution for bringing a bunch of teamkilling weaponry is to kick the people getting teamkilled instead of bringing literally anything else?

Like sure, go for an all-explosion gimmick if you want but your difficulty clearing 7s isn't coming from your teammates, their gear, ir RNG from drops here.

Right? The Mortar Turret is such an edge case on usefulness outside of one very specific mission that I've openly asked people to please bring something else.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Hakarne posted:

Yeah uh... what? If you're talking for bots I'll simply disagree. Mortar is good for bots and TKs from it are relatively rare because you should be at range most of the time. But it can still happen through no fault of your own.

If you're using that criteria for bugs then sorry, you're the baddie in that situation. All that bugs want to do is get up in your business, and if that mortar locks onto a pouncer that's leaping at you, a patrol approaching from a bad angle, or a charger that's doing as it's name implies you can get gibbed through no fault of your own. Bringing the non-EMS mortar on bugs is not a good idea, and if you're doing it to intentionally TK people and kick them for being an "idiot" you may want to take a look in the mirror first

I've just died far too many times even on bots to the thing to think it's a better calldown than most of the other standards. Sure I can call it down outside of a base or I can just chuck a laser or a 380 and leave for a bit. It's just not good enough outside of that one specific defense mission to bring over something else.

BadLlama posted:

I just blow up teammates mortars if they toss them in a very dumb fashion. Kick me I guess.

I've absolutely done this.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
If the air burst rocket was a one and done with a short cooldown like an eat I could see it getting some use on really open maps full of bugs.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Looks like the EAT is back to being king of the AT mountain.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Crows Turn Off posted:

Then make the other weapons better.

Also this. I’d have run the regular rover a lot more if its ammo constraints weren’t so bad. In testing it I noticed it does a lot less teamkill/chip damage to allies, but it feels like a single engagement runs the whole pack out of ammo. Even with the nerfs I’ll still probably run the laser dog, it’s secondary utility as a laser pointer for poo poo sneaking up on me is invaluable and so long as it can still kill hunters and other chaff I’m fine with it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

It was always supposed to be the 'laser mg', it was just never very good at it.

It doesn’t even kill as fast as most primaries for hordes.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I find people drastically underestimate how much work the laser dog was doing for them. It's not unusual to notice 200+ kill differences between someone using a drone on a mission and those who aren't. Sure, there's lots of other factors, but i notice it on myself when i have it mission 2 bout not mission 3.

You may be noting a difference in other conditionals as well. I’ve been on teams where we all had laser dogs and the kill leader tended to remain the kill leader.

The difference for me when I’ve been leader of the pack is never something you’d think: stun grenades. People think of them as “oh poo poo” buttons while ignoring the utility of making a LOT of enemies pile up into a relatively small area. Throwing out an air strike followed up by a stun grenade is basically muscle memory for me.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

"Turns out the black hole grenades destabilized space-time and now Fenrir III has been consumed by a rapidly expanding black hole"

Do helmire next.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Man I knew it shouldn’t have looked but boy howdy is Reddit having a meltdown over the Queso nerf, like people straight up posting “how do they expect us to do 9’s now?”.

The same way you did before? Fling eats around like they are party candy and don’t get bogged down fighting bug breaches next to a POI that only has ammo and grenades?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Let me tell you guys the mlg pro strat for beating 9 bugs. Bring AT, locate your shift key, hit da bricks when poo poo gets stupid.

Pretty sure it’s similar for bots.