Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I loved the first one and am also waiting on what others say about the perspective change. The original’s isometric view forcing everyone to be on the same screen helped make the game distinct and fun. It also facilitated the agonizing and funny teamkilling mishaps the game became known for.

I’m worried changing perspectives and giving everyone their own camera will make everything too spread out and turn this into just another shooter. The 20 feet of draw distance and generic out-of-the-box look of the environments don’t seem very exciting either.

But if it’s fun, it’s fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The new trailer looks pretty good. Learning that foggy maps are gameplay-related and can be undone covered my gripe about draw distance.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I’m coming around on the over the shoulder the camera. Not a fan of the team life limit, especially if upping difficulty reduces that number further. Having unlimited lives in Helldivers 1 made it easy to laugh off teamkilling and I feel like it was a crucial part of the secret sauce that made the gameplay so fun. Maybe playtesting found you don’t die as much in this game and the cap is pretty roomy, but I’m worried it’s going to make the game really sweaty and a lot of people aren’t going to be chill with accidental friendly fire.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Secret Agent Cow posted:

From what I understand you still have unlimited lives, it’s just after the first 20 uses you need to wait for a minute cooldown before using it again.

Oh neat that’s fine then

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Bought the game. It rocks. The switch to over-the-shoulder is fun. My earlier posts concerned about how fun the game would be are all waived.

Haven’t encountered a charger yet, but yeah the strategy in Helldivers 1 was to dive out of the way when it came at you and then shoot its glowing red rear end while it paused to recover. I don’t think it could even take damage from the front.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Instead of ammo, laser guns in the first game had a heat buildup gauge you had to keep an eye on. It’d go down when you took a break but it’d overheat and hurt you if it filled all the way up. Sounds like that’s how they work in this game too.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Play posted:

My favored strats are the guard dog drone, the mortar turret even though it's dangerous, the orbital walking bombardment, and a heavy weapon depending on faction and difficulty. I haven't unlocked them all but that's what I prefer so far.

Guard dog is nice just to watch your back and take care of the little guys that can still kill you if you're not careful. Mortar is great for defending an area or attacking a nest, just need to keep the enemy away from you or you'll get blown up along with it.

Walking bombardment is super powerful and can destroy an entire small or medium hive on its own if it's positioned right.

Only thing that sucks is you can't use the drone and the recoilless rifle at the same time since they both involve backpacks. I like the laser launcher a lot although it seems like it hardly works at all against the robots, and of course it can't pierce heavy armor. Really it's better for lower difficulties.

The disposable anti tank gun is actually decent for armor, since it comes with two and has a really short cool down. You can call it down right when the heavies show up while still having another backpack.

I played with you last night and yeah that kit you ran was really effective.

Those were some of my first Challenging missions and I realized how fast armored enemies can make things really unravel. Lost my recoilless and a bunch of samples in a horde that overwhelmed us and died a couple times trying to get them back when I probably should have been hightailing it away, but whew taking on chargers without heavy weapons is impossible.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I played a few games during the downtime. I read that you needed to sit through the intro video when you start the game. Weird, but it worked. My strat shop was blank for the first couple games, but other than that I didn’t have an issue. Curious to see if my progress is rolled back when I log back on tonight.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

^^^^Edit: The Goon discord that gets linked every couple pages and in the OP has a pinned post that’s a google sheet of friend codes. Add yours — do not generate another after adding yours to the sheet — and then go through and friend request everyone. I try to friend new people every few days but I’ve been out of town all weekend.

Koth posted:

drat. I've done about 6 missions solo now and I throw down an SOS every time, but no one joins.

The trick last week was to throw down an SOS at the start of your mission, leave back to your ship once it deployed, and then choose a new mission (I think it had to be on the same planet) from the war map. Once you’d jumped into your pod and were on the drop zone or stratagem select screens a full party of divers would usually show up. Not sure if that still works with how much more broken things are.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 19, 2024

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I'm curious about what future content Arrowhead is planning, especially with the game's runaway success and the news they're hiring additional staff. I loved the first game, but did feel burnt out on the content after a few weeks of, admittedly, avid playing. The sequel similarly has its hooks in me and raids or GTA-heist-style operations are pretty appealing. HD1 had the enemy homeworld boss missions at the end of wars, which I'm assuming we'll see soon. I didn't play long enough to see if end game content was eventually added.

Of the three original factions, Illuminates were my least favorite. I can't say I miss them or am itching to see them return, but they were definitely a unique playstyle. I wonder what they'll come up with that aren't just reskins of the bugs melee hordes or bots ranged attacks.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

:hf:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

How is the AP liberator? Been wondering if it was worth buying, I'm still running my Knight from civilian life.

It's alright. I've found it's more useful against bots than bugs. I still take a Breaker for bug missions.

Played with some goons last night and a guy one-shot a titan with a fully charged arc to the mouth. That was pretty cool. Gun is a lot stronger than I thought.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

LuiCypher posted:

(Context: I dislike when you pop into a friend's mission and it does not tell you where the mission is or what difficulty they're on. That's how I wound up in a Difficulty 3 bug mission when I was hoping based on their levels that they were doing something a bit more challenging.)

Was this last night? A couple of my IRL friends got the game and I’ve been running low difficulty missions with them while they get the hang of the mechanics. It’s a little slow goings, so instead of obliterating everything with stratagems and running objectives quick I hang back and kind of babysit the chaff bugs while they practice blowing stuff up.

Last night a goon I’ve grouped with before joined us off my friends list and I felt bad because he was probably expecting a 7+ and wound up with a 3. I told him no hard feelings if he left, but he was a good sport and ran a mission with us. If this was you, thanks.

For his sake, and from my own experience, it would be really helpful to see at least the mission difficulty your friends are on.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I forgot about the thumper from HD1. Cool to see it's coming back. That will be handy.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Hope they make at least one laser weapon that doesn't suck since the game doesn't have those.

I saw a (maybe fake) screenshot of a laser cannon support weapon called the Quasar that was supposedly visible in the stratagems store at launch but was quickly removed. The description said it charged to fire and had a cooldown between shots.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

mentalcontempt posted:

Are the Eagle 110 rocket pods capable of taking out a bile titan? I called them in for the very first time against one, and it just got…deleted. Felt awesome, assuming it was my call-in that did the job and not some other source of damage that I didn’t see.

I've done it before, but I got the impression it was either a very lucky shot or the titan had really been softened up by everything else thrown at it.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

priznat posted:

Strategem idea: orbital drop a giant sugar cube all the bugs go for while teammate hits it with an orbital strike :haw:

There was a stratagem in HD1 that did this and appears on the datamined list of unreleased content along with the mech and a bunch of other stuff. While anything on the list (except for the mech, which was officially announced pre-release) could just be remnants of something that never made it past testing, that one feels like it’ll eventually get added.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

johnny park posted:

It's not great but it's not horrible either. The fact that it's explosive damage means it does full damage to charger and spewer asses and you can actually just gun them down relatively easily. Also, it's the only primary that can shoot bot walkers in the face because the small explosion kills the pilot. I would still usually rather have the DMR for a similar role but the scorcher isn't totally unusuable

Does the explosive liberator become useful at higher difficulties? I have enough credits for the premium warbond but nothing in it has really tipped me over the edge from "wait to see what the next one is." The gun looks great and it'd be cool if doing full damage to chargers and spewers made it a good choice, but I feel like you have much better support weapon options by the time you're dealing with heavies in quantities that outpace strategem cooldowns.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Had the mission timer reached zero? The Pelican automatically flies in when that happens and leaves shortly after.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

The railgun felt appropriately powerful for needing to wait until level 20 to unlock. I feel like the bigger need, for bugs at least, was to do something about chargers. I play on PS5 and there’s no way I’m able to aim for the 10mm of exposed skin at its leg joint like that one goon was talking about a couple days ago. Getting headshots on bots is also not a given. I appreciate the PC players who can, but a lot of these changes feel like the result of crossplay discrepancies.

I can only take one primary gun. Buff those to make more of them appealing.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 6, 2024

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

This bug that switches you to holding a grenade after you throw a stratagem, regardless of what you were previously holding, is pretty annoying.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

boz posted:

If you have your quick grenade bound to your Strategem button you need to change it. That's what's causing it to happen.

From a little back, about the game placing a grenade in your hand after throwing a stratagem. Thanks for this. It’d been driving me nuts the past two nights. I’ve had quick grenade bound to L1 since the game’s first week so this is definitely a bug related to Wednesday’s patch.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Yeah it’s pretty disappointing since it takes so many medals to unlock. I like the burst fire, though.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Last night my Slugger took down a Hulk with two shots to its back. I'd honestly never bothered trying that with any other primaries previously. Is this another one of the Slugger's advantages or is the Hulk's weak spot more vulnerable to small arms than I'd assumed?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

LazyMaybe posted:

Takes more shots than that, must have been shot by someone else.

Maybe it was more like 3-4 shots. But I'm pretty certain the hulk was undamaged because I now exclusively play with some friends who recently got the game and we're pretty stalled at 4-5 as they struggle to skill up. As much as I love grouping with IRL friends, I miss doing Suicide Missions with goons.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Mar 8, 2024

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Arrowhead staff being abused was inexcusable. That said, it's some cringy edgelord poo poo for people to jump up and say "actually, antagonizing angry people was good" and act surprised that it exacerbated the situation.

Edit: editing this to be clearer when I'm referring to the discourse and not Arrowhead staff themselves

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Mar 8, 2024

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Musluk posted:

dreadnoughts

These things are missing a flag pole for our capes to ensure everyone knows we're distinguished helldivers and not SEAF chumps, but that's playing with copyright suit fire.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Does it matter how far into unsafe you charge the New Railgun, or is it still like pre-patch where any amount over seems to do the same damage?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Nuebot posted:

Because until difficulty 3 or so you don't even really see a charger and aggro is an absolute non-issue. 3-5 you see one or two chargers the whole mission and too many enemies is solved by throwing a strategem at it.

This was my experience around the game’s launch, but I’ve been playing lower difficulty missions with some friends who just got the game and we had five chargers show up to an objective on difficulty 4. It was wild.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Black Noise posted:

When you are joining through quickly play are you able to see the type of mission on the briefing or is that blocked because the host is already on the map?

I have been showing up to some missions ill prepared.

You can’t see the type of mission, but it’s almost certainly a bug. Same with some boosters being greyed out even though no one already in the mission is using them.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Darth Walrus posted:

One way to think of a 380 barrage is as area denial. You may not destroy the base/formation you're dropping it on, but you'll certainly make 'em keep their heads down for a good long while. It's kind of like a napalm strike rated against heavy armour in that way.

Is this a thing? I’ve never noticed any kind of mechanic where enemies alter their behavior while under bombardment. I know bugs just keep charging right at you and I feel like bots still shoot at the same volume.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Mainwaring posted:

100% agree on this. Shared reload is such a cool concept but by far the biggest downside is the reload buddy needs to be able to stick by your side.

It worked much better in HD1 where everyone was on a shared screen. Everyone is so much more spread out in HD2 and I agree it'd make buddy loading a lot more appealing if anyone on the team could run up and assist the shooter.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

atelier morgan posted:

i think it'll quietly be helpful for new players

i know my (and everybody else in my group's) first reaction to encountering chargers was to shoot an EAT fruitlessly into it's skull

might also make the RR a more viable choice to bring vs bugs if you can reliably expect a quick shot to the front to kill, rather than needing to line up on the leg with follow up

Not a wrong first reaction considering the RR's demo video in the stratagem store features a helldiver one-shotting a charger head-on. If the intent was only to be cinematic it was pretty misleading.

I can't play until tonight to see how this tweak to chargers affects things, but I would have rather they made its giant red rear end weaker instead of its head. Echoing the people who got a chuckle from the patch's line about the charger's obvious weak point - especially when its rear end was the weak point in HD1. Besides having heavy armor, the narrower angle of vulnerability helped make the charger a fun and unique challenge. It's bewildering that they aren't just running that back for the sequel.

Edit: making them easier to kill and decreasing their frequency seems like two big changes when testing one would have been better. At least they're compensating with more bugs. That video posted with all the hunters looks metal as hell.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Mar 12, 2024

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

facialimpediment posted:

anger at being teamkilled is just democracy communism leaving the body

:shuckyes:

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

BitBasher posted:

If memory serves the video shows the second RR shot killing the charger, not the first.

I think you’re right and I misremembered.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Once you get up into the higher difficulties the group composition matters a lot more. I’ll flex my stratagems based on what I see other people doing, but I often run the loadout you listed with rockets swapped for the rail cannon. For me, the confidence in the rail cannon’s effectiveness trumps how frequently you can use the rockets. Plus I’m laying down so many EATs I’m not necessarily lacking for AT.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

William Bear posted:

One of the biggest balance mistakes is that the Redeemer is far and away the best sidearm. Nothing comes close. It's a straight upgrade from the pistol, the revolver takes forever to reload, and, as mentioned, the laser pistol does hardly any damage.

My suggestion would be to add a speed-loader to the revolver and make the Redeemer less accurate (or the starting pistol more accurate).

The good news is that I saw a leak that they're planning a pistol that shoots grenades. That should be interesting!

Could the laser pistol's strength be in playing stealthy? It hardly makes any noise, right? The other pistols would attract a lot more attention. And I know there's all but confirmation they'll be bringing suppressors back for HD2, but maybe this is supposed to be the go-to until then?

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Darox posted:

I tried the grenade launcher against bots. I put two rounds into the chest of a rocket devastator and then he killed me with a rocket cross counter as the third grenade finished him off.

I will not be using the grenade launcher against bots again.

Yeah ditto. Group last night was two autocannons and an AMR so I thought I'd switch it up and go grenade launcher. I'd used it occasionally in mid-difficulties, but it isn't enough punch in higher difficulties. I still may use it on blitzes from time to time, but definitely not again in a regular mission.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 25, 2024

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

causticBeet posted:

This seems about right. If they buffed buddy reloads by letting someone reload of the RR users backpack it would be in a really good spot I think.

I loved running RR in the first game and hope they do this. IIRC the RR also did much more damage than the EAT in HD1. Being cumbersome to run and with no clear damage advantage over the EAT makes the RR really easy to pass up at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Whoever said they fixed the equipment reset bug for PS5 is a filthy and deceitful liar.