Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fortunately, the vivax malaria in Texas and Florida can be used to treat the syphilis. The Nobel Prize in medicine was awarded for this in 1927.

Physicians can then cure the malaria with the hydroxychloroquine that everyone is lately so fond of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Nikki Haley says Texas can secede from US if it wants but 'isn't going to'

The former Ambassador to the United Nations has such a wise diplomatic mind. :allears:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Arnold Schwarzenegger? The specialty European brickmason?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

The type of cancer has not been revealed - it is not prostate cancer, but was discovered during his recent treatment for an enlarged prostate.

Well that’s a good sign, from the perspective of a free Ireland.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Chuckling at the incredibly stupid phrase "military-grade missile".

Only 1290s kids will remember when three-hundred-pound stones were military-grade missiles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mustang posted:

To give me a reason to vote for them that isn't "I'm not Trump and we aren't Republicans".

Hear a lot about how Trump and his cult is a threat to American democracy, but not about what Democrats stand for and how they can make America a better place to live.

And messaging is important, something that Democrats are loving awful at. Great at appealing to upper middle class folks with graduate degrees that read policy for fun, but not much else.

Joe’s campaign website literally does not have a single page on policy.

People have pointed to the White House priorities page, which is the third link I get on Google looking for Biden campaign policy, and it’s awful in its own way.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Draft John Kerry

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

I just remembered all the poo poo the feds did to fix baby formula shortage fuckups and monkeypox from 2022-2023.

These were really not proud points.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MrMojok posted:

Yes it certainly does—and I can’t find that post anymore. Do you have that saved by chance?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050864&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=30#post537394206

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TheFluff posted:

The NTSB preliminary report on Alaska 1282 is out (although the server is very hard to reach at the moment). As expected they conclude that the retaining bolts were not installed. They have also been digging through manufacturing records and found there's photo evidence of the door plug lacking its retaining bolts:

The reason for removing the plug is stated to be damaged rivets, which is consistent with what the whistleblower posted a few weeks ago.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gonna hire a guy with a gravelly voice to call out this vote for the primary.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GOP once again making Democrats look cooler than they deserve

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The only thing Whataburger is good for now is providing number placards for evidence markers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Make PSAs with BMX riders dodging murderous teen drivers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Knives Amilli posted:

theres no real outreach to these kids to get them engaged in the outdoors, tech, or even working at Bezos warehouses

And you believe that such a thing would result in fewer maladjusted young people?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 8, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

https://www.military.com/daily-news...e-base.html?amp

2 Fort Myer Soldiers Arrested and Charged with Stealing LGBTQ+ Pride Flags from House Beside Base

The ghost of Otto Warmbier possessed them to do it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Someone please update me on the status of Blake’s Lotaburger.

TIA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Invoke the twenty‐fifth amendment and give the people President Kamala Harris.

It would be one hell of a hail Mary.

Bonus: try filling the vacancy in the vice presidency.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
JASPER, Ala. (WBRC/Gray News) - A 200-foot AM radio tower in Alabama is gone, stolen without a trace.

quote:

WJLX’s AM station signal has been greatly impacted by the theft in Walker County.

Station general manager Brett Elmore said he remains hopeful that somebody will share information to help law enforcement find those responsible for the theft. Still, he said he is blown away by what happened.

“I have tried all weekend to figure it out, and I just can’t. I have been in the radio business, around it all my life and then in it professionally for 26 years, and I can say I have never heard of anything like this. I can say I’ve seen it all now,” Elmore said.

He said they first learned of the theft on Friday. He said a bush hog crew went down to the WJLX tower site to clean up the property, but the thieves had already cleared it out.

“When he arrived, he called me Friday and said, ‘The tower is gone.’ I said, ‘What do you mean the tower is gone? Are you sure you are at the right place?’ you know. He said, ‘The tower is gone. There is wires everywhere, and it is gone.’”

Elmore said they are working with the FCC to get temporary authority to carry on while they rebuild the AM side of their operations. Still, its unclear just how long the rebuild efforts could take.

“This really hurts a small operation like this, but like I said, I believe we will find out who did this. It is a federal crime and it absolutely will not be worth it to them,” he said.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He gave a figure to The Guardian.

quote:

For the small radio station, the theft has had a significant impact. Elmore said the station’s property was not insured. Replacing the tower could cost the station anywhere between $100,000 to $150,000, which is “more money than we have”, Elmore said.

WIXI ought to be nervous. Their tower is within a half mile, and it’s taller.

This bit may be about them.

quote:

Elmore added that WJLX wasn’t the only station to be hit by thieves. About six months ago, a nearby radio station had their air conditioning unit, copper pipes and other materials stolen.

Elmore isn’t sure if the robberies are connected, but believes thieves may have targeted WJLX’s tower and transmitter to make a quick buck from selling the metal.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Feb 9, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I would not be surprised if no one saw much.

WJLX’s stolen tower was at the grey marker below and right of image center. The nearby WIXI is labelled “WWWB”, which is a callsign that has not been in use there since the Reagan administration, so it’s impressive that it made it into Google’s database.

The line east of them is Norfolk Southern rail, not highway.

WJLX’s lost tower was only barely visible from the parking lot at the poultry processing plant.

WIXI’s tower is seen above the building on the left. WJLX’s is skulking among the treetops near the right edge, above the blue barrel, two thousand feet from Google’s Streetview car.

The thieves might be spotted driving away with truckloads of tower pieces, but the dismantling itself could be a low‐key affair.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Feb 9, 2024

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They’re petting rabid foxes on Capitol Hill.

Cigarette butts are nothing to them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Dark Brandon LASER eyes gimmick peaked with the thermochromic mug.

At this point, it’s officially trying too hard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well it made at least one birdwatcher mad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I looked into what was being reported about the shooter and after a few minutes decided that there are several billion people on this Earth who deserved my attention more than them, so I closed the tabs and went on a walk.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If they’ve come to Rachel Dolezal, the teacher shortage must be serious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Elmo got mad about the NLRB calling him on anti-union poo poo with SpaceX, so he got mad and filed a lawsuit to get the NLRB ruled unconstitutional. He filed it in SDTX to try and judge-shop and argue it was a nationwide effect to the business. A problem for him is that SpaceX is headquartered in California, incorporated in Delaware, 7/8 affected workers are based out of California

He reportedly just got the corporation transferred to Texas, not that it matters for this case.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Promote ahead of peers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
gently caress that poo poo. Shoes are more comfortable after they’re broken in.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Back when reusing glass bottles was the standard there were a lot more bottling plants in more places so you didn't have to ship so much mass so far.

Incidentally, when did the SA quote tag develop a expand/contract feature?

A little under two days ago

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

As a prank I've deployed the new guy's code while he's sleeping. Let us know what you think and if you have any problems. I feel like sometimes users are going to accidentally collapse a quote when they want to view the post it's quoting instead - that's the tradeoff of putting the caret in the most convenient place.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Tiny Timbs posted:

Bad time to share the “Taylor Swift gassing up the private jet to roll over in bed” meme huh

None of those memes mention the second jet.

https://twitter.com/AirlineFlyer/status/1756336583433707820

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Good news on the neurotoxic planes front: there’s finally action on getting the lead out.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s supposed to be a drop-in replacement, running in anything that takes 100LL, mixed in any ratio.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Discussion Quorum posted:

Under no circumstances would I want to impose any laws that limit the reproductive choices of others, but I understand where the would-be parents are coming from and think that in a world that operates on good faith (not this one) you could legally acknowledge that these were intended to be born. If someone had destroyed the frozen embryo that is now my son and gotten off as if it was simple destruction of property, I am pretty sure the resulting crack-ping would have seen me move to the mountains and start writing a manifesto.

The way I see it, it ought to be legislated/prosecuted under the scope of negligent infliction of emotional distress. It’s a violation of the prospective parent(s), not the embryo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Justice Alito takes aim at marriage equality again, warning that Obergefell means "Americans who do not hide their adherence to traditional religious beliefs about homosexual conduct" are being "labeled as bigots and treated as such" by the state and "society."

quote:

"Americans who do not hide their adherence to traditional religious beliefs about homosexual conduct" are being "labeled as bigots and treated as such" by the state and "society."

My brother in Christ, that is the dictionary definition of bigot.

quote:

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
especially : one who regards or treats the members of a group (such as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

I originally thought that nutcase Alabama Supreme Court ruling was just related to lawsuits on egregious cases where the IVF lab hosed up, but nope. The opinion and concurrence basically kills IVF in the state and the University of Roll Tide has already stopped IVF actions:

https://twitter.com/JoyceWhiteVance/status/1760347241989251304?s=19

Hooray theocracy!

Surely all the people “concerned about falling birth rate” have something to say about this.

P.S.: Remember when Trump tried to move Space Force headquarters to Alabama? Yikes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You’re a loose Cannon, Aileen. I’m taking you off the case.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

And the shocking development is that it's not a lolsuit, Santos has a case, so say hello to an exhibit that Judge Cote will have to play in her courtroom:

https://x.com/PortaThottie/status/1732906577114304757?s=20

https://apnews.com/article/george-santos-jimmy-kimmel-copyright-lawsuit-41e1c2951945e11c069a41f9ea62281d

I predict that they will settle out of court for an undisclosed sum.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I love how we can’t use stronger language than “financial misconduct”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Henry Liu, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Competition. “Essential grocery store workers would also suffer under this deal, facing the threat of their wages dwindling, benefits diminishing, and their working conditions deteriorating.”

Get the public to smack pots together when they get off shift.

That’s just as good as improving their conditions, right?