Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
"Midgar Zolem" was better and didn't need fixing :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Absolutely adoring the game. Loving every second. My only issue is that running around is weirdly janky. It felt great, albeit a bit stiff, in Remake but these rough terrains doesn't quite fit their movement model. There's a disconnect in the animation with there not being any real transitions and the little hills really kills momentum for a moment. You adjust to it quickly but it never stops feeling a bit janky.

Aside from that I'm really liking all the changes and, following the tradition of Remake, everything has a lot of thought and care into it. I'm looking forward to getting the soundtrack.

The world is designed like Death Stranding except I'm not going into the game excited about dealing with the lovely terrain so I just have a chocobo that can't deal with rocky terrain or can't jump off cliffs.

I'm only still in the grasslands because of work and poo poo, but so far I'm feeling a lot about this how I did about remake, although so far the side stuff is SLIGHTLY more engaging. I really liked the little quest where you help the farmgirl make a flower crown. I love a lot of the little added stuff to characters, there's way more Red XIII characterization now, I adore basically any Tifa/Aerith stuff, I really liked how the backstory handled Sephiroth where he feels way more like a real person until things go sideways. The music is absolutely insanely good, some of the best remastered music I've heard in a video game. The farm music in particular I was really grooving too.

But there's stuff that isn't doing it for me, it sucks to move around the open world. The terrain is annoying, especially on a chocobo, the yellow climbing bits as awful and take forever to go up or down them. The game does not look as good to me as I wish it did. Is this game exclusive to PS5 because it sure doesn't look that way. This is a little less noticeable when you're overlooking the open world, although even then if you look out into say the shore near Midgar and see the giant pipes, the textures, the pipes, everything looks pretty rough. A lot of Kalm had the problem that a lot of Midgar had in the first one where there's a ton of bad looking models and low rez textures and the pop-in is real bad. I first noticed this in Kalm where I take a few steps back and the flowers on a cart disappear and then come back when I get close. That is insane to me, I'm playing on a PS5 and on the graphics mode too. Ratchet and Clank really set a bar for me that I don't think any game on the PS5 has managed to pass yet for me, though GoW and Horizon do come close. Granted R&C was doing a much more cartoony style so the art style itself does a lot of heavy lifting but still

But ya know, I love FF7 to death and I love these characters so I'll keep going despite these issues. For all my problems I had with Remake I still think fondly of all the really well done character stuff.

edit: I will never 100% this game though because I will never touch a card game. I would rather die

NikkolasKing posted:

I asked this of a poster in the Persona thread about P3 Reload and, well, this is another JRPG remake so why no ask it here, too.

Do you feel the remake has replaced the original insofar as you have no interest in replaying original FFVII now the Remake(s) exist? You would sooner replay the Remake than FFVII, basically.

The comparison between P3R and FFVIIR might not fit too well, though, because I assume P3R plays more or less like original P3, while FFVIIR is a whole different beast from original VII.

Absolutely not. These games are a sequel to FF7 and not actually remakes (I mean the first like 5 minutes of this game is basically a big neon flashing sign that you should play FF7 first), and I think you are doing yourself a disservice not playing the OG first.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So is it only the green quests that matter as far as your friendship level or whatever or does the various other open world junk also matter? Is that just for EXP or getting the titan materia or w/e

I'm finding a lot of the open world Chadley stuff (and just traversing it in general) as tedious as I figured it would be and would really just like to start mainlining the story, and if the general open world stuff is just combat oriented bonuses I don't mind missing them.

edit: Also I would rather die than play a card game but I'm realizing I'm gonna have to do that grasslands green quest that has to do with the card game if I want to make Tifa happy aren't I

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

You want to at least do the Protorelic stuff.

Can you spoil why (assuming it's not some really important story thing I don't want spoiled). I just did the first Fort Condor one and I'm not super looking forward to playin that multiple more times

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just experienced the Red XIII bit on the ship and I don't think I've ever been more speechless. Absolutely incredible

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

RatHat posted:

I’d call it more a reimagining than a remake at this point. FF7 Remake had a bunch of scenes that were near 1-to-1 with the original but there isn’t much of that in this one

That said, if you view it as its own thing it’s really good

These games are sequels to OG FF7. So much that happens in the main story hinges on the fact that you know what happens in the story and specific scenes before playing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

RatHat posted:

In a meta sense, yeah. But they aren’t marketed that way

I agree they aren't. They should be. That was one of the issues I had with Remake. I'm down with this alternate timeline stuff they're doing but I wish they would've been up front about that in the first place.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Aerith turned blue but Tifa hasn't yet :ohdear: I want the Tifa date. I think I answered a question badly on the beach just now for Tifa but I've basically nailed everything with Aerith. I guess I could give a lovely response to Aerith on the next choice but I don't like being mean to all my good video game friends :(

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I just got the little cutscene with Rufus having the little meeting with his crew. Heidegger is perfect, the way they animating him throwing his head back when he laughs, Hojo is so perfectly a huge weird creep, I liked the detail that he was not at all scared of Rufus' dog. Palmer is weirdly one of the most accurately reproduced in 3D out of any of the characters.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The intro to the Gold Saucer was incredible :buddy:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

So I just finished the Gold Saucer/Corel section. I saw that tweet going around about that said they messed up the Dyne stuff, but I didn't want to read too deeply into the tweet for spoilers. Now that I've done all that I'm wondering what the issue is? My big worry upon seeing that tweet go around was that they were going to have Dyne NOT die, or they were going to have him come back to life, but he still kills himself. It doesn't happen in the same way as the OG game where he jumps off a cliff, but he still commits suicide and leaves Barret with all the guilt and sadness he did in the OG. Dyne basically going "I can't have Marlene see what I've become" and killing himself still happens. So I'm really curious what the problem was, I don't want to risk searching for the tweet. I felt they handled the Barret/Dyne stuff amazingly. The thing I think they did fumble on was, Corel Prison itself. It might as well have been a totally different city from the OG, I thought they did a real bad job with it, and the collecting greens poo poo for the chocobo REALLY felt like padding. I super hated that.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Okay I got the buggy. Had a mostly great time during the last several sections (feeding the chocobo sucked but the Gold Saucer was amazing and the Barret/Dyne stuff was great and fighting Palmer in his stupid rear end robot was hilarious. Let's go back to Johnny in the desert and do this next step of his nonsense.

"Find SIX LIFESPRING WELLS in the corel region". Yuffie, i'm sorry buddy, I fear you shall never reach peak friendship because I can't do that poo poo a second time with the only different being I have to do SIX instead of 2.

I stopped doing the open world stuff after the grasslands because it's tedious garbage and I hated it, and I have been enjoying the game much more because of it. Only doing the green side quests. But this Yuffie quest for Costa Del Sol A) stars Johnny and B) has had me do some of the most tedious nonsense, and also won't mark on the map where the objectives are for each step. This last step was the last straw. I refuse. I want the game to progress. Johnny I hope your stupid inn collapses.

edit: Let me go do this other green sidequest. This one appears to be for Barret.

"Craft a bird trap, but you need a transmuter chip. You can ascertain the location of the transmuter chip through lifespring analysis"

Am I being pranked?

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 20, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

Lifesprings also give cool boss fights and are like the easiest things to find so I don't know why you wouldn't do them except out of spite against the open world

I'm also missing out on summons, but :shrug: the open world stuff does absolutely nothing for me even with the rewards. The main story stuff is (mostly) excellent and I have limited time to play anyway so I want to focus on that. The green quests are pretty hit and miss but I've enjoyed the characters stuff in them and they give relationship points. Chasing a dog while Barret has a crisis about being a good father is top tier content.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Corel side quests want you to do World Intel so you have time to get acquainted with you new best pal Cait Sith

Joke's on Chadley, I was all in on Cait Sith from the start

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I have to hit either L2 or R2 to choose between the white ghosts and the black ghosts as Tifa and I don't know what to press :ohdear:

edit: IT'S NOT A CHOICE IT'S A TWO BUTTONS AT ONCE THING :lol: :doh: Sitting here like an idiot being like OMG WHICH TO CHOOSE I DON'T KNOW

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 20, 2024

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

BOOOOOO using an x-potion on Gi Natak doesn't one shot it BOOOOOO BAD GAME

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This like extra stuff with the Gi that happens after you're done with the Gi Cave seems like a strange addition? The pacing felt like it stopped dead all of a sudden to go do this and the Zack stuff with Biggs. I don't remember the Gi having much significance in the OG after Cosmo Canyon, was there underlying stuff there I just don't remember? It kind of feels unnecessary

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

This is me being nitpicky about certain changes but I'm not a huge fan of the gang immediately, upon getting to the gates of Nibelheim right there on the spot, figuring out that everything is brand new and Shinra rebuilt the town. I much more preferred the slower burn of getting to the town and the initial confusion about why it looks exactly like it used to, and then you learn about the rebuilding through notes you find in one of the buildings. Nitpicky as well, I also kind of feel like this is one of those instances where they put too many people in the town, where Nibelheim should not feel this crowded

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Aeris and Cait Sith's synergy ability is amazing. It even makes the Mario power up sound :golfclap: And then you just absolutely loving beat the poo poo out of the boss with your moogle fists

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Blockhouse posted:

There's absolutely nothing about the Gi in the original game. The addition of material about them in Rebirth is to 1. give some kind of context to the black materia, which otherwise has no origin or story to it in the original game, 2. imply that the Cetra weren't the perfect peaceful utopian guardians of the planet that the legends play them up as, and 3. introduce the concept that aliens don't get to return to the lifestream (and make you think about who else that applies to)

ImpAtom posted:

It also gives Red XIII an actual connection to the plot and story, which in the original FF7 he just doesn't have. Classic Red XIII is basically there to guide you to his grandpa and then he hangs out. By giving him an actual connection to the Black Materia and an actual stated goal (trying to resolve the Gi Tribe thing), it helps solidify him as an actual cast member and not a hanger on.

I wonder if some of that is meant for people who are playing this for the first time instead of the OG. To me as someone who played the original, the Black Materia didn't need any expending to be honest, neither did I really need the alien not returning to the life stream thing. The Cetra bit IS I think a little interesting, but you don't really need the Gi for that. The Gi thing never has any impact in how I viewed Red either, I didn't view it as him being a "hanger on" or not a real cast member, he sticks with us to help us save the planet. I don't think he really needed anything extra to like... legitimize him

Also not to pile on the negatives, Cid so far feels like a completely different person and I don't like it. If it turns out to be intentional because of alternate reality stuff then whatever I hope it does pay off, but I'm not really digging the Cid stuff so far.

To say something positive, I DO really like all the expanded Cait Sith stuff, he feels quite a bit more fleshed out here. Also dropkicking enemies with the giant moogle is hilarious, and the dice move occasionally will spawn your equipped summon which is also hilarious

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

goethe.cx posted:

They kind of had to make Cid different. It wouldn't have gone over well if they made him basically a domestic abuser like the original

I mean sure, but his personality, at least so far, isn't really the same even outside of that. I think it's fine removing the domestic abuse stuff, that part was always uncomfortable and weird, but you could still have him be cantankerous and angry. Shinra gives him plenty of reasons to be. So far all the characters have felt very true to their original versions, Cid doesn't so far. But maybe that will change in the future I have no idea yet if Rebirth goes to Rocket Town, I'm currently heading for the 2nd Gold Saucer visit, which I know happens after Rocket Town in the original. I sure hope it eventually happens because I really want to see Palmer get hit by a truck in HD

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I think ive already said this itt but it bears repeating, aerith and tifa becoming besties almost immediately is one of the best character beats in these games on par with wedge being genuinely scared of tifa

Tifa and Aerith being BFFs is super cute and I'm glad it never devolves into weird love triangle jealousy stuff. Like it's such a simple little interaction but in Nibel when Tifa is checking out her house, if you go up the water tower with Aerith, you can see Tifa through the window. She spots you guys and waves and while Cloud just kind of sits there awkwardly, Aerith waves back with both hands enthusiastically. Or Tifa grabbing Aerith's hand to pull her through the crowd at the Gold Saucer, or Tifa going "come my child" and Aerith replying "guide me o Tifa" if you switch to Tifa during their Costa Del Sol part

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

The Synergy ability where Aerith makes like a forcefield and Tifa jumps around inside of it going absolutely loving berserk all the enemies at once and then punches the ground super hard hitting everyone inside absolutely rules

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I liked that you were rewarded with having to suffer throwing boxes (assuming we're talking about the same part) with an entire room of a billion boxes that you can just roll through them like Dark Souls and I could do that all day

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm on what I assume is the final sequence of the final fight, and I got a game over for the first time and I'm now seeing what everyone was talking about because what the gently caress is the wording on these choices

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Alright I have finished the game and I... don't really know how to feel about it. I don't really feel particularly strong one way or the other about the ending?

The only real thought I have is that it's going to be a bummer next game not getting any Aerith/Tifa BFF scenes anymore

I liked the final fight way more than the first game's, until it got to the mechanic with the wings and it felt like suddenly hitting traffic on the road and slamming the breaks in my car

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

There's a bunch of stufff about Rebirth that I didn't like, and changes I didn't like, but I think Cait Sith rules and I loved all the extra stuff they did with him and they turned him into such a fun combat character in this one. I love his stupid dice move, sometime it's like "blizzaga happens or whatever" but sometimes Ifrit comes out and dropkicking bosses is hilarious. Cait Sith himself feels great to run around with and roll, and his animations are all really good. The box section goes on for way too long, but frankly Rebirth has a bunch of sections that go one way too long

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I just did this last night and I only ever equip my main party of 3 so everyone else literally had zero materia. Decided to just try and go through it like that because it was faster than having to go through every single fight again. Luckily Tifa had lightning/aero otherwise I would not be able to get past that section. Not a big fan of back to back fights like that when otherwise the game had been pretty good at letting you switch materia between sequences. No way am I redoing it just to equip Aerith, I will solo Sephiroth.

I can finally read these threads and I guess people are saying the ending to this game is bad?? and I kind of feel that way right now too.

I don't think the ending of the game is bad so much as... I don't really feel anything one way or the other about it? Which is kind of worse to be honest.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I was feeling pretty "whatever" about the ending of the game but I'm watching this Easy Allies thing Maximilian Dood guested on, and him talking about the ending and what they're most likely going for is making me very :hmmyes:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

deoju posted:

There'll be 9 characters in the next game. Hopefully they have a section of 3 parties of 3 like 2 of 3 in the Temple of the Ancients.

Also Cid and Vincent should get sections focused on them.

I'd like to make the prediction that we're going to get a playable character next game that has never been playable before, and it's going to be Rufus

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

One of the most unintentionally (I think) funny bits about the post nibelham chapters is how often Vincent and Cid are just chilling with the gang but not fighting so whenever there is a big fight you get a cut to one or both of them sort of watching

The best one of those is outside of the Temple of the Ancients, where Cid is like "Whoa no I'm absolutely not going in there, but don't you worry, I'll be here to give you a quick exit once you return", it's all part of an actual cutscene. And then if you walk over to Vincent after the cutscene and talk to him he literally just says "I've got nothing" :lol:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Augus posted:

I am Team Tifa all the way but the Aerith date is an extremely good character moment that is worth watching.

The sad thing about the dates is that all of them except for the bonus one all feel like really good important character moments but you can only see one, and most people are going to see either Tifa or Aerith. Red and Yuffie are like excited children getting to just have a fun time on a ride, and they're really nice one on ones with them. Red even brings up some minor story stuff about himself that is weird you can miss. Barret having this like fatherly talk to Cloud is really nice, Yuffie essentially talks to the world's worst dating expert about boys and her crush on Zach (though she doesn't say his name) and it's really cute, and it's also cute for the same reason Red's is, where she's an excited kid going on this right with you.

The Cid, Vincent, and Cait Sith one is really more of a joke scene, I kind of come off it feeling bad for Cait Sith. Sort of wish there was a solo Cait Sith one to be honest

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I need a compilation of everything like this because it's so cool.

https://twitter.com/pwtizza/status/1774663845472301318?t=D43mFJSHH0rxuIO9HRRQrQ
https://twitter.com/nitezintodreamz/status/1775577538741342305

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Gologle posted:

I have no idea what Promises to Keep means in context to the game's themes

is it just a nice song that they wanted to make for the game???

I don't know a nicer way to say this: You can't be serious

Gologle posted:

You know that Internet thing that says when you're happy you groove to the song, when you're sad you listen to the lyrics?

I have yet to be sad enough by playing this game to actually pay attention to the lyrics

I've never heard that saying before in my life, you ideally want to listen to the lyrics to understand its connection to the game's themes and its characters.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Arkage posted:

While the new version of the Temple of the Ancient song is good, I really do miss the original.

I wasn't really a fan of it. I guess they felt it needed to be changed up because they do a higher tempo version later on (which ends up sounding more like the original) but I was really looking forward to a proper remaster of the original song.