Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

grobbo
May 29, 2014
https://twitter.com/ianberriman/status/1763270324508848325/photo/2

god, he's such a shyster prick. Schrodinger's anti-imperialist revert / terf nationalist.

regardless,

Rarity posted:

Lmao Labour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

massive spider posted:

It struck me as such a sketchy line of defence, he wasn't in the firing line for 'being a naughty boy', it was for forcibly penetrating a woman(or plural) who was telling him "no", which is rape. It had a whiff of "well whomst among us doesent have a few sex crimes in the closet?"

George "my opponent says she was forced by her family into an abusive and rape-filled marriage at the age of 15, but in fact she was 16, the liar" Galloway being sketchy on sex crimes shouldn't come as a massive surprise, in all fairness.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Clearly now is the time for the Suzanne Moore political campaign that the public have been crying out for.

(Beloved 1995 hip-hop anthem I got 5 On It features singer Michael Marshall on the chorus, as well as a memorable sample taken from 1987's "Why You Treat Me So Bad", which had in turn stolen its tune from a 1986 song, "Thinking About You", written Michael Marshall. It was a complete coincidence that Marshall ended up singing over his own music a decade later.)

grobbo fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 1, 2024

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I think it's clear enough now that we're dealing with a basic Ready Or Not scenario, and Kate's eyes were scourged by the Royals' demonic patron Mr LeBail as punishment for letting Meghan escape.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
*sees a photo of two early-middle-aged men in uniform roughly resembling Rory Kinnear and Homelander*

Cor, what a pair of smoking babes. Phwoar. Whew. Hoo-wee. Hubba hubba hubba

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Only one man has the knowledge of his target and the training to track down and neutralise the mass-murdering prince...but after so many betrayals, will Harry take on the job?

This summer: BAD WILL HUNTING.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

MeinPanzer posted:

She probably had surgery to remove a section of her bowel and was terrified that she'd have to be seen in public with a stoma/colostomy bag.

I'm sure the solution is something like this, and I expect the final explanation is just 'they're weird and out-of-touch' but I really don't understand exactly what there is to fear from transparency when the only outcome would be a slew of 'GET WELL SOON MA'AM' and 'KATE TRULY IS JUST LIKE THE REST OF US' headlines.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Rappaport posted:

Even if the conspiracies wind up with homonazi gold-stealing pizza goblins, it's wild to me that the Crown just blanket refuses to make any kind of statement that makes the least bit of sense. "Oh she's under the weather, look here's a Perfectly Ordinary Tweet from her highness saying how sorry she is for being a bit shite with the photo shoppies while she's in the 'ospital, cheerio luv" is the most conspiracy-fueling way to handle this outside of "oh she's gone to a nunnery in southern France for her Health, ask no further questions"

Releasing a handpicked photo of the back of her head in a stationary car remains just the funniest decision you could possibly make from a crisis comms perspective.

"Yes, this should calm things down."

grobbo
May 29, 2014
There's a generation of white people who've developed this kind of joking-but-also-genuinely-resentful reverse exceptionalism when it comes to any prominent black figures they've had to grow up alongside, which in their minds is not the same thing at all as racism.

So of course Hester isn't racist! He just thinks Diane Abbott is thick. It's not because she's black, he'd say the same thing if she was white.

Oh, and Obama is smug. And Tiger Woods, he was arrogant. And Mandela, Mandela wasn't as saintly as he's painted out to be. And Serena Williams is mannish. And Meghan Markle, she's just awful. And Jay-Z is a lowlife. And did you know that the Africans were also slave traders? And-

Singling out and bullying people of colour for failing to know their place is part of the apparatus of white supremacy, but I don't think the media and political discourse is really able to engage with that head-on so I guess we'll get Keith demanding the Tories return the £10 million for a week, a few rounds of "well, he apologised", and we'll be done.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The Corbyn coverage that will always stick with me, although it goes against the grain of most of this stuff, was early on when a Daily Mail grandee (might have been Quentin Letts?) went to one of his rallies and reported back, with a kind of confused awe, that he'd witnessed Jez stop and pet a dog, just like a real human being.

Today's big news on Twitter seems to be that everyone's decided Charles is dead now, largely just because wouldn't it be funny if it happened on St Patrick's Day.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
"eat a health-threatening number of chocolate eggs to show those liberal doctors you won't be pushed around" has the definite vibe of something that happens when you fail an Authority check in Disco Elysium.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Gull chat:

One time I was in Bristol walking along the edge of the waterfront stuffing a Greggs baguette in my cake 'ole when this gull swooped down over my head and literally stole it from my mouth where I was just tearing a bit off & there was about half a ham & cheese baguette there. I shook my fist at it and shouted 'fascist' at it to the bemusement of those around me.

I've seen Bristol gulls swallow pigeon corpses whole like a pelican, they're maybe just on the verge of being full-on eldritch abominations at this point.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
This is somehow not an April fool, as it was posted on the Mail last night? https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/apr/01/national-trust-defends-vegan-scone-recipe-after-wokery-criticism

quote:

The National Trust has long prided itself on its famous scones. There is even a blog dedicated to them, along with a “scone of the month” feature. And with more than 3m sold every year, including those served with cream teas at its 300-plus tearooms, they are seen as an integral part of the National Trust day out.

But now the organisation has been forced to defend its recipe in the face of claims its scones have secretly gone “woke” with the introduction of a vegan recipe.

Forget whether the jam tops the cream, or the other way round: it is the lack of butter that reportedly is angering some visitors. ome critics have gone public, condemning the use of vegetable spread rather than butter in the plant-based scones served in National Trust cafes.

Maude Newby, 64, a longtime National Trust member from Bury St Edmunds, told the Daily Mail: “I can’t stand the taste of the new scones. They are not like traditional ones at all – they are flatter, drier and have an unappealing texture.”

Sure, why not. Margarine is now woke, and it's a treacherous betrayal if you don't tell people you're using it. Electric toothbrushes are virtue-signalling, as are loafers and non-alcoholic beer. All of it, newsworthy stuff.

In the tiresome, trivial preoccupations of Maude Newby, 64, we detect the death yowls of a crumbling nation reduced to suet.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Tai posted:

Her donations are the equivalent of someone in this thread handing out a few quid to a homeless person and then making sure everyone knows that you make donations and do philanthropy.

I know we've sensibly kept the text of Rowling's rantings off-thread, but I think it's relevant to point out that she has a history with one of the trans women she attacks (and categorises alongside sex offenders, and implies to be part of a collective danger to women's safety) - Mridul Wadhwa, the director of the Edinburgh Rape Crisis Centre.

The implications of a billionaire stirring up hatred scot-free like this against a charity director working towards women's safety - a victim who she clearly views as a competitor to her own trans-exclusionary shelters - are horrific; the soft-and-neutral framing all of this is receiving across the media is unsurprising but repellent.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Handing your unknowing colleagues' contact details over to a blackmailer (even though you'd previously been interviewed by the police about blackmail attempts against MPs, and presumably had a contact there who you could have alerted at short notice) is a very funny act of rat-bastard cowardice and I think that's what deserves to be focused on here

grobbo
May 29, 2014

What's great is that we've arrived at a place where there's no longer any attempt to advocate for changes that might help combat, say, pickpocketing in London, it's just "Khann!!!!! This happened on your watch, Khannn!!!" with the implicit suggestion that the Mayor is deliberately bussing criminals into the city and letting them run riot like we're living in mob Chicago or something

grobbo
May 29, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Makes u think….

is...is he saying that the government manufactured COVID-19 to spitefully prevent us from enjoying some unseasonably nice April weather, or is he saying the government manufactured the unseasonably nice weather because it somehow helped the lockdown to go ahead?

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The Guardian coverage today feels deeply weird and insidious (no surprises at the Times, etc).

They did a huge splash yesterday sensibly nodding and applauding at the report, and then today has two counter-perspectives with clearly misleading and softened headlines: Dr Aiden Kelly criticises the report directly but the piece leads with the very neutral 'Trans children in England worse off now than four years ago, says psychologist', and then Freddy McConnell's column, which points out that TERF talking points are reflected in the review is advertised as "Hilary Cass’s proposals are mostly common sense".

I was expecting the usual gloating columnists, but the news coverage itself feels like a clear and predetermined party line.

Love and solidarity to trans folks who are affected by all this poo poo.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 11, 2024

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Random recommendation, as someone mentioned donating their old bike a few days back:

The Bike Project is a charity that fixes up second-hand bicycles and gifts them to asylum seekers (with lessons if needed) so they can actually get out of their accommodation without having to spend their weekly £49.18 on transport.

I think they have drop-off centres in London and Brum and a few other places, it's a good cause and an easy way of lending a hand / quietly undermining the hostile environment that I didn't ever consider until I heard about them.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
You know what the true scandal of 90s music is? Stuart Murdoch spending the past 30 years pretending he didn't actually know what an Arab Strap was.

It's right there in the lyrics, Stuart, it's fine.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

We need to study this pipeline where the most despised and laughable personalities in the UK can leg it to the USA and pretend to be a hot new commodity from across the channel with a voice that demands to be heard, because clearly America didn't figure it out after James Corden and Piers Morgan.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
*points at the game written by depressed Estonians grieving for the failed dream of communism*

libs

grobbo
May 29, 2014

I know HK repeats this schtick a lot but unfortunately it never stops making me laugh, good on him.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
HANDS OFF OUR (EMPEROR'S) CHILDREN, SLAANESH: Our shocking report on how Games Wokeshop has been corrupting Britons for the past 41 years with an impossibly sexy nonbinary dark god of sex, partying, and rock music

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The London Symphony Orchestra conductor managed to successfully drum up some headlines last week by making the claim that 'wokeism' is the reason people don't go to the opera any more

which I think is a good indicator of just how cynical, debased, childish, irrational and inane the reactionary movement is at this point

grobbo
May 29, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

This is the Chapter where the first company are all Space Native Americans and the second company are all Bikers (before they made two specific All Biker Space Marine Chapters.)
The Dark Angels lack a certain ammount of thematic cohesion is what I'll say.

Look, you people complain about 'a lack of thematic cohesion' and then when GW introduce Ferrus Manus, metal-handed leader of the Iron Hands' Iron Council, suddenly that's no good either?

grobbo
May 29, 2014

fuctifino posted:

https://archive.is/FmfmB

My archive.is trick doesn't work to get around the Times paywall anymore... but loving lol at all of this going on, and the establishment is all BUT LOOK AT ANGELA RAYNER....

e: There's a bit more of the story in this tweet
https://twitter.com/Otto_English/status/1780722361513247179

That sounds like a serious cocaine debt. Lol at the debt rising by £1500 in the time it took for him to settle the debt and be released.

this definitely deserves more attention, because according to Menzies' own sources, the reason he needed £5,000 in Tory donor money at 3.15am after a night of drinking and partying was that he was being "falsely" accused of being sick all over his host's flat and causing unspecified "other expenses" and they wouldn't let him leave until he settled it.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The midsentence treatment of LAZY BRITONS NOW EXPECT SOMETHING FOR NOTHING incidentally, vast sums of taxpayer money were embezzled and squandered during lockdown by politicians and business leaders is truly something to behold.

Also good to see the inevitable narrative aftermath of the We Must Welcome The Cass Review For Being Very Balanced and Fair To Both Sides media consensus is "as has now been proven by Cass, woke doctors were force-feminising thousands of toddlers until Glinner proved that trans is wrong"

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Mebh posted:

I am away from home for a weekend and seriously, does everyone in this God forsaken country just sleep under a quilt and nothing else?

I may be an autism but I need a sheet and various thin blankets so I can have cooler feet and warm shoulders and a variety of options. The idea of sleeping in a pool of sweat under a giant marshmallow is gahhhh!!!?

Does everyone else have a uniform perfect body temperature or something?

Autism also but I'm exactly the opposite. In all but the hottest of weather, I need me one big snuggly duvet that can be wrapped into an airtight cocoon up to my neck*, and any further additions are unnecessary added weight which risk disrupting my stability later on (e.g. if the extra blanket treacherously falls off the bed in the middle of the night and I get cold.)

I am horrified by hotels which think that "thin sheet tucked into the bed with a sort of unpleasant furry blanket on top' is an acceptable gloss on that.

Do you care nothing for cosiness, sirs and madams? Do you have no respect for the noble craft of being a toasty cinnamon bun?

*upon reflection, this is just swaddling, i am a giant baby who needs to be swaddled. I will embrace this.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 27, 2024

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Looking back, even ahead of the transphobic episode it's striking just how much of the IT Crowd was about feeling fear and shame that you might be perceived as a member of a Weird and Unacceptable Subculture, although I guess none of that was uncommon to comedy of the time.

At least it helped Benedict Wong on his way.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I've just read that Baby Reindeer, the acclaimed Netflix show about stalking, has resulted in fans tracking down and stalking the stalker who allegedly stalked creator Richard Gadd, and as a result she is now threatening to sue him for unfairly portraying her as a stalker (how can she prove the character is based on her? A news headline about a previous stalking conviction appears in the show which mirrors her own previous stalking convictions).

I have a lot of sympathy for everyone involved, and there are some genuinely thorny questions to be unpicked about the responsibilities of portrayal - but also it's starting to feel like the Peep Show bit where everyone tries to section each other.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder what a discworld take on social media would be like.

At least he never had to live to witness it.

Didn't Pterry actually spend a good bit of time on Oblivion message boards during his final years, getting help with mods so he could befriend the goblins? I feel like he got to see the nicer side of social media.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

smellmycheese posted:

Brexit got the pot boiling but my genuine belief is that Covid lockdowns caused a significant percentage of the population to completely lose their loving minds

Just finished my shift at the polling station, changing every slip by hand so that Richmond votes to join the Global Caliphate. The observers can see me doing it but they are afraid to speak up because of Cancel Culture

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just look at that and think Christ, bet that bloke never made it to the age of 50.

Looking at older photos of men who have half a decade on me but look like they're turning 60 is one of the few consolations of ageing in the 21st century, thank god for all these microplastics keeping me in mint condition

grobbo
May 29, 2014

keep punching joe posted:

Guy on the left was great in Spaced.

Michael Smiley is actually looking fantastic in his 60s, he's properly Charles Dancing

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Nice Metro op-ed from one of Fox's litigants earlier this week, incidentally: https://metro.co.uk/2024/04/30/laurence-fox-owes-90-000-this-im-going-spend-money-20745995/

quote:

Even though I know that peddling outrage clearly pays in some cases, I hope our victory shows that the cost-benefit ratio is changing.

Because despite Laurence Fox trending for at least two days, a screenshot posted over the weekend showed his monetised Twitter earnings amounted to just a couple of hundred quid a month.

At that rate, it will take over 30 years to cover his £180k damages order, and just a couple centuries more for the estimated seven-figure legal costs.

Speaking of money, I know you’re wondering what I’m going to do with the £90k. There were three original claimants in our case against Laurence Fox – myself, Simon Blake and Nicola Thorp – so we will be spitting the total £180k damages three ways despite only two of us being awarded them.

I will give the bulk of my sum to charity, focusing on issues I know are close to Laurence’s heart – trans rights, racial equity, refugee advocacy and Palestinian solidarity to name a few.

And I will save a bit for myself – I fancy a bidet with a fox head spout – so that Laurence’s money can wash my vindicated rear end.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Susan goes out bitter, bullshitting (there've been ~900 total recorded murders in London since 2016), and for some reason outing herself as not having watched The Wire.

quote:

Susan Hall said Sadiq Khan should stop “patronising” people who care about London.

Speaking at City Hall after the election results came in, she said: “I’d like to congratulate all my fellow mayoral candidates and congratulate Sadiq on his victory.

“Spending a year campaigning for this election has been an honour and a privilege. I have loved speaking to Londoners about the things that matter to them.

“The thing that matters the most, and to me, is reforming the Met and making London safe again. I hope Sadiq makes this his top priority.

“He owes it to the families of those thousands of people who have lost lives to knife crime under his mayoralty.

“And I hope too that he stops patronising people, like me, who care. This isn’t an episode of The Wire, this is real life on his watch.”

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Skarsnik posted:

BBC News - England cricketer Monty Panesar quits George Galloway's party
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68976806

lol bless him the dumb gently caress

Looks like he needs a good spin doctor
(More loudly)
I SAID, LOOKS LIKE HE NEEDS A GOOD SPIN DOCT-

grobbo
May 29, 2014

This feels a little calculated, Adrian. (The column is actually about getting a dribbly willy at a fashion shoot.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014
The Guardian's Garrick Club obsession continues today, with longstanding member and former editor of two national newspapers Simon Jenkins making the impassioned argument that private members' clubs aren't really a locus of power for the wealthy and well-connected, and it's actually a bit of an outdated conspiracy theory to suggest as much, and also, really, these clubs are much as the same as a trade union or the BMA if you think about it.

quote:

The reality is that institutions come in different shapes and sizes. Many professional associations – notably in medicine and the law – exert considerable power in Britain. They effectively “rule” their sectors of the public service, as the BMA, for example, dominates the medical profession. Private clubs sometimes do likewise. In the past great and even sinister power has been ascribed to France’s énarques (graduates of an elite university), America’s Ivy Leaguers and Britain’s Old Etonians. In each case it is not actual but perceived power that excites popular resentment.

The UK's progressive paper doing well for itself.