Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

InspectorCarbonara posted:

when’s the interview with The Unknown

The evil chocolate maker doesn't need to do interviews, Nestle can afford to just buy adverts instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Grey Hunter posted:

Maybe it will shake labor up and ha ha ha I can't finish that sentence.

With Labour on 7% and Tories on 12%, their take away from this will be that the Conservative policies are more popular.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's a dying government that's given up trying to achieve anything.

It's full on Republican-style projection. "Democracy is being targeted" from the party that penned totaly unncessary voting ID laws and spent 90% of their time in government stoking culture war issues.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

His Divine Shadow posted:

If I focus on a single example, take modern led lamps, studies show they cost on average around 1500€ to replace and last on average 15 years, that is 150€ per year if it lasts that long.
"Vimes' LED headlights" doesn't have quite the same ring to it, sadly

MeinPanzer posted:

Right, so that's about £2,300 of his £4,400 take home accounted for, leaving £2k for everything else. Computer, zoom in again.

Ah, there it is! No way we can buy, say, a used car instead of leasing! Lots of conspicuously unexplained gaps in these budgets where money just happens to disappear. Also, the commonly identified culprit? Those dang taxes being too high for us honest middle class earners!
The kicker? They bought a £400k house, an electric SUV that must be £40k, regularly take expensive vacations--and do that all with a huge dose of financial help from their parents.

The thing that immediately stood out to me here is that the guy is paying bare minimum into a pension and wants to pay less. The first advice people with this level of income get is to increase pension contributions where possible, as it's <=50p per £1 in your pocket now versus >= 80p towards retirement. With large enough contributions he could even be claiming child benefit for those two kids to offset the lower take-home figure, while paying substantially less of his gross income to tax.

However spunking between £1k and £2k on a car lease is obviously more important.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Mega Comrade posted:

I think the posts of "if I was on £70k" are forgetting he's the soul breadwinner of a family of 4.

That families have the choice of both parents working but child care costing THOUSANDS of £ a month or one partner just not working at all, is an issue facing people all different classes and incomes (well except the super rich).

To be honest that is my main problem with the article. There's several valid issues due to recent government policy/inaction that affect everyday people of all incomes, potentially including that first family:
  • Saving mortgage deposits, and mortgages being unrealistic for much of the country
  • Lack of emergency funds
  • Student 'loan' system
  • Costs of childcare
  • Tax traps; effective tax rates above 60% for some families

However the article skips past most of that. The writer obviously started with a premise that tax rates are too high and worked backwards finding examples to justify simplistic (and possibly vote-winning) tax cuts. I'm sure they could have found someone earning £74k who was still stuck renting unable to save up a house deposit, or a higher-earning single parent unable to both work & access child benefit.

But instead their opening example is this because the goal of the article isn't to highlight any of the root causes of problems in the country or make people's lives better, it's to divert attention away from policies that might.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Grey Hunter posted:

I don't think there is a conspiracy, but man does that look like an ai generated image randomly generating a head....

Hey, it's already taken them this long to get an image with the correct number of arms & fingers

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

quote:

The Princess of Wales has apologised "for any confusion" her Mother's Day photograph caused, after five picture agencies retracted the image over editing concerns.

Catherine, in a statement posted on Kensington Palace social media, said: "Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing."

She's just taking some time off to learn Photoshop

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

HidaO-Win posted:

Total Hypothetical: If Kate is dead and murdered by William and it gets found out, William is sent to prison. Charles dies. George becomes king, but he’s ten, so you have to put in a regent. Who is it?

Does it go to Harry or does it skip Harry and go to Andrew. These are the real questions we should be mulling over.

In the most hilarious timeline, Harry gets it and returns long enough to declare The Sun illegal and turn the UK into a republic.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

forkboy84 posted:

As much as I find this story painfully uninteresting

Weirdly this is the literally only time I've been remotely interested in anything the royals are doing. The longer this hilariously bungled PR attempt continues the less convinced I am that the truth is something mundane like "she wants privacy after operation".

If Kate is alive / conscious / cooperative they could easily have drawn a line under this weeks ago. Now each new headline or tweet has people guessing like it's the country's largest game of Cluedo.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

At least that would solve the obesity crisis (sarcasm for the avoidance of doubt!)

But what if we end up with obese worms?!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but I suspect that might be a photoshop

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
These royal photoshops are getting out of hand

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Marmaduke! posted:

Too many people caught up in living in a big city, if you just broadened your horizens you could live somewhere beautiful and affordable like...
https://www.onthemarket.com/new-homes/property/garboldisham/
(I jogged place this development last night, it's even worse seeing it in person)

I've never seen a list of UK places that looked more like it was generated by AI than this. It's so weird not recognising a single one.

quote:

Nearby Garboldisham

Kilverstone
Cranwich
North Tuddenham
Whinburgh
Carbrooke
Reymerston
Tanners Green
Swanton Morley
Little Hale
Clint Green

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The_Doctor posted:

If there was any justice left, Labour would view Jones’ leaving the party like a coal mine canary. But there’s no sense of self-awareness any more, and the slide more and more into the right continues.

It will just reassure them that the plan to become New Tories is working

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

dadrips posted:

Might turn me into history's greatest monster but I'm not feeling any particular sympathy for Kate. Yes, it's a pity that she's got cancer, but she's a born-to-rule toff that's married into the uppermost echelons of the British ruling class, meaning she'll be receiving the kind of medical care that her lowly subjects can only dream of. Thousands of folk in this very country suffer in far more dire circumstances on a daily basis with no recourse to the kind of care that she'll be receiving, personally I'll save my sympathy for them instead of a millionaire.

Something I'm curious on as I know we have a few medical-types who post here - for situations like this would the ultra-rich have a significantly better level of medical treatment than most people?

My assumption is that it comes down to two main factors. Firstly, anything would obviously be administered by the professionals with the most possible experience which may vary a lot compared to anyone using the NHS normally. But the main difference is that royals will have constant monitoring & checkups a level beyond most people, allowing conditions like this to be found much earlier (e.g. at stage 1/2 rather than stage 4). However there isn't a bunch of secret rich-people-only cancer drugs that they can just throw millions at, and generally speaking the treatment & outcomes for anything found late would be broadly the same as for the average person.
Is that accurate?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

MeinPanzer posted:

While the NHS is clearly being pushed to its limits, it's the norm in a public health care system to have to advocate a fair bit to get relatively minor but persistent issues addressed. Any functioning public service will need to be selective. But it's a very good thing that almost all people I know with a serious issue who have gotten past their GP praise the quality of the treatment they get and the speed with which they get it. I don't mean to be dismissive, but there's a certain amount of confirmation bias involved with some of these horror stories: for every one about something relatively unusual being missed for years you have dozens or hundreds of people going to the GP with minor aches and pains that ultimately prove to be nothing. If a GP ordered tests for every one of those the system would grind to a halt.

A big part of the problem here is that often it doesn't even get to the stage of GPs ordering tests. My wife has worked as a nurse in frontline A&E / walk-in departments for nearly all of her career, and one consistent issue has been people either unable to get GP appointments at all, or having to jump through so many hoops (like several hours sitting on hold in phone queues during working hours) that it's effectively the same. This situation varies heavily by GP practice; the one closest to me is quite well run and so far I've always been able to get appointments relatively quickly. However the previous practice I was registered with has an atrocious reputation for forcing patients to the nearest hospital instead.

The end result is the system still grinds to a halt because the emergency departments are the ones needing to triage & test hundreds of people that (mostly) prove to have nothing serious, and waiting times shoot up.

I realise of course this is all working as intended.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

fuctifino posted:

Keir Mather is now a loving Labour whip

I thought whips were meant to be bullies with the power to threaten and intimidate?....
This is his final level, he has evolved to be the Ultimate Prefect

Trying posted:

guess its time to pay the piper

:discourse:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

smellmycheese posted:

Proper British Easter

They must have been some real big bunnies

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Microplastics posted:

This is extremely not true, where'd you get this from? Even some of the most rabid tory voters want the NHS free at the point of use (I appreciate there's a distinction between that and selling it off but very few people - tory voters included - want to see private hospitals and private ambulances)

Since when has what UK voters want had any bearing on what our governments actually do?

Also you might want to look up the Ridley Plan.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

With Labour being such a massive non-entity and climate increasingly on the news agenda, how come Greens are still polling so low?

Obviously I don't expect them to be competing for government or even realistically getting into a coalition, but 8% still seems incredibly low when their natural rivals are going out of their way to promise absolutely nothing.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

fuctifino posted:

Love and solidarity to everyone affected by this bullshit culture war, and yeah, another call for a threadban for '99. There's no excusing last night's posts, nor the timing of them.

Another :emptyquote:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

frytechnician posted:

I am so tired of culture wars. So very, very tired. I never want to hear the word "woke" ever again and I want all the people who try and profit from whining over anything uncontroversial to be tossed into the oubliette immediately.

In the grim darkness of the near future there is only culture war.

SpaceCommie posted:

I really need to get on and build my Anteefa ork army.

It's been about 25 years, we need some proper Gretchin Revolutionary Committee models again instead of those Christmas gimmicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

TACD posted:

Yeah this is part of why I never fully got into running a media server. I just download a film and double-click it in Explorer 🤷🏻

For years I've had a FreeNAS / Kodi setup that's been pretty solid, I just drop files on it and they play.

That was until last week when the TV app automatically updated and broke the database, and I had to spend almost two hours of my weekend digging through obscure SQL server documentation. :yaycloud: