Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier, crispix)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
I somewhat feel sorry for Rochdale, he will be a poo poo MP for them. But it's very funny seeing this happen to Labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

Centrist tears

They are right

Tesseraction posted:

I like how Keith apologised for not putting up a decent candidate when Galloway of all people won and his platform was "gently caress Israel" same as what got Ali cancelled.

gently caress Israel is a bit different to "Israel false flagged to invade Gaza". While it's not something I'd put past Galloway to claim, I don't believe he has yet.

If Ali hadn't made those claims he'd probably have walked it, even with the wider labour party not giving a poo poo about Palestinian lives.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 1, 2024

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

It's time for this thread's favourite kind of journalism: the "help, we make £80k a year but we're poor" article: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/04/middle-class-workers-mortgages-bills-tax.

Hmm, computer, enhance.

Right, so that's about £2,300 of his £4,400 take home accounted for, leaving £2k for everything else. Computer, zoom in again.

With a student loan type 2 his take home would be £4000. But he also mentions having a pension so would be less than that again.

MeinPanzer posted:

The kicker? They bought a £400k house, an electric SUV that must be £40k, regularly take expensive vacations--and do that all with a huge dose of financial help from their parents. Meanwhile my wife and I are doing just fine living in a house that costs less than half that amount, driving a used car that cost £4k, and taking modest vacations.

Cool where do you live? Cos £200k would net me a shed where I live. My mortgage DOUBLED this year, and even in the midlands where prices are lower I do feel for people being caught off guard after a decade of low interest.

As for the leased car, yeah I wouldn't get one but it's a dumb decision they are now locked into and a LOT of the pre-owned car market is fueled by those lease cars, so if those chumps didn't exist the 2nd hand market would get substantially pricier.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I think the posts of "if I was on £70k" are forgetting he's the soul breadwinner of a family of 4.

That families have the choice of both parents working but child care costing THOUSANDS of £ a month or one partner just not working at all, is an issue facing people all different classes and incomes (well except the super rich).

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Paul.Power posted:

There's like eight Waitroses in the entirety of Wales, and the only one west of Cowbridge is on Anglesey.

How did Cowbridge become so posh? It was dirt poor when my mum grew up there.

Her whole family still live there, my cousins are going to get a windfall when they can finally sell the houses of my uncles and Aunts.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jakabite posted:

The UK has the best nightlife culture of anywhere in the world, and the only people I know who disagree with that (including people not from the UK) don’t actually like going on nights out very much.

You should travel more friend.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68526972

It's okay everyone, she's alive

Sureeee.

The UKs obsession over this is so loving creepy.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's a take that got them trending so it's working as intended.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Seems pretty clear to me it's just a women recovering from surgery who wants a little privacy while she heals. But no , country has to go all frothy mouthed about it.

Kin posted:

Yeah I saw this yesterday. Initially thought it was silly

Should have quit while your were ahead

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

As much as I find this story painfully uninteresting, she married into this poo poo after growing up in this country, knowing full well what that entails. It's like joining the circus only to complain that there's some clowns around.

In a country utterly obsessed with celebrity, the Windsors are the biggest celebs we have. Again, my eyes glaze over at this poo poo & I'm dying for the thread to find something new to obsess over (or even old. Favourite Monster Munch flavour anyone? I say they are all rubbish), but the Windsors signed an unwritten pact with the media in which they get to rake in loads of taxpayers money & live in cushy buildings built by taxpayer money on estates that are a grotesque holdover of feudalism & really should be appropriated into public ownership and in exchange the papers get to fill their pages with this shite. We're not talking about Denise from number 34, this poo poo is part of the job. If she doesn't like it I'm sure William can step out of the line of succession & they can move to Chipping Norton to live around other well-to-do psychos in relative quiet.

Do you feel the same about all celebrities or just the Royals?

As much as I detest the institution, they are just celebrities at the end of the day, just with more pomp. And if it was some actress being hounded while recovering id feel sympathy for them so feel I should give it here too.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I question your use of "quality".

It's incredibly loving stupid but atleast it's "news" that has no consequences I guess.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

notaspy posted:

Here is a good reason to care (if she is alive):

There is currently a woman being held against her will by the state and no-one is willing or able to investigate this. At best she is being coerced into going along with her imprisonment.

If this can happen to someone so public how on earth can we say this country is safe for women?

Would you be interested in buying a bridge?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Nice username post combo

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

The kids are always off-limits outside of agreed photo ops. Them "missing" is in people's heads.

I'm gonna stock up on some tinfoil for my baking, I feel we might have a shortage coming on.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Super injunctions only effect UK press.
So if there was anything in place it wouldn't stop CNN etc covering it.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I like the folk sitting round the bench who don't even turn and look when the Prince and Princess of Wales casually stroll past a few feet away.

I don't give a poo poo about the royals but if I was one of the first people to see Kate in public after almost 4 months I'd certainly turn and have a look.

Honestly if it wasn't for this thread I wouldn't know she was "missing"

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Well he's not wrong, she was visionary. Her vision was to just gently caress over the working class.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I just objected to a local building application for 250 homes. I'm officially a nimby :okboomer:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

Why are you objecting to them?

250 more homes.
No new shops.
No changes to public transport routes which already suck.
No changes to the main road and it's got one entrance.
Already takes about 3 weeks to see the GP round here.

To complete it off, it's on a greenfield site that's home to an abundance of wildlife.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

I mean sure, but developers really should have a legal responsibility to upgrade infrastructure when building a sizeable number of new houses. Subsidise bus services for X years, fund improvements to sewers and power infrastructure, bare minimum stuff, and then ideally over a certain size there should be a pharmacy, shop, a GP surgery, at some point a primary school. Not to mention a much higher proportion of actually affordable property.

Exactly.

I get the impulse to laugh at me, it's why I posted it. I see the irony in me moaning about new builds now I'm in a village. But a lot of builds have no thought behind them and are just an exercise in he government hitting targets.

There's even a much better suited brownfield site the other side of town, has already better access to the road and an existed through road, but it would only be suitable for 170 houses and apparently the owner wants more for it, so less profit to be made.

They are promising 40% will be affordable housing, but apparently they promised similar numbers for their last project and only delivered 12% but nothing seemingly was done about it and here they are with a new contract a and the same promise.

Rarity posted:

Anyway, it takes ages to build 250 homes so that's plenty of time to get some extra shops and buses sorted

There has been plenty of time to improve services for the last 13 years and yet....

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Mar 21, 2024

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

When I lived in Liverpool, there was 2 whole streets of empty houses near me.
I'm sure with levelling up they are all filled with happy families now though!

Jokes aside. I wonder how much of the housing crisis could just be solved with an actual push to improve services and jobs in the north.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

It's not just a numbers game though is it? A lack of housing has significant real world impacts for people.

This Sky News piece is a bit of a shill for the rental market but a good representation of what struggle for housing looks like for a lot of people.

https://youtu.be/f_iq7B0trZQ?si=Ybi9WyR6thYejC_R

They do, but most new builds seem to intentionally reneg on their promises for affordable housing and include zero council housing. 250 houses all prices at £400k plus isn't going help the people who desperately need a home.

quote:

Also if you buy a house on the edge of a village or town with a few services and it's not in an AONB or Green Belt or National Park then you should be aware that there's a decent likelihood someone might be building houses around you.

Funnily enough this site was within an awe zone before and deemed not fit. Then it was decided it was fine actually. How something like that happens I'm not sure.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

mfcrocker posted:

He's like the world's shittest weathervane, who eventually points in the right direction but about 5 years too late

e: also worth noting he says nothing about the party's horrific transphobia issues (which it admittedly had during the Corbyn era, but have gotten so much worse since)

Yes he does

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jun/30/lgbtq-labour-thatcher-section-28

https://www.gaytimes.co.uk/life/owen-jones-there-are-examples-of-transphobia-from-the-top-to-the-bottom-of-the-labour-party/

Owen Jones main fault is being naieve that Labour can return to the left any time soon. Which he's now finally realised won't happen.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 21, 2024

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

fuctifino posted:

This the entirety of rental properties listed on Rightmove in a county with a registered population of 570,300 people.

There are currently more than 800 families living in emergency B&B accommodation in Cornwall

I'm of the opinion that the argument "But landlords might profit!" is not a valid excuse to deny anybody housing. Of course we need housing reform and greater protections for tenants, but we also desperately need homes for rent. We also need greater investment in infrastructure, as transport networks, schools, surgeries and other public amenities become saturated due to new builds, but that's also a separate parallel battle.

There 13000 second homes in Cornwall.
So there is an easy fix for this...

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I used to always think of terraced housing in cities as cramped because the ones I saw in reading always were. Visited my friend who has one in Bristol. Things massive, 3 floors, all the rooms large doubles, 3 toilets.

Actual thick walls to so can barely hear the neighbours. Huge difference in quality.
My guess would be the era they were built in, Readings are much younger.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

If you go through mice or keyboards every few years you are buying the wrong brands.

Angrymog posted:

Question - our workplace started enforcing two days a week in the office, and I gave it an honest go, including doing everything I could to make it stress free for me - picking the quiet days, picking the quiet desks, having someone else put the horse out so I don't have to worry about being dragged through the mud before I go in, etc.

I started to get massively anxious about going in, then fortunately got sick, so I haven't been in for a couple of weeks, which has been much better for my mental health.

I told my line manager that I was happy to come in for special days or if there's a genuine operational need, but not just for the sake of it.

They're now telling me that regular days in the office are part of the contract (which is true).

Do I have a leg to stand on? Is it worth trying to get a note from my GP or contract my union?

If you have been there more than 2 years and can get a GP to sign off on the anxiety then maybe.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

happyhippy posted:

It's the perfect week for the media to do their job of distracting the peons.
Instead of the news showing polls of the impending Tory collapse, and the country soon after, its all about football (HOW DARE THEY!), royals (in an awww way and not what did they do now way), and flag shagging (HOW DARE TEHY ARE FLEG!).
Just need a WW2 reference for the gammon bingo.

Distract? The British public eat that poo poo up and want more. Even this thread was lapping it up.

The public doesn't give a poo poo about politics.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

Honestly it's really hard to say what the "right" amount is but you do definitely sometimes need to make a pain in the arse of yourself and be your own advocate.

I had about 3 years of loving about with a wrist injury I *knew* needed some kind of surgery or something. Nobody would listen to me. Got seen by a bunch of doctors and bounced around to occupational health who immediately said they couldn't do anything for me. Had docs recommending accupuncture and all kinds of poo poo.

Ultimately went to see a private wrist surgeon who told me how to book to see him directly on the NHS, where he referred me for an MRI, and wouldn't you know it, clear as day on the MRI was a ganglion cyst on a tendon that was pressing on a nerve, and I got surgery and it was fixed.

So I would say that if something is actually affecting your life, then yeah keep going until somebody takes you seriously. Go private if you have the means - even for just an initial consultation, as you may be able to then work the system like I did and still get most of the stuff done on the NHS.

On the flip side of that, my friend who is a physiotherapist has constant patient stories about those who insist that surgery will be the answer to all their problems and barely engage with any other treatments.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I've got WFH in my contract, much to the dismay of my company who are now changing back to hybrid under it's new owners.

So far it's just been polite hint droping that they would like to see me in more.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

:eyepop:

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Jel Shaker posted:

i did chuckle when i saw this but most of the North Korean “news” is nonsense that isn’t actually true because you get $$$ as a defector if you make up the most sensational stuff, so i sadly doubt this is real

The broadcast is real. It's easy for anyone near the boarder to pick it up. So if you have another theory on why they blurred his pants out?

Too sexy maybe

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Yeah, I can easily imagine DPRK TV stealing wildlife docs and poo poo because it's politically safe and you can't expect people to be willing to watch propaganda all the time. So you show Blue Planet and they might keep the telly on after for the news

I wonder if they edit out the newer seasons climate change stuff like our government tried to get the BBC to do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/mar/28/fresh-crisis-for-thames-water-as-investors-pull-plug-on-500m-of-funding

In the hands of a good government this would be a chance to take over ownership without much resistance and show a state control utility works better.

Under Starmers Labour what will probably happen it's we take it on, fix it up and then sell it back at a massive loss.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Sad Panda posted:

because of course £1100 for a chair is nonsense and it was not that comfortable.

What was the chair out of curiosity.

Spending a lot of money on your office chair is actually good advice if you spend a lot of time in it. High quality office chairs cost £800+ but usually come with insanely good decade long guarantees and will easily last double that if cared for.

However if you are patient you can often find them second hand or refurbished from outlet stores for £300-400, sometimes even less from marketplaces from people who are selling off the chair work gave them not realising what it is.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 1, 2024

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Pistol_Pete posted:

I get the concept that some chairs are nicer than others but I'm struggling to see how a £1000 office chair can (presumably) be 10 times nicer than a £100 office chair. We've had chair technology for millennia, what does the posh chair 'do' that makes it worth £1000?

The main thing being designed to last. A Hermon miller will last easily a decade, it's why they are comfortable slapping a 12 year all parts guarantee on it. They are designed to be used for 8 hours a day+ and still be comfortable to sit in.

I went through 3 chairs in 8 years each between £150-£350 a pop before I got my current hermin miller one, sitting on extra cussions because the padding had gone flat, arm adjustments breaking, crap back support etc and I got sick of it. Being a software engineer I spend more time in an office chair than I do my bed, so it makes sense to me my chair should be even more important that it's ergonomic and supportive of my body.

My wife has a £250 IKEA chair. It gets a fraction of the use of mine, is a year younger and is already starting to show it's age.

We have a dedicated office chair thread if anyone wants buying advice
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 1, 2024

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

IKEA (like all its range) is a crapshoot. Some ranges are excellent, others suck.

If it's the Markus you have, for the price it hits above it's weight and would be my recommendation for someone who wants a new but cheap chair for normal home use, but for me the padding went flat and became uncomfortable within 2 years, my dad now has it with some cushions. As I said though I'm an extreme case, I WFH and am an avid pc gamer and photographer, so I can be in the chair for 10 hours a day easily.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

DreddyMatt posted:

but if not then it's worth taking a look at reyooz, they specialise in used office goods and often have crazy expensive chairs for a couple of hundo

https://www.reyooz.com/shop

Yeah reyooz is great. £650 steelcase for £50.
You have to be patient with these sites though, stock goes as quickly as it comes in, you can be waiting weeks for the chair you want to come in.

My recommendation is to slap your height and weight and preferences (mesh, headrest) into the dedicated thread to get a shortlist, try them out if you can, John Lewis have some on display sometimes. Then regularly check the 2nd hand outlet sites for your choice.

It's more effort and will take longer but you will save a lot but the idea of these chairs is you buy it for life so patience pays off.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 1, 2024

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

sebzilla posted:

I work on an old machinist chair, it's probably not the most ergonomic but it looks pretty rad

Like this one but less hosed up

If I see someone swivel towards me in one of those chairs I'd assume I'm taped to a table and about to be horrible murdered.

Changing the topic off looking after your arse.
What's actually going on with this hates speech Scottish law?

Is there actually legitimate concerns about free speech or is it just the usual suspects concerned they might not be able to harass people anymore without consequences?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 1, 2024

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Well I mean you look at the article on the BBC news & the first line is "Scotland's new hate crime law has come into force, with JK Rowling and Elon Musk among its critics." and you kind of have your answer I assume. It's a bit of that & a bit of Unionist rage at the Scottish Parliament having the audacity to do things.

Even a racist clock can be right twice a day though. They could not like a flawed law for the wrong reasons.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I mean the British Raj didn't have a right to exist either, nor did Britain as an empire generally, nor necessarily does the UK at the moment depending on who you ask (it's me i don't think the state is legitimate) And in all those cases the solution is a fundamental reconstruction (or abolition) of the nature of the state and probably changes to territorial control.

I don't think it's an enormously surprising left wing position to say that states are often bad ideas and don't have an intrinsic right to exist, and people probably don't mean that the alternative should be scouring all life off the face of the landmass. Giant asteroid 2024 excepting.

The discussion wasn't if states as a thing should exist though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Ahhh the magic money tree. The Tories really loved that expression, I kinda miss it.

On the subject of NHS I'm contemplating going private, been waiting 8 months now for 2 referrals.