Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

mostly hype for more sound euphonium and yuru camp, but i bet some of the new shows with cool pvs hit also. anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arist posted:

pretty sure this chart contains zero Kiritos

i also assumed one was kirito and this is the funniest answer

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

alright so the first ep of Train to the End of World is some extremely bizarre poo poo and is way too on-the-nose with le 7G bad but you know what, i love extremely bizarre poo poo so it's got my attention for the rest of the season

train show opening with pushing the 7g button turning japan into abstract art then cutting to a sun bear talking with a capybara is so insanely my type of vibe i was pretty much in at that point. very promising start.

also lol at i can't go with you because reasons

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i also know little about og spice and wolf. i thought the setup was fine - there are much worse plothooks for your fantasy than the tension between paganism and christianity and hanging out with a pagan god, and i was feeling the lower-key vibe of everything on top of that. seems like it'll be fun to tour the countryside with that duo.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Nate RFB posted:

It's a very lowkey story in general that basically lives and dies with the duo trading barbs and developing their relationship, with most drama arising from them reckoning with with how different their lives are going to play out between a normal human and an immortal wolf god.

sick, that's what i liked about the first ep

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

kind of want to throw on the first ep of the original and see what i think

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i love the painterly backgrounds in the screenshots of old spice and wolf you're posting

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

like this is the difference between an 8/10 and a 7/10 its just the 7/10 is embodying all the most annoying parts of modern 7/10s compared to old 8/10s. imo.

i def felt like the first ep of the new one was a watchable 7 with a nice hook/vibe to make me want more so i see this argument

i think it'd be really interesting to watch the two and compare them as the new one airs so i think i'm going to do that

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

watched the first ep of og spice and wolf while eating dinner

the writing in the old first ep is more natural. the new one has a habit of feeling like unnatural exposition dumping when talking about events while the old one assumes you're smart enough to figure things out via context. this really shines through in scenes like where craft gets shown the silver, or the flashback with yarei vs the conversation with chloe.

style-wise it's a little like comparing apples to oranges - the old one definitely goes off model some but has some neat stylistic choices that the new one eschews in favor of being more straightforward. they painted this really sick giant wolf wicker man adorned with flowers in the background of the festival in the old first ep. in the new one it just turns into like, a small cg wicker wolf decoration fluttering in the breeze and a throwaway shot of a floral arch. the former was striking, the latter really isn't.

i don't think this is a nostalgia thing. i don't have nostalgia for the original, and i think they trade blows on art style, but the setup in the old show was absolutely more engaging and better written. it's really interesting because it's such a minor difference, they are so close shot for shot, but i was more enchanted by the old first ep.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 3, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Arc Hammer posted:

I may try this train show. It's not the Shinkalion Mecha Train show, right? The other one?

train to the end of the world

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I do think 2024 does solid work with the "Holo under the moonlight" scenes.

this is the scene where I think the new show compares most favorably to the old one - it does a pretty good job of getting across the gravitas of being around a wolf god. the other holo scenes have a ton more personality in the old show.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the bartender using his godlike sherlock holmes powers of perception to make the perfect refreshing highball while uplifting music plays was very funny. also liked the banter between the two women in the office and their boss. kind of curious if it keeps focus on the hotel cardinal crew or turns into something episodic with a focus on patrons.

seems fun, looking forward to more.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

sb hermit posted:

Also, the movie is not required for S3 because it takes place after the characters graduate high school and are in the middle of starting their careers.

EDIT: what a snipe!

actually watched the movie today cause i didn't know this. it's still fun though.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

sb hermit posted:

such a good movie

parts of it are kind of goofy (lol at the rocky 4 robot) but i really like the time skip and what they did with it. felt like yuru camp but also unique.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Pan Dulce posted:

I stopped the angel show too. It was just the same old, same old. Was the spoiler about naked spear fishing pertaining to Salad for Eccentrics?

angel show i gave a few minutes but i hated the style and then got to the like milk spill undressing scene and decided i had better things to do with my time

i watched the first ep of salad and yeah the princess's guard woman gets reverse isekai'd also and everyone freaks out because she's covered in blood so she takes a bath and then spearfishes up some food. it's a dumb bit but when it's juxtaposed with the princess being a precocious 13 year old who moves in with private detective guy and gets really into detective conan it feels like it could get more gross and i'm kind of eh on it. the rest of it was charming and energetic, so that bums me out.

also watched some other stuff:

yuru camp: the backgrounds do look worse, which is a bummer because yuru camp's backgrounds really did a lot of selling the awe-inspiring feeling of nature. but the vibes are still there, and i don't think i've seen any part of a show or movie that does as good of a job at capturing the yearning solitude of being outdoors as yuru camp's quiet moments. rin's grandpa is the coolest anime character.

wind breaker: this is 100% what i want from my dumb delinquent show. the vibe and characters were really fun (if not particularly original), and that fight scene was sick. also want to mention the sketchy dream sequence at the beginning was a really neat style choice also. big surprise for me cause i was eh on the pvs, loved this.

a condition of love: seems like inoffensive shoujo but i wasn't really feeling the style or how it was written at all.

highspeed etoile: insanely weird first ep. there's a little exposition dump and hologram idol concert at the beginning, then the entire rest of the episode is a tv broadcast of this near future f1/prototype racing series played incredibly straight. like, 15 minutes of this guy pits now, this person crashed, they hit their boost at the right time, they hit the apex. straight up watching anime IMSA with tron lightcycle beams for 15 minutes. it's all cg and the racing stuff looks...fine, the cars have some heft and sense of speed but they are avoiding showing crashes or turns much as that breaks the illusion.

right at the end they set up that the actual protagonist for the show is a ballerina they recruited to start racing and the next episode is another race at a new track. i do not know what the stakes or plot of the show are currently past some vague insinuations.

i have zero idea what to make of this yet but i'll be watching more just because the juxtaposition of the characters kind of feeling like an idol show and dedicating most of the episode to an insanely dry racing broadcast is so strange that i want to see where they go from here.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 5, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

these subs don't seem MTL. skill issue

the one set of english subs i see on my completely legal free site of choice explicitly say they're mtl

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

.porsupuesto, my favorite tld

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SatoshiMiwa posted:

High Speed Etoile very much feels like it's trying to sell it's self as Umamusume but for racing

ahhh okay i have heard of uma musume but i've never watched anything from it. does it get really in the weeds on horse racing the way that etoile does with its weird near future prototype racing?

like i 100% did not expect how etoile just ended up feeling like a racing tv broadcast for 80% of its runtime.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Yeah, the races are in depth in Umamusume and it has a weird setting that the show plays up., It's just Umamusume is horse racing which means the races are short and the show (especially season 2) has actual creative staff so the races have style and drama and feel exciting unlike what ever Etoile's race was

it's so loving weird that, if it's a show about setting up this property to be a big gacha thing or multimedia franchise or whatever, their introduction to the world is going this direction and not like, following ballerina girl around and introducing her and the core racer group and then having an actual race be in an episode or two when some stakes are established.

i feel like i got what they were going for - like i said, it's like you're watching an anime try to do a wipeout or extreme g version of the 12 hours of sebring or super gt or some poo poo - but it's edited down to 15 minutes and it's an insanely dry version of that with zero stakes. like, why do i care that third place guy, who doesn't even have a face, is trying to lightcycle boost past max verstappen king guy and second place queen lady? i've watched the real version of this kind of racing and i'm baffled by the approach.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

this also happens on crunchyroll all the time

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

the perfectly legal free sites have functional subs for jellyfish. weird!

girls band cry: this was fun. classic rural girl goes to the city plot. the failed songwriter with the jazzmaster is a lot of fun and the cg is pretty stylish. i didn't think it was amazing but i'm in for more.

meanwhile

jellyfish can't swim in the night: there's a lot of directorial flourish here, they do really cool poo poo like using the train as a metaphor for the lead's aimlessness and crazy time jumps/rewinds that are really cool. i wasn't into the rest of it - they're trying to set up this renegade artist collective with the main girl teaming up with the failed idol and also having some kind of commentary on how everyone's trying to be big online or have a social media side hustle now and how that affects the people making art. neat concept, the execution didn't land for me at all. on top of they do some sketch, leering stuff with the main character like undressing scenes, cleavage shots, and bath scenes that were definitely gross.

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 6, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

i solve many of my life's problems with jagerbombs

the last time i had jagerbombs they created more problems than they solved

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

skill issue

no arguments here tbh

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Tales of Woe posted:

tonari no youkai-san seems very good

the juxtaposition between the yokai interacting with the small town and setting up the mystery with the void was really interesting, i was kind of vibing with it then the contrast sucked me in. this seems really cool.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Big Leg posted:

i really like the bureaucracy around being a yokai, it's like some combination of going to the dmv and signing up for classes at community college

yeah, i also noticed that. really made the world feel lived-in.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

why are you passing on train and girls band

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

psh, my water combat score's higher than d. scrub.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i watched our promise but didn't see the ensemble contest one. wasn't on crunchy and googling sound euphonium watch order didn't mention it, so i was confused when kumiko came in as head of the club and this seemed established already

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

watched voice actor radio and mysterious disappearances, agree with what people have said so far. va radio's got a fun energy to it but looks kind of eh and i wasn't feeling the writing. mysterious disappearances is alright - pointlessly pervy but sets up kind of a cool mystery with hunting down crazy artifacts and the magic poems. idk if i will continue either.

i got about halfway into the second ep of new spice and wolf while talking with a friend about it and i realized i wasn't vibing with it so i think i'm dropping it.

the only shows i'm pretty sure i'll keep watching are dungeon meshi continuing, the new yuru camp and sound euphonium seasons, wind breaker, and train to the end of the world. i'll keep checking out girls band cry, tonari no yokai san, and bartender for now and see how i feel about them. throwing on viral hit later.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

how could you...

vibes do not lie

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

lol

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Julias posted:

Tadaima, Okaeri
Studio Deen | Shinji Ishihira ; Juria Matsumura | Yoshiko Nakamura | Drama, Romance, Slice of Life | Manga | Apr 9, 2024
Masaki Fujiyoshi is a stay-at-home spouse and parent. He has fought long and hard with feelings of being a burden to his loving husband, Hiromu, due to his status as an omega—a secondary gender, allowing one to give birth regardless of if they are male or female— and the difficulty they faced to achieve this domesticity. When their son, Hikari, was born, the family moved to an area better suited for raising children. Hikari is now nearing his second birthday, and he and his parents are forging meaningful bonds with those around them. These include the beta college student living next door, Yuuki, to whom Hikari has become rather attached; Hiromu's friend from work Matsuo; and the mysterious single dad seen wandering around the park. Despite their newfound domestic bliss, the family's ties to their past are in tatters. There are people they left behind to pursue the creation of their happy family, and when they begin to return, Masaki and Hiromu aren't quite sure they have good intentions.
PV

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

symbolic posted:

beta thought process

lol

i just watched the first ep of viral hit and i think of all the stuff i've watched this season it's stuck in my brain the most, but idk if i'm going to stick with it

it's about an outcast kid who accidentally livestreams a fight with one of his tormentors and it gets millions of views, so they team up to start a youtube channel about fighting bullies. it's all grotesque facial expressions and shockingly grounded street fights. there's curb stomping, hair pulling, a guy swings a pot at another guy's head. viral hit is incredibly visceral in a way anime often isn't.

honestly i found it kind of miserable, i'm not sure i want to engage with this world at all, but it's definitely interesting. sort of curious what people thought about the manhwa.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

GateOfD posted:

The first episode matched it pretty well, everything was pretty much frame for frame. And yea its one of the more grounded ones. The author's other works involve korean school fighting as well, but throw in supernatural stuff like body swapping and ect. But this one is just regular. Its a bit interesting cause its like, yea the main character gets bullied. But he's not a good guy either. He's willing to take advantage of people he has a leg on as anyone else that torments him.

yeah that's the info i need to be pretty certain this isn't my thing

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

haypliss posted:

You can blame Supernatural.

i blame the 1967 chevy impala for most of my problems

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i just watched the second ep of jellyfish (much better than the first) and i need to know where i can get a copy of "composing made easy for gyaru: ultimate edition"

Southern Cassowary fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 15, 2024

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i'm in the process of catching up on stuff i missed this weekend and i watched the first ep of whisper me a love song, which owns. there's a deftness to the writing that's laudable - they bounce back and forth between the two protagonists' viewpoints effectively, and they naturally handle the way all the different friend groups interact and tangle together. the end result is you walk in on two girls starting to crush on each other and their friends equal parts roasting and supporting their feelings in a way that feels real and is very fun.

there was this throwaway moment, late in the ep, where the two leads meet up on the roof. they start out talking about a teacher who goes on rants for forever, and the older girl is just like "yeah, he goes off on tangents like that." it was such a little throwaway thing, but it stuck in my mind, because that's how conversations usually start in situations where you're hanging with someone new. i think i had the x teacher does weird poo poo convo a million times, and they captured that feeling here. a lot of romance shows can feel contrived in a way that this show's first ep really didn't, and so far (still need to watch a few other things) i think this is my surprise standout first ep of the season.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Pan Dulce posted:

Go! Go! Loser Ranger is so good!! I never thought I'd feel sorry for the putties from Power Rangers. But these Rangers are assholes. I legit felt sad about the ending of the most recent episode.

i watched the first ep of this last night and was into it. it has a fun style and the whole setup with the rangers having some kind of contrived stadium show with the dusters after a ceasefire is fascinating. the extended bit where the dusters are trying to come up with a new enemy concept in a board room meeting was really great.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

man this season is loving stacked

there's like 13 shows that i want to keep watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Mizushima said episode 4 is when the real weird stuff and boy was he right!

i enjoy references to baphomet and being gulliver's travels strapped to a tiny helicopter