Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Maybe the wrong thread but is anyone aware of shorter length grappling shorts? I'd like something not branded all over. Only thing in could find was the hyabusa hexagon mid thigh shorts. I'd like something a little shorter and the fabric looked weird to me but I like hyabusa's quality. I have been abusing a pair of their spats for a long time now and they've held up really well.

I'm a skinny dude and I always feel like I'm swimming in my shorts. I get tangled up in them sometimes. I'm not yet ready to be spats or compression shorts only bro showing off my mooseknuckle like some kinda pre-roll distraction ritual.

I have some ranger panties and I wear Officer Dangle level shorts when I run but I figure they'd be unsafe/inappropriate on the mats. Are there any shorty grappling shorts out there that aren't just compression shorts or oversized leftover board shorts with iron on decals all over them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I definitely wear full spats and wear them under my GI even. Was looking for something to toss over my spats. I was concerned I'd tear up cross country shorts and other workout britches scooting and rolling about but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Cyber Sandwich posted:

Lube the floor with your sweat.

Way ahead of you. Kinda like the title of the GBS budk thread but with cotton and Lycra instead of denim.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

butros posted:

I'm a long-sleeve rashguard with shorts kinda guy in nogi. In yesgi if it's hot I go short sleeve, if it's cold I go long sleeve. As a general rule.

Also it really pains me to say so but my favorite grappling shorts are a pair of fitted Shoyorolls that are basically slightly longer, slightly looser vale tudo shorts. I hate baggy board shorts and am not comfortable with having my junk protrude in vt's and so they really are a miracle and I will probably try to get more pairs.

link to shorts, pleeeeaase!

Vashro posted:

do you guys wear a cup? only had one or two minor knee nuts incidents in 5yrs but Id consider it. we have one guy who does and Im always reminded if he gets my back and that thing is jabbing into my spine

no cup here. mouth guard, though. priorities.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

ihop posted:

I feel like since coming back from covid I've been playing catchup with the year's-worth of colds and weird skin rashes I missed. Since coming back I think I'm missing close to 50% of my practices due to illness.

same same but different: my first class back after a year and i blew my finger out. tore a bunch of ligaments and such. still going to class but the rolling is very controlled.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Wangsbig posted:

the best part about combat sports is sometimes getting to legally gently caress up cops

This is a big and strange perk for me where I train. We have a couple cops there and initially it's weird but then the catharsis hits.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

gay for gacha posted:

I have ring worm.

Condolences... I keep waiting for this to happen to me. That or some cellulitis or other gnarly skin thing but so far so good.

EDIT - rank review tomorrow night! i'm excited to learn from different folks and roll with other students that i never get to see. i doubt i'll get a stripe on my pleb tier white belt given the weirdness of training for 6mo, then covid, now two months but i'm going for the continued education instead of a level up.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Waroduce posted:

one of my friends is thinking about starting BJJ (not in my city) and he wants to know about starting. do we have a thread recommended video for "beginners bjj" butterflys or what to know? idk.

I don't wanna just be like, lol it loving sucks for a while and eventually you'll love it.

I like the bjj university book as well.

BJJ Fanatics has a decent babby's first Jiujutsu video here:

https://bjjfanatics.com/collections/for-beginners/products/introduction-to-bjj-by-bernardo-faria

Bernardo's fundamentals of bjj video is also really good. The site is kinda lame though. Lots of scripts loaded, mostly marketing trackers I think, and they'll spam you plenty after you make a purchase. The content is worth it for me.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

L0cke17 posted:

Definitely go to a doctor.

this. nobody likes mrsa.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Jerome Louis posted:

Got double gold at the Phoenix open today :cool:

grats!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I don't track mat time hut it's an interesting stat to consider. Is that only rolling? Classes? Solo drills at odd times? I'm early in my journey and I could get a fairly close accurate estimate of my time so far.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

butros posted:

Actually huh i had never actually thought about where that came from, good opint.

I basically track by the hour whether it's class, open mat, seminar or competition. I round up to the closest hour for >30 mins or down for <90mins etc. I don't spend time sitting on the side of the mat talking to people and if I do that's not getting counted.

The reason I track is because I think years aren't super useful as a metric because of stuff like last year where I didn't train past 13 March, and I want to be as consistent as possible so trying to hit a certain threshold per year (say a minimum of 3hrs / week but trying to reach 4.5hrs / week) is a helpful tool for me to do so.

e: also is your username a reference to the sludge band? because if so, awesome!

seems like a fair metric. maybe i'll go back and calculate my time, then. i don't do much sideline talking because the class i attend is the old farts morning class and we're lucky to get 6 people on a given day, whereas the night classes are super crowded. i'm assuming "rolling" and drilling with my son on the odd evening at home doesn't count even if we have a mat... right?

and yeah, my username is a combination of donald knuth's (computer scientist) name and the band noothgrush. if you haven't heard their split with corrupted yet from 1997, go make that a priority.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Given the rise in yet more covid here in the states, does anyone have home-training strategies? I'm just a one tip white belt. I started training just a couple months before full lockdown here and only just got back to the mats earlier this summer. I kept my gym dues the entire time I was gone to try to support the place.

My son has been training as well and he's really flourishing but he's too young for the 5g chips. I still have him in the gym but I'm on the fence about keeping him there if it gets real plaguey again. If I pull him out, I'll leave again as well because I hear it's possible to have the shot and still carry the virus.

I have loads of videos but no training partner other than my son who's also a white belt. But he's young and I've got 50lbs on him. We wouldn't learn much I dont think. I gave up on solo training after about three months into the pandemic because it was mostly fruitless.

I really don't want to go back to just teaching myself boxing. I hate to give up grappling again. I was unable to find anyone who wanted to isolate and train in the garage or whatever.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

Belts don't matter.

I brought up my belt to point out that I don't have a lot of training so doing things at home without a coach would require a lot of instruction. Belts may not matter but at my level it helps me find training material.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Marching Powder posted:

bond with your son man.

this is actually an instance where i'd recommend danaher. because the weight difference is so massive, your boy's technique will need to be spot on to work when you get to the resisting part of drilling, and if he just can't get something to work on you, danaher has pointed out what it is exactly and then talked about it for 20 minutes.

Yeah that's the current plan. He already likes to drill and roll with me, I just think he'd miss the coaches and having some goals to work toward.

The only danaher video I have is his solo drills one from bjj fanatics. Are there any specific videos that would help? Maybe it's time to stop working on a cramped mat in the living room and convert the garage into a half-assed gym.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Thanks! Ive got Bernardo faria's fundamentals and Chris haueter's old school techniques videos. I'll add that one to the list.

I should be re-watching these anyway. I only get to go to the gym twice a week and observe my son's classes. One of which is bjj. Not using my potential training time wisely.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I'm terrified of the gyms here having to close up again with schools opening back up. They're planning on going to options for socially distanced classes and/or virtual for the kids again but I fear I'll have to leave (again...) if I pull my boy out. It wouldn't be fair and I've heard you can still carry it if you've had your shots. Since I'm only able to go twice a week, I'm stacking up some private lessons before things get too bad here. My plan I guess is just help my son train if we have to leave and then go hard on teaching myself striking. :qq:

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

I trained at a different gym this morning and it was pretty great. Picked up a private lesson because my schedule is silly busy. It's always interesting to see how different academies do different things. Points I noticed here is the moves taught were far more complex and then chained together, whereas my gym teaches 3-4 variations on the same move. They also said they don't let white belts roll until they get two stripes. I've only got one stripe but they asked me to roll anyway. I wonder if that cuts down on the spaz? I also got to see some moves I already knew but they explained things slightly differently so it worked out better in my head.

Go train with other folks if you can, it's bound to be helpful!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

no clue. i just figured it was a safety measure because at least in my gym, the new folks are super spaz. that might be because it's an mma gym, though? they seem to want to run in for the ground and pound. i'm not interested unless the buy me dinner first though.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

butros posted:

Yeah it's a bit of a red flag.

red flag for what? i really liked the place and was considering signing up there as well since their schedule meshes well with mine and my current gym's. that or get a couple more private lessons. i don't think i mind not free-rolling since i'd be doing it in my current gym anyway. figured it'd be good to learn from multiple sources until i get covid canceled again. :smith:

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

well, she pulled guard and almost got the triangle but she didn't get her hips off the ground so that didn't work.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

One of the simplest guard recoveries from turtle is to straighten a leg and fall to your side as your opponent starts to come to the side. I've actually never seen it before until my new professor showed me and its surprising how well it works. The other option I used was to re-granby into guard which sometimes works too and not just from turtle but from when they have started their pass.

i'm having trouble visualizing this... which direction are you falling? toward or away from your opponent?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Xand_Man posted:

Delta is exploding here and I've got an unvaccinated toddler. :sigh:

Time for another BJJ break.

i fear this.. i'm watching the scene here very closely. my son is 10 and unvaccinated. with schools kicking back into gear, i'm worried.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

well i just sent the email to the gym that my son and i are gonna take a covid break as well. this was sadder than i thought it would be. jiujitsu has been really good for my rotten brain and my son has been flourishing in bjj/kickboxing. couple of false starts for me. i began back in february 2020, had to bail in march due to the virus, came back around april/may this year, got me a stripe, and now i'm out. i've trained in other gyms when i traveled and it's been amazing. my boy just started up in june and he was loving it.

i told him we'd shift to training at home and keep his usual schedule. i also told him i'd get us some fancy gis and we'd come up with a home gym name and logo. get a couple patches made and maybe do up some screen printed sweatpants + t-shirts. i know for part of the time one of the (quarantined) neighbor kids will do kickboxing with us. i may also have a friend (also quarantined) that might want to come over a couple nights a week and train bjj with me (but not the kids).

i believe i'll aim to train with the kids two nights a week and then try to get my buddy to come do the same on alternate nights while continuing to do some solo muay thai in my garage three times a week. i obviously can't do any belt structures or anything but i think the kids will enjoy it. i'll just continue to work what my son already knows and then use my heap of bjj fanatics + grappler's guide videos and my copy of jiujitsu university from there.

anyone have suggestions for fun home gym names, logo ideas, training ideas, or maybe some kind of goals i can give the kiddos to work toward since belts aren't a thing?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

now that's a cool idea! like violent merit badges! should make some quarantine themed patch ideas, too.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

CommonShore posted:

FORT KICKASS :hellyeah:

and :justpost: your ideas and I'm sure you can get some feedback

i lack creativity so coming up with names is nearly impossible. the boy mentioned something about the old laundry folding joke. then something about naps and laundry service.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

CommonShore posted:

I mean feedback on activities/lessons and stuff.

Just name it fort kickass.

ah makes sense. at the moment, i think i'll have them start out with brief warmups, then drills, then "sparring" (basically tag) when the neighbor is over with him. for bjj he'll just be with me unless the neighbor gets a wild hair and joins in for that. will follow the same pattern there. we'll warm up, drill, and then we'll roll. he can get in a good roll against me most of the time if i'm careful because i have about 50lbs on him.

this isn't a punchkick thread so i'll leave that out but for the grappling i figured we'd work on guard passing and kimuras for the first couple of weeks and then move on to mount attack/defense from there given those are things he's familiar with. once he's got those pretty well down, i thought we could just start watching bernardo's 'foundations of brazilian jiujitsu' and then haueter's 'old school efficient bjj' from bjj fanatics if we have to go that far. i intended to use my grappler's guide account to fill in any gaps from there.

for me and my buddy that might come train, i'd probably do the same since he's greener than i am. just grind fundamentals for half an hour and then try to murder each other in 3min intervals for half an hour.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Yeah it seemed like a style that'd fit me, I just never got the chance to work through the vids. Maybe this gym hiatus will be a blessing in disguise.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

while i enjoy fort kickass, i don't think the childrens have seen archer. well, maybe the 13 year old. i thought about adding something like 'covid combat club' or 'quarantine combat club' to whatever title we end up with. we have a lot of pine trees so that's maybe something to toss into it.

i've got a buddy with an embroidery and screen printing shop so patches should be doable. i like this patch acheivement idea. might center it around the instructional vids.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

CommonShore posted:

Tide-Star MMA?

oh lordy, these kiddos love them some tik-tok so some tide-pod consumption related crap might work. ha! last i talked to the kids they were being vague about all the laundry and free naps from chokes+punches.

speaking of, when does my living room stop being covered in damp gis/shorts/spats/etcs? i swear they're multiplying...

EDIT:

we have a mess of pine trees. i was toying with something scientific sounding like the '[adjective] pines nap research center: covid combat unit' (soapy/sudsy pines?) or 'pine tree fold and wash combat club'. something fun will come out of this if i keep iterating, i'm sure.

knuthgrush fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 20, 2021

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

butros posted:

Never. Protip is to buy a box fan and hang the stuff up and point the fan at the stuff overnight, speeds up the drying dramatically and reduces the dankness you get from having a bunch of damp poo poo hanging up.

did you subscribe to my onlyfans account or something? i thought i was brilliant for doing the fan thing. that's my trade secret.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Try visualizing the rounds. I know that helps a lot of athletes. Rest and hydrate before the match and do us proud, goon!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Nestharken posted:

My close friend/training rival kept things very strict in the pre-vaccine phase of the pandemic because of family reasons and just trained in his basement with a white belt who was in a similar situation. They worked their way through about a dozen instructionals in that time, and it was beneficial enough that they're still doing it on their "off" days even though they've since returned to gen pop, as it were.

I don't have any suggestions that are better than "Fort Kickass" and the merit badge idea, I just wanted to say that it's a great idea and you have the right attitude and resources to get a lot out of it. Grappler's Guide alone easily has enough content to last you for years.

As far as laundry goes, a freestanding garment rack with a fan pointed at it is invaluable for hang-drying multiple gis/rashguards/etc.

thanks! the first time i had to leave the gym i didn't have any partners and did solo drills for three months and burned out. this time around if the kids fall out or my buddy doesn't dig it, i'm just going to focus myself entirely on punchkick until i can get back to the gym.

i currently do the garment rack and fan but with my son in the action as well, we're gonna probably need another rack. luckily it's been hot/dry out lately so i try to use the clothesline out back when i can.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Yeah I'd buy one. Any of the designs are fine with me based on descriptions.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

i prefer long but i can do short just fine. happy to advance pay as well.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I imagine white will make the flag stand out better but it's hard for me to want a white rashguard because I'm afraid it will stain?

can confirm. my only rash guard that has white on it is covered in blood stains.

EDIT - maybe that's not fair though, i might not have washed it quick enough after that particular incident.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Jerome Louis posted:

Competing at pans today, hope I don't go one and done 😄

gl;hf!

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Jerome Louis posted:

Got 2nd in my division and went 1-1 in the absolute, lost to the dude who got gold. Overall had a lot of fun but honestly the best part of this stuff is hanging out with my teammates

great work! as the others said, having fun is what it's all about.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

that constant learning is what i miss most now that i'm sitting out a second time due to the region crawling with covid zombies. i wanna go back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Covid numbers here have tanked so my boy and I are gonna start going back to the gym next week. Stoked to get choked.