Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

toplitzin posted:

Anyone got some easy/quick Swedish Meatballs recipe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Wu3Bps9ic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

EVG posted:

I’ve been wanting to try to replicate the delicious lentil soup made at my local Lebanese restaurant, but had no idea where to start. Does anyone have a recipe?

shoutout to Qubee for introducing me to shorbat adas in the last thread, but this has always been my go-to recipe, reducing the cumin to 1 tsp., since other recipes I found had the turmeric and cumin more-or-less in equal proportions

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is an oven-safe metal casserole pan generally stovetop safe? Like if I want to apply some gentle heat from a gas burner to make a pan sauce? It seems to have an enamel exterior.

edit:

Squashy Nipples posted:

Costco was out of my normal big package of chicken thighs, so instead I bought 10 pounds of "chicken tenderloins"

What the gently caress is this, how do I cook it?
Looks super lean.

pound flat, dredge in flour, egg, and Progresso Italian breadcrumbs or panko and grated parmesan and shallow fry

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 20, 2020

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
My Ozeri Touch Professional has served me well for 7 years and stores well sideways in a cupboard. It takes watch batteries, but I don't have a problem going out and getting new batteries when I need them every couple of years.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Schmeichy posted:

Speaking of pupusas, anyone got a good recipe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2XpKKAx5yo

I cannot vouch for this recipe, but I watched this video out of curiosity to find out what they were and how they were made about a year ago, and I think Rick does a pretty good job at breaking them down. He makes a beans and cheese pupusa. There seems to be a bit of technique involved in handling the dough, but they seem somewhat forgiving. For added flavor, I think you'd traditionally fry them in lard.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Xander77 posted:

is there a reason to use a whole smashed clove instead of (say) cutting it up into several thin slices than can be easily removed?

one reason could be it doesn't burn as easily, so you can leave it in the pan longer. it still continues to flavor a dish, and you end up with a roasted/pan-roasted garlic clove as a little snack after.

I'm basically regurgitating what Melissa Clark says in this video

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Head Bee Guy posted:

I got a hankering for Nashville style hot chicken. What are the preferred frying oils? Any recipes folks recommend?

I think lard is traditional. Bon Appetit and Babish both have good videos.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Anyone have any favorite canned salmon recipes? Salmon cakes seem to be the only thing worth using it for.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hawkperson posted:

What's a decent seasoning/easy prep method for chicken breast tenders? I'm cleaning out the freezer and these are up. They're super thin so I was just gonna do em in the pan, but for some reason my chicken is always bland when I pan sear it.

Too much trouble to brine them? That would ensure they are seasoned all the way through and would let you roast them and have them still come out juicy

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Hawkperson posted:

For some reason I had it in my head that you could only brine whole chickens? Anyway I've never actually tried brining things so it seemed like it was time. Kitchn article suggested that the best brine is 1/4 cup kosher salt, 4 cups warm water, and then whatever whole spices I might have, so the tenders are sitting in some rosemary, black peppercorns, and mustard seeds because why not.

edit: Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Oyakodon googling led me to a recipe for katsu chicken that I might try next

If you want to go the distance, to fully season your brine, I would simmer your desired seasonings along with the salt (and sugar if you choose) in water for a few minutes to fully extract the flavor of the herbs and spices and then pour the solution over ice to cool it down before submerging your chicken in it.

Also, I'm not sure what the Kitchn article recommended, but I think good food-safe practice if you're just doing a salt and sugar brine (two tbsp. of sugar for every 1/4 cup salt) would be to use tap-cold water and stick the meat and brine in the fridge while it's doing its thing.

Brining is such a quick and easy (imo) way to season lean meat that has a reputation for being tough, bland, and dry like chicken breasts and pork chops and make it more resilient to grilling, searing, and roasting by raising its water content and relaxing its proteins.

Hope the chicken turned out well

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
The more you leave meat to brine, the looser it will get, and you can definitely overdo it, but my experience has been you can brine something up to eight hours in the fridge and it will turn out fine

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Omne posted:

Dumb question...

I'm making a basic risotto as a side, something I've made dozens of times before. Except, I don't have a white onion (just a red). It's not worth it to go out just for this right now, but would the risotto taste bad if I omitted the onion?

while there are slight differences in flavor between onions, I would generally treat them as interchangeable in recipes, and while I think onion makes every recipe better, the risotto would probably be fine without it

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
should I defrost this bag of frozen Brussels sprouts before roasting them? How, and for how long? Room temperature or fridge? Should I take them out of the bag if there's a bit of ice in it so they are not just sitting in water?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Why is Trader Joe's Irish breakfast tea so drat good? Can any internet sleuths out there help me figure out which brand they are contracting to sell under the Trader Joe's label? The tea comes in an 8 oz. box with two clear plastic (used to be foil) sleeves of 40 round tea bags.

I sound like a crazy person typing this all out, but hopefully one of you Trader Joe's fanatics out there understand.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Oh yeah, I used to order CTC breakfast tea from Upton and Harney and Sons all the time, and I may do so again for something different, and maybe I'm getting old, but the cost and convenience of bags (bolstered by the quality of whatever brand this is Trader Joe's sells)

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
Sopa de ajo is one of my very favorite comfort foods, hangover remedies, and pantry meals. I love it. 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp. smoked paprika (I like to mix sweet and spicy), four fat cloves of garlic, two eggs, and two cups of chicken stock is my preferred ratio.

I don't really have anything to add other than to basically I think you are gonna have to basically make croutons and save them until you are ready to eat the soup. Personally, I can't be bothered and just cube a slice of whatever bread I happen to have handy, though anything too refined or crummy tends to make the broth a little too gloopy for my taste.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I did not know that about yogurt — thanks for the knowledge

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
please to invite

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
What are some of folks' favorite applications for those preserved roasted red peppers that come in a jar? I'm thinking sandwiches, but I could use some ideas.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I used to roast potatoes and onions with smoked paprika and garlic all the time. The garlic always burned, but I didn't care / know any better. I kind of want to do it my way for purposes of nostalgia, but beyond that, what are people's tricks for doing this correctly? So far I've seen 1) toss in garlic halfway through roasting or 2) infuse your oil with crushed garlic and strain before using.

Any other tips? Should I just use garlic powder?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
My dad gave me a very nice gift for Christmas last year of a Kamikoto kanpeki knife set, containing a vegetable knife, a slicing knife, and a utility knife, all single bevel.

I tried to use the vegetable knife (a nakiri?) to make a mirepoix for a stew last night, and completely mangled the carrots and celery before switching to my trusty Victorinox chef's knife for the onion before I ended up in the emergency room.

These knives are brand new, and unless Kamikoto is running a racket, I am sure they are plenty sharp — there just must be some technique I do not understand, because pretending the vegetable knife was a chef's knife just didn't work.

Can anyone knifesplain how I should be using these knives or point me towards a good resource?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Weltlich posted:

Are you left handed, or right handed?

Right handed — the flat side of the knife faces me if I hold it in my right hand, which Wikipedia tells me is correct

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Steve Yun posted:

Kamikoto is a giant scam selling garbage pig steel knives on Facebook, saying they’re worth $1200 and that you’re getting a bargain at $300 when they’re actually worth negative dollars. It’s a Chinese company pretending to be Japanese with a misleading name and vague marketing. I wouldn’t even use them to cut off a toxic relationship

thanks for this — I had no idea. my dad loves his catalogs and splashing money around on "deals" in his retirement, so I guess I'm not surprised someone had his number. I will try playing around with them a bit more, but this makes me feel better about parting with them in the future if I can't get any use out of them.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

vuk83 posted:

Anyone have a good goulash recipe, preferably too the simple side?

late with this, but I've always enjoyed this one.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

McCracAttack posted:

If a tex-mex recipe calls for chile powder (not chili powder) which of these would be most correct?

Or is there really something that's just called "chile powder" in the spice isle and my eyes just keep glossing over it?

If it's a Tex-Mex recipe, I would just cut to the chase and use up the chili powder, which is probably a mysterious blend of indeterminate powdered chilis, oregano, cumin, and garlic. I think this is what all one-bottle chili powders are.

If you want to be fancy, I would use a combination of ancho, chipotle, and cayenne pepper powder in a ratio of 12:4:1 (for example, 1 tbsp. ancho, 1 tsp. chipotle, 1/4 tsp. cayenne/ground red pepper). If the recipe doesn't call for cumin, oregano, or garlic, I'd probably also add that in the same amounts as the chipotle powder (I'm following the rations outlined in this template) and throw in as much garlic or garlic powder as you like.

Just ancho chili (chile?) powder would probably also be just fine? Maybe a little one note. Do not use only chipotle powder or ground red pepper unless you want to burn the gently caress out of your mouth.

edit: I think "chile" is just the Spanish spelling of chili?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
I have also read that cast iron users should prefer oils mostly comprised of unsaturated fats. I just use canola oil.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Bluedeanie posted:

I have a recipe that calls for one 15-oz can of crushed tomato. In my pantry I have a 15-oz can of diced tomato. Can I crush them by hand as I would whole tomato or would the ratio of fruit to fluid come out too fucky?

if I were you and buying a different 15 oz. can of tomato product is in any way in convenient, I would just use it — especially if you can blend/crush it yourself. Maybe add some tomato paste if you're concerned it won't be tomato-rich enough?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
somewhat urgent question:

context: making avgolemono soup

can I gently heat or slow-cook a sauce with egg that has been tempered, or will the egg eventually curdle over time?

I am fairly certain I have diluted the egg well enough. My concern is just whether a gentle simmer will cause it to settle or fall out

edit: I added it to the pot and am trying to heat it gently — will report back

DasNeonLicht fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 23, 2021

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

minus a bit of a skin that formed, the broth is still creamy :sweatdrop:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Stupid Decisions posted:

Going to make my own pasta for the first time this weekend. Recommendations for a simple sauce to go with? Nothing too complicated in case I mess up the pasta.

My favorite: https://www.seriouseats.com/easy-italian-amercian-red-sauce-recipe

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

one of my favorite things — I don't know why I don't make this more often — better texture and taste than sauteed spinach with garlic

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

stinkypete posted:

I am about to be gifted 40 pounds of white onions other than digging a root cellar in my back yard to store them. I have never fermented onions and I don't know if they have enough sugar to complete the ferment. I have 4 gallons of white vinegar to go that route. Right now I am thinking of drying them since that seems the most economical.

I don't think it will make all 40 pounds last, but if you want to set aside a portion for fresh use, I have had some good luck using perforated paper bags to extend the shelf life of the yellow onions (and potatoes) I keep in my pantry.

also, username/post combo

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
cow and bug in perfect harmony ;)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2squ75

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Scientastic posted:

My vote is for kippers.

I love kippered herring on toasted pumpernickel with a poached egg for breakfast

I call it the Baltic Harbourmaster

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Butterfly Valley posted:

If you're doing all what's the point of buying sauce in the first place? Just get some much cheaper tinned tomatoes, the treatment you're giving them is making your own sauce anyway

I agree with this. There's no shame in a traditional Italian American gravy/red sauce, but if you're going to leave something that long on the stove, I'd try to get a little closer to scratch. What is it you like about the jarred sauce? Does it use red wine? mushrooms? You can still add those things!

That said, I love onion, so I definitely used to brown an onion in a pan before dumping out a jar of tomato sauce and letting it thicken before refrigerating it for lunch for the week, so I get it. Starting with canned tomatoes is just kind of the logical conclusion.

tl;dr: there is nothing wrong with what you're doing, but try making it from scratch and see if it's any more fun or rewarding

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

black.lion posted:

Hi, long time food consumer, first time poster

I got a bad report card on my bloodwork and now have to find a way to maintain my sanity on a low cholesterol/Mediterranean diet

I want to eat a lot of lentils. When I cook lentils myself, they become mush, which is okay if I do the spices right. But when I've had lentils at restaurants they are not mush, they are little yummy lentils with some structural integrity.

So I need a crash course on how to properly prepare lentils (I'm thinking specifically of how they're made in Indian food, but whatever); I'm also hoping the answer doesn't involve adding any cream or butter or I'm totally hosed tia

50% of my posts are me posting the same recipes over and over again (but they're good recipes, bront).

Anyway, this levantine red lentil dish slaps. Certainly a bit stodgy, but the lemon juice brightens it up. It's cheap, quick to make, and easy to customize.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib
The other day, I was roasting something and my (very old) mechanical oven thermometer didn't come up to temperature until well after my fairly new electric oven told me it was up to temperature.

Is the thermometer slow or is my oven fast? Should I buy a new oven thermometer? Is it good practice to wait 10 minutes after preheating no matter what your oven says?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

DildenAnders posted:

I have 1.4 lbs of ground beef, and an excess of onions and carrots. I'd like to make some meat sauce. How much carrot, onion, and tomato sauce should I add to that amount of ground beef?

I would choose a big onion (or as much onion as you want, I'd say up to a pound), then half the onion's weight in carrots.

Celery is not essential, and using celery salt would be a good workaround.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

hyper from Pixie Sticks posted:

I'm attempting risotto tonight, but what other dishes would folk recommend? (wife is gluten intolerant and I have a peanut allergy, but all other dietary stuff is fine)

Chicken cacciatore!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

Fallen Rib

Skyarb posted:

I have started using stainless steel pans more. Whenever I do high heat cooking my pans get very dark colored stains on them, I think its baked in oil or something. However just scrubbing with soap and water doesn't always seem to get those stains off. I kinda ignore it because it doesn't seem to effect much but I guess I should check if A) is that ok to do, or B) how can I properly clean those pans if soaking an scrubbing isn't enough.

baking soda and simmering water has always gotten any gunk Barkeeper's Friend wasn't able to remove for me